I tell you, there’s nothing on the judge.
我说过了法官并没有怎样
Jack, there’s something on everybody.
杰克 这件事对大家都有影响
Man is conceived in sin and born in corruption.
一个怀有偏见 而看不见腐♥败♥的人
It’s a waste of time.
这是在浪费时间
What’s the matter, Jack?
杰克 你是怎么回事?
You’re afraid you might find something out?
你怕你会发现一些真♥相♥吗?
I kept saying to myself that Willie was wrong about the judge.
我一再对自己说 威利对法官的作法错了
If there was anything left at Burden’s Landing, it was honor.
波顿渡口保有最珍贵的就是荣誉
I had to believe that.
我不得不相信这点
Anne, I want to ask you a question.
安 我问你个问题
Was the judge ever broke?
法官 有没有穷困没钱过?
Really broke?
真正破产过?
Why do you want to know?
你为何想知道?
I don’t want to know.
我并不想知道
But I’ve got to.
但我必须知道
Did he tell you… Did who tell me?
他们有告诉你… 他们没告诉我
I don’t know.
我不知道
How should I know if the judge was ever broke?
我怎么会知道 法官有没有破产过?
Hello. Come on, Anne.
你好 来
Take this food and start cooking. I’m hungry,
把这些拿去煮 我饿极了
Me, I’m on the thirsty side.
我也口渴了
Bring some glasses, Anne, quick.
你拿些杯子来
It’s been a long time since I played this thing.
好久没弹这个东西了
What do you say we wake up the ghosts, huh?
我们把鬼都吵醒如何?
Another glass, Anne, for a ghost.
安 再拿一杯给鬼喝
Remember the last time I played this?
记得我上一次演奏这个吗?
You and Anne were dancing.
你和安在跳舞
Shall we dance?
我们跳支舞如何?
Let’s-Let’s have a drink first.
我们 我们先喝一杯吧
No, no. Keep playing.
请继续弹
Anne and I want to hear this,
安和我都想听
don’t we, Anne?
不是吗?
Adam,
亚当
ghost…
这杯给鬼…
and me.
这杯是我的
What shall we drink to?
我们为了什么而喝?
To ghosts?
敬你?
To Adam. To the director of the new medical center.
敬亚当 敬新成立的医学中心主任
Don’t you ever stop working for him?
你不能停止为他工作吗?
Adam. I came up here to get away…
亚当 我回来这里就是要远离…
I’m sorry, Adam. Well, I’m not.
我很抱歉 我可不
What’s wrong with being the director of the new medical center?
新医学中心主任有什么不好吗?
Nothing, except that I’m not going to take it.
没什么 只是我不会接受
Why? Because your uncle resigned?
没什么? 你打算辞退吗?
That’s partly it. There are other things.
那是部分原因 还有其他理由
What other things? You too?
还有其他什么? 你也是吗?
Yes, me too.
是的 我也是
Anne, if Adam doesn’t want to discuss it, let’s not.
安 亚当并不想讨论这件事
All right. Let’s discuss it.
好吧 我们就来讨论吧
But calmly. Calmly.
平心静气地 平心静气地
Go ahead, Jack. Why do you think he wants me?
开始说吧 杰克 你觉得为何他要找我?
Because you’re the best man for the job.
因为你是最好的人选
It could have nothing to do with my name being Stanton?
如果我不是姓斯坦顿 什么也别谈
It could have. Let’s grant that. That’s your answer.
不见得 我们要开放心胸 那就是你的答案
No, it’s not.
不 不是
If that were the only answer, I wouldn’t be with him anymore.
我已经不再和他们在一起了
There’s another side of it.
这事有其他的观点
I learned something from him:
我从他那儿学到许多
You can’t make an omelet without cracking eggs.
要做蛋饼 必先打破鸡蛋
Or heads.
甚至脑袋吗
But at least a hospital will be built,
至少他建造了医院
and the sick will be cared for.
生病的人能受照顾
At what price? At any price.
以何种代价? 不惜任何代价
Do you really believe that, Jack?
你真♥相♥信那些吗? 杰克?
I really believe that Stark wants to do good.
我确实相信史塔史想做好
You do too. It’s a matter of method.
你也是 这当中只是方法不同
Many times, out of evil comes good.
许多时候 善是由恶中生
Pain is evil. As a doctor, you should know that.
就像病痛是恶 身为医生 你应该知道这点的
Pain is an evil. It is not evil.
病痛是一种恶 但它不是真正恶
It is not evil in itself.
它本身并不是罪恶
Stark is evil.
史塔克才是罪恶
People of this state don’t think so.
本州的人并不这样想
How would they know?
他们如何会知道?
The first thing Stark did was
史塔克所做的第一件事
to take over the newspapers and the radio stations.
就是控制报社和广播电台
Why be so afraid of criticism?
他为何这么害怕批评?
If Stark is interested in doing good,
如果史塔克有心为善
he should also be interested in the truth.
他便应该有心求真
I don’t see how you can separate the two.
我看不出 他能了解善与真的关系
No, Stark is not for me.
不 史塔克不适合我
No, Stark is not for you. Well, what’s for you?
不 史塔克不适合你 那么什么适合你?
Pride. Pride, that’s all it is. Foolish, stupid pride.
尊严 就是只有尊严 愚昧的尊严
All you’ve ever talked about is what you could do…
你所说的都是你能做的吗…
if somebody would tear down and build.
有人能拆掉再重建吗?
All right. Somebody has, and he’s given it to you.
我知道 我知道有人给你现成的
But he’s not for you. No, he’s not for you.
但他却不适合你 是的 他不适合你
Anne.

