No.

Well, doesn’t it worry you I’m no lawyer? No.
或者担心我并不是个专业律师?
Come on, Frank. You must have something. Oh, just a little common sense.
哦,只是靠一点点常识
And if it’s as rare up there as it is down here, it’ll do me.
这很稀有,会对我有帮助的
Say yes. Well ‒
答应我吧! 好吧…
He has no choice anyhow. What are we talking about then?
他别无选择 我们本来打算谈些什么?
All right. I need evidence.
好吧,我需要些证物
Look at her.
看看她!
Holy smoke!
上帝啊!
Well ‒
怎么了?
She looks like a nice girl. She is a nice girl.
她看起来是个好女孩 她的确是好女孩
Hardly your type, Skip.
不像你的菜啊,机长
I’ve fallen in love with her.
我已经爱上了她
Her accent is foreign, but it sounds sweet to me.
她虽然操着外国口音… 对我而言,听起来却很甜蜜
We were born thousands of miles apart… but we were made for each other.
我们出生时相隔万里… 却注定要走在一起
That’s an excellent piece of prose.
真是首好诗
May I kiss her, just in case, you know?
我能吻她吗?你知道的,以防万一
Okay, you may, but she will not know it.
你可以吻她,不过她将不会知道
It doesn’t matter.
没关系
Oh, he’s English.
这些英国人!
What is the good of kissing a girl if she does not feel it?
如果女孩感受不到,亲吻她还有什么意义?
The evidence you wanted.
你想要的证据
Her tears.
她的眼泪
Oh, I wish I could take one with me.
哦,我希望可以带一滴回去
You are counsel. You can do as you wish.
你是辩护人,可以做任何你想做的
I say, why don’t we wrap it up and take it with us?
我们为何不收集起来带走呢?
Permit me.
请允许我这么做
That’s it. The only real bit of evidence we have.
就是它了 我们唯一拥有的一点点真正的证物
Quick. We must not keep the court waiting.
快点,我们不能让法庭等
The court of appeal sits to consider the case
上诉法庭开庭审理来自于…
of the Department of Records
记录部门对…
versus Squadron Leader Peter David Carter of the Royal Air Force.
皇家空军的少校Peter Carter的案件
He claims negligence
他声称这是被控方的过失
and superior rights and responsibilities arising out of that negligence.
并有权提出让被控方承担… 由于过失产生的后果的责任
He is appealing for remission of the date of his term on Earth
他请求对他在地球上时限的宽赦…
and for a reconsideration of his case.
以及对他这件案子的重新考虑
It has been decided to allow this appeal.
这次上诉已经被允许
It is for the jury to decide whether it shall be successful.
由陪审团决定此次上诉是否成功
Owing to the Interest aroused by the case,
由于本次案件引起的巨大兴趣…
there is an unusually large audience.
到场观众数量非同寻常的多
We can, of course, seat everyone who wishes to be present,
我们当然可以为每位希望出席的人提供座位
but the front rows have been reserved for those who have a special interest in the case.
前排预定给了对本案件有特殊兴趣的人
Members of the jury,
陪审团成员
do not allow yourselves to be influenced by anything but the facts
请不要被… 除了事实之外的事件影响…
and by your conscience.
以及出于良知做出你们的选择
You will have every assistance from the court to help you to arrive at your verdict.
法庭会提供协助以便你们得到最后的审判决定
The counsel for the prosecution will take his place.
控方律师的位置在这边
The counsel for the defense will take his place.
辩方律师的位置在那边
I call upon the prosecution to open the case.
我宣布,由控方开始发言
Your Honor, members of the jury,
法官阁下,陪审团成员…
this case has three issues.
这个案子有三个议题
Peter D. Carter, an Englishman,
Peter D Carter,一个英国人…
should have died on the second day of May, 1945,
本应在1945年5月2日…
at ten after 4:00 of the clock.
…4点10分死去
British double summertime.
根据英国的双夏令时
Due to an oversight, which I hasten to state is contrary to the traditions of a great service…
出于一次疏忽… 对此我必须补充,这与这个伟大机构的传统不符…
the defendant did not die.
被告人没有死
Therefore, issue number one, who is responsible?
因此,问题1,谁应对此负责?
When summoned to report some 20-odd hours later,
20小时左右之后,当他被告知召回的时候…
the defendant refused to accompany Conductor 71,
被告拒绝随同执行员71号♥…
giving, as his reason, that in the time, which he had borrowed,
给出的理由是,在这段他“借来”的时间中…
he had accumulated new responsibilities
他承担了新的责任…
of an allegedly important and permanent nature.
一种据称是重要而永恒的天性…
He claimed, in fact, that in these 20 hours,
他声称,事实上,在这20小时内…
a young lady of good American stock had fallen in love with him.
一位美国好人家的女孩… 与他坠入了爱河
Therefore, issue number two,
