Mr. Tappan. How do you do, sir?
我叫罗杰·鲍德温 是个律师
My name is Roger S. Baldwin, attorney-at-law.
产业律师吗
Real estate attorney?
产业 发明及其它资产 先生
Real estate, inventories and other contestable assets, sir.
我可以帮你什么忙吗
Can I help you with something?
您是做什么生意的
Well, I don’t know. What is it that you do?
哦 我有不少生意…和银行
Well, I own various businesses and banks.
实际上您的确可以帮帮我 塔培安先生
Well, as a matter of fact, you probably could help me, Mr. Tappan.
但这并非我找您的原因 我想帮帮您
But that’s not why I’m here. You see, I’d like to help you.
-帮我 -对 我处理财产案子
-Me? -Yes. I deal with property, Mr. Tappan.
有时我替人夺回财产
And sometimes I get people’s property back for them,
有时我使人失去财产
and other times I get it taken away,
就像本案
as in this case, which is clearly a property issue.
这里的所有人
You see, all of the claims here,
都声称有所有权
every single one of them, speaks to the issue of ownership.
谢谢你…鲍德温先生
Thank you very much, Mr. Baldwin.
罗杰·鲍德温 产业律师
Baldwin, Roger S. Attorney-at-law.
但我需要的是刑事律师
But I’m afraid what’s needed here is a criminal attorney.
辩护律师 但谢谢你的好意
A trial lawyer. But thanks for your interest.
是的
Yes. Well,
坦白地说 塔培安先生 如果一定要用刑事律师
intending no disrespect, Mr. Tappan, but if that were the way to go,
那么
well, then, quite frankly,
我也就不来了
I wouldn’t have bothered coming down here, would I have?
再见 我祝两位先生下午愉快
Goodbye. I bid you gentlemen a good afternoon.
最后
In closing,
敬请我们麻省的同僚
I call upon our distinguished colleague from Massachusetts,
约翰·昆西·亚当斯议员
Representative John Quincy Adams,
重新考虑这个前所未 有的不适当的尝试…
to reweigh his unmeet and unprecedented attempt
不要将詹姆斯·史密森这些古怪的遗物…
to convert this eccentric bequest of,
老实说 这堆垃圾
let’s be frank, a bunch of junk of one James Smithson,
当成所谓国宝来展览
into a so-called institute of national treasure!
也许亚当斯先生正在想答词
Perhaps Mr. Adams is meditating on his response.
如果你的话
Had I thought your remarks worthy of
值得回应 平格尼议员
any kind of riposte, Representative Pickney,
我早在几小时前就回答你了
be assured you’d have heard from me hours ago.

Who?
塔培安先生 刘易斯·塔培安
Mr. Tappan. Lewis Tappan.

