记住 别缩着肩
Now remember, keep your shoulders back.
好的 胳膊搂着你弟弟
Okay, put your arm around your brother. That’s it.
就这样 对 呼吸
That’s it. Right, and breathe in.
对了 再来一张
Okay, one more.
好了 再说一遍
Now, just to review
一直走到校长面前
you’re going to follow along the procession until you get to the headmaster.
然后他会叫你把孩子们手里的蜡烛点燃
At that point, he will indicate to you to light the candles of the boys.
好了 孩子们 准备吧
All right, boys, let’s settle down.
举旗
Banners up!
女士们 先生们 孩子们…
Ladies and gentlemen, boys…
智慧之光
the Light of Knowledge.
一百年前 1859年
One hundred years ago, in 1859
四十一个孩子坐在这里
41 boys sat in this room…
被问到了同样的问题
and were asked the same question…
每个新学期开始都会问到的问题
that now greets you at the start of each semester.
各位 我们四大支柱是什么
Gentlemen, what are the Four Pillars?
传统 荣誉 纪律 优秀
Tradition. Honour. Discipline. Excellence.
建校第一年
In her first year
本校毕业了五位学生
Welton Academy graduated five students.
去年 毕业生是五十一人
Last year we graduated 51.
其中百分之七十五以上
And more than 75 percent of those…
进了名牌大学
went on to the Ivy League.
这种成就来源于
This…This kind of accomplishment is the result…
我们所孜孜遵循的上述教学原则
of fervent dedication to the principles taught here.
这是各位家长愿意把孩子们送到这儿来的原因
This is why you parents have been sending us your sons.
也是本校成为全美最优秀的预备学校的原因
This is why we are the best preparatory school in the United States.
大家知道
As you know
英语系的波希尔斯先生上学期光荣退休了
our beloved Mr Portius of the English Department retired last term.
本学期接替他的将是约翰·基丁先生
You will have the opportunity later to meet his replacement, Mr John Keating,
也是本校的优秀毕业生之一
himself an honours graduate of this school.
过去的几年中 他一直…
And who, for the past several years, has been teaching…
在享有盛誉的伦敦切斯特中学任教
at the highly regarded Chester School in London.
理查德 你忘记了你的包
Richard, you forgot your bag!
约翰 最近还好吗
Hi, Johnny! Hey, how you doin’?
不用担心 我拿到了你的房♥间安排
Don’t worry. I got your room assignment.
他们吃饭的地方没有改呀
They haven’t moved the dining area.
谢谢你光临
Glad you could come by.
-仪式很精彩 一如既往 诺兰博士 -很久不见了
-Thrilling ceremony, as usual, Dr Nolan. -You’ve been away too long.
-你好 诺兰博士 -很高兴你们能回来
-Hello, Dr Nolan. -Good to have you back.
-这是我们最小的儿子托德 -安德森
-This is our youngest, Todd. -Mr Anderson.
你的前途很大 年轻人 令兄是我们最出色的学生之一
You have some big shoes to fill. Your brother was one of our finest.
谢谢
Thank you.
-仪式很精彩 -谢谢 很高兴你能喜欢
-Lovely ceremony. -Thank you. Glad you liked it.
-盖尔 -汤姆
-Gale. -Tom.
-很高兴又见到你 -你好 诺兰先生
-Good to see you again. -Hello, Mr Nolan.
-尼尔 希望你今年能取得好成绩 -谢谢
-We expect great things from you this year. -Thank you, sir.
他不会让我们失望的 对吧 尼尔
Well, he won’t disappoint us. Right, Neil?
我会努力的
I’ll do my best, sir.
过来 孩子
Hey, come on, son.
-振作些 -好的
-Chin up. -Okay.
-别哭 -振作些
-No tears now. -Chin up.
-我不想来这儿 -亲爱的 我爱你
-I don’t want to go here. -Honey, I love you.
-我送你过去 -好了 好了 好好学习
-I’ll walk you over. -You be a good boy. Do your lessons.
嘿 听说我们同宿舍
Hey! I hear we’re gonna be roommates.
-我叫尼尔·佩里 -我叫托德·安德森
-I’m Neil Perry. -I’m Todd Anderson.
干嘛换到这儿上学
Why’d you leave Balincrest?
我哥就来的这儿
My brother went here.
就是那个安德森
Oh, so you’re that Anderson.
-这是治他鼻窦炎的 -是的 我知道
-This is for his sinuses. -Yes. I see.
如果他咽不下去就给他吃点这个
Oh, and if he can’t swallow, you give him one of these.
如果他呼吸困难 可以给他吃点这个
And if he has trouble breathing, you can give him some of those.
-记得带喷雾器了吗 -带了 放在宿舍了
-Did you remember your vaporizer? -Yes, I put it in my room.
-嘿 你好吗 尼尔 -你好
-Hey, how’s it going, Neil? -Hey, Knox.
尼尔 今晚学习小组
Neil, study group tonight?
-嗯 当然 -跟以前一样
-Yeah, sure. -Business as usual, huh?
嘿 听说你有了个新室友 象个木瓜一样
Hey, I heard you got the new kid. Looks like a stiff!
哎哟
Oops.
听我说 别理会他
Listen, don’t mind Cameron.
