Here are the lists, milord, if you care to examine them.
布兵图在这里 能不能请你检视一下
Yes, milord. Oh, dear.
是的,大人 哦,天
Can’t be too careful, you know.
我得小心一点
Jail fever. Very prevalent.
那些狱卒都很脏
I now call Miss Lucie Manette.
现在请露西马尼特小姐出来
Miss Manette, have you seen the prisoner before?
马尼特小姐 你以前有没有看过被告
Oh, most unhappily, yes.
有 还很愉快
Answer the questions put to you. Make no remark upon them.
请你直接回答问题 不要加入个人意见
Where did you first meet him?
你在哪里认识他的
When the gentleman came onboard, I…
当这位绅士上船时 我…
If you mean the prisoner, say the prisoner.
如果你是说被告 那就请叫他被告
The prisoner noticed that my father
被告发现我父亲的
was in a very weak state of health.
健康情况不好
He was very kind and good to my father.
他一路照顾我父亲
To us both.
也同时照顾我
I hope I won’t repay him by doing him harm today.
我希望我出庭作证 不会伤害到他
It’s your duty to tell the truth,
你责任就是说实话
the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
全部真♥相♥,除了真♥相♥什么都别说
The prisoner understands that, or should.
被告应该了解
The prisoner was overheard
被告对
to make some remark about America.
美洲有做出评论
What was it? Be particular.
请你仔细说一下
He tried to explain to me the quarrel between England and America,
他向我解释 英国和殖民地之间的争执
and said that it might have been avoided
这些都可以避免
had England been less rash and more understanding.
只要英国能够多体谅殖民地
Oh, he, uh, he made treasonable remarks like that, you see…
这就是叛国 不是吗
Yes, but there was no harm in the way he said this.
但是他没有这个意思
Oh, we’ll leave that for the jury to decide.
我们让陪审团来决定
That will be all, Miss Manette.
你可以离开了 马尼特小姐
No questions, milord.
没问题了,大人
With your permission, milord, I’d like to call the witness Barsad again.
阁下 请你准许我再询问巴索
Mr. Barsad, did you discuss this case with Mr. Cly last night?
巴索先生 你昨晚有没有 和克莱讨论过这个案子
Last night?
我为什么要这样做
Why, sir I-I haven’t seen Mr. Cly since last Sunday’s services.
我们两个最后一次见面 是在上个主日崇拜
Services.
他会上教堂
My guess is he stole the collection box.
我想捐献箱是他偷的
Where were you last night? At home. Workin’.
你昨晚到哪儿去了 我一个人在工作
Working, Mr. Barsad? Just what is your profession?
工作 你做什么 巴索先生
Gentleman. Retired, of course.
我是个绅士 一个退休的绅士
And on what do you live?
你住在哪里
Well, I, I haven’t any just now.
我现在还没有
Oh, then at present, you’re not living.
那表示你现在没有在过活
Really, Mr. Stryver I don’t see that these questions are at all relevant.
真的,斯特莱弗先生,我觉得这些问题一点关系都没有
Mr. Barsad, have you ever been kicked?
巴索先生 你有没有前科
Certainly not. Come, come, Mr. Barsad.
当然没有 拜托 巴索先生
Weren’t you one time kicked down stairs?
你真的没有前科吗
Well, once I was kicked at the top of the stairs,
我有一次被抓
but I fell down the stairs of my own will and volition.
但是我是被陷害的
Wasn’t that kick the result of your stealing a silver teapot?
你那次是为了 偷一个银茶壶 对吧
I was maligned about a mustard pot,
我是被陷害的
but it turned out to be only plated.
而且那个茶壶不是纯银
I see. You were maligned.
原来如此 你有前科
Do you know a French marquis?
你认不认识一位叫 马克斯的法国人
No, sir. No?
我不认识 真的吗
A relative of the prisoner’s?
他是被告的亲戚
No, sir. No?
我不认识
And now, Mr. Barsad, I want to ask you the vital question.
巴索先生 我要问你一个严肃的问题
rests upon the identification of a certain man
取决于某个人的身份
whom you say is the prisoner.
就是被告
A man whom you saw enter the cabin on the Dover boat.
你看到他上了那条船
Now I want you to be very, very careful.
我要你仔细看他
After all, all we want is the truth.
