And then there are the critics
理解我所做的事情
that sort of understood what I was doing,
德·帕尔玛
衍生
耀眼
至少我认为他们是理解的
at least I felt they did.
他们要是不太喜欢我的电影
It never sort of bothered me
我也不会太在意
when they didn’t like the movies
因为他们觉得我的电影似乎对女人不太友好
because they were, you know, seemingly unkind to women
或者太暴♥力♥了
or too violent or…
对我自己来说
I just felt to me, it was always seemed like
我觉得这样处理素材是没错的
the right thing to do for the material.
宝琳·凯尔
电影批评家 纽约客作者 (1968-1991)
宝琳很喜欢我这件事
You know, the fact that Pauline liked me
使得人们对我议论纷纷
made people argue about me constantly.
我看待事物的方式
I have a kind of very complicated,
非常复杂 纠结
intricate way of looking at things.
我必须强迫自己直线型地工作
I have to force myself to work in very straight lines
因为 相信我 东西到了我的手上
because, believe me, when it gets in my hands
就会开始扭曲变形
it’s going to start getting twisted
运用各种反射和折射
and seen through reflections and refractions.
制♥造♥悬念的方法就是制♥造♥分散注意力的事物
A lot of creating suspense is creating distraction
让人忽视即将到来的悲剧
from the impending tragedy.
就像魔术把戏一样
You know, it’s like a magic trick.
你让人们看这只手
You want them to look at this hand
同时你的另一只手则在变着戏法
while the other hand is doing something.
所以你要创造出那块手绢
So, you have to create a whole texture
把观众的的视线从
that draws the audience’s eye away from the rabbit
你从帽子里面拉出来的兔子身上移开
that you’re pulling out of a hat.
《黑色大丽花》就是这样的一个例子
The Black Dahlia was an example
黑色大丽花 (2006)
它跟《虚荣的篝火》不太一样
of where, unlike Bonfire the Vanities,
我说 “我要按照《黑色大丽花》的样子
I said, “I’m just going to do The Black Dahlia
来拍《黑色大丽花》”
the way The Black Dahlia is.”
和达希尔·哈米特其他神秘的作品一样
And like a lot of those Dashiell Hammett mysteries
注:达希尔·哈米特:《黑色大丽花》原著作者
没有人能够全部理解
that nobody can quite understand,
我说 “我猜这就是这种流派的特色”
I said, “I guess that’s part of this genre.”
我说 “我要试着按照
I said, “I’m going to try to follow
原著来拍 还原它的复杂情节”
the original novel and all its complexities,”
当然很多人说到《黑色大丽花》的时候
and of course, everybody says about The Black Dahlia,
都觉得他们完全看不懂
they can’t follow anything.
我开始是在洛杉矶筹备这部电影
I started prepping it in Los Angeles
故事原本就是在洛杉矶发生的
where it takes place.
然后我们去了德国
Then we went to Germany,
后来去了意大利
then we wound up going to Italy
在那里进行前期制♥作♥
and prepping it there.
然后去了保加利亚
And we wound up being in Bulgaria,
在那里我们终于拿到了
where we finally got the final piece
拍摄电影所需要的最后一部分资金
of financing to get the movie made.
如果我要让一个人陷入危险的境地
If I’m going to put somebody in a dangerous situation
我更愿意让镜头跟随一个女人 而不是男人
I’d rather be following around a girl than a guy.
后窗 (1954)
导演 阿尔弗雷德·希区柯克
这是这个流派的一部分
It’s part of the genre.
穿着随意的女人
The woman with the negligee
手持烛台在屋子里面走来走去
walking around the house with a candelabrum.
你可以在我的许多电影中看到
You see in a lot of my movies.
看到角色的无助
You see the character’s helplessness.
而这一切的停滞中
The stop this,
这种疯狂正在上演
this madness going on.
我的家人
I live in a family
大多都极为自我
full of these incredible egotists
他们似乎无法意识到
who seem to be very insensitive
他们对彼此造成的任何伤害
about the kind of damage they were doing to each other
但我二哥十分敏感
and my middle brother is very sensitive.
巴特·德·帕尔玛
我觉得他不够强大
I don’t feel that he was powerful enough
无法面对这些压力
to stand up to these forces.
