恐怕没有办法
I’m afraid there are no ways, sir.
我拒绝在安息日出赛 没得商量
I won’t run on the Sabbath and that’s final.
我本来打算 今晚和伯根海伯爵说清楚
I intended to confirm this with Lord Birkenhead tonight,
– 甚至在你们三堂会审之前 – 别这么无礼
– even before this inquisition. – Don’t be impertinent.
你们想说服我背弃信仰才无礼
The impertinence lies with those who influence a man to deny his beliefs.
你错了 我们正在诉诸于你的信仰
On the contrary. We’re appealing to your beliefs.
你对国家 国王的信仰及忠诚
ln your country and your king. Your loyalty to them.
说得好ue4d1我们那个年代的人 都先尊王再敬神
Hear, hear. In my day, it was king first, God after.
世界大战正是惨痛地 证明了你的论点
Yes, and the war to end wars bitterly proved your point.
上帝创造了国家 诸王 及他们治理国家的规则
God made countries. God makes kings and the rules by which they govern.
而那些规则明定 安息日是属于上帝的
And those rules say that the Sabbath is his.
我不打算违反戒律
And I for one intend to keep it that way.
里德先生 我们都是同一个宗族的后代
Mr. Liddell, you’re a child of your race, as I am.
拥有相同的传承和忠诚
We share a common heritage, a common bond, a common loyalty.
有时我们必须为忠诚 而做出某些牺牲
There are times when we are asked to make sacrifices in the name of that loyalty,
不愿牺牲 宣誓效忠只是空口白话
and without them our allegiance is worthless.
依我看 你正面临了这样的时刻
As I see it, for you, this is such a time.
先生
Sir…
我热爱我的国家
God knows I love my country.
但我不能做出这样的牺牲
But I can’t make that sacrifice.
请进
Come in.
殿下 林西阁下来了
Your Royal Highness, Lord Lindsay.
王子殿下 卡杜根伯爵 诸位好
Your Highness, Lord Cadogan, gentlemen.
很抱歉不请自来 但我很了解艾利克的困境
I do apologize for barging in like this. The fact is I am fully aware of Eric’s dilemma.
不知能否斗胆做一建议?
I wondered if I could be so bold as to suggest a possible solution.
请说
Do.
好的
Yes.
换一天 换一场比赛
Another day, another race.
– 这话什么意思? – 很简单
– What the devil’s that supposed to mean? – It’s quite simple, sir.
400米的比赛是在星期四
The 400 meters. It’s on Thursday.
我反正已经夺牌了 何不让艾利克代我上阵?
I’ve already got my medal, so why don’t you let Eric take my place in the quarter?
这个主意太好了 他能不能临时改变参赛项目?
I think that’s a splendid idea. Can we allow him to change events at such short notice?
这就得交由委员会来裁决
That’s a matter for the committee.
我们就是委员会 我认为这个主意很好
We are the committee. I think it’s a very good idea.
大卫?
David?
赞成者请大声说”赞成”
All those in favor say aye.
赞成
Aye.
里德?
Liddell?
– 安迪 我ue4d1 – 小事一件 无足挂齿
– Andy, I… – A pleasure, old chap.
只要能看到你赛跑的英姿 我就心满意足
Just to see you run.
赞成
Aye.
就这么说定了
Well, that’s settled.
刚刚真是尴尬透顶
A sticky moment, George.
还好林西来解围 我还以为被那小子打败了
Thank God for Lindsay. I thought the lad had us beaten.
– 我们是被他打败了 谢天谢地 – 我不明白
– He did have us beaten. Thank God he did. – I don’t quite follow you.
那孩子是个有原则的运动员
The lad, as you call him, is a true man of principle, and a true athlete.
他的速度只是他生命力的延伸
His speed is a mere extension of his life, its force.
我们却打算硬生生的 分割跑步和他本人
We sought to sever his running from himself.
没错 不过这也是 为了他的国家
For his country’s sake, yes.
不管是为了什么 都不值得
No sake is worth that, FE.
为了国家尊严更是不值得
Least of all a guilty national pride.
选手: “我拒绝星期日出赛”
上帝优于国王
“林西让贤里德”
“Lindsay makes way for Liddell.”
“变节苏格兰人改跑400米” “官员表示此人信仰狂热”
“400 meters for defecting Scot.” “‘Smacks of fanaticism,’ says official.”
“主教表示: 此人有原则 我们应以他为荣”
“‘Man of principle,’ says Primate.” “‘We should be proud.”‘
– 原来那就是奥♥运♥会场 – 没错
– So that’s the Olympic Stadium. – That’s it, Sam.
– 几乎就像置身其中 对吧? – 更好
– It’s as good as being in there, isn’t it? – Better.
因为我已经被列为 不受欢迎人士
Seeing as I’m persona non grata.
对啊
Yeah.
你现在是绝佳状态 此时不赢就永远赢不了
It’s tiptop, Mr. Abrahams. You’ve done a grand job. If we don’t win now, we never will.
