All that he is will end with him in that place.
他正处在他应该待的地方
And he is where he should be.
这慈善行为有什么意义吗
What use an act of pointless charity?
如果我辞去职务
If I resign.
对于这样戏剧化的事情 你没必要这么做
There will be no need for such theatrics.
威廉 迈纳将无法得到认同
William Minor is to be struck from all acknowledgments.
只要你愿意
You are to be welcomed,
我们很乐意你成为字典的贡献者
for as long as you like, as a contributor to the dictionary.
编辑会立即将此事汇报给布莱德利
Editorship will pass immediately to Bradley.
我会在今天下午委员的紧急会议上
I will be proposing this at an emergency meeting of the delegates
提及这个事情
this afternoon.
今天下午
this afternoon.
希望不要有任何异议
I do not expect any dissent.
那我不占用你的时间了
I will not thieve any more of your time.
是你的时间
Nor I yours.
牛津火车站售票处
Oxford Public Station” “reservation office.
– 有事吗先生 – 房♥主在吗
Yes sir? -Is the master of the house in?
詹姆斯
James.
一切都还好吗
Is everything okay?
抱歉 弗雷迪 我不知道还能去哪
I’m sorry, Freddie I did not know where else to go.
我失去了一切
I lost everything.
一切都毁了
Everything is broken.
我想记录每一件事情的历史
I wanted to document the history of each and everything.
给世界带来一本
To offer the world a book that
能解释上帝创造的一切事物的意义的书
gives meaning of everything in God’s creation.
或者至少是英语部分
Or at least the English part of it.
但我被打败了
But it has defeated me.
相反 我付出了对我来说有意义的一切
And instead I have paid for it with every thing that ever meant anything to me.
知道还有另一本书就打算那样做的
You know, I believe another book purports to do just that.
但比你抢先一步了
And it has already beaten you to the punch
跟我来 想给你看个东西
come with me Come, I want to show you something.
衬垫 鲱属小海鱼 废话
Dunnage? Sprat? Blag?
你换了多少新词
How many new words replacing the old?
有多少能表达新想法的新词
How many new words for ideas never imagined before?
你的字典增添了多少这种新词
And how many of them in your all encompassing book?
语言不能永远保持一致 詹姆斯
No language can ever be permanently the same, James.
没有生命的创造何谈语言
Not one that springs forth from life.
但是还没完成怎么可以半途而废呢
But how can the work be ended if not ever completed?
你付出了伟大的贡献给我们新的开始
What you‘ve given us is its heart along with a great jolt to begin the first few beats.
你的后代会将它延续下去
Generations after you will go on with this work
因为你已经教给我们方法
because you showed us the way.
但它永远都不可能完成
But it’ll never be completed.
你就放弃吧 把项目留给我
Let it go. tend to yourself. Leave the project to me.
我有几个诀窍是乔伊特
I have a trick or two that Jowett
和他的仆从杰尔没有考虑到的
and his lackey Gell have not considered in their maneuvering.
艾达
Ada.
布莱德利成为负责人后
With Bradley in charge and
通过大学出版社坚定地努力
the university press firmly driving the endeavour,
相信我们可以将目前销♥售♥预测翻一番
we believe we can keep to our desired target of 704 pages a year,
保持每年704页的预期销♥售♥目标
doubling current sales estimates.
我们认为可以达到所期望的目标
We think we can stay On our desired goal.
每年704页 是目前销♥售♥量的两倍
Which is 704 pages per year Where we double the current sales estimate.
谢谢你 杰尔先生
Thank you, Mr. Gell.
好的 先生们 我想我们现在有了
Well gentlemen. I believe we are all now sufficiently informed
足够的信息去投票表决了
to put the motion to a vote …
非常抱歉 我丈夫不能出席
Sorry, my husband is unable to attend.
我想请求允许 替他说几句话
I would like to ask permission to say a few words in his stead.
默里夫人 这是非公开会议
Mrs. murray, this is a closed meeting
恐怕你应该离开
I’m afraid you should leave.
我和我的家人为委员们带来了荣耀
My family and I have given much for he glory of the delegates,
杰尔先生
Mr. Gell
我相信他们可以给我腾一些时间作为回报
I am certain they can give a few moments of their time in return.
当然 默里夫人 我们洗耳恭听 请
Of course, Mrs. Murray. We are here to listen. Please, go ahead.
我丈夫有一张小牛皮床单
My husband has this silly little leather parchment,
上面刻着 只有最勤奋的生活
On it, he’s engraved a creed. “Only a most diligent life.”
