He knew where he was going.
他知道他的方向
He had his foot in the door,
他已经一脚跨进
and he kept right on pushing to get in.
所需的只是加把劲将另一脚也踏进门
He had lost the election, but he’d won the state,
他虽败于选举 但他却赢得全州的民心
and he knew it, and the people knew it.
他知道这点 人们也都知道
They were all hopping on his bandwagon…
他们都开始转向投入他的阵营…
even Tiny Duffy.
甚至泰尼·达菲也是
Yep, Willie came back like he said he would.
是的 威利又再度回来了
You wanna know what my platform is? Here it is.
你们都要来要我的传♥单♥吗?
I’m gonna soak the fat boys, and I’m gonna spread it out thin.
我会推广出去 我要分出去
Willie was right… he’d learned how to win,
威利是对的… 他学会怎么得胜
and he spent a lot of money doing it…
他花了很多钱来达成…
an awful lot of money.
一大笔的钱
I was beginning to wonder where he got it from.
我开始怀疑他的钱怎么来的
There were rumors throughout the state
传言说
that Willie was making deals with all kinds of people…
威利和各个势力签约…
strange deals…
奇怪的合约…
for Willie Stark.
可怜的威利·史塔克
The second time out, it wasn’t a campaign; It was a slaughter.
第二次威利可真是威猛有力
It was Saturday night in a mining town.
那是在周六晚上
Yep, Willie came back like he said he would.
是的 威利像他预言地东山再起
He came back, and he took me with him.
他东山再起 得到他想得到的
This is Jack Burden, a friend of mine.
这位是杰克·波顿 我的朋友
He’s gonna live here. Give him anything he wants.
请给他一切他所需要的用品
Let these boys through, officers.
非官员请勿上来
Duffy works for me now.
达菲现在为我工作
Looks like everybody works for you.
看来每个人都在为你工作
No, not yet. But I wanna keep him around.
没有 没有 但我希望大家帮忙
He reminds me of something I never wanna forget.
你会提醒我一些重要的事情
Come on, come on, come on, come on. These the boys?
来 来 大家过来 男孩们
These are the boys that can get the boys.
这些是能找人的男孩们
How many you think you can get? Fifty.
你们能找多少个? 五十个
How much? Five dollars a head.
多少钱? 一个人五元
What do you think, Sugar? They look like good boys?
你觉得怎样 看来像好孩子吗?
They b-better be.
他们最好是
Get a hundred. All right, go on, all of you. Blow. Blow. Blow.
找一百个 好了 去找吧
You too, Duffy. Go on.
达菲 去吧
Handbill distributors.
我要大量招些人来做事
If they all look like them, I’d hate not to take one.
如果都像这样 我宁可都不要
That’s the object. Not like when they beat up my boy, Tom.
那是表面 他们都像汤米一样行
How is Tom? Oh, he’s fine. He starts college in the fall.
汤米现在如何? 好极了 他现在读大四了
Oh. And Lucy? Fine, fine.
露西呢? 很好
Hey, I need a boy! Where’s a boy?
我需要个男孩 都到哪里了?
Take that downstairs.
拿到楼下
They’re waiting for it. Right away. On the double.
人家正在等
Listen, baby, you gotta double-space all of this.
你得加大空间
He can’t read it, see?
她没法看这么多
Sadie! This is for you.
萨迪 这个给你
They need four copies. Hi, Jack!
他们需要四份 杰克
How are you? Sadie’s my secretary now.
你好 萨迪现在是我的私人助理
Oh, pardon me.
借过 对不起
Fix your tie, Willie.
领带拉紧 威利
Hey, Sugar. Huh?
矮个儿 嗯?
Keep everybody outta here.
不要让别人接近这里
I want to talk to Jack and Sadie alone.
我要和杰克单独谈
Now you’re gonna work for me. Doin’ what?
我需要你为我工作 做什么?
I don’t know. Something’ll turn up. Won’t it, Sadie? Yeah.
我不知道你会不会拒绝 是的
We need a college man around… for research.
我们需要个大学毕业的研究员
How much did they pay you on that newspaper?
报社付给你多少钱?
Three hundred dollars a month.
一个月三百元
I could buy you cheap, couldn’t I? For a bag of salt.
我少出一点 你也得接受 打赌你会
No. No, I don’t play that way.
不 我不会这样
I like you, boy. I always have.
我会让我的人满足
I’ll tell you what I’ll do.
