您寄给我的
You sent it to me.
我是科勒·贝尔
I am…Currer Bell.
真名是C·勃朗特
C Bronte, that’s me.
这位是阿克顿·贝尔
And this is Acton Bell,
《艾格妮斯·格雷》的作者
author of Agnes Grey.
我想说的是
The point is, author of
《荒野庄园的房♥客》的作者不是我
The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall, not me.
埃利斯不能来 埃利斯不想来
And Ellis couldn’t come. Ellis didn’t want to come.
埃利斯… 总之就是
Ellis is… Anyway…the point is…
我们是三姐妹
we are three sisters.
我没有像托马斯·考特利·纽比先生
I have not sold the first few pages of my next novel
声称的那样
to an America publisher,
把我下一本小说的头几页卖♥♥给美国出版商
as claimed by Mr Thomas Cautley Newby.
那不是我的小说 是阿克顿的
That is not my novel, it’s Acton’s.
史密斯先生
I…Mr Smith, have nothing,
我跟纽比先生没有任何关系
exactly nothing, to do with Mr Newby.
我妹妹也是 现在她看清他的真面目了
And nor will my sister, now she has seen him in his true colours.
我们都很正直
We are people of integrity.
诚实
And probity.
我们来这就是为了这事
And that is why we are here.
把事情说清楚
To set matters straight.
抱歉 你是…
Sorry, you’re…
你是科勒·贝尔吗
You are Currer Bell?
什么你让感到怀疑 史密斯先生
What makes you doubt it, Mr Smith?
我的口音 性别还是身材
My accent? My gender? My size?
天啊
Oh, good heavens!
老天爷啊
Oh, good lord!
原谅我 我很抱歉
Forgive me, I’m sorry.
我也很抱歉 我们让你措手不及
I’m sorry, too, we’ve caught you off-guard.
但你看 我们觉得
But you see, we felt
最好的办法就是亲自来见你
it best to come and see you in person,
考虑到你信中的语气
given the tone of your letter.
我不希望会有任何更多的误会或疑虑
I wanted no room left for any further misunderstanding or doubt.
非常感谢 你叫…
That’s deeply, deeply appreciated, Miss…
勃朗特
Bronte.
当然 还让我们十分安心
And a great relief, of course.
你们真的赶了17个小时的路吗
Have you really been travelling for 17 hours?
连夜赶来的 你信中的口气那么…
Through the night. Such was the tone of your letter that..
你肯定累坏了
You must be exhausted.
奇怪的是 史密斯先生
Oddly, Mr Smith,
我觉得极其清醒
I feel extraordinarily awake.
你们住在哪
Where are you staying?
我们在牧师会咖啡礼堂预定了房♥间
We’ve booked into the Chapter Coffee House.
在主祷文道
In Paternoster Row.
我们的父亲在去剑桥读书前
Our father stayed there briefly
曾在那短暂住过一段时间
before he went up to Cambridge.
我妹妹和我 我另一个妹妹
And my sister and I, my other sister,
埃利斯 在去布鲁塞尔之前
Ellis, did once,
也在那住过一次
before we travelled to Brussels.
你们让我大吃一惊
You’ve taken my breath away.
勃朗特小姐 你得见见大家
Miss Bronte. Oh, you have to meet people.
你知道有多少人想… 萨克雷
Have you any idea how many people want to… Thackeray!
萨克雷 萨克雷
Thackeray, Thackeray…
萨克雷必须见见你们
Thackeray will have to meet you.
肯特 肯特
Er…Kent, Kent.
肯特 去叫史密斯·威廉姆斯
Kent! Fetch Smith Williams!
你得见见史密斯·威廉姆斯
You have to meet Smith Williams.
他非常欣赏…
He…he is such an admirer of…of…of…
他…
He was…
你们的才华
of your genius.
在读《简·爱》之前
He was the one that read…that
是他读了《教师》
read The Professor, and saw instantly,
然后马上认为此书能成功
before Jane Eyre
当然《简·爱》是非常了不起的
which is glorious, by the way –
他发掘了
um, he saw…
他发掘了勃朗特小姐
he saw, he saw, Miss Bronte.