因为我们要的是实话
Now, are you quite certain
你确定被告和那个叛国♥贼♥
that the man you saw was the prisoner?
是同一个人吗
Couldn’t have mistaken him for me, for instance?
比如说,不会把他错当成我吧?
Oh, no, sir.
不可能
Or His Lordship, perhaps?
或者是法官大人呢
Oh, tut yourself. Piffle.
不要乱指别人
Well then, could you have mistaken him
那么,你会误会他吗
for my learned friend here?
为了我的博学的朋友?
Why, uh…
这…
Ah, now you seem to think otherwise.
看来你有疑问
Will milord bid my learned friend
法官大人 能不能允许我朋友
lay aside his wig for a minute?
摘下他的假发
I don’t think it’s necessary
我认为没有这个必要
but if Mr. Carton doesn’t mind
但是如果卡顿先生不介意的话
and won’t catch cold in his head.
希望他不会感冒
Now, Mr. Barsad…
巴索先生
couldn’t you have mistaken the prisoner for Mr. Carton there?
会不会是你把卡顿先生 和被告弄混了
No, I…
不 我…
Well, sir, come to think of it,
我现在想起来了
as a matter of fact,
事实上
it was not the prisoner at all, sir.
被告不是那个叛国♥贼♥
That’s all, milord.
我问完了
As far as I’m concerned, it’s quite sufficient.
就我个人来说 这真有效率
Gentlemen, bah!
退席
The jury will retire and consider their verdict.
请陪审团去商讨结论
I shall never understand
我还是不懂
how you got that fellow to change his evidence.
你是怎么让他改变证词的
Oh, I just have a way of getting at the essence of the facts.
我有我的方法
The pith and marrow as it were.
我总是能一针见血
Really? Oh, yes, quite so, quite so.
真的吗 说的好
Oh, Mr. Carton, if you’ll excuse me.
卡顿先生 对不起
Charles, uh, Mr. Darnay will be acquitted, won’t he?
查尔斯会被宣判无罪吧
Charles… Mr. Darnay will be acquitted.
查尔斯宣判无罪
Mr. Stryver’s defense was brilliant.
史崔佛先生真是厉害
If he does get off,
如果他真的下车了
it’ll be entirely due to Mr. Stryver, won’t it?
这完全是斯特里弗先生的功劳,不是吗?
Nothing to it. Mere professional claptrap.
这只是举手之劳 实际是我
Young sir, give credit where credit is due.
年轻人 无功不受禄
Oh, uh, Mr. Lorry,
罗利先生
I would like Charles to know we wish him well.
请代我转告查尔斯
It wouldn’t do for respectable businessmen, especially bankers,
尤其是银行家
to be seen talking to the prisoner.
是不该和犯人说话
Might tell against the prisoner.
我去跟被告说
Ye… upstart.
他真是讨厌
Silence in court.
肃静
Gentlemen of the jury,
陪审团
have you agreed upon your verdict?
你们有达到共识吗
What is your verdict? Not guilty.
被告无罪
The prisoner at the bar, the jury has found you not guilty.
陪审团认为被告无罪
Prisoner dismissed.
被告 你可以走了
I’m so glad. So very glad.
我太高兴了
Charles. Charles, my boy.
查尔斯 我的儿子
Glad to have got you off with honor, my friend.
你让我感到荣幸,我的朋友
Never any other outcome possible.
你没事了
Barsad and Cly. Cly and Barsad.
巴萨德和克莱 克莱和巴萨德
Why, I could have told from the very sound of their names,
我一听到他们的名字
from the very run of the syllables
再加上他们的音节
that they were…
就知道他们是…
Well, uh, anyway, it was all very simple, really.
算了 实际上这不算什么
Well, Mr. Stryver,
史崔佛先生
shows you can’t tell brains by appearance.
你不像外表看起来
As between fellow artists, why not try another country?
那么笨 为什么不试试别的国家呢?
Uh, yes, sir. Yes, Mr. Carton, I think I should love to travel.
是的 卡顿先生 我很喜欢旅行
Perhaps France.
你可以去法国
Or you might like to go even further.
或是可以再远一点
Say, China.
中国
Never trust nobody.
不该相信人
My boy, never for a moment did I doubt your innocence.
我一直相信你是无辜的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!