My wife, Mrs. Duberly.
她一直在问诺兰上尉的事。
She’s been enquiring after Capt. Nolan.
那人被我拘留了。
Under arrest, that man.
I have placed him under arrest.
真的?犯了什么事?
Indeed, my lord. On what crime?
他行为不检,
Failing to behave like a gentleman
and turning the mess…
而且把军官餐厅搞成了黑瓶小酒馆。
…into a disorderly house
with black bottles.
我们得走了,卡利莎
We must go, Clarissa.
我会打听清楚诺兰的事,杜波利什么都不告诉我。
I’ll find out about Nolan.
Duberly never tells me anything.
全连立正!
Company, attention!
军士长

– Sergeant Major.
– Sir.
他准备好了么?
Is he shaping?
我会把他收拾利落的。
I would put him forward
as a good clean man.
他会吹军号♥吗?
他能胜任。
– Could he take the trumpet?
– That will be a good step for him.
好的,军事长我有事找你。
Good. Something for you, Sergeant Major.
继续勤务!
Carry on polishing, men.
军士长

– Sergeant Major.
– Sir.
我想知道诺兰上尉跟别的军官谈话的所有内容。
I want a report of any conversation
Capt. Nolan has with other officers.
你要一字一句记录好并向我报告。
You are to take note of whatever he
might say and bring the information to me.
要我监视他,长官?
是的。
– I shall spy, my lord?
– You shall.
长官
My lord…
命令我去监视别人,
To be asked to take up the spy…
这个我不能接受。
I am much distressed
to be asked such a thing, my lord.
我从军已经20年了,
After 20 years of coming up
from private trooper…
从小兵爬到下士以来,
…and keeping off the pongelow…
就从来没有沾过一滴酒。
…not a drop since corporal.
我不得不通知诺兰上尉这件事。
I shall inform Capt. Nolan.
I can hardly do other.
军士长,我看你脑子里进水了。
Sergeant Major, it is better that you take
a ball and put it in your own brain.
这事不用你了,从来没发生过。
You are finished now,
as if you had not ever been made.
真是个废物。
What a waste.
集♥合♥!
Your duties!
大门卫兵到齐!
Main guard present and correct, sir.
马厩卫兵到齐!
Stable guard present and correct, sir.
1中队到齐!
Number 1 squadron,
present and correct, sir.
左 右 左
Straw foot, right foot.
列队完毕,请您检阅,长官
Staff parade.
Ready, present for inspection, sir.
他喝醉了?
Is he drunk?
军士长

– Sergeant Major.
– Yes.
行刑都是根据军法条例
This is all according to the articles of war.
站岗期间醉酒,我没资格埋怨
I was drunk at my post.
It is not my place to criticize.
但是对军士来说,这是干到头了
But it will have a grave effect on
the noncommissioned officers…
因为只要犯一次错
…for it will show there is a slender thread.
就会剥夺军籍了。
One slip, and a soldier is deprived…
从军多年的坚持就化为乌有。
…of what has taken years
of steady effort to obtain.
请求开始!
开始吧。
– Permission to carry on, sir.
– Farriers, do your duty.
One…
…two…
…three…
…four…
…five…
…six…
…seven…
…eight…
…nine…
…ten…
…eleven…
站好了,保持安静
– Stand still and be quiet!
– … thirteen…
…fourteen…
每回都有一两个你手下的菜鸟军官忍♥不住吐出来
Always one or two of your younger
tyro officers brings up or flops over.
要不就像个娘们似的晕倒过去
Faints away like lily at bedtime.
残忍♥对待英国士兵的年代终将过去
The time should be past when such
treatment is inflicted on a British soldier.
这帮小兵不狠抽他们就不会打仗
They will not fight unless
they are flogged to it.
难不成你会这么指望他们?
Would you ask that of them?
指望他们打仗是为了同袍,为了钱,为了理想?
Would you ask they fight like fiends
of hell for money or ideas?
那可是异端邪说。
That would be unchristian.
…forty nine…
…fifty.
行刑完毕,长官
Punishment completed, sir.
松绑。
Unfasten.
军士长你下一步怎么办?你好像领不到退役补偿金吧。
What will you do now, Sgt. Major?
I doubt if he’ll have a pension now…
挺伤脑筋。
…and that worries me.
就是没有补偿金,我会继续服役。
I shall continue in the service,
though no pension.
你要以平民身份去报其他团?
Shall you enlist as a private
in some other regiment…
然后升回军士长么?
…and hope to make your rank again?
是的,长官
我没脸在11团干下去了。
I shall, sir.
I am too humbled to stay in the 11th.
那是谦虚,我也曾经谦虚过
It is humbling. I have had some humbling.
免不了的。
You can’t avoid it.
不摔打不成形啊。
There is no making without breaking.
长官,我一定要投诉。
诺兰,我们不会抽军官鞭子的。
– My lord, I must protest.
– Nolan, we don’t flog officers.
我还是被捕的身份么?
想让我放了你么?
– Am I still under arrest, my lord?
– You would prefer that you are released?
不是,我申请召开军事法庭。
I do not wish to be released from arrest.
I wish for a court-martial…
我会当堂提交你命令我的副官监视我的证据。
…that I may state some things of how
you asked my fellow officers to spy on me.
你撒谎,
You lie, sir. It is you who spy.
你才是在监视我。
Are spying up against me.
你逃避责任。
You shirk your duties, sir.
我在拘留中不可能逃避责任。
I can hardly shirk my duties
if I am not under command, but arrested.
你个撒谎的阿三兔崽子。
You lying scoundrel. Indian rogue.
不召开军事法庭
You will not have a court-martial.
你生于谎言,毫无名誉,必将死于谎言。
You were born dishonored and a lie,
and you will die in lies.
给我回来,我还没说完呢。
Come back here!
I have not finished with you.
忍♥住诺兰,他军衔比我们高。
Try not to hit him, Nolan.
We must remember our rank.
你个混♥蛋♥,悄悄说什么呢?
You blackguard, what do you whisper?
我为您不尊重我们的军衔而感到羞耻,我们毕竟是您的军官
I am ashamed that you are not polite
to our rank. We are your own officers.
军官?杜波利你就是个发饷的。
Officer? Paymaster Duberly!
你根本没有军衔,是个雇员罢了
That ain’t a rank, it’s a trade.
总有一天,会有一支士兵自愿战斗的军队,
One day, there will be an army where
troopers need not be forced to fight…
不是被鞭打驱赶上阵。
…by floggings and hard reins.
一支军队
An army…
一支保障良好的基♥督♥军队,
…a Christian army,
that fights because it is paid well to fight…
为了自己的妻儿英勇奋战的军队,
…and fights well because its women
and children are cared for…
职业化的高效军队。
…an army that is efficient
and of a professional feather.
我一定要为这样的军队而奋战。
I must fight for such an army.
亲爱的朋友。
Dear friend.
这只军队会带来前所未见的现代战争,
That army will bring the first
of the modern wars…
和最后的骑兵冲锋。
…and the last of the gallop.
看上去是要开战了。
是么?
– It does look like war.
– Does it?
我真的觉得法国人自打砍了我一条胳膊以后,
I do think the French have been
asking for it for some time…
就一直在渴求打一仗。
…ever since they had my arm.
但是这次估计不是法国人。
But it won’t be the French
this time, will it?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!