整个伦敦文学界 整个伦敦
The whole of literary London – the whole of London –
都会不遗余力地想跟科勒·贝尔
will fall over itself to spend a minute
共度哪怕一分钟的
in the company of Currer Bell.
但是必须有人处理一下
Um, somebody really needs
纽比先生的事 史密斯先生
to do something about this Mr Newby, though, Mr Smith.
当然 肯定的
Absolutely, indeed.
会有人找他处理这事的
He will be dealt with.
请到我的办公室来
Please, please, come through to my office.
史密斯·威廉姆斯
Ah, Smith Williams!
这位…
This…
这位就是…
This is…
科勒·贝尔
Currer Bell.
多么完美
Oh, how perfect.
多么让人高兴
How delightful.
这位是阿克顿·贝尔
And this is Acton…Bell.
-埃利斯来不了 -你们喜欢歌♥剧吗
– Ellis couldn’t come. – Do you like opera?
我来照顾他
I’ll see to him, I’ll sit with him.
你确定吗
Are you sure?
你到她们的床上睡觉吧
You go sleep in their bed.
勃兰威尔
Branwell.
我要吐了
I’m going to be sick.
你们回来了
You’re back!
真快 大老远的到伦敦
That was quick! All the way to London.
-家里怎么样 -这个嘛
– How were things here? – Oh, well,
我们对勃兰威尔费尽苦心
we’ve had sad work with Branwell.
但除此以外…
But other than that…
那就好 那就好
Good. Good.
我最不想跟你吵架
You’re the last person in the world I want to fall out with.
我知道
I know.
我们只告诉了史密斯先生
We only told Mr Smith
和史密斯·威廉姆斯先先生
and Mr Smith Williams.
后来还有纽比
Well, and Newby, later.
没有其他人了 我们说得很清楚
No-one else. We made it clear
他们不能告诉其他人
they hadn’t to tell anyone else either.
他们带我们去了皇家歌♥剧院
They took us to the Royal Opera House,
史密斯先生和史密斯·威廉姆斯先生去了
Mr Smith and Mr Smith Williams did,
还有史密斯先生的母亲和姐妹
with Mr Smith’s mother and his sisters,
而我们只能穿着路上的衣服
and us with nothing to wear but what we’d gone in.
他们根本不知道我们的身份
They’d no idea who we were!
天知道他们怎么想我们
Heaven alone knows what they must have thought about us.
他…
He’s…
怎么了
What?
勃兰威尔
Branwell.
他一直在吐♥血♥
He’s been vomiting blood.
亲爱的艾伦
Dear Ellen,
我收到了你的来信
I received your letter informing us
很高兴得知你什么时候到了基斯利
of the time of your arrival in Keighley with great delight.
艾米莉和安妮期待着你推迟已久的到访
Emily and Anne anticipate your long-delayed visit
我也急切盼望你的到来
As eagerly as I do, myself.
我们会准时两点在德文郡盾徽酒馆外等候
We will be outside the Devonshire Arms promptly at two o’clock.
祝你旅途安全舒适
Wishing you a safe and comfortable journey.
有人是到基斯利的吗
Anyone for Keighley?
艾伦
Ellen!
夏洛蒂
Charlotte!
艾米莉
Emily!
-安妮 -纳西小姐
– Anne! – Miss Nussey.
哪个是你的箱子 是这个吗
Which one’s your box? Is it this one?
-是的 那边的箱子 -旅途如何
– Yes, that one there. – How was your journey?
漫长又无聊
Long, tiresome.
我们好久没见了
We haven’t seen you for so long.
我知道 我想你们
I know, I’ve missed you.
-我们走吧 -好
– Shall we go? – Yes.
我后来意识到如果不小心处理 我们就得
In the end I realised we’d delay your visit forever
一直推迟你的到访
if we weren’t careful.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!