瓦妮莎姑姑不幸过世
happened and Aunt Vanessa had sadly passed away,
我至少可以通过你和她保持联♥系♥
you could always put me in touch with her in the spirit world,
而这一点
and that…
确实让我心安不少
That rather put a smile on my face.
最后 她挺过来了
Well, in the end, she pulled through.
你看起来累坏了
Well, you look exhausted.
这不能怪我
Well, can you blame me?
我需要洗个澡 睡一觉
What I need now is a good bath and a nap and…
所以 请容许我先离开
So, if you’ll excuse me…
当然
Yes, of course.
斯坦利
Stanley…
瓦妮莎阿姨还好让我松了一口气
Oh, I’m so relieved about Aunt Vanessa.
她是那么不平凡的女人
She’s such a marvelous woman.
她非常可爱
Yeah, she’s so lovely.
我们应该开一瓶香槟
We should break open the champagne.
庆祝一下
We should celebrate.
庆祝瓦妮莎阿姨的康复
Aunt Vanessa’s recovered.
更不要说这整件事
Not to mention that I find this whole thing
让我觉得收获颇丰
a most rewarding experience.
你不觉得懊悔吗
You feel no remorse?
我为什么要懊悔
Why should I feel remorse?
欺骗一辈子的好友
Hoodwinking a lifelong friend.
我不那么看
I see it quite differently.
我们的职业就是骗人
Hoodwinking is what we do.
你要知道 从我们还是孩子时起
Now, you’ve got to understand that since we were boys,
我就是他的陪衬
I have played second fiddle
那个自大狂 只关心自己的
to that egomaniacal, self-regarding…
天才
Genius.
他在魔术上确实是个天才
Yeah, he’s a genius at what he does,
而我不过是凡人
and I turned out to be a mere mortal.
但现在 追随了他这么多年后
But now, after years of trailing in his wake,
我承认 我对他有些嫉妒和怨恨
and I admit, some envy and resentment,
我终于蒙骗过了伟大的苏魏灵
I have finally put one over the great Wei Ling Soo.
我愚弄了那个不会被愚弄的男人
I have fooled the man who could not be fooled.
并没有 霍华德
Not quite, Howard.
怎么
How did…
你在柏林看演出的时候说过你很憧憬这个技法
You admired this effect when you saw my show in Berlin.
我说过如果你表现得好的话我就教你
I said I’d teach it to you if you behaved yourself,
但你没有好好表现
but you have not behaved.
这是魔术 苏菲
It’s a trick, Sophie.
我并没有真的消失又重新出现
I don’t really dematerialize and reassemble my ectoplasm
就像你也没有真的与灵魂沟通 也不会读心
any more than you contact spirits or read minds.
斯坦利 我可以解释
Stanley, I can explain…
我那么仔细地观察你
I watched you so closely.
霍华德观察着你妈妈
Howard watched your mother,
但谁来盯着霍华德
but who watched Howard?
你可以敲响桌子
You were free to rap on the table.
你抓住了那支漂浮的蜡烛
You seized the floating candle,
你发誓说没有线
you swore there were no wires making it float,
我信了你的话
and I took you at your word.
你可以敲一下表示是 两下表示否
You were free to rap once for yes, twice for no.
苏菲在我姑姑家打电♥话♥的时候
And when Sophie excused herself at my aunt’s
她打给了你
to make a telephone call, she called you
然后你告诉她关于我的姑姑的消息
and you fed her information about my aunt.
一开始 我不能相信
At first, I couldn’t believe
你会这样背叛我
you would betray me like that.
但你也知道
But, as you know,
我不相信人性
I am a misanthrope.
一个人做一些不齿之事
And that people do unconscionable things
与我对人性的看法并不冲突
does not run counter to my normal view of humanity.
从小 我们都选了魔术作为追求
As boys, we both chose magic as our calling.
我们都夜以继日练习 我和你练习得一样多
We both practiced day and night, I as much as you.
我的技巧和你一样好
My skill was the equal of yours,
然而你却成为了世界舞台上的伟大艺术家
and yet, you emerged onto the world stage as the great artist.
这不公平
But it wasn’t fair.
人生从来不公平 霍华德
Life’s not fair, Howard.
事实上 像我常说的 最基本的规则就是
In fact, as a general rule, as I’ve often said,
生活充满了恶意
it’s pretty nasty.
