Sir, Scottsdale Feedlot signed off on my cattle agitation study.
气味像是有一半牲口先签了名
Smells like half the herd signed it first.
不,教授,牲口不会签
No, sir. Cattle can’t do that.
我不需要你给我杂♥志♥,我已经订阅了
And I don’t need the magazine. I’m a subscriber.
我只是想确定你看到…
Well, I just wanted to make sure you saw my article
我写的把哞声当作牲口骚动导引的文章
on mooing as a guide to cattle agitation.
完整的论文还在打字,星期五应该可以交给你
Full thesis is still at the typist, but you should have it by Friday.
恬普?
Temple?
-我们去火边唱歌♥吧。 -不,拉尔夫。
– Let’s go sing near the fire. – No, Ralf.
纽约州布朗克斯维尔 1975年
圣诞快乐
Merry Christmas!
恬普
Temple!
我们的理学硕士
Well, Master of Science.
动物学的理学硕士
Master of Science in Animal Science.
好极了,我想妳一定很高兴回到东部吧?
Fantastic. I’ll bet you’re glad to be back East.
我喜欢西部
I like the West.
我也喜欢,但那里不是家乡对吧?
So do I, but it isn’t home, is it?
妳的硕士学位要怎么用?
What will you do with your master’s?
妳妈说妳也许会教书?
Your mother mentioned teaching maybe.
西梅德福有一所很好的新学校
Great new school over West Medford way.
我还有很多研究和写作要做
I have a lot more research to do and things to write. So…
对,妳出版过论文
That’s right, you’ve been published.
妳记得史考特吧?
You remember Scott?
史考特?
Scott?
史考特
Scott?
史考特,这边
Scotty, over here.
我马上回来
I’ll be right back.
他是我们最大的孩子
He’s our oldest boy.
纽约客杂♥志♥登他的文章
New York Magazine’s taken a piece of his.
记得史考特吗?
You remember Scott?
他曾经在我的果冻上吐口水
He used to spit in my Jell-O.
我确定他没有
I’m sure he didn’t.
恬普,跟他谈妳的写作
Temple, tell Scott about your writing.
我的…
my···
亚利桑那农牧杂♥志♥刊登了我的两篇文章
published two articles in the Arizona Farmer-Ranchman.
亚利桑那…
The Arizona…
亚利桑那农牧杂♥志♥
The Arizona Farmer-Ranchman.
一篇是好的和坏的叫声
One was on good moos and bad moos.
另一个是关于牲畜滑道和屠宰栏里的头箍
The other was on head restraints in cattle chutes and killing pens.
它们设计得很糟糕,是个糟糕的系统,只是…
They’re really badly designed. Just terrible systems. Just…
真高兴见到妳,恬普
It’s lovely to see you, Temple.
再见
Bye.
圣诞快乐
Merry Christmas.
圣诞快乐
Merry Christmas!
我需要我的挤压机
I need my squeeze machine!
我讨厌派对,人那么多却没有一个听我说话
I hate parties. There are too many people and no one listens to me.
他们一直互相使眼色而我看不懂
And they keep giving each other looks and I don’t know what they mean.
他们只是不舒服
They’re just uncomfortable.
大家不想听牲口的那些细节
People don’t want to hear all those details about cattle.
我想听,我想跟牲口在一起
Well, I do. I wanna be with cattle.
甜心,我不希望妳逃避人
Sweetheart, I don’t want you to avoid people.
他们让我难受
They make me feel bad.
那就别理会他们
Then ignore them.
妳是房♥间里唯一的硕士
You are the only Master of Science in the room.
我以妳为荣
And I am so proud of you.
恬普,看我,看我
Temple, look at me. Look at me.
知道人会互相用眼神说话吗?
Do you know how people tell each other things with their eyes?
这是我在说我爱妳,尊重妳
This is me telling you that I love you and I respect you.
我永远学不会这样做
I will never learn how to do that.
我知道
I know.
喂!
Hey!
该死!
Damn it!
不准妳进来
You are not allowed in here.
我为一篇文章做研究
I’m doing research for an article…
不行,小姐
No, ma’am.
妳上州立大学时,我们容忍♥妳溜进来
We put up with you sneaking in here when you was at Arizona State,
但妳毕业了,不上大学了
but you’re done with that. No college,
没有保险,不准进入
no insurance coverage, no access.
我还想替你们写很多文章
There are many other articles I would like to write for you.