Yeah?
我必须去见他 有这个必要吗
I must see him? I’m required to see him?
不 他请求见您
No, of course not, sir. He requests an audience.
扶我一下
Give me a hand.
他求见我 是不是
He requests, does he?
我不认识什么塔培安
Yeah. I don’t know anyone called Tappan.
先生 您见过他好多次
Yes, sir, you do. You’ve met him on countless occasions.
在哪儿 他在哪儿
Where? Where is he?
就在那边 先生
He’s right over there, sir. Right there, sir.
那是什么
What is that?
-哪里 -就在那边 先生
-Where? -Right there, sir.
刘易斯 很高兴又见到你
Lewis! Good to see you again!
彼此彼此
And you, sir.
-这位是西奥多·乔德森 -你好 先生
-This is Theodore Joadson. -How do you do, sir?
见到您很荣幸 先生
-An honor to meet you, sir. -Yeah.
-先生 有什么地方…-我们去花♥园♥散散步吧
-Sir? Is there somewhere we could… -What? Let’s stroll in the garden.
-好的 -什么
-This way, sir. -What?
放手 这边来
Let go of my arm. Over here.
这件案子意义重大
I believe this case has great significance, sir.
国务卿也在观注此案
Our Secretary of State has already deemed it worthy of his attention.
你用不着叫嚷
-You don’t have to shout. Stop shouting. -No. Yes.
他支持西班牙女王
Well, he’s supported the Queen of Spain
认为她拥有那些非洲人
in her claims that the Africans belong to her.
目前也有人在争所有权
And then there are others making claims as well.
-两名水手…-现在是什么季节
-Two sailors… -What season is it?
-抱歉 您说什么 -我说现在是什么季节
-Pardon? -I said, what season is it?
我不明白您的意思
I don’t understand what you mean.
不看日历 有两个办法可以知道
There are two ways of knowing for certain without consulting a calendar.
枫叶落尽
The leaves on the maple trees have all gone and the fact that
还有总统不在宾西法尼亚大街的家中
the President is not at home over there on Pennsylvania Avenue.
告诉我 先生 你真的认为
Tell me, sir, you really think
范布伦会理会一个
Van Buren cares about the whims of
11岁戴头巾小女孩的怪念头吗
an 11-year-old girl who wears a tiara?
我告诉你
Because I can assure you, sir, having been over there,
现在他只关心一件事
only one thing occupies his thoughts this time of the year,
就是讨好所有的人
being all things to all people,
虽然这没任何意义
which, of course, means be nothing to no one.
换而言之 只设法赢得连任
In other words, getting himself re-elected.
扶我一下
Give me a hand.
-您肯帮我们吗 先生 -放手吧
-Will you help us, sir? -Let go of my arm.
拿着我的拐杖
Take my stick.
-亚当斯先生 -什么事
-Mr. Adams? -Yeah, what?
您主张废除奴隶制 您肯帮助我们吗
As an advocate for the abolition of slavery, will you help us?
我既不主张也不反对废奴
I’m neither friend nor foe of the abolitionist cause.
所以我也不会帮助你们
No, I won’t help you.
先生
Sir.
什么
What?
我了解您 总统先生
I know you, Mr. President.
我跟大家一样了解您
I know you and your presidency as well as any man
还有您的父亲
and your father’s.
在您孩提时他协助建立了美国
You were a child at his side when he helped invent America.
您又毕生投身于完善他的事业
And you, in turn, have devoted your life to refining that noble invention.
但还有一项未竟的使命
There remains but one task undone, one vital task
在这13块殖民地可以 准确地称为美国之前
the founding fathers left to their sons
列位国父留给后人一项重大的任务
before their 13 colonies could precisely be called United States.
这项重任 您完全知道 先生 就是废除奴隶制
And that task, sir, as you well know, is crushing slavery.
您的政绩证明您主张废奴
Your record confirms you’re an abolitionist, sir,
即使你没有这么做
even if you won’t.
-不管您承认与否 -乔德森先生
-And whether or not you admit it… -Mr. Joadson.
您是我们中的一份子
you belong with us.
你很会讲 乔德森先生
You’re quite the scholar, Mr. Joadson, aren’t ya?
相当有历史见识
Quite the historian.
关于这个能力 我有句话想说
Let me tell you something about that quality, if I might.
如果没有几分优雅
Without an accompanying mastery of at least one-tenth its measure of grace,
再好的学识也没用
such erudition is worthless, sir.
这点我了解得很清楚
Now, you take it from one who knows.
两位 失陪了
If you gentlemen will excuse me.
我们对您寄予了厚望…
We know we aimed high coming to see you, sir, but…
那就别再寄予厚望了
Well, aim lower!
另找一个愈遇挫折
Find yourselves someone whose inspiration blossoms
愈有斗志的人好了
the more you lose.
如果法庭将他们判给西班牙
If the court awards them to Spain,
他们将被送到古巴处死
they’ll be taken to Cuba and executed.
如果那两个军官得到他们
If the two lieutenants prevail,
他们会把黑人卖♥♥给西班牙
they’ll most likely sell them to Spain
一样会被处死
and they’ll be executed.
如果蒙茨和雷兹打赢了
If Montes and Ruiz are successful in their campaign…
我有点糊涂 这些对您有什么意义
I’m a little confused by something. What are they worth to you?
我们谈的是官司 不是钱财
We’re discussing the case, not its expense.
当然是官司…
The case, of course.
当然 这个案子比您想像得简单 塔培安先生
Well, the case is much simpler than you think, Mr. Tappan.
就与您的土地 牲口和遗产一样
It’s like anything, isn’t it? Land, livestock, heirlooms, what have you.
牲口
Livestock.
对 想想
Yes. Consider,
可以买♥♥卖♥♥的奴隶 必须天生是奴隶
the only way one may sell or purchase slaves is if they are born slaves,
就像那些种植园里的农奴
as on the plantation.
-我说得对不对 -对
-I’m right, aren’t I? -Yes.
-那么他们是不是 -是什么
-So, are they? -“Are they?”
哦 是不是天生的奴隶 像那些种植园里的农奴
Yes. Born slaves, as on a plantation.
我们不能肯定 很可能不是
No, we’re not certain, but we very much doubt it.
假设是吧 那他们就是财产
Well, let’s say they are, and if they are, then they are possessions,
就像书架一样 没资格受审
and no more deserving of a criminal trial than a bookcase or a plow.
现在我们可以走了 是吗
Then we can all go home, can’t we?
另一方面 如果不是奴隶

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!