这就有了第二个问题
are we to believe this?
我们应该相信他的说辞么?
Furthermore, he states that in these 20 hours, which he had borrowed ‒
此外,他提到… 在这“借来”的20小时内…
My lord, I object to the word “borrowed,” which counsel is using so emphatically.
殿下,我反对“借”这样的用词… 而且辩方律师有意强调它
To borrow means to get temporary use of something,
借的意思是对不属于自己的某物
to use something without being the true owner.
获得暂时的使用权
My client didn’t get.
我的当事人不是获得
He was given the 20 hours in question.
而是被给予了提到的这20小时
He didn’t use something without being the true owner.
他并未使用不属于他的东西
He was the true owner of his own life.
他是自己生命的拥有者
The next points are, is this young Englishman in love
下一个关键点在于… 这位年轻的英国小伙
with this young lady of good American stock?
真的与那位美国女孩相爱吗?
And even more important this, is she in love with him?
更重要的是,女孩爱他吗?
Why do you stress their nationalities?
为什么要强调他们的国籍?
Very important, sir. Extremely important.
这非常重要,先生,极其重要
Why? Because we are talking of love, sir.
何解? 因为我们谈论的是爱情
It can happen, you know, between an Englishman and an American girl.
它可以发生在一个英国小伙和一个美国姑娘之间
And, uh, vice versa.
呃…反之亦然
Possibly.
或许是的
But what are these love affairs, Dr. Reeves?
但对这些恋爱你怎么看呢,Reeves医生?
Men and women, thousands of miles away from home,
男人和女人在离家万里的地方…
away from the love they left behind.
远离他们他们所爱的家人
Minute sparks instead of scorching flames.
产生的微小火花,而非炽热的火焰…
Fading shabby wigs instead of the rich gold of a woman’s hair.
褪色、破旧不堪的假发,而非女子头发浓艳的金色
The love of the moment, Dr. Reeves.
一瞬的“爱情”,Reeves医生
Do I call it love?
我该称之为爱情吗?
Once in a thousand times, perhaps.
也许只是千分之一的概率
And how many end in lasting marriage?
而又有多少以长久的婚姻作为结局?
One in 10,000.
万分之一的概率
My case, sir. That, sir, is for you to prove.
我们讨论的是本案例,先生! 这,得由你来证明了
When in the course of human events,
当我们国家的男男女♥女♥
our men and women came to your country as your allies,
作为你们的盟友来到你们国家…
it was not to become your prisoners.
他们不是来做你们的囚徒的
Sir, may I bring you up to date? We’re living in the 20th century, not in the 18th.
需不需要我帮你跟上现在的时代?我们活在20世纪,而非18世纪
May I bring you up to date, sir?
需不需要我帮你跟上现在的时代?先生
We are not alive at all.
我们已经不再活着了
A point.
说得好
And I am up to date, sir.
而且我也跟上时代了,先生
I’ve been watching you English from upstairs.
我一直在上面看着你们英国人
Your wars, your politics, your business.
你们的战争、政♥治♥,以及你们的庸庸碌碌
From the tax on tea in 1766
从1766年的茶税…
to a certain report on England
到1944年的一份关于…
by five members of the United States Senate in 1944.
英国的,由五个美国参议员起草的报告
The defendant has nothing to do with tea nor senators.
被告与茶或参议员没有任何关系
But other Englishmen had, sir.
但其它的英国有与此有关,先生
Is Peter D. Carter what you would call a good Englishman, sir?
Peter D Carter是你们所称为的一个好英国人吗?
Yes, sir.
是的先生
Do you see this glass?
你看到这个玻璃杯吗?
Out of it Benedict Arnold drank the health of King George Ill.
本尼迪克特·阿诺德用它举杯祝乔治三世身体健康
Does it break because it is faulty or because it is glass?
它被摔碎的原因,是因为它有错,还是因为它是玻璃杯?
Can I tear this piece of paper because it is defective
我能撕开纸张是因为它有错
or because it is paper?
还是因为它是纸张?
We are all as God made us, sir.
我们都是由上帝所造,先生…
But our ancestors had a deal to do in the shaping us, as well.
但我们的祖先也对我们现在的样子起了重要的影响
I quite agree. The jury will please note that.
我相当同意 陪审团请记下这点
My lord, may I ask where Mr. Farlan’s grandfather was born?
殿下,我能请问Farlan先生的祖父是在何处诞生的吗?
Your Honor, the question is irrelevant.
这问题与本案无关
Could it have been in England?
难道不是英国吗?
You need not answer that question, Mr. Farlan.
你无需回答这个问题
But I prefer to answer, Your Honor.
我更愿意回答他,法官阁下
My grandfather left England, sir, because he didn’t like it.
我的祖父离开了英国,先生 因为他不喜欢那个地方
And Granddad would have liked it even less today.
他肯定更不喜欢现在的英国
Listen.

Well, here we are at Lord’s.
“好的,现在我们在罗德板球场…”
The voice of England in 1945.
1945年来自英国的声音

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!