小海伦·柏恩斯
Little Helen Burns.
她是你们的小妹妹玛利亚
That’s your little sister, Maria.
玛利亚是我们的大姐
Maria was our big sister.
是的 她当然是
Yeah. Of course she was.
她当然是
Of course she was.
我无时无刻不思念着她
Not a day passes when I don’t think about her.
还有小伊丽莎白
And little Elizabeth.
还有你们的母亲
And your mother.
我为你们感到非常骄傲
I am very proud of you.
你们一直都是我的骄傲
I always have been.
星期天
Sunday.
亲爱的约翰 如果你能想办法帮我弄到
Dear John, I shall feel very much obliged to you
包装精美的五便士的杜松子酒
if can contrive to get me
我将会非常感激你
fivepence-worth of gin in a proper measure.
要是能很快弄到酒的话
Should it be speedily got,
我也许可以在小路尽头
I could perhaps take it from you or Billy
去你或比利那取酒
at the lane top
我也可以派人去你那里取
or what would be quite as well, sent out for, to you.
我急需你帮我这个忙
I anxiously ask the favour
因为我知道酒会帮上我的大忙
because I know the good it will do me.
早上九点半你会准时得到报酬
Punctually, at half past nine in the morning, you will be paid
到时候我会从得到的一先令中分你五便士
the fivepence out of a shilling given me then.
爱你的勃兰威尔·勃朗特
Yours, PBB.
信来了
We got the mail.
-怎么了 -我们必须得去伦敦一趟了
– What? – We’re going to have to go to London.
-谁 -我们都是 我们三个一起去
– Who is? – We are. All three of us.
-什么时候 -今天
– When? – Today.
为什么
Why?
你的
Your…
纽比先生一定已经 我不知道
Mr Newby must’ve… I don’t know…
把《荒野庄园的房♥客》的头几章
sold the first few pages of The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall
卖♥♥给了一个美国的出版商
to an American publisher on the understanding
而且作者署名为科勒·贝尔
that it was written Currer Bell.
这中间肯定有误会
Well, it’s obviously a misunderstanding.
不是的 你能不能
No. Will you…
拜托你清醒一下
please…see
这个人其实就是个骗子 一个流氓
that this man is a con man. A rogue!
他在《呼啸山庄》里出现了多少打印错误
How many mistakes did he print in Wuthering Heights?
你当初那么费力地修改他却视而不见
Proofs that you painstakingly corrected that he ignored,
再加上现在这次
and now this.
我本来可以
My publisher is livid
把我下一本小说卖♥♥给另一个出版商 这件事让他气坏了
that I could have sold my next novel to another publisher.
他们拒绝了我下两部小说
They have first refusal of my next two novels,
现在反而觉得我是不讲道义的两面派
and now they think I’m some kind of unscrupulous double-dealer!
-那就写信解释清楚 -不行
– Well, just write and explain. – No.
不 我们得去伦敦一趟
No, we have to go to London
让他们看清楚我们是三个不同的人
and give ocular proof that we are three separate people,
那些小说不是一个人写的
the novels are not all the work of one person,
而且这封信完全就是垃圾
and that this is absolute trash.
我不会去的
Well, I’m not going.
-为什么 -因为你可以写封信解释清楚
– Why? – Because you can write a letter and explain all that,
而且说纽比搞错了就可以了
and just say that Newby’s made a mistake.
这不是一个失误
This is not a mistake!
这就是一个故意的欺瞒之举
This is a deliberate and deceitful attempt
妄图从《简·爱》的成功中获利 抱歉
to cash in on the success of Jane Eyre. Sorry.
-不是这样的 -就是这样
– It isn’t! – It is!
纽比和其他很多人一样 也会犯错
Newby has made the mistake, along with a lot of other people,
误以为我们是一个人 仅此而已
of assuming we’re all one person, that is all it is.
你为什么反应这么迟钝呢
Why are you so obtuse?
那你又为什么这么夸张
Why are you so melodramatic?
艾米莉
Emily!
我不希望因为除我之外任何人的
I don’t want The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall promoted and sold
欺骗 或者什么误会也好
on a deceitful… misunderstanding, whichever,
而导致《荒野庄园的房♥客》的大卖♥♥
that it’s by anyone other than me.
