He wouldn’t be the first, Mr. Holabird.

Yes.
什么 这也是在古巴学的
What, did he learn this on some Cuban plantation, this decorative effect?
古巴种植园
Cuban plantation.
起立 起立
Stand up. Stand up.
起来
Hey.
起立
Stand up.
谢谢
Thank you.
法官大人 我虽是费城 人 但我会说西班牙语
Your Honor, I speak more Spanish, and I was born in Philadelphia.
法官大人 在西班牙种植园里
Your Honor, on Spanish plantations, slaves always choose to live
奴隶可以保持自己的生活方式和语言
surrounded by their own ways and simple languages.
请问 为何他们要懂西班牙语
Pray tell, what need they know of Spanish?
比如…”取来” “拿着” “停下”
Fetch? Carry? Stop?
就像对其它家畜那样
Ofttimes, gestures suffice for slaves,
对奴隶打手势就行了
as, indeed, for any other beast of burden.
法官大人
Your Honor.
我代表雷兹和蒙茨先生
I represent the interests of Señors Ruiz and Montes.
我记得
I remember.
我有在哈瓦那签署的买♥♥奴契约
I have a bill of sale issued in Havana for the purchase of slaves.
我也记得
I remember that, too.
上面除了价格外还有名字
On it, in addition to the amounts paid for each, are their names.
乔希 伯纳德…柏高等等
Jose, Bernardo, Paco and so on.
我谨代表当事人呈上卖♥♥身契
On behalf of my clients, I submit this document to the court.
鲍德温先生 你提供了
Mr. Baldwin, you’ve proffered to this court this morning
大量的 客气地讲 旁证
a good deal of, I’ll be kind, circumstantial evidence.
你有没有实际的文件
Have you, in addition, anything, say, in the order of actual documentation
可以反驳这个
that might refute this one,
从而更有力的支持你的辩护
and in so doing, more compellingly support your claims?
我可以很容易地像他们 一样制♥造♥证据 法官大人
I’m sure I could manufacture some as easily as they have, Your Honor,
如果那些可行的话
if that would suffice.
你是说你没有证据
But what you’re saying is, then, you don’t.
对不对
Is that correct?
我有他们
I have them.
恐怕没有说服力
I’m afraid that does not impress me.
我认为你表现得很好
I thought you did quite well.
是吗
You do?
老实说 比我预想的好
Much better than I expected, to be honest.
谢谢你
Well, thank you, I think.
我担心你可能会忘了
Although, I was concerned for a moment that you might’ve forgotten
这与其它的案子一样
that this is just a case like any other.
你用不着担心
Well, you needn’t worry about that.
那好
That’s good.
你好 辛克 我叫鲍德温
Hello, Cinque. My name is Roger Baldwin.
是你的律师
I’ll be your attorney.
好 谢谢
Yes. Thank you.
好吧…
All right.
我需要证明你从哪儿来
I need to prove where you’re from.
你想证明我们从哪儿来
You want to show them where we’re from.
你怎样告诉我呢
How are you supposed to tell me? I…
我该怎么向你解释我们从哪儿来
How can I explain to you where we’re from?
或许 我…
Maybe, I…
听着 我为什么不…你先说
Listen, why don’t I… You go.
抱歉 你先讲
I’m sorry, you should talk first.
这里 我是从这里来的
Here. This is where I’m from.
这里 这儿
Here. This.
这里 这里是
All of this. All of this is…
这儿就是
That’s here.
我家
my home.
这里
Here.
古巴 古巴是个岛
Cuba. Cuba’s an island.
阿米斯塔德号♥ 这里是
The Amistad. This is where you…
在这里大家…都被杀掉了
Where everyone was killed. Here.
这儿 古巴 阿米斯塔德号♥
Cuba, the Amistad.
古巴 这是你家 我想不是
Now, Cuba, is this your home? I don’t think so.
不过…等一等
But… Excuse me.
现在…
Now…
非洲
Africa.
