我是在1958年看的《迷魂记》
I saw Vertigo in 1958.
那时候在无线城音乐厅
I saw it at Radio City Music Hall.
那是我一生难忘的回忆
I will never forget it.
把手给我
Give me your hand.
那真的给我留下了
That left an incredible impression
很深刻的印象
upon me.
《迷魂记》为什么如此
What’s so compelling
吸引人呢
about Vertigo?
是因为
It is the–
他所拍摄的电影是彰显导演自己本身
He’s making a movie about what a director does.
也就是创造这些浪漫的幻象
Which is basically create these romantic illusions.
这使你爱上电影
It makes you fall in love with it.
一次又一次地折服于它
And then kills it. Twice.
这就是一个导演本职工作
And it’s what we do as directors.
我们创造这些绝美的女性
We create these beautiful women,
和让人血脉喷张的男性
these exciting virile men.
然后给观众代入感
We get audiences involved in their stories
给他们带来切实的情感触动
and emotionally attached to them.
希区柯克拍的电影呢
And Hitchcock made a movie
就是 那种
which is, you know,
注:布莱希特演剧理论:间离法:利用艺术方法把平常的事物变得不平常
非常”布莱希特” 风格
it’s so “Brechtian.”
就是在拍摄很普通
It’s showing what we’re doing
很平常的事物
as we’re doing it.
这也是我在看了
And it is something
《迷魂记》之后
that has fascinated me you know,
让我着迷的地方
since I saw Vertigo.
我是家里最小的孩子
I was the youngest.
我出生在新泽西洲北部
I was born in North New Jersey.
德·帕尔玛的家
新泽西州 奥兰治市
大概在我五岁的时候
When I was about five
我们搬到了费城的郊区
we moved into suburban Philadelphia.
薇薇安
布鲁斯
巴特
布莱恩
安东尼·德·帕尔玛肖像
托马斯·杰斐逊大学医院
就在主干道边上
Right off the main line
一栋漂亮的房♥子里
in a kind of fairly nice suburban house.
我父亲是一位颇有成绩的
My fatherwas a very successful
整形外科医生
orthopedic surgeon,
而我妈妈则跟我们
and then my mother was very close
兄弟三人很亲近
to the three of us.
她经常来学校看我们
She was over at school a lot.
参加我们的橄榄球训练
You know going to our football practices
还有足球训练
and soccer practices.
而我父亲几乎每天很早便开车
My father basically drove into the city
进城做手术 晚上回来呢
and operated very early and was teaching
就上课然后开始写书
and then writing his books when he got home at night.
所以我们不经常见到他
So, we didn’t see a lot of him.
跟他关系也不是很亲密
And we didn’t have much of a relationship with him.
后来我去了贵格教会学校
I went to a Quaker school,Friend Central.
我在那里读了十二年书
And I went to that school for 12 years.
要我说 那所学校
Well, I’d say the thing that left
留给我最深刻的印象是
the most impression on me was, you know,
贵格教会会议
meeting at this Quaker School.
就安静地坐在那沉思
Sitting in silence and thinking about
贵格教会学校
温尼伍德 PA
你生活中的伦理道德
the moral aspects of your life,
如果你有
and if you had anything
想跟大家分享的事情
you wanted to share with the community
就站起说
you stood up and talked.
我们家总是骚乱不断
There was a lot of turmoil in my family.
我的父母在一起并不开心
My parents were not happy together,
所以有一次我就站起来
and at one point I got up
跟大家分享了我家里的
and talked about the difficulties going on
这些难题
within my family.
我跟女生很合得来
I was very chummy with the girls.
跟女生们相处得很好
I got along with the girls very well.

与工作的女孩交友
我偶尔会做一些疯狂的事情
I would do sort of crazy things
比如去上女生的性教育课
occasionally, like taping the girls sex education class.
我记得有个叫黛比·德明的女生
Debbie Deming as I recall her name,
她赌我不敢去
she dared me to do it
我当然去了当然我告诉她我会去
and then of course I did it and then of course I told her
然后她就带我进去了
and then she turned me in.
