You took the case, sir.
我以之为荣
I should take that as a compliment.
你可能已经看出
“As you may perceive,
我希望你立即采取行动
“I wish you to act promptly before this matter of the Africans
以免危害我们两国的关系
“becomes a weight on our two countries.”
嗯 大国
“Great countries.”
我们两个大国
“Our great countries.
毕竟 大国间的关系就是通商
“After all, the business of great countries is to do business.”
奴隶买♥♥卖♥♥乃新大♥陆♥通商之本
Slavery is our pillar of commerce in the New World.
舍此 我们的良好的信誉和贸易关系…
“Without it, our goodwill and excellent trade relations…”
-就会受到危害 -就会受到危害
-“Should be imperiled.” -“Should be imperiled.
而我国助贵国抗英之义举
“Without it, we might have been denied the glory
也将不被承认
“of aiding you in your virtuous rebellion against the British.
作为奴隶主国家 我们两国应坚定团结
“As slave-owning nations, we must together stand firm.
为你的国民大众谈人♥权♥
“Speak the words of humaneness for the masses of your citizens,
但紧紧抓住保护他们的力量
“but hold tightly to the power that protects them.
这个力量就是财富
“That power, of course, is their wealth.
非洲人永远也不能自♥由♥
“The Africans must never go free.
最热忱的西班牙女王
“With sincerest admiration,
伊莎贝拉二世
“Isabella II, Queen of all of Spain.”
我不会理会一个年幼的女王
I am not about to bend to the will of some pubescent queen.
忘掉他们 他们并不重要
Forget about them. They’re unimportant.
-不过是个小女孩 -您需要考虑一下
-Prepubescent. -What you need to concern yourself with
此次事件在这边的意义 而不是大洋那边的意义
is what this matter means here, not an ocean away.
那你们就告诉我有什么意义
I wish someone would tell me what it means!
你自己说过 这是件小事
Leder, you yourself said it was meaningless.
哦 现在已经不是了
Well, not anymore.
约翰·卡胡恩找过我
John Calhoun paid me a visit.
哦 上帝
Oh, God.
向我解释了这个案子的重要性
To explain to me why this case is of much greater import,
用他的话说 对南方比
much greater symbolism, to use his word,
对北方更有象征意义
to the South and the North.
如果把非洲人处死
Now, if the Africans are executed,
废奴人士会趁机宣传
the abolitionists will certainly make good use of it.
争取更多的支持者
And, yes, they will make some converts.
如果非洲人获释
If, on the other hand, they are freed, if that happens,
卡胡恩说南方
Calhoun assures me the Southern states will
会群起反对您 您就不会获得连任
so ally themselves against you, that you can forget about re-election.
就这些
Over this?
还有更糟的
It’s worse than that.
更糟 还有什么比这更糟的
Worse? What could be worse than that?
我也不得不认同卡胡恩的观点
Calhoun believes, and I am not sure I can entirely disagree with him,
这可能会进一步引发内战
that this could take us all one long step closer to civil war.
可能么
This?
很可能 总统先生
Yes, Mr. President.
但还有回旋的余地
But all is not lost.
陪审团看起来想放人
Yes, the jury appears disposed towards freeing them.
但我们可以解散他们
But juries can be dismissed.
可以吗
They can?
但我认为应进一步换掉法官
But I believe we must go further and remove the judge.
我们可以这么做吗
We can do that?
为了自保 他可以被各种理由说服
He could be prevailed upon to recuse himself for any number of reasons.
如此说来
And with that in mind,
我已经找到几名替补
I’ve taken the liberty of exploring possible replacements,
并挑出最合适的人选
and I’ve found one I strongly believe to be better.
他很年轻 事业刚刚起步
He’s young, which means he has a career before him rather than behind,
不会为流芳百世
which means he has yet to feel the hankering
而宽大处理此案
for magnanimous last gestures for the sake of posterity.
他极度缺乏安全感
And he is monumentally insecure,
尤其是他出自天主教家庭
particularly about his Catholic heritage.
-他是天主教♥徒♥ -他祖父是天主教♥徒♥
-He’s Catholic? -His grandfather was Catholic,
科克林先生一向对此保持沉默
which young Mr. Coglin has striven all his days to keep quiet.
总统先生 这位是科克林法官
Mr. President, meet Judge Coglin.
科克林先生 见到你很高兴
Judge Coglin, we are so pleased to meet you.
感谢你特意前来
Thank you so much for coming.
我在看报纸
I’ve been reading in the papers
看阿米斯塔德号♥的长篇报导
the continuing saga of the Amistad.
真的报纸
Real papers.
先生 真的报纸
Real papers. Yes, sir.
是的 很不幸 写满了所有版面
Yes. Bad luck, this last unfolding chapter.
现在做什么
What to do now?
这就是我来打扰您的原因
Which is precisely why I came to Massachusetts and imposed on you, sir.
不强求 真的
No imposition, really.

