他们将刚出生的同卵婴儿分离
They were separating identical babies at birth
为了这项科学实验
for the purpose of this scientific experiment.
而这些婴儿都来自
And these babies had all come
纽约市的一家领养机构
from one adoption agency in New York City.
“我说的第一句话是‘你是被领养的吗?’”
‘The first thing out of my mouth ‘was, “Were you adopted?”‘
“我来了 这不可能是真的”
‘There I am, this can’t be real.’
“双胞胎在出生时被分开了”
‘Twins separated at birth.’
“艾迪 罗伯特和大卫在19年后重聚”
‘Eddy and Robert and David reunited after 19 years.’
“这很美”
‘It’s beautiful.’
“蓝领家庭 中产阶级家庭和一个比较富裕的家庭”
‘Blue-collar family, middle-class family and a more affluent family.’
“在合理条件下养父母应该被告知尽可能多的孩子的背景”
‘Adoptive parents should be told as much as is reasonable.’
“有些事不对劲”
‘Something was just not right.’
“他们打开一瓶香槟”
‘They were breaking open a bottle of champagne
“如同劫后余生”
‘as if they had dodged a bullet.’
“我们所有人都是在路易斯·怀斯领养的”
‘All of us were adopted from Louise Wise.’
“路易丝·怀斯”
‘Louise Wise.’
“这些婴儿都来自路易丝·怀斯服务”
‘And these babies had all come from Louise Wise Services.’
劳伦斯·赖特打电♥话♥给我
Lawrence Wright called me
他告诉我关于这个实验的一切
and he told me all about the experiment.
我说 “这就像万恶的纳粹”
And I said, “This is like Nazi shit.”
现实像一个浪头打来
It was kind of like reality hitting like a tidal wave.
我们是一个科学实验
We were a science experiment.
这些人把我们分开 像研究实验室老鼠一样研究我们
These people split us up and studied us like lab rats.
我们没有发觉这件事 直到摆在我们面前
We didn’t recognize this stuff until it was put in our face,
直到出现在报纸上
until it was in newsprint.
但过去也有迹象
But there were clues in the past.
我记得很小的时候…
I remember from a very young age…
…有些人会来我家…
…people would come to the house…
…通常是一个年轻男人一个年轻女人
…usually a young man and a young woman.
他们让我参加测试
And they had me taking tests.
他们做了智商测试 个性测试
They did IQ tests, personality inventory tests,
眼手协调测试
they did eye hand co-ordination tests.
我确实记得有人来到家里完成测试
I do remember people coming to the house, having tests done,
方枘圆凿测试 还有罗夏墨迹测试
square pegs and round holes, and Rorschach ink block tests.
“你觉得这是什么?”就像这种东西
“What does this mean to you?” that kind of stuff.
艾迪告诉我 他小时候
Eddy told me that when he was younger,
他记得有人一边观察他一边做笔记
he remembers people watching him and taking notes,
他们问他问题
and they would ask him questions
他会对这些问题感到沮丧
and he would get frustrated with the questions,
他记得他们给他录像
and he remembers they were videotaping him.
我对拍摄记得非常清楚
I remember the filming more than anything else.
我记得有个手持摄影机拍我
I remember having super 8mm films taken of me
拍我荡秋千或者滑滑梯
when I was on the swing set, or on the slide.
他们每次来都会拍摄
Every single time they came they filmed.
骑自行车 扔球
Riding my bike, throwing a ball,
他们想看我能做多少次
and they wanted to see how many times I could,
你知道 还有弹跳杆 轮滑
you know, go on my pogo stick, roller-skating,
扔飞盘 射箭
throwing a Frisbee, shooting a bow and arrow,
你知道 他们吸引我的注意
you know, they had my attention.
我在表演
I was performing.
随着年龄的增长 他们来做的事越来越复杂
The stuff they did would be more complex as I got older.
我觉得很奇怪 我真的不明白
I felt weird about it, I didn’t really understand
为什么他们要经常来
why they needed to come so often,
为什么他们问我所有这些问题
why were they asking me all these questions.
大约在我9岁或10岁左右
Somewhere around age of nine or ten
我开始变得不那么自在了
I started becoming less comfortable with it,
我说 “妈妈 我还要这样做吗?”
and it was kinda like, “Mom, do I still have to do this?
“我还要这样做吗?”
“Do I still have to do this?”
当我们的父母领养我们时
When our parents adopted us
每个人都被告知我们会被跟踪
they were each told that we were being followed
作为正常研究的一部分
as part of a normal study
关于领养儿童的成长发展
of the development of adopted children.
他们不知道我们已经被分开了
They had no idea that we’d been separated.
该机构称出生在这段时间的孩子
The agency said the children born in this period of time
都会接受关于领养儿童的正常研究
were all gonna be in a normal study of adopted children.
