我舅舅不同意我们在一起
My uncle has refused to give his consent.
-那封信成功发挥了作用 -谁寄来的
– The letter has done its work. – Who sent it?
格雷夏姆夫人吗
Lady Gresham?
或者她外甥
Or her nephew.
他们认为他们可以对我们为所欲为
They think that they can do what they like with us,
但我不会接受的
but I will not accept this.
我们别无选择
We have no choice.
当然有
Of course we do.
我完全依靠…
I depend entirely upon…
依靠你的舅舅
Upon your uncle.
而我依靠你
And I depend on you.
那你要怎么做
So what will you do?
做我必须做的
What I must.
我要对家人负责
I have a duty to my family,
简 我必须考虑到他们…
Jane. I must think of them as well as…
汤姆
Tom…
这就是你要对我说的吗
Is that… Is that all you have to say to me?
再见 勒弗罗伊先生
Goodbye, Mr Lefroy.
本庭判决如下
The sentence of this court is
你将被遣送回原籍
that you be taken to the place whence you came
从那里押往刑场
and thence to a place of execution,
并执行绞刑
and that you be there hanged by the neck until you are dead.
愿主宽恕你的灵魂
May the Lord have mercy on your soul.
下一个
Next.
他待你太差劲了 简
He has behaved so ill to you, Jane.
也许很快我们就能回到史蒂文顿的家里了
Perhaps soon we can return home to Steventon.
有罗伯特的消息吗
Is there any news of Robert?
他终于到了圣多明各
He has arrived in San Domingo at last.
不错
Good.
挺好的
Good.
跟我喝一杯吗 先生
Glass of wine with you, sir?
好啊
Yes.
一个浪荡♥女♥子向一个浪荡男子敬酒
Yes, a toast from one member of the profession to another.
对不起 我以前总是那么不听话
I’m sorry to have been so disobliging in the past.
韦斯利先生
Mr Wisley?
臭名昭著的雷德克里夫夫人
So, the infamous Mrs. Radcliffe.
她真的像她的小说一样古怪吗
Was she really as gothic as her novels?
外表不是
Not in externals,
但她的内心是美丽的 我猜想
but her inner landscape is quite picturesque, I suspect.
谁不是呢
True of us all.
一封给奥斯汀牧师的信
There’s a message for Reverend Austen.
-奥斯汀牧师的信 -谢谢
– Message for Reverend Austen. – Thank you.
舅舅
Uncle?
怎么了
What is it?
他似乎在抵达圣多明各后不久就去世了
It seemed he died very soon after landing in San Domingo.
天呐 他刚到没多久
My God, he was hardly there.
他生什么病了
What was the disease?
黄热病 克雷文大人在信里是这么说的
Yellow fever. Lord Craven, he wrote.
他说如果他早知道他已经订婚了
He said that if he had known he was engaged to be married,
他就不会带他去了
he would never have taken him.
简 还有件事
Jane, there’s something else.
勒弗罗伊先生 汤姆
Mr Lefroy, Tom.
怎么了
What?
我本来不想告诉你的
I would keep this from you if I could.
他来探望勒弗罗伊夫人 我…
He’s here visiting Mrs. Lefroy and I…
他订婚了
He is engaged.
这么快吗
So soon?
在写信吗
A letter?
不是
No.
是在伦敦时开始写的东西
It’s something I began in London.
是一个年轻女子的故事
It is the tale of a young woman.
两个年轻女子
Two young women.
出身虽不好 但心高气远
Better than their circumstances.
很多人都这样
So many are.
以及两位年轻男子
And two young gentlemen
他们的人生远比他们应得的要富足
who receive much better than their deserts
很多人都是这样
as so very many do.
故事开头怎么样
How does the story begin?
-糟糕 -后面呢
– Badly. – And then?
更糟糕
It gets worse.
我希望至少带点幽默
With, I hope, some humour.
结尾是怎样的
How does it end?
最后都收获了幸福
They both make triumphant, happy endings.
美满的婚姻吗
Brilliant marriages?
耀眼的婚姻
Incandescent marriages
嫁给非常富有的男人
to very rich men.
你曾经问过我一个问题
You asked me a question.
我可以给出答案了
I am ready to give you an answer.
但有一件事需要解决
But there is one matter to be settled.
我真是看不透你 韦斯利先生
I cannot make you out, Mr Wisley.
有时候
At times,
你是我认识的最有绅士风度的人 但是你…
you are the most gentlemanlike man I know and yet you would…
“但是” 多么伤感的词
“Yet”. What a sad word.
但是 你写的东西十分过分
And yet, you write yourself most tellingly to great effect.
-我当然是在说你的信 -什么信
– I’m speaking, of course, of your letter. – What letter?
是你姨妈替你写的吗
Was your aunt the correspondent on your behalf?
无所谓了
What matter.
无论以何种方式 浓烈的爱会让我们都变成傻瓜
One way or another, passion makes fools of us all.
我希望 爱也能及时让你恢复理智
I hope, in time, passion may regain your better opinion.
这种情感太荒谬了
The emotion is absurd.
当考虑到这通常都是针对女性的
When you consider the sex to whom it is often directed,
那简直与愚蠢无异了
indistinguishable from folly.
谢谢你的求婚 我接受 再见
I thank you for the honour of your proposal. I accept. Good day.
乔治 乔治
George, George.
韦斯利先生 他是个高尚的人
Mr Wisley is… He’s an honourable man.
我永远不会不管你的
You’ll always have a place with me.
奥斯汀小姐
Miss Austen.
勒弗罗伊先生
Mr Lefroy.
先生
Sir.
我想我得祝贺你 勒弗罗伊先生
I believe I must congratulate you, Mr Lefroy.
这个时候来探望一位老朋友
And you’ve come to visit an old friend at such a time.
真是体贴
How considerate.
我是来为我的所为做出解释的 虽然有些迟了
I have come to offer an explanation, belatedly, for my conduct.
我不知道该怎么形容
I cannot think how to describe it.
跟我说说你的未婚妻 勒弗罗伊先生
Tell me about your lady, Mr Lefroy.
她是哪里人
From where does she come?
她是韦克斯福德郡的
She’s from County Wexford.
跟你是同乡啊 真好
Your own country. Excellent.
是什么赢得了她的芳心
What was it that won her?
你的举止 微笑和令人愉悦的谈吐吗
Your manner, smiles and pleasing address?
不 不 完全不是
No, no, not at all.
不 如果我真的喜欢过他
No, had I really experienced that emotion,
我现在应该一见到他就会感到厌恶
I should, at present, detest the very sight of him.
你错了
And you are mistaken.
我甚至对出身富贵的韦克斯福德郡小姐不带偏见
I’m even impartial towards the gloriously endowed Miss Wexford…
我受不了了
I cannot do this.
所以你要嫁给韦斯利
And so you would marry Wisley?
拜托
Please?
如果你的内心有一丝诚实或公正
If there is a shred of truth or justice inside of you,
-你就不能嫁给他 -不 勒弗罗伊先生
– You cannot marry him. -Oh no, Mr Lefroy.
你自己也承认 你对公正所知甚少
Justice, by your own admission,
对诚实更是少之又少
you know little of, truth even less.
简 我努力过了
Jane, I have tried.
我努力过了 但我无法违背自己的意愿
I have tried and I cannot live this lie.
你能吗
Can you?
简 你可以吗
Jane, can you?
如果我们不能在一起 人生还有什么意义
What value will there be in life if we are not together?
跟我一起离开吧
Run away with me.
私奔吗
An elopement?
我就是这样的想法
That is exactly what I propose.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!