这是你家 对吗
This is your home, isn’t it?
这是…你家 对吗
This is your home. Yes?
你大老远的来到本地
You came all the way from here.
从这里来
This…
这是…我走过的路程
This… Is how far I’ve come.
抛锚 卸货
Secure the barrels for transport.
埋头干 小伙子们
Put your backs into it, boys. Come on.
这是法庭手令
This is a court order granting us permission to board
批准我们搜查此船
and search this vessel for evidential purposes.
他们要干什么
What did they want?
要上船
To come aboard.
我叫他们申请这样一张真正的手令
I informed them they needed to obtain one of these, an authentic one.
你来吗
Aren’t you coming?
起锚
Heave-ho!
我的灯呢
The light. Light…
点灯 鲍德温先生
Light the lamp, Mr. Baldwin.
我正在点
I’m trying.
乔德森先生
Mr. Joadson!
我在这儿
Here.
你没事吧
You all right?
没事
Yes.
这些文件
These papers,
有待法庭鉴定的 是昨天我在阿米斯塔德上
and I shall ask you to examine them, are portions of a ship’s manifest
找到的货物清单的一部分
I retrieved from the Amistad yesterday eve.
乍看起来
At first glance, perhaps,
似乎对控方有利
they may appear to bolster the prosecution’s case.
请看 他们详细列出了货物
You see, they list cargo,
并着重记录了我的当事人
cargo bearing the very Spanish names
清单的空白处潦草地写着
that Messrs. Ruiz and Montes insist represent my clients,
雷兹和蒙茨先生的名字
hand-scrawled in the margins.
但这不是阿米斯塔德的清单
But, no, this is not the manifest of the Amistad at all. Look.
请看 这是一艘葡萄牙船的清单
This is part of the cargo manifest of a Portuguese vessel,
臭名昭著的越洋运奴船铁科拉号♥
the notorious transatlantic slave ship, the Tecora.
铁科拉号♥
The Tecora.
霍拉博先生 你要多少证人我都可以为你去找
And I can bring you as many witnesses as you wish, Mr. Holabird,
-来证实这一切 -铁科拉号♥
-to corroborate this. -Tecora.
它一般在西非活动
Their clients trade primarily off the coast of West Africa,
在象牙海岸 塞拉利昂
the Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone.
我知道你们在想什么
I know what you’re thinking.
塞拉利昂是英国的保护国
Sierra Leone is a protectorate of the British Crown.
是禁止贩卖♥♥奴隶的
Slavery is outlawed there.
其主要港口也改名为自♥由♥城
Its principal port, in fact, has been rechristened “Freetown.”
那么 葡萄牙的铁科拉号♥
How then, can the Portuguese-flag-flying Tecora
怎么能在这里买♥♥卖♥♥奴隶呢
engage in the slave trades in these waters?
让我来告诉你们一句话
I’ll tell you how, in a word.
是非法买♥♥卖♥♥
Illegally.
不管这些人的口供是什么
Now, whatever these men say from this point on clearly matters not
他们全都在撒谎
because this proves them liars.
我的当事人不是他们所坚称的
My clients’ journey did not begin in Havana,
从哈瓦那出发
as they claim and keep claiming more and more emphatically.
不 我的当事人是从
No, my clients’ journey
是从很远的地方来的
began much, much further away.
我低估了你 先生
I underestimated you, sir!
真的低估了
I really did!
我视其为称赞
Well, I should take that as a compliment.
你的确应该 先生
You should, indeed, sir. You should, indeed.
你做到了
You’ve done it, I think.
我看不出法庭的判决会对我们不利…
I can’t imagine there’s no not reaching a favorable conclusion…
嘿 嘿
Hey! Hey!
我流血了吗
Am I bleeding?
没有
There’s nothing there.
为什么打我
What did I do to deserve this?
你为非洲人辩护 鲍德温先生
You took the case, Mr. Baldwin.
你替他们辩护 先生

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!