而且 据我们所知 确实是的
And, as far as we knew, that was it.
他们说要进行新的研究
That this was a new thing they were going to follow up
所有的孩子都一样 所以当时我们接受了它
with all the children and at the time we accepted it.
就是那么一群人
You’re talking about a group of people
前往孩子家里抱着孩子
that went and held a baby
并对一个六个月大的婴儿进行心理测试
and did psychological testing on a six-month-old baby,
然后去另一个家庭看他的兄弟
and then went to another house to see his brother,
然后再去另一个家庭看他的兄弟
and then went to another house to see his brother,
并且进行了一年 一年 又一年
and did this over years and years and years and years
他们充分知晓
with full knowledge
我们就在半径100英里范围内
that we were within a 100-mile radius,
但彼此不认识
and not knowing each other.
这是不合情理的
It’s just unconscionable.
那是多么邪恶的人
Who would think that anybody would be evil enough
才会想出这样的事?
to come up with something like this?
在我的研究过程中
In the process of my research,
我了解到那个真正负责这项研究的人
I learned is that the person really in charge of the study
是彼得·纽鲍尔博士
was Dr Peter Neubauer,
纽约非常杰出的精神病医生
very distinguished psychiatrist in New York,
弗洛伊德档案馆主任
director of the Freud archives.
他是奥地利大屠♥杀♥的难民
He was an Austrian refugee from the Holocaust
他在纽约开了店 而且成为 你知道
and he set up shop in New York and became, you know,
美国精神病学的伟人之一
one of the great men of psychiatry in America.
我了解到路易丝·怀斯机构的人
What I learned is that people at the Louise Wise agency
在分离同卵兄弟姐妹
were separating identical siblings
然后由纽鲍尔领导的一个科学小组
and then a team of scientists led by Neubauer
会跟踪他们
would follow them.
但这不仅仅是三胞胎
But it wasn’t just the triplets.
还有其他孩子
There were others.
我的文章刊登后
After my article came out
另一对双胞胎发现了她们自己
another twin set discovered themselves.
今天她们来了
‘And here they are now.
非常感谢你们能来参加这个节目
‘I appreciate you coming on the show today.’
我们很荣幸’ – 宝拉和爱丽丝’
‘Our pleasure.’ – ‘Paula and Elyse.’
这个故事令人难以置信 这样形容不为过吧?
‘The story is incredible. Is that the way to tell it?’
这很荒谬 如果没有发生在我们身上
‘It’s funny. I mean, we say if it hadn’t happened to us
我们是不会相信的 – 这就像一部迪士尼电影
‘we wouldn’t believe it.’ – ‘This is a Disney movie.’
这比迪斯尼电影还要黑暗
‘It’s a little darker than a Disney movie.
当时我正在布鲁克林的公♥寓♥里
‘I was at home in my apartment in Brooklyn
和我两岁的女儿在一起
‘with my two-year-old daughter,
然后电♥话♥响了 我接起电♥话♥
‘and the phone rings and I answer the phone
是领养机构打来的
‘and it was the adoption agency.
“我们收到一些消息 你有一个孪生姐妹”
“‘We’ve got some news for you, you’ve got a twin sister.
“她正在找你”
“And she’s looking for you.”‘
你们都是高中试♥卷♥的编辑
‘You were both editors of your high school paper,
你们两个都去了电影学院
‘you both went to film school.’
这很有趣 因为我不知道你是否注意到…
‘Well, it’s funny because I don’t know if you noticed…’
我们的举止是继承的
‘Our mannerisms are inherited.’
我联♥系♥了领养机构
‘I contacted the adoption agency
我问他们 “为什么把我们分开?”
‘and I asked them, “Well, why we were separated?”‘
这是个价值百万的问题
‘That’s the million-dollar question of this story.’
他们说 “用于一项双胞胎研究”
‘And they said, “For a twin study.”
我们觉得我们的生活是被精心策划的
‘We felt that our lives had been orchestrated
由这些科研人员
‘by these scientific researchers
他们把他们的科学需求
‘who put their scientific needs,
研究需要或欲望 他们的职业兴趣
‘research needs or desires, their career interests
置于我们的需求和利益之前
‘before the needs of us, and the interests of us
同样还有其他被分离的双胞胎和三胞胎
‘and other twins and triplets who were separated.’
没有人能确定有多少同卵双胞胎
Nobody is sure of how many identical twins
参与了这项研究
were involved in this study.
有人告诉我6对到8对 但我们真的不知道
I was told six to eight, but we don’t really know.
当你做这样的研究时
When you have a study like this,
通常你会得到结论
normally you produce the results
你要表明样本大小
and you show how large the sample is
以及所有这些事情
and all this sort of thing.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!