我告诉你我要怎么做
I’ll give you $400 a month and traveling expenses.
我给你每月四百元 当作旅途费用
You throw money around like it was money.
说了半天 还是钱
Money.

I don’t need money.
我不需要钱
People give me things. Why?
人们会给我物质 为什么?
Because they believe in me.
因为他们相信我
I was going home again, but this time it was different.
我又再度回家了 但这次不一样
Now I had a feeling that maybe the waiting was over…
现在我感觉等待即将结束…
for me and for Anne.
对我 对安都是的
It’s a far cry from where I come from to this house,
我走过遥远的路途来到这里
and, standing here
我站在
under the portrait of one of the greatest governors of this state,
本州史上最伟大的州长之一的画像前
talking to you people…
对着各位讲话…
well, it’s an honor I never thought I’d have.
这是我从未想到过的荣誉
Are there any questions? Mr. McEvoy?
有任何问题吗? 麦克沃伊先生?
No. I have no questions.
没有 我没有任何问题
Judge? A few, but it will hold.
法官? 我老了 但我仍会支持
I have a question. Shoot.
我倒有个问题 说呀
A lot of people in this state have been saying that
本州很多人说
you’ve been making deals…
你立了很多合约…
some of them with the very groups you claim you’re against.
有些是和你反对的团体订的合约
Is that true?
这是真的吗?
Adam, you know how rumors start.
亚当 你不知道源由
Yes. Yes, that’s true.
是的 那是真的
I have nothing to hide.
我没什么好隐藏的
I’ll make a deal with the devil if it’ll help me carry out my program.
我立了合约来帮助我完成计划
But believe me, there are no strings attached to those deals.
但请相信我 这里面没有任何暗盘的附带条件
You’re sure about that? Doc,
你能肯定确认? 医生
Jack here has been telling me how you feel about things…
杰克告诉我 你对许多事的感受…
how you’d like to see the sick people in this state given a break,
你想不想让生病的人有个机会
how you’d like to see a new hospital built…
在本州建个新的医院…
a hospital that’s the biggest and best that money can buy.
医院是金钱所能发挥最大的效用
You want those things, Doc, because…
你的心里会希望这样 因为…
well, because you’re a man who wants to do good.
你是个想做善事的人
Now I’d like to ask you a question. Shoot.
现在换我问你个问题 说呀
Do you know what good comes out of?
你知道善是从哪里产生的吗?
You tell me, Mr. Stark.
请你告诉我 史塔克先生
Out of bad… that’s what good comes out of,
善从恶来
because you can’t make it out of anything else.
因为你不能从其他地方获得
You didn’t know that, did you? No, I didn’t.
你不明白这点 对不对? 是的 我不明白
There’s another question I’d like to ask you.
我想问你另外一个问题
You say there’s only bad to start with,
你说一些皆由恶始
and that the good must come from the bad.
善是由恶处生
Who’s to determine what’s good and what’s bad?
由谁来决定什么是善 什么是恶?
You?
你吗?
Why not? How?
有何不可? 如何决定?
Why, that’s easy. Just make it up as you go along.
这很容易 在进行中做调和
Folks,
各位
there’s a time to talk, and there’s a time to act.
话要说清楚 事情也要做
I think the time to act is right now, and, with your support,
我想现在是采取行动的时候了 有你们支持
I not only will win, but I will do all of the things I promised.
我不只会赢 我更会做成一切的事
I need your help. Oh, I need it badly,
我需要你们的帮忙 太需要了
but I’m not gonna beg for it.
但我不会求你们
In the name of this state, which we love…
而是以你们所爱的州求你们…
in the name of the governor in whose house we meet…
而州长的办公室也会随时等你们…
I demand it.
我要求的
Well, what do you say, sir?
你的意见如何?
You’ve got to say yes. With you in the race, we…
你一定要说好 有了你…
I’m an old bird. I… But a game one.
我已是个老人… 但仍是有力人士
Look, I’ll give you complete power as attorney general.
我打算全权任命你为首席检查官
You can do anything you see fit.
你何以做一切你认为对的
I’ll swing the ax to clear the way for you.
我会在后面支持你的
Is that a deal? It’s a deal.
一言为定? 一言为定
Jack, we have to get back to town a lot to do. Dr. Stanton.
杰克 我们还要回城里去 斯坦顿医生
Good night, Anne. Good night, Jack.
晚安 安 晚安 杰克
Good night. Good night.
晚安 晚安

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!