Anne!

Will I find anything, Judge?
我会发现法官的任何事吗?
Will I?
我能吗?
I didn’t find it all at once.
我并没有立刻就找到
It takes a long time
花了好久的时间
to go through old courthouse records and musty deeds.
走到郡资料库查了好多资料
A very long time.
花了好久
But it wasn’t too hard for me.
这对我来说并不太难
I was well trained in research,
我在研究方面上受过良好训练
especially this kind.
特别是这一类的
I found what I didn’t want to find.
我发现了我不想找到的
Have some photostat copies made of these. Yes, sir.
我要这一份的复印本 好的 先生
I’ll be back tomorrow for them.
我明天回来拿
Who is it? It’s me… Sadie Burke.
谁? 我… 萨迪·伯克
Wait a minute.
等一下
All right. Come in.
进来吧
Whew! Awful lot of smoke.
天啦 充满了烟味
Awful lot of whiskey.
还有一些威士忌酒
You sober?
你看到了吗?
Stone. I’ll have one with you.
风波吗? 跟你有关系的
What are you hiding out for?
你都在计划些什么?
I’m not. I’ve been sleeping.
没有 我都在睡觉
For four days? You’ve been back in town for four days.
睡了四天? 你已经回来城里四天了
Willie knows everything. Willie’s worried about his boy.
威利知道一切 威利正在担心找不到心腹
Willie’s boy is worried about Willie’s boy.
威利的心腹才担心他要找心腹
Why don’t you put something on the phonograph…
你为何不将那些用照片留些记录?
a lowdown, mean blues?
低沉 意味着忧郁?
Play it over and over again
一直看
until you crack it and get sick of it and go back to work.
让你自己烦到不想工作
I do it all the time. That’s not my problem.
我一直都在做 那不是我的问题
No, it isn’t your problem.
是的 那不是你的问题
I’ll wait for you if you want to powder your nose.
我在等你去参加一个集♥会♥
I’ll be with you in a minute.
等我一下就来 我就来
Hmm.

Yeah, I can see it.
是的 我看得出来
I got to look in the mirror to be able to see it.
我看着镜子便看得出来
Soft, white skin.
细白温美的皮肤
Not like mine.
不像我的
I had smallpox when I was a kid.
我小时候脸上有小麻子
Where I lived, it seemed nearly all the kids had smallpox.
很奇怪只有小孩子长麻子
It leaves your face hard.
脸上长好可很不容易
She’s got poise.
她颇有几分姿色
Look at the way she holds her head at just the right angle.
你可以等着看她拥抱着他

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!