你需要的东西都备齐了吧?
Have I got everything, Sam? Everything you need?
对 现在我们只要 等星期天到就好了
Yes. All we need now is Sunday.
我今天下午要引述 以赛亚书第40章
My text this afternoon is taken from Isaiah, chapter 40.
“看哪”
“Behold.”
万民都像水桶的一滴
“The nations are as a drop in the bucket
又如天秤上的微尘
and are counted as the small dust in the balance.”
“万民在它面前仿如虚无”
“All nations before him are as nothing.”
“被它看见不及虚无 乃为虚空”
“They are counted to him less than nothing and vanity.”
“它使ue72d王归于虚无”
“He bringeth the princes to nothing.”
“使地上的审判官成为虚空”
“He maketh the judges of the earth as a vanity.”
“你岂不曾知道吗?”
“Hast thou not known?”
你岂不曾听见吗?
“Hast thou not heard
永在的神耶♥和♥华♥
that the everlasting God, the Lord,
创造地极的主
the creator of the ends of the earth,
并不疲乏 也不困倦
fainteth not, neither is weary?”
幼稚
Juvenile.
– 这是这一行最古老的伎俩 – 我知道
– Oldest con in the business. – I know, Sam.
疲乏的 它赐能力
“He giveth power to the faint,
软弱的 它加力量
and to them that have no strength he increaseth might.”
但那等候耶♥和♥华♥的
“But they that wait upon the Lord
必从新得力
shall renew their strength.”
“他们必如鹰展ue202上腾”
“They shall mount up with wings, as eagles.”
他们奔跑
“They shall run,
却不困倦
and not be weary.”
行走ue4d1
“They shall walk,
却不疲乏
and not faint.”
还记得我们初遇的那天吗?
Do you remember when we first bumped into each other, old man?
我们同坐一辆计程车 记得吗?
We shared a taxi, remember?
你让我觉得自己
You made me feel
年老力衰 尖酸刻薄ue4d1
an age old, burdened, sour…
甚至高人一等
Even superior.
我那次真是大大失算
That was the miscalculation of my life.
艾伯瑞 你才是个真正的男子汉
You, Aubrey, are my most complete man.
你勇敢
You’re brave,
热情
compassionate,
仁慈
kind.
你的秘诀就是心满意足
A content man. That’s your secret.
心满意足
Contentment.
我已经24岁了 从不知心满意足的滋味
I’m 24 and I’ve never known it.
我盲目的追寻 却不知追寻的目标为何
I’m forever in pursuit and I don’t even know what it is I’m chasing.
艾伯瑞 我好怕
Aubrey, old chap, I’m scared.
山姆和我为了今天 使出九牛二虎之力
Sam and I, we’ve labored, rowed and bullied for this.
日复一日奔忙
Day in, day out.
我们汲汲营营的模样 想必让你窃笑不已
You’ve seen us – chuckled over us, I’ll be bound.
我们不论晴雨 都像疯子般的练习
Out in all weathers. Madmen.
这一切又是为了什么?
And for what?
我在200米竞赛中惨败
I was beaten out of sight in the 200.
准决赛又中了派杜克的计
I let Paddock trick me in the semi.
一个小时后 我又要再度上场比赛
Now, in one hour’s time, I’ll be out there again.
我举目看着四尺宽的跑道
I’ll raise my eyes and look down that corridor, four feet wide,
我必须在短短十秒内 证明自己的价值
with ten lonely seconds to justify my whole existence.
我能吗?
But will I?
我饱尝了失败的恐惧
Aubrey, I’ve known the fear of losing,
但又几乎怕得不敢赢
but now I’m almost too frightened to win.
“亲爱的亚伯拉罕先生 请原谅我不能来看你比赛”
Dear Mr. Abrahams. You must please pardon my not coming to see you run,
“纵使我很想到场观赛”
much as I would like to do so.
“不过我确信并希望 你能赢得百米竞赛”
However, I believe and hope you will win the 100 meters.
“全力以赴吧”
Go out determined to do your best.
“别忘了 踏出第一步时 身体放低”
And don’t forget, drop down at the first stride.
“赛前充分热身”
Get well warmed up,
“枪声一响向前猛冲”
and then let the gun release you.
“我建议你穿上 弹性极佳的六齿钉鞋”
I should use the springy old six-spike shoes.
“祝你好运 山姆穆沙♥比♥尼敬上”
All the best of luck. From yours truly, Sam Mussabini.
“附注 请收下我的幸运符”
PS. Please accept the charm.
“它曾为我父亲带来不少好运道”
My old father swore by it.
不能跟他们一块儿在下面 你不后悔吗?
No regrets, Eric, that you’re not down there with them?
有一点点
Yeah.
但我知道这样做是对的
No doubts, though.
殿下 请容我介绍 来自美国的鲍曼先生
May I present Mr. Bowman of the United States? Mr. Bowman.
– 麦奇森先生 – 麦奇森先生
– Mr. Murchison. – Mr. Murchison.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!