What? Oh, I was just…
我只是脑子里忽闪出一些映象 失陪了
I was receiving some mental impressions. Excuse me.
走吧 斯坦利 我们去
Come, Stanley, let’s go to…
你看起来很惊讶
You look stunned.
我有个叔叔几年前溺水身亡
I had an uncle who drowned many years ago.
当我提到他时
And when I mentioned him,
她游离了一下
she lapsed into a kind of fugue state
喃喃自语道 溺水身亡
and muttered “Death by water.”
她知道我妹妹三月七号♥
Well, she knew that my sister married
嫁给了一个银行经理
on March the seventh to a bank manager.
她不可能知道的 除非
There’s absolutely no way she could know that unless…
不是连你也相信吧 霍华德
Oh, not you, too, Howard! No!
我今晚在通灵会上一定要揭穿她
I’ll make short work of her tonight during the seance.
让我们手牵手
I would like us now to join hands,
共同召唤
as we summon
未知世界
the unseen world.
今晚我们齐聚一堂 共同召唤
Now, we’re here tonight to contact the soul
格蕾丝·卡特莱奇的亡夫
of the departed husband of Grace Catledge,
布莱斯和卡洛琳的父亲
father of Brice and Caroline.
我现在要尽量进入
Now, I will try to achieve
一个恍惚的状态
a trance state.
我越陷越深
I’m falling deeper,
越陷越深
and deeper,
进入了恍惚状态
into a trance.
哈利·卡特莱奇 给我个暗示吧
Harry Catledge, give me a sign.
给我个暗示吧
Give us a sign!
哈利
Harry?
是你吗 哈利
Is that you, Harry?
幽灵
Spirit?
敲一下表示肯定
Signal us once for “Yes.”
敲两下表示否定
Twice for “No.”
哈利 你还好吗
Harry, are you okay?
你开心吗
Are you happy?
幽灵 如果你能听见我说话
Spirit, if you can hear me,
给我个暗示吧
give me a sign.
不可能
That’s not possible.
该死的 我们都表演过悬浮 斯坦利
I mean, damn it, Stanley, we’ve both done levitations.
有一次我还升起了一只老虎
I once raised a real tiger,
可这都是有秘诀的
but we both have our tricks.
蜡烛上什么都没有 没有线拉着
There was nothing supporting this candle, no threads, no wires,
一直在空中飘着 直到我把它抓住
it was floating until I brought it down.
我 我在跟佩普里奇先生说
I… I was just telling Mr. Pepperidge here
你是多么神奇地
how marvelously you made
在没有明显辅助的情况下让蜡烛悬浮空中
that candle float with no apparent support.
我看 明显辅助这个词才是关键
“Apparent,” I think, is the key word.
你到底是佩普里奇还是塔尔马奇还是塔普林
Is it “Pepperidge,” Or “Talmudge,” Or “Taplinger?”
总之 你的表现真的非常非常神奇
Anyway, it was a wonderful, wonderful, super trick.
我是说 我抓到蜡烛的时候
I mean, I grabbed the candle
没发现任何其他的东西
and found absolutely nothing supporting it.
那是因为根本没有其他东西
That’s because there’s nothing to find.
我女儿又不是什么花瓶
My daughter is not some commercial music hall attraction.
她可不是耍把戏的 她是内行
She doesn’t do tricks. She is an adept.
你第一次参加招魂 我的表现还可以吧
I hope I didn’t disappoint you at your first seance.
特别完美 无可挑剔
Oh, I found it nothing short of perfection.
很不错 女士
Well done, madam.
我都记不起来上次我妈这么开心是什么时候了
I can’t even remember the last time I’ve seen Mother so happy.
你和我们一起吗
Will you join us?
我们要来点热辣音乐
We’re all going to hear some really hot music.
热辣音乐
Hot music?
-走吧 苏菲 走了 -是啊 我们…
– Come on, Sophie, come on. – Yeah, we…
我记得你说你的工作是很费心劳力的
I thought you said “All this mental work was exhausting?”
确实 但我很喜欢热辣的音乐
Oh, it is, but I love hot music.
那祝你今晚不再受到噩梦的折磨
Well, I hope you’re not plagued tonight
别再梦到凶恶的中国人
by the dream of the sinister Chinese.
