敬——
Draw…
礼!
…swords.
第11轻骑兵团列队完毕,请检阅
11th Hussars present and ready
for your inspection, my lord.
我无意回顾我一生的是非曲直
I do not propose to recount my life
in any detail what is what.
穷究细节对任何人都毫无意义
No damn business of anyone what is what.
老子是卡迪根伯爵,就是这样。
I am Lord Cardigan. That is what.
他们是老子的骑兵,是我给他们装备得盔甲鲜明。
Them Cherrybums, you see them tight,
I keep them tight.
我自己掏钱包,每年花一万镑用在他们制♥服♥上。
10,000 a year out of my own pocket
I spend to clothe them.
铸剑大匠都会自己给剑开锋,所以我让他们队形紧密,
A master cutler sharps their swords,
and I keep them tight-stitched…
让他们一往无前。很好。
…cut to a shadow. Good.
如果他们不搞女人,他们就打不了仗
If they can’t fornicate, they can’t fight…
所以如果他们怯战,我就狠抽他们的光背,
…and if they don’t fight hard,
I’ll flog their backs raw…
好让他们看着漂漂亮亮的。
…for all their fine looks.
诺兰,那是诺兰
Nolan. It’s Nolan.
刘易斯!
There. Lewis!
诺兰
Nolan!
他看到我们了
He’s seen us.
我几年没见过他了,他一点都没变。
I’ve not seen him for years,
and yet it will be like yesterday.
希望我可以像你一样爱他
I hope I can love him as you do.
亲爱的朋友!
Dear friend!
她是卡利沙么? 是我亲爱的卡利沙
– This is Clarissa?
– This is my dear Clarissa.
我回来两天了,我们在亚丁的时候写过信。
I’ve landed two days.
We were handed letters at Aden.
你确实胡写了不少,威廉,
总之朋友,我不是在这儿了
You do scribble a lot, William.
Still, dear friend, I’m here.
你知道我被委派到第11轻骑兵团了。
I am gazetted to the 11th Hussars,
you know that.
我哥哥准备加入第11轻骑兵团,诺兰上尉
My brother is to join the 11th Hussars,
Capt. Nolan.
我在扮便衣间谍
I’m playing the spy in Mufti.
我还没有报到,所以我抓住时机从旁监视他们
I’ve not joined yet, so I took
the opportunity of a spy’s eye at them.
他们怎么样,威廉?
Are they good, William?
他们看上去不错,卡迪根把他们打扮很漂亮。
They look good.Cardigan has them looking good.
是,坐骑装饰的非常好
Yes, the mounts do look pretty dressed up.
总之……
Still…
见到你们两个真是太好了,
这里的一切
…it is good to see you both,
and here of all places.
都很好
It is good.
英格兰看起来很好
England is looking well.
凡妮!
卡利沙!
– Fanny!
– Clarissa!
先生们,女士们,
你们肯定和我一样高兴…
Ladies and gentlemen, I am sure
you will all be very glad to join with me…
让我们一起祝愿这对新人健康长寿
…in wishing the young couple long life…
美满幸福。
…happiness,
and all that they wish themselves.
祝福祝福!
Hear, hear.
新郎和新娘!
The bride and bridegroom.
伦敦的青年们,加入我们吧
Young men of London,
fall in and follow me, boys.
如果你们没有被残酷的老爷们饿死…
If you would not be starved
by cruel masters…
如果你们不愿被除了女王外的别人统治,上帝保佑她……
…if you would not be ruled by anyone
except the Queen, God bless her…
谁愿意去搏个富贵,追求财富华服和荣誉…
…but who do have the urge to seek wealth,
fine clothes, and glory…
你们最好是…
…you can do no better than to enlist…
应征加入第11轻骑兵团
…for the 11th Regiment of Hussars.
我们曾战斗在克洛丹,弗兰迪斯,萨拉曼卡,滑铁卢
Culloden. Flanders. Salamanca. Waterloo.
我们是阿尔伯特亲王的婚礼护卫队,
An escort to Prince Albert
on the occasion of his wedding…
后来他要我们当他的亲卫,上帝保佑他
…after which he called us his own.
God bless him.
我们的军服鲜明而暖和。
Our dress is bright and warm.