我曾经一直在保护他
I used to protect him all the time.
他没有我所拥有的那种斗志
He doesn’t have the kind of combativeness that I have.
我当时还只是一个小孩子
So, it would be like this little kid
努力去说 “别吼了
trying to say,”Stop shouting,
这不是他的错”
it’s not his fault.”
然而没有人注意到我
And nobody would pay any attention to me,
我毫无影响力
and I was basically ineffective
也是因为这样 我变得很坚强
and I became very tough because of that.
停下 停下
Slow down! Slow it down.
节选修订 (2007)
停下
Slow down!
《节选修订》的故事
You know the story of Redacted
基本上就是《越战创伤》的故事
is basically the story of Casualties of War
而这些事请对你来说根本讲不通
but you know these things that sort make no sense to you
“为什么我们要去越南 或者为什么要去伊♥拉♥克♥打仗”
like, “Why are we in Vietnam or why are we in Iraq?”
我们在前一次战争中完全摧毁了他们的军队
And we’re worried about Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction
在这之后 我们担心伊♥拉♥克♥的大规模杀伤性武器
after we have completely destroyed their army in a prior war.
他们没有空军
They have no air force.
十几年来 我们让他们饥饿至死
We’ve been starving them to death for a decade or so.
扎赫拉在《节选修订》里面
Well, Zahra played the part of the girl
扮演了被强♥奸♥的女孩角色
that gets raped in Redacted.
她当时是住在阿曼的难民
And she was a refugee, you know, living in Amman.
当时 我面对的是一种我完全不理解的文化
But I’m dealing with a culture I don’t understand,
当时我们让她出演了这个角色
so when we had her do all this stuff, you know,
包括让一个士兵假装强♥奸♥她
like the soldiers pretending to rape her,
我不知道这样违反了哪条
I mean, I don’t know what kind of cultural mores
文化习俗
I’m crossing here,
但是扎赫拉非常理解
but this–Zahra was very understanding
然后她按我所说的做了
and did the kind of things that I asked her to do
我觉得这对她来说是非常大胆的举动
and I felt that she was really going out on a limb here.
然而她的家庭
These are things that her family,
在看到这部电影后被吓坏了
upon seeing the movie, were horrified by.
她可以说是被自己的文化拒之门外了
I mean, she’s kind of been rejected by her whole culture.
但她是一个演员
But she’s an actress
她觉得自己做了正确的事情
and she felt that this was right.
可以说是我让她陷入这样的境地
And I got her into it, basically,
因为我是那个指导她那么做的人
because I’m the one that directed her.
所以与其把她留在那里
And then rather than leave her there
去面对未知的将来
with a very uncertain future
而且因为她是一个非常有天分的女孩
and because she’s a talented girl
一个非常美好的女孩
and a very wonderful girl,
我把她带到这里 让她上学
I brought her over here and put her in school
让她可以追逐自己的梦想
so that she can pursue her dream,
不管她的梦想是什么
whatever it is.
我想我现在回归到了
Well, I think I’m returning to the kind of movies
你们现在在做的这种电影
you guys are making.
你们在适应体制
You’re adjusting to the system.
激♥情♥ (2013)
如果你想拍个人电影
If you want to make personal movies,
拍出你的个人想法
with your own personal ideas,
你需要做好预算
you have to make them at a budget.
你所拍摄的电影类型
You make a certain kind of movie
恰恰反映出你看待事物的方法
because that’s the way you see things.
而这些画面会在你的电影中
And these images keep reoccurring again and again
一遍又一遍地出现
in your movies.
正是这些画面成就了你
And that’s what makes you who you are.
人们总是在谈论希区柯克
People talk about Hitchcock all the time,
他非常有影响力
you know, being so influential.
但我发现并没有很多人
I’ve never found too many people
在追随希区柯克流派
that followed after the Hitchcock school
除了我
except for me.
正是他创造了这些
Here’s a guy that developed
不可思议的叙事方式
those incredible visual storytelling vocabulary,
而这些都将随着他一同死去
and it’s sort of going to die with him.
而我是一个践行者
And I was like, the one practitioner
重新捡起他所开创的东西
that took up the things that he pioneered
并将它们构建成新的形式

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!