勤奋 我在你的字典里面找到这个词
Diligence. I looked it up, in your dictionary.
为实现自己追求的目标而坚持不懈地努力
Constant and earnest effort to accomplish what is undertaken.
不仅有坚持和努力 还会有艰辛和疼痛
Persistence. Application. But also, toil. And pain.
有些人认为我的丈夫愚蠢
Some of you think my husband a fool.
固执 天真
Obstinate. Naive.
都知道未来没有什么好的前景
Driven to way his from fear of what awaits us all on the other side.
但他并没有退缩
But he isn’t.
他看清了这个世界的一切
He sees the world, all of it,
他原本可以选择放弃
with its myriad choices.
但他选择了坚持
And he chooses to be what he is.
然而在我们这个时代
Yet, two such men found each other
刚好有两个这样的人找到了彼此
in our time.
我丈夫和他那疯狂的杀人犯朋友
My husband and his friend, the murderous madman.
他们一起 给了我们伟大非凡的东西
Together they have given us something extraordinary.
我在这里请求你们 人性不该被惩罚
I am here to ask you to take exception to our prevailing natures.
请求你们不要因为人性而惩罚他们
I’m here to ask you not to punish them for it.
布莱德利告诉我你放弃了
Bradley told me you quit.
我尽力了 但他们很难被说服
I did what I could in there. But they’re a tough lot.
我们会离开这个地方 回到伦敦
We’re leaving this place. We’re going back to London.
这本书 不能你一个人说放弃
The book, It is not just yours to quit. It is ours, remember?
就放弃 它是给我和孩子们的
Mine, the children’s,
还有给其他无数人的
countless others’.
如果有爱 那一切皆有可能 詹姆斯
And they can, James, if there is love.
我现在知道答案了
I know the answer now.
我知道寡妇的问题的答案
I know the answer to the widow’s question.
你愿意为我做点事吗
I want you to do something for me.
我愿意
I will.
我要你去找她 然后看着她的眼睛
I want you to go to her. I want you to look her in the eyes.
如果你看到了宽恕 看到了爱
If you see forgiveness, if you see love.
我要你去帮助你的朋友
then I want you to help your friend.

yeah.
谢谢你 先生
-Thanks sir.
最后一次见他的时候他给了我这些
He gave it to me, the last time I saw him.
最后一次清醒的时候
The last time he was lucid.
他们不让我见他
They won’t let me see him.
你能说服他们让我进去吗
Can you make them let me in?
没用的 他不再是以前的自己了
It’s no use. He’s not how you remember
him.
我已经原谅他了
If I’ve forgiven him,
他们为什么还继续惩罚他
why should they go on punishing him?
谢谢你这么快就来见我
Thank you for seeing me at such short notice,
查尔斯先生
Sir Charles.
弗雷迪是个老朋友
Freddie is an old friend.
但我必须警告你 默里先生
I have to warn you though Mr. Murray,
杀人犯这个标签像疤痕一样会永远跟着他
the American murder is a scar.
可能还来得及治愈这个疤痕
Perhaps one that is still too fresh. And this will help it heal.
我觉得已经没时间了
I do not think so.
任何拥护他案件的政♥治♥家
Any politician espousing his cause is going to face
都肯定要面对公众的愤怒
public outrage.
赦免或缓刑的机会 实际上是不存在的
Chances of a pardon, or a reprieve, are virtually non-existent.
正义的代价是什么 仁慈的代价是什么
What price justice? What price mercy?
第一个问题的答案 很昂贵
Expensive to your first.
便宜但并不可取的
Cheap but unpopular to your second.
这是第二个问题的答案
As for the second question.
情绪是可以带动的 去找愿意听你的人
Look here, levers can be pulled. Get you a hearing.
但换作是我 我会去找参加听证会的人
But if I were you, I would do all I can to
尽我所能 提高成功的几率
find out who will be called to it. And I would stack the deck.
威廉
William?
威廉 你能听见我说话吗
William, can you hear me?
– 所有人都出去 – 我是詹姆斯
-Everybody out. -It’s James.
– 所有人都出去 – 威廉
-Everybody out. -William,
你得听我们说
You need to hear us.
我知道你能听见
I know you hear me.
我把米利特太太带来了
I brought Mrs. Merrett
– 别碰他 – 她需要和他谈谈
-Leave him be! -she needs to talk.
恕我直言 先生 让他们谈
All due respect, sir, leave them be.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!