他呢 狗嘴吐不出象牙 明白我的意思吗
He was born with his foot in his mouth. You know what I mean?
听人说你上暑期班了
Rumour has it…you did summer school.
对 学化学 我爸说提前点儿好
Yep. Chemistry. My father thought I should get ahead.
你暑假过得怎么样
How was your summer, slick?
还不赖
Keen.
米克斯 把门关上
Meeks. Door. Closed.
是 长官
Yes, sir.
各位 我们四大支柱是什么
Gentlemen, what are the Four Pillars?
嘲弄 恐怖 颓废 排泄
Travesty. Horror. Decadence. Excrement.
好了 学习小组
Okay. Study group.
米克斯的拉丁不赖 英语我不怕
Meeks aced Latin. I didn’t quite flunk English.
-所以 如果你愿意 我们算一个组 -没问题
-If you want, we got our study group. -Sure.
卡梅伦也问我了 把他也算进来怎么样
Cameron asked me too. Anyone mind including him?
他什么东西拿手 拍马屁
Hmm, what’s his specialty? Bootlicking?
-好了 他是你室友 -那可不是我的错
-Come on, he’s your roommate. -That’s not my fault.
对不起 我叫史蒂芬·米克斯
I’m sorry. My name is Stephen Meeks.
他叫托德·安德森
Oh! This is Todd Anderson.
-很高兴见到你 -很高兴见到你
-Nice to meet you. -Nice to meet you.
查理·多尔顿
Charlie Dalton.
诺克斯·奥弗斯特里特
Knox Overstreet.
杰弗里·安德森是托德的哥哥
Todd’s brother was Jeffrey Anderson.
-是吗 -你知道他什么
-Oh, yeah, sure. -What do you know?
-毕业生代表 全国优秀学生 -嗯
-Valedictorian. National Merit Scholar. -Oh, well…
欢迎到地狱来
welcome to Hell-ton.
这鬼地方可不好混 除非是米克斯一样的天才
It’s every bit as tough as they say unless you’re a genius like Meeks.
他会拍 不然也不帮他学拉丁语
He flatters me. That’s why I help him with Latin.
还有英语 还有几何
And English. And trig.
门开着
It’s open.
爸爸 我以为你走了
Father, I thought you’d gone.
-佩里先生 -坐着吧 孩子们
-Mr Perry. -Keep your seats, fellows.
尼尔 我刚和诺兰先生谈过了
Neil, I’ve just spoken to Mr Nolan.
我觉得你这个学期课外活动太多了
You’re taking too many extracurricular activities this semester
我看你不要参加校史年鉴的事了
and I’ve decided that you should drop the school annual.
但我今年是助理编辑
But I’m the assistant editor this year.
-我看算了 尼尔 -但是爸爸 这不行
-Well, I’m sorry, Neil. -But, Father, I can’t.
-这不公平 -孩子们 我们得单独谈一下
-It wouldn’t be fair. -Would you excuse us for a moment?
别公开跟我顶撞 明白吗
Don’t you ever dispute me in public. Do you understand?
-爸爸 我不是顶撞…-等你读完医科大学…
-Father, I wasn’t disputing.. -After you’ve finished medical school…
自立了 你想干什么就干什么
and you’re on your own, then you can do as you damn well please.
但在那之前 你得听我的 明白了吗
But until then, you do as I tell you. Is that clear?
明白 对不起
Yes, sir. I’m sorry.
你知道这对你妈妈有多重要 对不对
You know how much this means to your mother, don’t you?

Yes, sir.
你知道的 我总喜欢找事
You know me always taking on too much.
好了 这就对了
Well, that’s my boy.
-需要什么尽管说 -好的
-You need anything, you let us know. -Yes, sir.
他干嘛不让你做想做的事
Why doesn’t he let you do what you want?
对 尼尔 跟他吵 别什么大不了的
Yeah, Neil. Tell him off. Couldn’t get any worse.
荒唐 就象你们跟父母吵
Oh, that’s rich. Like you guys tell your parents off?
未来的律师先生 未来的银行家先生
Mr Future Lawyer and Mr Future Banker?
好了 其实我也不喜欢那么做
Okay, so I don’t like it any more than you do.
好了 别教我怎么跟父亲说话就行了
Well, just don’t tell me how to talk to my father.
-你们都一个样 -好了 好了 天哪
-You guys are the same way. -All right, all right.Jesus.
-那你准备怎么办 -别无选择
-So what are you gonna do then? -What I have to do.
-放弃呗 -要说这事 我也不会想太多
-Drop the annual. -I wouldn’t lose much sleep over it.
就是帮疯子想编点哗众取宠的东西呗
It’s just a bunch of jerks trying to impress Nolan.
好了 我也根本不在乎
I don’t care. I don’t give a damn about any of it.
-嗯 拉丁 八点在我宿舍 -好
-Well, uh… Latin, 8:00 in my room? -Yes.
-听起来不错呀 -托德 也欢迎你参加
-That sounds okay. -Todd, you’re welcome to join us.
-对 一起来吧 -谢谢
-Yeah, come along, pal. -Thanks.
慢点儿 孩子们
Slow down, boys!
慢点儿 你们这帮毛手毛脚的家伙
Slow down, you horrible phalanx of pubescence!

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
前一篇文章暮光之城
下一篇文章海豚湾
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!