One to 10 in Mende.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Right. Five.
罗路
Lorlu
新鲜水果 刚从加勒比来的
Fresh fruit! Fresh fruit! Straight from the Caribbean!
这儿发生了什么事
What’s happened here?
昨晚有人死了
I don’t know. One of them died last night.
我们想把他搬走埋掉
We tried to take the body away to bury it.
他们想干什么 想保留尸体
Well, what do they want? They want to live with it?
他们想埋掉他
They want to bury him.
按他们的仪式来埋葬他
They have to bury him according to their Poro beliefs.
否则死者冤魂不散
Otherwise, his soul will haunt them forever.
如果我是你 作为狱长
If I were you, if I ran this place,
我会权宜变通 让他们埋葬他
I’d set protocol aside just this once and let them bury him.
我正有此打算
I was thinking the same thing.
我叫凯·那古…
My name is Kai Nyagua –
我叫凯·那古…也叫詹姆斯·柯维
My name is Kai Nyagua… and James Covey.
我说门迪语和英语 他的语言
I speak Mende and English… his language.
你俩可以通过我交谈
You and he will talk to each other through me.
衣服
The clothes?
还有姓名
And the names.
英国海军把我从奴隶船中救出
I was rescued off a slave ship by the British Navy.
我就再也没有回去
I never went back.
我们遇到了麻烦
A problem has arisen.
我认为原来的法官
The judge we had, who believed, I believe,
想释放你们
that you should be freed, has been dismissed.
但这个案子换了法官
A new judge has been called upon to hear the case,
这一次没有陪审团
this time without a jury.
这怎么可以 头儿是不能撤换的
How is that possible? A chief cannot be replaced.
我没法解释 你不懂 辛克
I can’t explain it in any way that you would understand, Cinque.
我也不懂 但事实如此
Or me, for that matter. Only that, well, it has happened.
我没有一流的口才
I am not a great orator or advisor, Cinque.
也没有显赫的地位
I’m not a big man in my profession.
我不知道自己是否能够 说服这个法官释放你们
I don’t know that I alone can convince this next judge to set you free.
我需要你的帮助
I need your help.
上庭时你一定要发言
When we go to court, I need you to speak.
我不是什么大人物
I’m not an advisor of any kind.
不能代表别人发言
I cannot speak for the others.
辛克 大家都说你能
Cinque, the others, they say you can.
都说你是个大人物
They say you’re the big man here.
我不是
I am not.
我听说过你打死狮子的事
What’s this I hear about a lion?
他们说你独自一人
They say you alone, alone, Cinque,
打死了最令人生畏的狮子
slew the most terrifying beast anyone has ever seen.
是不是真的
Is it not true?
那头狮子吃了好几个人
It had killed several people.
甚至吃了我们的猎手
Even hunters among us.
大家都怕它 我也怕
Everyone, including me, was afraid.
我们一家正在睡觉 狮子突然出现
I was lying down with my family when out of nowhere it appeared.
它向我扑来时
As it came for me,
我捡起块大石头 扔了过去
I picked up this big rock and I threw it.
奇迹出现了 我击中了它
And by some miracle, you see, I hit it.
他也莫名其妙 但狮子死了
He don’t know how that killed it, but it did.
一块石头
A rock.
一块石头
A rock.
村里人都感激不尽
I received the gratitude of everyone in the village.
我受到了尊敬
I was given respect.
他们把我当王子对待
They treated me as if I was a prince.
给我最好的衣服
They gave me the fine country cloth.
我什么都接受了
All these things they gave me, I took them all.
但我知道我没资格接受
But I knew I didn’t deserve it.
假如我的石头
For when I threw that rock at that beast
没击中狮子
if I had missed him…
他说他现在
He said he wouldn’t be sitting here today
就不会在此讲故事
trying to explain these things to you or me or…
早就死了
He’d just be dead.
明白吗
Understand?
懂吗
You understand?
我不是大人物 我只是很幸运
I’m not a big man, just a lucky one.
我可能会同意你的说法 可你却忘记了另一件事
I might agree with you, Cinque, except you’re forgetting something.
另一头狮子
The other lion.
阿米斯塔德号♥ 那次起义
The Amistad, Cinque. The insurrection.
难道又是幸运 我不相信
That, too, was an accident? I hardly think so.
那不算勇敢
That wasn’t bravery.
为了与家人团聚 谁都会那样做
Any man would do the same to get back to his family.
你也会那样做
You yourself would do it.
有人说这可能是你的
Someone said that might be yours.
是我妻子给我的
My wife gave it to me.
保佑我平安无事
To keep me safe.
辛克 我需要你告诉我 你如何来到这里
Cinque, I need you to tell me how you got here.
你再出声 我就打你的脑袋
I’ll hit you in the head again if you talk.
我与你分享收成 我会…
I’ll share the profit of my harvest. I’ll give you all of it if you –
朗勃窟奴隶营
Lomboko Slave Fortress
这个俘虏有病 别给他
This one’s sick, don’t give him any.