第一,如何让牲口自行进入消毒池,第二…
Firstly, how cattle can be introduced into dip vats on their own accord. Secondly…
等一等,葛兰亭小姐
Hold on, Miss Grandin.
第一,妳的文章很受欢迎
Firstly, your articles have been greatly appreciated.
很多人打电♥话♥来
I got a lot of calls.
大家觉得妳说得有理
Folks think you talk sense.
第二,我说过妳写的文章我全都会看
Secondly, I told you I would read anything that you write.
但是小姐,第三点是妳到城里办事要换套衣服
And, thirdly, young lady, you need another set of clothes when you come into town on business.
我需要成为有证件的记者
I need to be an accredited press person.
可以给我记者证吗?
Can I get a press pass?
你想要一份工作?
You asking for a staff job?
我只有四个员工,其中两个管会计和发行
I ain’t got but four staff, and two of them are bookkeeping and distribution.
不,我不想在这里工作
No, I don’t wanna work here.
我想跟牲口在一起,所以需要通行证
I wanna be with cattle, so I need a pass.
我们可以给妳,但我说过…
Well, we can do that. But like I said…
玛丽安,进来
Mary-Anne? Get in here.
长官
Sir?
妳穿这套衣服如何,葛兰亭小姐?
How’s that working for you, Miss Grandin?
不痒,我很喜欢
It doesn’t itch. I like it a lot.
这就是我的军衔,他们将会看到
That’s my rank. They’ll be able to see that.
搞什么?该死!
Hey, what… Damn it!
用这个,恬普,妳很臭
Use it, Temple. You stink.
谢谢你
Thank you.
恬普?
Temple?
恬普葛兰亭小姐?
Miss Temple Grandin?
我是泰德吉柏特
I’m Ted Gilbert, from
来自约翰韦恩的红河圈养场
John Wayne’s Red River Feedlot.
你好,我很高兴见到你
Hello, I’m very pleased to meet you.
我阅读了妳写的东西
Hell, I’ve been reading your stuff.
妳想实行那些事吗?
How’d you like to put it into practice?
我失去了设计师,但我需要新消毒池
See, I lost my designer and I need a new cattle dip.
妳办得到吗?
Can you do it?
相当简单,但我要在5天内提出计划
It’s pretty simple, but I got to present plans in five days.
当然可以
Sure!
这很聪明,妳是怎么想出来的?
This is very clever. How did you come up with this?
我只是把看到的东西凑在一起
I just see things and put them together.
-你要多久才能… -这些是什么?
– So how long will it take you to… – And all this?
这是引导牲口进来的东西
That’s to lead the cattle in.
牠们很乐意跟着曲线走
They’re happy to follow a curve ’cause they think they’re going back
因为牠们以为要回到起点
to where they came from.
我全听妳的
Lf you say so.
是的,你们要多久才能做好?
I do. So how long will it take you to do it?
这之前我还有两,三个
Well, I have two or three more before this.
但我明天就要
But I need it by tomorrow!
大家都是明天就要
Everybody needs it tomorrow.
妳盯着我,我也不会更快
I won’t work any quicker with you watching.
我想看
Well, I wanna watch.
好吧
Okay.
你好,恬普?
Hey, Temple?
这位是牲口杂♥志♥社的雷德哈里斯
This here is Red Harris from Cattle magazine.
幸会,哈里斯先生
Very nice to meet you, Mr. Harris.
是的,雷德明天不能参加开幕典礼
Yeah, Red, he can’t make the grand opening tomorrow,
所以我先让他瞧瞧
so I thought we’d give him a sneak preview.
能让几头牛通过消毒池吗?
So, Temple, will you put some cattle through your dip while I’m here?
好的
Okay.
喂,打开栅门
Hey, open the gate!
如果赶牛的人在通道外慢慢向顺时针方向走,那么牛就会逆时针通过滑槽
So if the handlers walk slowly clockwise outside the chute, then the cow will walk counterclockwise through the chute.
看吧,牠们会跟着曲线走
See? They’ll just follow that curve.
牲口安静的走,以为跟着同伴们绕圈子
The cattle just keep calmly walking thinking they’re going in circles and following their buddies.
牠们很乐意跟着曲线走
And they’re happy to follow a curve
因为以为要回到来处
because they think they’re going back to where they came from.
牠们没事,因为有凹槽牠们知道不会滑
They’re okay because it’s grooved and they know they won’t slip.
所以当他们继续走时,重心会让他们平静地掉下去
So when they take the next step, their center of gravity makes them drop calmly into the dip

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!