Yeah.
那个年轻的律师…
How did that…
他对这段新闻有什么反应
How did that young lawyer take the news?
噢 大进展 先生 有了很大进展
In stride, sir. In stride.
重要的是他做得都很对
The thing is, sir, he did everything right.
-他查明了案件 -是吗
-He proved the case. -Did he?
是 先生 令人喜出望外
Yes, sir. Surprisingly, he did.

Good.
那他必须再做一遍
Well, he’ll just have to do it again, then, won’t he?
与别的事一样 第二次会更熟
But like most things, it should be easier the second time around.
他表现如何已经不重要了
Well, I’m afraid it doesn’t matter what he does now, sir.
听说新法官是范布伦亲自挑选的
Rumor has it our next judge was handpicked by Van Buren himself.

No!
我很尴尬 因为我认为
Well, I’m embarrassed to admit that I was under the misconception
我国的行政 司法两权分立
that our executive and judicial branches were separate.
不比这些独♥立♥ 乔德森先生
No more so than these, Mr. Joadson.
并不比这些更独♥立♥
No more so than these.
现在你知道了
So now you know.
知道了
Yes.
-先生 -什么
-Sir? -Yeah?
总统先生 如果您来处理…
Mr. President, if it was you handling the case…
但不是我 谢天谢地
But it isn’t me. And thank God for that.
可如果是您呢 先生
But if it was, sir,
您会怎么处理
what would you do?
多年以前 我还年轻时作过律师
Well, when I was an attorney a long time ago, young man,
经过大量的审判和错误
I realized after much trial and error
我终于意识到 在法庭上
that in a courtroom
谁的故事最动听谁就会赢
whoever tells the best story wins.
一反律师的常态 我免费给你这个忠告
In unlawyer-like fashion, I give you that scrap of wisdom free of charge.
抱歉占用您的时间 先生
I’m much obliged for your time, sir.
顺便问一下 他们有怎样的故事
What is their story, by the way?
什么 先生
Sir?
他们有怎样的故事
What is their story?
他们 嗯…
Why, they’re…
从西非来
They’re from West Africa.
不 他们的整个故事
No. What is their story?
乔德森先生 你是哪里人
Mr. Joadson, you’re from where originally?
怎么 我是乔治亚人
Why, Georgia, sir.
-乔治亚人 -在 长官
-Georgia. -Yes, sir.
这能概括你吗
Does that pretty much sum up what you are?
乔治亚 这就是你的故事吗
A Georgian? Is that your story?
不 你以前是奴隶
No. You’re an ex-slave who’s devoted his life
你献身于废除奴隶制度
to the abolition of slavery, and overcoming great obstacles
我想你经历了千难万险
and hardships along the way, I should imagine.
这才是你的故事 对吧
That’s your story, isn’t it?
你和那位年轻的所谓的律师
You and this young so-called lawyer have
证明你们是最了解他们的人
proven you know what they are.
他们是非洲人 恭喜你们
They’re Africans. Congratulations.
但你们不知道
What you don’t know, and, as far as I can tell,
也不想去打听他们的身世
haven’t bothered in the least to discover is who they are.
对吧
Right?

Seven.

Eight.

Number nine.

And 10.
你呢 鲍德温先生
Now, how about you, Mr. Baldwin?
你能从一数到十吗
Would you like to count from one to 10?
用门迪语…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!