I’ll think it over.
我好好考虑下
By the way, I’d like to borrow this.
顺便一提,我要借这本书
It’s not mine. It belongs to the doctor. Oh, doctors.
这不是我的,是医生的 – 哦,医生们
What about them?
他们怎么了?
They give me a great deal of trouble in my job.
他们给我的工作添了不少麻烦啊
He was here. He tricked us. Yes, he was… here.
他在这! 他戏弄了我们! 对,他在…这儿
And these were on the floor.
还有这些书掉在地上了
Peter, sit down.
Peter,坐下
Now, look up.
现在… 向上看…
Yeah. You’ve been doing some hard talking.
你进行过了一些艰难的对话
I have. I hope you didn’t give into anything.
是的 – 你没像什么屈服吧?
No. That’s the spirit.
没有 这就对了
Do you think I could stay overnight, Frank? Yes, I’ll tell Mrs. Tucker.
我能在这过夜吗? 没问题,我会告诉Tucker夫人
I don’t need anything much. Now, let’s see.
我不需要太多 现在我们来看看…
Hmm. I’ll tell Mrs. Tucker you’re staying.
嗯…我会告诉Tucker夫人你要留宿
Dr. Reeves? Yes?
Reeves医生
Can I stay in here? I want to be near these books.
我能待在这儿吗?我想在这些书的旁边
Of course. I’ll fix up a camp bed.
当然可以,我给你提供一张野营床
Great news, darling. What, sweet?
好消息,亲爱的
I’m to be allowed to appeal. Really?
我被允许上诉了 真的?
Oh, June, I don’t want to leave you.
June,我不想离开你
Darling, why should you leave me? Everything will be all right.
亲爱的,你怎么会离开呢?一切都会好起来的
Well, if I can get a good counsel. Of course you will.
只要我能找到一个好辩护律师 你肯定会找到的
It’s very important. I ‒ I don’t want to lose you.
这很重要,我可不想失去你
Darling, I don’t intend to let you go.
我不想让你走
No one can take you from me. I won’t let them.
没人能带走你,我不会允许他们这么做的
It’s no good, you see?
这不好,你明白吗?
A judgment against me will be backed up by all of the power of this world
一个不利于我的判决将会得到支持…
and of the other.
得到这个世界和彼岸世界的权力的支持…
Drink this.
喝了它
Peter’s got the right to appeal. Splendid.
Peter得到了上诉的权利 太棒了
Did you smell anything? Yes.
闻到了什么吗? 是的
The same? Fried onions? Yes.
炸洋葱的味道? 是的
Good. Drink that up.
很好,喝完它
Any headache? Hmm.
头痛吗? 嗯
You can tell me tomorrow what he said. No. He said ‒
明天告诉我他说了什么 不,他说了…
Good heavens. What is it?
天哪! 怎么了?
He’s got my Hundred Best Games. What?
他拿了我的《一百场最佳名局》
Alekhine’s chess book, Hundred Best Games. Are you sure?
Alekhese的国际象棋书! 你确定?
Absolutely certain. He had it in his hand. What a nerve.
确定,他拿在手里的
A bit cold. Now, how about getting to bed?
真不知耻! 有点酷 现在去睡觉
I want to talk to you first. It’s important.
我想先和你谈谈
No, not now. Have a long sleep. Tomorrow you’ll feel as fresh as a daisy.
不,你先睡一个长觉 明天你就会精力充沛了
It’s about my counsel. I don’t think you believe a word of what I say.
你们不相信我说的话!
Of course we do.
我们当然相信!
My dear friend, here on Earth, I am your defending counsel,
我亲爱的朋友,在这个地球上我就是你的辩护律师
and as your counsel, I believe everything you tell me.
作为你的辩护律师,我相信你所说的一切
Uh, hello, Dr. Gaertler.
Gaerlter医生 你好,Reeves医生
Why, hello, Dr. Reeves. You make your rounds the hard way.
你四处巡视真不容易啊,啥时也给我一辆跑车!
Give me a coupe anytime. Is Dr. McEwen free?
McEwen医生有空吗?
He’s just going to operate. Oh.
他将要做一个手术
He hasn’t started yet. I’ll tell him. I imagine he’ll see you in the washroom.
他还没开始呢,我想你会在洗手间碰到他
Thanks.
谢谢
Hello, Frank. What’s new? Deterioration all around.
你好啊,Frank,最近可好? 情况恶化
We ought to operate tonight. That’s impossible. We’re swamped.
我们必须在今晚动手术 这不可能,我们忙不过来
Are you sure of your diagnosis? Certain. I discovered the missing fact.
你确定自己的诊断吗?
He had slight concussion two years ago with no aftereffects.
确定 他在两年前受过轻微脑震荡,无后遗症
The X-ray is inconclusive. You’ll see in the ocular reports.
X光图像得不到确切结论
You know all about these highly organized hallucinations
你知道那种存在嗅觉
coupled with a sense of smell.
感知的幻象
Everything points to arachnoid adhesions involving the olfactory nerve in the brain.
这意味着与嗅神经那些蛛网状的连接有关
It’s a tricky operation, but I’ve never seen one.
是个棘手的手术啊,我从未见过这样的
I have. Several at the Hospital de la Pitié in Paris.
我见过,在巴黎的Pitié-Salpêtrière医院
I’ve made some notes, so I wonder if the surgeon could see them.
我为这次手术标记了几条注意事项
Sure. It’ll be Dr. Liza. He’s a very fine neurosurgeon.
