He must have swallowed the dog.
他必定又狂饮了
Ladies and gentlemen,
各位女士 先生
it gives me great pleasure to introduce
我很高兴向各位介绍
that true man of the people,
最诚实的人
the next governor of the state, Willie Stark!
我们的下一任州长 威利·史塔克
My friends…
各位亲爱的朋友…
My friends, I-I have a speech here.
各位朋友 我准备了张演讲词
It’s a speech about what this state needs.
一篇关于:本州的需求
There’s no need in my telling you what this state needs.
其实 没有必要说明本州需要什么
You are the state, and you know what you need.
你们是本州人♥民♥ 都知道自己需要什么
You over there, look at your pants.
那边那位 看看你裤子
Have they got holes in the knees?
膝盖上都破洞了
Listen to your stomach.
听听你的肚子
Did you ever hear it rumble for hunger?
饿得叽哩咕噜作响
And you… What about your crops? Did they ever rot in the field…
而你… 你的农作物收成如何…
because the road was so bad you couldn’t get ’em to market?
马路是否太糟 使你很难到市场?
And you… What about your kids?
而你呢… 你的孩子们怎么样?
Are they growin’ up ignorant as dirt… ignorant as you…
他们成长中仍不能很快明理…
’cause there’s no school?
因为没有学校可读吗?
Nah, I’m not gonna read you any speech.
现在 我不打算读什么演讲词
But I am gonna tell you a story.
但我打算要告诉你们个故事
Hey, what’s he up to? Shut up.
他到底要干嘛? 闭嘴
Get ready to bust your sides laughin’,
要让你们笑
’cause it’s sure a funny story.
因为我要说个笑话
It’s about a hick…
是关于一个畜生…
a hick like you,
一个像你这样的畜生
if you please… yeah, like you.
请容我这样说… 你这样的混♥蛋♥
He grew up on the dirt roads and the gully washes of a farm.
他成长于这片农村的泥土地上
He knew what it was to get up before dawn and
这混♥蛋♥每天破晓前就起床
get feed and slop and milk before breakfast,
早餐前完成养家畜的工作
then set out before sunup and walk six miles
然后走六英里的路
to a one-room, slab-sided schoolhouse.
到小学校上课
Oh, this hick knew what it was to be a hick, all right.
这混♥蛋♥所知道的 只是他会做混♥蛋♥
He figured if he was gonna get anything done,
他想着他完成了许多事了
well, he had to do it himself.
现在他要为自己做点事
So he sat up nights and studied books,
因此长大后 他晚上仍在读书
studied law.
他读些法律书
He thought he might change things some…
他想 也许他能改变些事情…
for himself and for folks like him.
为他自己 也为各位乡亲
Now, I’m not gonna lie to you.
现在我不打算骗你们
He didn’t start off thinking about the hicks…
他并不是一开始就想着…
and all the wonderful things he was gonna do for them… no.
这一切美好的结果… 不
No, he started off thinking of number one.
不 他一开始想成为第一
But something came to him on the way.
但有件事困扰了他
How he could do nothing himself without the help of the people,
他如何能没有人♥民♥的帮助
that’s what came to him.
而完成什么事
And it also came to him,
这就是他在想着的问题
with the powerful force of God’s own lightning,
他另外也想着 上帝是否背弃了他的家乡?
back in his county when the school collapsed
因为他家乡的小学建筑物倒下
because it was made of politics’ rotten brick…
而起因是政♥治♥上腐♥败♥的法案…
It killed and mangled a dozen kids.
它杀死了一大群孩子
But you know that story.
你们都不会忘记这段故事
The people were his friends
人们都是他的朋友
because he fought that rotten brick.
因为他对抗那腐♥败♥的法律
And some of the politicians down in the city, they knew that.
这个城市里 一些政♥治♥人物都知道
So they rode up to his house in a big fine car and
因此他们坐着闪亮的豪华汽车去找他
said they wanted him to run for governor.
要他出来竞选州长
Sadie, he’s wonderful… wonderful! So they told this hick,
萨迪 他讲得好极了 他们告诉了这个混♥蛋♥
and he swallowed it.
他接受了提议
He looked in his heart, and he thought, in all humility,
他检视他的心灵
how he’d like to try and change things.
他想放手一试 去改变这一切
He was just a country boy who thought even the plainest,
他只是个乡下孩子 他却相信 即使最平凡
poorest man can be governor,
最卑微的人 也能有机会做州长
if his fellow citizens find he’s got the stuff for the job.
他必须停下来考虑这项工作
Well, those fellows in the striped pants, they saw that hick…
那些穿着挺拔西装裤的人 他们看上这个混♥蛋♥…
and they took him in. Willie!