后来我去哥伦比亚大学学习物理
I went to Columbia o study physics
数学和俄语
and math and Russian.
那时候我基本就是个科学迷
I was basically a science nerd.
我是说我对电影不太感兴趣
I mean I wasn’t really interested in movies,
德·帕尔玛获得了国家科技奖第二名
直到我去了哥伦比亚大学
not until I went to Columbia.
我在那经历了很多让人兴奋的事
There was a lot of excitement
因为那时候是战争时期
because of course we had the war.
我们都很担心入伍
Had to worry about getting drafted.
而且那时候
And we had all this
筋疲力尽 (1960)
导演 让-吕克·戈达尔
法国新浪潮不断涌入
French new wave stuff coming in.
那么多外国电影
All these foreign movies.
所以那真是让人亢奋的时期
So, it was a pretty exciting time.
四百击 (1959)
导演 弗朗索瓦·特吕弗
就好像 你只谈论这些事情
It was like, that’s what you talked about.
好女人们 (1960)
导演 克劳德·夏布洛尔
那就是 当时的新潮
That was like,the new thing.
在哥伦比亚没有地方
There was no place you could take film
可以拍电影
at Columbia.
我就报名了一个电影协会
I signed up for a cinema society
由阿莫斯·沃格尔成立的16电影
called Cinema 16 run by Amos Vogel.
16电影
阿莫斯·沃格尔
他们会放映非常前卫的短片
And they would show all these very avant-garde shorts.
那就是我报名的原因
That was– That’s what you signed up for.
我每年都会递交一部短片
I submitted my shorts every year
直到第三年 我获奖了
until the third year I won it
获奖短片是《沃坦的苏醒》
with Woton’s Wake.
布莱恩·德·帕尔玛
导演作品
沃坦的苏醒 (1962)
威廉·芬利
比尔·芬利是我在哥伦比亚的同学
Bill Finley was a classmate of mine at Columbia.
所以 我开始为他能够扮演的
So, I began to craft pieces
某些特别的角色而
for his particular kind of characters
拍摄短片
he could portray.
这些便是《沃坦的苏醒》的开始
And that was the genesis of Woton’s Wakewhere he played everything
从《歌♥剧魅影》到《金刚》都是他扮演的
from a Phantom of the Opera to King Kong.
我看到了莎拉劳伦斯学院
I’d seen a casting notice
一个毕业设计的选角通知
for a graduate project at Sarah Lawrence
然后我就说 “这主意似乎不错”
and I said,”Oh, this looks like a good idea.”
所以我就去了莎拉劳伦斯学院
So, I went up to Sarah Lawrence
参加了一个毕业演出
and I got into a graduate play.
就是在那个时候我认识了威尔福德·利奇
And that’s when I met Wilford Leach,
那时他非常有影响力
who was very influential.
威尔福德·利奇
他就像我的导师一样 同时也是一个出色的导演
And he was like my mentor.He was a brilliant director.
因为这个我开始我的导演生涯
That’s what really started me going,
学习我需要学习的一切
in the sense of learning all the things I had to learn
只为成为一个导演
in order to, you know,be a director.
我的第一部长片就诞生于莎拉·劳伦斯学院
My first feature came out of Sarah Lawrence.
婚礼派对
婚礼派对 (1963)
导演
辛西娅·芒罗 布莱恩·德·帕尔玛 威尔福德·利奇
我们邀请威尔作为督导
We brought Will on to sort of oversee the whole thing.
电影里的很多人
And a lot of the people in it came right out
都来自于莎拉·劳伦斯学院
of the Sarah Lawrence workshop.
罗伯特·德尼罗
吉尔·克雷伯格
鲍比是莎拉·劳伦斯学院的
Bobby was in the Sarah Lawrence workshop.
吉尔也是莎拉·劳伦斯学院的
Jill was in the Sarah Lawrence workshop.
詹妮弗·绍特同样也是莎拉·劳伦斯学院的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!