Her.
不是她
Not her.

Her.
古巴 哈瓦那
Havana, Cuba
伯纳多
Bernardo.
我也想宰了他们
I wanted to kill them, too.
他们说服了我们不少人 说他们可以带我们回家
For they convinced some of us that they would take us back home.
谢谢你 先生
Thank you, sir.
霍拉博先生
Mr. Holabird.
故事很精彩
Quite a tale.
曲折离奇 绑♥架♥掳人
Intrigue, abduction,
还有面对千辛万苦的勇气
courage in the face of unspeakable suffering.
好 告诉我 这都真有其事
And all true. All right. Now tell me if this is true.
非洲有些部落千百年来
Certain tribes in Africa, for hundreds of years,
拥有奴隶
thousands, perhaps, have owned slaves.
翻译
Translate.
在怎样的环境下 一个人会才变成奴隶
And under what circumstances might one become a slave,
我指的是 门迪人
say, among the Mende, of which you claim to belong?
翻译
Translate.
战争 债务
Wars, debts.
我明白了
I see.
那么有多少人欠你的债
And how many men are indebted to you?
-我想你并不明白 -你说什么
-I don’t think you do see. -Excuse me?
-法官大人 霍拉博先生…-这不一样
-Your Honor, Mr. Holabird… -It’s different.
试图恐吓我的同事
is trying to intimidate my colleague.
门迪语奴隶的意思接近工人
The Mende word for “slave” is closer in meaning to “worker.”
那些工人有没有土地
Do these workers own the land they work on?
还是他们有工资
Do they receive wages?
他们有不为你工作的权利吗
Are these workers free to not work for you, if they so choose?
他在盘问翻译
Your Honor, he’s questioning the translator.
翻译代替证人回答
No, the translator is answering for the witness, Your Honor.
-证人没机会回答 -鲍德温先生
-The witness isn’t being given a chance. -Mr. Baldwin!
好吧 鲍德温先生
Fine, fine, Mr. Baldwin!
奴隶 契约劳役
Slavery, indentured servitude.
无论怎样叫
Whatever they want to call it, I don’t mind.
本质都一样
The concept is the same.
现在他熟悉了这个概念
Now, he is familiar with the concept.
当你来到这里 谈什么都要金钱 不是吗
After all, when you come down to it, it’s all about money, isn’t it?
奴隶 生产 金钱 本质都一样
Slaves, production, money. I mean, that’s the idea of it.
无论是在这儿 还是在那儿 我糊涂了
Whether it’s here or there. I’m confused.
你们真像你绘声绘色所说的那样
Do your people routinely slaughter their slaves
常常杀害你们的奴隶吗
in the manner that you just so vividly described to us?
当然不是 那没道理
Of course they don’t. What would be the point of that?
杀自己的奴隶就像 烧自己的房♥子一样

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!