其实 我知道你是谁了
You know, I figured out who you represented.
-是吗 -是的
– Really? – Yes.
很多年以前 我还小的时候
When I was much younger, years ago,
我去看苏魏灵的表演
I went and saw Wei Ling Soo.
你知道他吗
Have you heard of him?
他是个爱装扮成中国人的白人
He’s a Caucasian who disguised himself as a Chinese,
把自己宣传成伟大的东方巫师
and he billed himself as the Great Oriental Wizard.
是吗 那你喜欢他的表演吗
I see, and did you enjoy his performance?
非常喜欢 他很棒
I did, very much. He was brilliant.
他 他居然将一头大象生生变没了
He, um, he vanished a live elephant.
那真是
And it was just…
太让人震惊了
I mean, it just was completely shocking,
不过当然了 那都是机械关窍
but of course, it was mechanical tricks
只要勤加练习就能掌握
that one could learn with enough practice.
是吗 那你的表演呢
I see. And, your performance?
我觉得那不能叫表演
Oh, I wouldn’t call it a performance.
那 随你怎么叫
Well, call it what you will.
反正都是鬼把戏
I mean, it’s a type of trickery,
跟纸牌魔术还有把大象变没都一样
like card magic or vanishing an elephant.
我觉得你就是苏魏灵先生
And I say you’re Mr. Wei Ling Soo.
我觉得你做的任何事情我都能重现
And I say there is nothing you can do that I cannot duplicate.
我相信 你很出色
Oh, I don’t doubt it. You’re great.
但你能复♥制♥重现我的奇迹
But just because you can duplicate my miracles,
不代表我的那些是假的
in no way proves that mine are not real.
真是表现不俗
It was quite a display.
我得说 她让我印象深刻
I must say, she impresses me.
你也没看到什么使诈的痕迹
And you saw no signs of trickery?
还没
Not yet.
还是承认吧 斯坦利 你是来揭露她的
Well, let’s face it, Stanley, you came to unmask her,
反而被她揭露了
and she’s unmasked you.
从某个角度来看 是这样的
On the one side, yes,
她好像看穿了很多外人无法看透的壮举
she’s pulling off these bewildering feats,
但另一方面 很简单
and on the other remains the simple fact
她声称自己能做的事情
that what she’s claiming to do,
虽然策划实施的很周密 但根本是不可能的
while exquisitely executed, is simply not possible.
但轮得到谁说可能不可能呢
But who’s to say what’s possible?
我是个医生 但新事物不停出现
I’m a physician, and new facts come to light,
各种新发现层出不穷
new discoveries are made all the time.
很多事情都是我们做梦都没想到的
Things we never dreamed possible.
甚至是让一个人躺在沙发上
To cure someone of blindness
讲述自己的童年
by having her lie on a couch
就能治愈失明
and talk about her childhood.
谁能想到呢
I mean, who’d have thought?
没错 但难道你没发现
Yeah, but don’t you see
这完全是对现实的挑战吗
it challenges our whole concept of reality?
我的意思是 如果真的有阴间
I mean, if there’s an unseen world,
有来生 有可以招来的灵魂
an afterlife, souls to contact,
可以读心 预测未来
mind reading, foretelling the future…
当今科学认知的一切
Yes, it changes everything
都将被改变
we’ve held to be scientifically accurate.
的确如此
It’s true.
如果她说的有可能的话
If what she claims was possible,
所有的东西都会被赋予新的含义
everything would surely take on new meaning.
也是 充满希望的含义
And yes, very hopeful meaning.
试想 如果生命之外有更多…
To think, if there were more to life…
更多什么
More what?
不以死亡终结的生命
That life doesn’t end with death?
还是宇宙是被设计出来的
That the universe works by design?
上帝是存在的
That God exists.
好 咱们别跑题
All right, let’s not get carried away.
这女人就是个江湖骗子
The woman is a charlatan.
因为 尽管存在的现实让人沮丧
Because, depressing as the facts of existence are,
但它依然是事实
they are the facts.
根本没有超自然世界的存在
There is no metaphysical world.
所见即所得
What you see out there is what you get.
我觉得尼采先生已经
I think Mr. Nietzsche has
充分证明了上帝是否存在的问题

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!