因为苏菲
Because of Sophie,
我开始依赖美好的想法
I began to succumb to magical thinking.
有一段时间 我真的很幸福
And for a while, I was actually happy.
但那时的我不过是个幸福的傻瓜
But I was happy as a fool is happy.
幸福不是人类的自然状态
Happiness is not the natural human condition.
另外 你从来没有我练习得多
And incidentally, you never practiced as much as I did,
你的技术也从来没有我好
and your skill was never equal to mine.
斯坦利 对不起 对不起
Stanley, I’m sorry, I’m sorry…
我认识霍华德是因为有人请他来揭穿我
I ran into Howard here when he was sent to expose me, and he…
他确实揭穿了我 非常轻易地
He did expose me, quite easily.
但我们暗中达成协议
But we made this private pact to do this scheme,
我同意只因为这对母亲和我意味着太多
and I only agreed because it meant so much to Mom and me.
我看你的行为就像
I view your behavior as
一个伟人看一个 怎么说呢
a great man views the malicious mischief of…
侏儒的恶意伤害
What shall we say, pygmy?
你是假冒的
You’re a fake.
我应该知道这一点 而且心底里我是知道的
As I always should have known, and did, in my heart.
我只希望我没有在你身上浪费那么多时间
I only wish I hadn’t wasted so much time with you.
现在你不过是个妄尊自大的混♥蛋♥
Well, now you’re just being a pompous stick in the mud.
我们不过是跟你开了一个玩笑
We played an elaborate joke on you, Stanley.
没人受伤
No one was harmed.
我的名誉受损了
My reputation will suffer,
你们把我当傻子一样耍
and you played me for a fool.
你的名誉不过是你的自大
Your reputation is all ego!

I’ve…
没错 事情有一点失控
Yes, yes, things got out of hand,
但没有什么糟糕的事情发生
but no awful thing happened.
你之前那么幸福
I mean, you were… You were happy.
你享受过生活
And you enjoyed life for once.
你以乐观者的角度看这个世界
You saw the world as optimists see the world.
我们一起分享的那些欢乐
And we had some laughs together,
别说你在我身上浪费了时间
so don’t say that you wasted your time with me.
不然你会干什么呢
What would you have been doing?
坐在房♥间里 在镜子前面练习洗牌吗
Sitting in your room and shuffling cards in front of a mirror?
我的乐观不过是幻象
All my optimism was an illusion.
我读了那本书
Well, I started reading that book
那个德国哲学家写的 你给我的
by that German philosopher, you know, that you gave me?
我没怎么看懂
I didn’t really understand much of it,
但是他说我们需要幻觉才能活下去
but he said that we need our illusions to live.
你是说谎言
You mean lies.
你之前比现在快乐多了
You were much happier
当你允许生活中有谎言存在的时候 斯坦利
when you let some lies into your life, Stanley.
想想吧 斯坦利
Think about it, Stanley,
你真的想毁掉格蕾丝·卡特莱奇心灵的平静
do you really want to ruin the peace of mind Grace Catledge has,
确信自己是丈夫唯一的爱
secure in the knowledge that she is her husband’s only love?
我们不能欺骗自己
We can’t go around deluding ourselves.
我们必须欺骗自己
But we must.
如果我们想度过一生的话
If we’re to get through life.
不是我说的
I mean, I didn’t say it,
我只是引用 那位
I’m just quoting, you know, Mister…
尼采
Nietzsche.
最后 谁又能知道什么是真 什么是假
And, in the end, who really knows what’s real and what’s not?
很清楚什么是真的
Well, it’s quite clear what’s real,
我为姑姑祈祷不过是闹剧
my praying for my aunt was poppycock,
医生的技术是真的
the doctor’s skill was real.
不 你永远也不会知道 因为乔治
No. You will never know that, because George,
卡洛琳的丈夫 那个心理分♥析♥师
Caroline’s husband, the psychoanalyst,
跟我说他也为你的姑姑祈祷了
told me that he was praying for your aunt, too.
我们无法知道
And so we don’t know if maybe
是否是他的祈祷得到了回应
it was his prayers that got answered.
也许天使们更喜欢他
Maybe the angels like him better.
再继续跟你说下去我的智商要归零了
I won’t dignify this conversation any longer.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!