我们必须得去伦敦一趟
We have to go to London.
马上
Now.
今天就去
Today.
而且向史密斯和威廉姆斯先生解释所有的事情
And explain to Mr Smith and Mr Smith Williams what’s happened.
一想到他们可能认为我是一个狡诈之徒
It’s intolerable to imagine
我就无法忍♥受
they could think I could be so slippery.
但是 慢着 不行
But, wait, look, you can’t.
你不可以跑去伦敦 然后解释你们是谁
You can’t go to London and explain who you are
那样他们就会看到你们
because they will see you.
就是要让他们看到我们
That’s the whole point.
你保证过的 你向我保证过
Yes, and you promised, you promised me
我们永远不会向任何人泄露我们的身份
that we would never reveal ourselves to anyone, ever.
恐怕由于你的…纽比先生
I’m afraid because of your…Mr Newby…
导致我们处于现在这个局面
we now find ourselves in a…situation.
艾米莉 我觉得我们应该去
Emily…I think we should go.
不 你也不可以去
No! You’re not going, either.
-不 我要去 -不 你不可以
– No, I am! – No, you’re not.
纽比不仅损害了夏洛蒂的名声 也影响了我的
Newby’s compromised my integrity just as much as Charlotte’s.
我也不会再找他出版
I shan’t publish with him again.
如果你不愿意和我们一起去 那…随你便吧
If you won’t come with us, that’s…that’s your choice.
艾米莉 我们没必要为这件事争吵
We don’t need to fall out about this, Emily.
事关你的小说和你的名字
It’s about your novel, and your name.
和我一点关系都没有
It’s got nothing to do with me!
不要这样 艾米…
Don’t be like that, Em…
怎么了
What’s the matter?
艾米莉
Emily.
她是刀子嘴豆腐心 你知道的
Yes, but you do know her bark’s worse than her bite, don’t you?
夏洛蒂
Charlotte…
是《简·爱》
Jane Eyre.

Look.
女士们 需要帮助吗
Can I help you, ladies?
是的
Yes.
是的 我想…
Yes, I’d…
我们想找一下乔治·史密斯先生
We’d like to speak to Mr George Smith, please.
史密斯先生
Mr Smith?
史密斯先生很忙
Mr Smith’s very busy.
是…
Yes…
但是 这件事很重要
But the thing is, you see… it’s important.
我能告诉他是关于什么的吗
Can I tell him what it’s about?
就…
Just…
告诉他事关重大
Just that it’s a matter of importance.
我…我看看…
I’ll, er… I’ll see what…
我看看他有没有时间
I’ll see if he’s got a minute.
-请问你们是 -是…
– Who should I say is asking to see him? – It’s…
不方便透漏
That’s delicate.
他忙得不可开交
He is a very busy man.
我们坐了十七个小时的车过来
We’ve been travelling for 17 hours,
我们只求他不到一分钟的时间
and we’ll take up less than one minute of his time.
-先生 有两位女士找您 -什么女士
– Sir, two ladies asking to see you. – What ladies?
-没有说名字 先生 -关于什么事的
– Didn’t give a name, sir. – What’s it about?
我唯一能知道的是事关紧要
The only thing I could prise out, sir, is that it’s important.
对我还是对她们
To me or to them?
她们仅仅要求不到一分钟的时间
They’ve asked for no more than a minute of your time.
她们说她们坐了十七个小时的车
They say they’ve travelled for 17 hours.
女士们 有什么能帮到你们的
Ladies. How can I help you?
-请问你是乔治·史密斯先生吗 -是的
– Am I addressing Mr George Smith? – Yes.
这件事很机密
It’s a confidential matter.
我们…
We’re…
我们是来解除一个误会的
We’re here to address a misunderstanding,
一旦误会解除 对您和我们
which, once accomplished, will be to everyone’s advantage,
每个人都有好处
yours as much as ours.
首先抱歉耽误了您
And so we apologise for what must be an interruption
上午的工作
to your morning’s work.
但是也许您看了这个 可以清楚我们的身份
But perhaps if I gave you this, it would clarify who we are.
你从哪得到的这封信
Where did you get this letter?
信箱里 您寄来的
In the post. From you.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!