Leiser医生会来做这个手术,他是个好神经外科大夫
Liza. A good man. I don’t see how we can manage tonight.
Leiser,是个好人 我们没法在今晚做
There’s no crisis in such a thing. Any day will do.
这样的事并没什么可着急的
No, it won’t.
哪天都能做 不,不是的
And I’ll tell you why I think it won’t and why there is a crisis.
我告诉你为什么事情紧迫
I’m afraid of his brain being permanently affected.
恐怕他的脑部已经受到了永久性影响
Insanity? Yes.
精神失常?是
Because his trial is fixed for tonight and he hasn’t found anyone to defend him yet.
因为他的审判定在今晚,他还没有找到任何人为他辩护
He spends all his time in my library or in talks with me and the girl.
他一直待在我的书房♥
He only sleeps when I drug him.
只有在服药时才能入睡
The boy has a fine mind, but it’s a little taxed.
这小伙有一副好头脑,可也为此付出了代价
That’s the trouble. It’s too good a mind.
这就是问题所在,他的脑子太好了
A weak mind isn’t strong enough to hurt itself.
一个薄弱的脑子是无法伤害自身的
Stupidity has saved many a man from going mad.
愚蠢往往能使人避免走向疯狂
Yes, you’re right there.
是的,你说的没错
And he’s had several talks with this heavenly messenger.
他与那个天堂来的使者进行了多次对话
Hallucinations, of course, but you never saw such an imagination.
虽是幻觉,你从没见过如此的想象力!
I’ve been taking tips on the other world ‒ laws, system, architecture.
我对他所说的彼岸世界进行了一些记录 法律,运作系统,建筑等等
Here’s the interesting point.
有趣的是
He never steps outside the limits of his own imagination.
他的想象从未越界
I don’t quite get you. Nothing he invents is entirely fantastic.
我不明白 他所编造的这些没有任何荒谬的
It’s invention, but logical invention.
虽是编造,却很有逻辑性
And the keystone to his invention is that the trial takes place tonight.
在他的编造中的关键,他的审判,发生在今晚
He must win or lose his case tonight,
无论输赢今晚必然会发生
and that’s why I think we ought to operate tonight.
我们必须今晚手术
It’s no use shaking your head, and that’s why I think we ought to find a counsel
你摇头也没用
to save him from losing his case, or we may lose him.
我们需要为他找的一位辩护人,否则我们将失去他!
What about… him?
他做你的辩护人… …怎么样?
Lincoln? No, it’s hardly fair to drag him in.
林肯?不,把他拉进来并不公平
I don’t believe he’d be prejudiced.
我不相信他有偏见
Plato.
柏拉图
How would you like to be defended by Plato?
让柏拉图为你辩护你觉得如何?
Nobody knew more about reasoning than Plato.
没有人比他更懂得理性
He was 81 when he died. He might be too old to think love important.
他去世时已经81岁,可能已经过了珍视爱情的年龄
You think so?
你这么认为吗?
Anyhow, Plato had very elementary ideas about love.
不管怎样,柏拉图对爱情还是有非常基本的认知的
Besides, didn’t he quote Sophocles
另外,他是不是引用了索福克勒斯…
when somebody asked him if he was still able to appreciate a woman?
当有人问他是否仍然可以欣赏女性的时候?
What did the old boy say?
这老伙计说了啥?
Well, he said, uh, “I’m only too glad to be rid of all of that.
“我很高兴能摆脱那一切”
It’s like escaping from bondage to a raving madman.”
“这就像逃离了一个语无伦次的疯子的束缚一般”
Now, if he had been French.
如果他是法国人
Richelieu, for example. Irresistible at 80.
比如黎塞留…到80岁仍然无法抗拒!
How about Richelieu?
黎塞留如何?
I never liked him much since The Three Musketeers.
不,不太喜欢他在《三个火枪手》里的形象
Solomon.
所罗门
Solomon.
所罗门?
No?
不行?
Mais, tonnerre de Dieu, who do you want?
喔,我的天啊,你究竟想要谁?
You have only a few hours left.
你只有几个小时了!
Look, it sounds a grand idea to have all these great men to choose from,
听起来从这些伟人中选择是个好主意…
but what did they know of our problems today?
但是他们对我们今天的问题又知道些什么?
True. Very little.
没错 他们知之甚少
Besides, I think it ought to be an Englishman.
此外,我觉得那个人应该是一个英国人
Nobody famous, but somebody with his head screwed on all right.
不用是名人,但必须是一个头脑清醒之人
Screwed?
拧紧?(与“头脑清醒”同义)
Now, this Abraham, um ‒
现在,这个Abraham…呃…?
Farlan. Farlan. Was he a famous man?
Farlan. 他是个名人吗?
He was the first American to be killed by a British bullet.
第一个被英国子弹射杀的美国人
No. I don’t mean that. I mean, was he a great philosopher or statesman?
我的意思是说,他是个大哲学家或演说家吗?
He was a schoolteacher. There, you see.
他是个教师 你看,我说吧!
Now, Plato would probably talk about perceptions and causations.
而柏拉图,也许只会谈论他那一套观念和因果的理论…
Pardon?
你说什么?
Over your head too? Definitely.
你也理解不了,是吧? 当然
Well, it’s quite simple.
这相当简单…
By the way, why are you so interested in my winning my case?
顺便一提,为什么你对我赢下这个案子这么感兴趣?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!