他们想要利用他 威利
What are you trying…
你在说什么…
There he is! There’s your Judas Iscariot! Look at him!
来了 就是这个高贵的政客
Lickspittle, nose-wiper! Look at him! Look at him!
我们将他赶下去吧 看看他
Play! Play anything! Joe Harrison’s dummy! Look at him!
奏乐 看着他的嘴脸
That’s a lie! Look at him!
那是谎言 看看他
Come get him, boys! Come get him! Look at him! Look at him!
看看他 看看他 看看他 看看他
Go get him!
看看他
Now, shut up! Shut up, all of you!
停止 音乐停止了
Now, listen to me, you hicks.
现在听我说 混♥蛋♥们
Yeah, you’re hicks too, and they fooled you a thousand times
你们这群混♥蛋♥也像我以前一样
just like they fooled me.
被骗了一千次
But this time I’m gonna fool somebody.
这次我要反过来玩弄他们
I’m gonna stay in this race.
我要留在这次竞选之中
I’m on my own, and I’m out for blood.
我要为了荣誉浴血作战
Now, listen to me, you hicks!
听我说 混♥蛋♥们
Listen to me and lift up your eyes
如果你们
and look at God’s blessed and un-flyblown truth…
想听到报纸以外的事实…
And this is the truth:You’re a hick,
我就告诉你们事实 你们都是混♥蛋♥
and nobody ever helped a hick but a hick himself.
没有人是混♥蛋♥ 除非他甘愿被人当成混♥蛋♥玩弄
All right, listen to me, listen to me!
听我说 听我说
I’m the hick they were gonna use to split the hick vote.
他们想要利用我犯下错误
But I’m standin’ right here now on my hind legs.
但是我现在 独♥立♥自主地站在这里
Even a dog can learn to do that.
即使是一只狗也学得会
Are you standing on your hind legs?
你们能独♥立♥自主表达意见吗?
Have you learned to do that much yet?
你们都学会这样做了吗?
Here it is! Here it is, you hicks!
各位 各位
Nail up anybody who stands in your way!
你们没有一位能独♥立♥自主
Nail up Joe Harrison! Nail up McMurphy!
大胆地站起来吧 别再屈服于他们
And if they don’t deliver,
如果他们不改变
give me the hammer, and I’ll do it myself!
请支持我 我来做
I want his throat cut from ear to ear.
我要让他的声音传不出去
No use going any further, Jack.
再多打也没用了 杰克
We’re not printing them anymore.
我们不会再刊登了
I thought the Chronicle line was…
我以为新闻报的专文会…
“Divide and conquer.”
报社已被征服了
Stark is getting too big for his britches,
史塔克越来越制♥造♥本州的分♥裂♥
and the hicks are getting too smart.
而且太过自以为聪明
We’re now supporting Harrison.
我们现在支持哈里森
How do you square that?
你如何被收买♥♥的?
I work here. Well, I don’t… not anymore.
我还要在这工作 我可不再在这儿工作了
Jack, you fool.
杰克 别做傻事
If you had any guts you’d print this.
你对出版东西 没有一点正义勇气
I work here. I take orders.
我在这儿工作 要接受命令
I know. You got a wife and three kids,
我知道 你有老婆和三个孩子
and your boy goes to Princeton.
你养活其中之一上普林斯顿
You won’t find it easy to get another job.
别忘了 这工作很难得的
I’m too rich to work.
我不必靠这份工作也能过活
We didn’t do so good. Double bourbon.
我们表现得不太好 喝杯酒吧
Same for me. And a beer.
我也是 来杯啤酒
Hear you got fired from the paper.
听说你被报社开除了
You heard wrong. I quit.
你听错了 是我辞职的
You’re smart, ’cause before I’m through with that mob,
你是明智的 在我对群众前演讲厌烦之前
they’re not gonna have enough money left to
我不像他 有足够的钱
pay the boy that cleans the spittoons.
付给那些人
How do you feel, Willie? I feel fine, fine.
你现在有何感觉 威利? 我觉得很好
You see, Jack, I learned something. Yeah? What?
杰克 你知道吗 我学到一些事 什么?
How to win.
如何获胜
I didn’t see Willie again until his second campaign,
我直到下次竞选才再看到威利
four years later.
那已是四年后了
I drifted from job to job…
我四处到处去找工作…
that is, whenever I could find one…
试每个可能的机会…
but always further and further away from Anne…
但工作总是离我越来越远…
and the life at Burden’s Landing.
但是渡口那里的生活也是
But Willie wasn’t drifting.
但威利可不会四处漂泊

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!