我们的战马驯服有礼,平时稳当,战场上冷静。
Our mounts is mastered and mannered,
gentle in ride and calm in battle.
我们的军官不会大喊大叫。
Our officers just whisper.
他们跟我一样,宁愿选择
They being of the opinion, like myself…
在前面带领冲锋去追求荣誉
…that more can be done glorious
by leading from the front…
也不愿拖在后面逡巡不前
…than can ever be brought off by prods
up the arse from the rear.
抬起头来,先生
Hold your head up, sir.
我想你很适合当个骑兵
I believe you would look a rare treat
in stable dress.
你想参加么?
我常想去入伍。
– Are you respectable?
– I’ve often thought of enlisting.
看你的表现我就知道你想入伍。
I thought you had,
by the fine way you carry yourself.
但我品行不好,刚出狱
I’m a bad character, just out of jail.
那样的话,你已经在为陛下服役了
In that case,
you’ve already served Her Majesty.
卡迪根爵士的骑兵们,跟我来
Lord Cardigan’s Cherrybums, follow me.
衣着要整洁,这非常重要
Keep yourselves clean, that’s important.
你们永远不要为挣钱参军,
You’ll never want for money,
and the glitter of a Hussar…
你们华丽的军容会让快乐的女士们心驰神往。
…is something I’ve seen the gay ladies
pearling their eyes after.
要驯服,要整洁
Be obedient, be clean.
不要贪杯
What is a pitfall is drink.
这与我没关系,我不喝酒
That will not concern me,
for I do not drink.
与你有关系的是,永远不准以这种态度来与你的长官说话。
What will concern you is, you’ll never
speak to an officer in that manner again.
立正!
Attention!
把这群渣滓弄干净
Scrub the scum clean.
老沙迪会把你们分到队伍里,教你们纪律
Old Swaddy will settle you into your troop,
show you the way of it.
发给你们装备,把你们弄干净
Bossing your kit and being clean.
没错,脱♥光♥.
Right, strip off.
新兵们怎么样?
他们个个瘦得皮包骨。
– What is the condition of them?
– They’re all wobbly-boned.
在英格兰征兵就是这样,身体很差,吊儿郎当。
Recruits in England are mostly wobbly
and bad-formed.
但军官可没有吊儿郎当的。
There is no such thing as a wobbly officer.
你们这些军士永远不会理解的是
What you sergeants
never seem to understand…
当军官的职责所在。
…is the state of responsibility
that an officer is in.
他们小心谨慎,庄重自持。
They worry,They hardly never wobble.
没有比轻骑兵军官餐厅更快乐的地方了。
There is no place happier
than a cavalry mess.
如果一个家伙愚蠢,粗心而懒惰
If one is a stupid,
inconsiderate and lazy man…
他就能像插在圆洞里的圆桩一样舒服地呆在军中。
…one can fit as a round peg
into a snug round hole.
要是哪天我被他们的懒散逼疯了,
我就会抓住两个,
At times I am so pent up with their languor
I could grab of two of them…
把他们笨脑瓜狠狠撞在一起。
…and bang their noddles together
till their doodles drop off.
我是柯廷顿,我要参军。
I’m Codrington. I’ve come to join.
参军吗,小伙子?
喜欢骑马吧?
– Come to join, young fellow?
– Yes. Fond of riding are you?
他嫩得像青草,或者马上就会绿了,
– He’s as green as grass.
– Or soon will be.
刚长大的毛头小子,靴子到是整洁
A fine growed-up fellow, though,
with very neat feet.
鲁伯特.
你疯了,先生。
You’re a madman, sir.
你也是个笨蛋。
And you are on your arse, sir.
我口喝
I’m thirsty.
羊肉里的盐放多了
It’s the salt from the mutton.
你没钱吗? 我没有。
– Have you got no money?
– I have none.
-衣服里也没钱? 我原来有
– In your clothes.
– It was…
我衣服里有钱, 真的?
– I did have money in my clothes.
– Did you?
我要出去喝杯酒,啤酒
I’m out for a wet, a drop of beer.
他们管啤酒叫“抨格”酒。
Pongelow is the drink, they call it.
“你认为我该给她多少钱?我在军营院子里遇见她
”How d’you think I paid her?
I met her in the barracks yard…
温柔地伏在她身上“
”… and gently down I laid her. ”

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!