and built them into different forms
用我自己逐渐形成的风格
in a style that I was evolving.
这就像是他所创造的东西的现代版本
It’s like a whole modern form that he created.
我研究了许多导演
Having studied a lot of directors
如今我自己也活到了70岁
and having lived now to practically being 70,
我发现自己最有创造力的阶段
you see that your creative periods are in…
大部分的导演都是
Most directors are in…
在他们三十多岁
When their 30’s,
四十多岁和五十多岁的时候
their 40’s, and their 50’s.
当然 他们也可以继续拍
They, and obviously, they can go on
再拍二十部 或者十部影片
and make another 20 movies or ten movies.
但是人们津津乐道的仍旧是
But you’ll probably only be talking about those movies
他们在三十 四十 五十多岁时拍摄的电影
they made in their 30’s, their 40’s, and their 50’s.
我一直认为希区柯克是
You know, and I’ve always thought Hitchcock
一个范例
was a great example,
因为在《迷魂记》和《惊魂记》之后
because, you know, after Vertigo and Psycho,
你还可以尽情谈论《群鸟》
and you can talk about The Birds all you want
还有他在此之后拍摄的其他电影
and all the other movies he made after that
当然 电影评论界
and then of course, the critical establishment
后来终于追上了他的脚步
finally caught up with him
开始描述他有多么天才
and started to write about what a genius he was.
只不过这些电影
Except those movies aren’t as good
不如他在三十 四十 五十多岁时拍的
as the ones he made in his 30’s,
那么好了
his 40’s, and his 50’s.
要坚持拍电影你必须要有强健的身体
You got to be a strong, physical person to do it.
毫无疑问 拍电影会让你的身体感到十分疲惫
It physically wears you down. There’s no question about it.
威廉·惠勒说过
I think William Wilder said, you know,
“当你走不动路时 你就得停下来了”
“When you can’t walk anymore, you’ve got to stop.”
而拍电影就是 你所犯的每一个错误
The thing about making movies is every mistake you made
都会留在屏幕上
is up there on the screen.
所有你无法解决的问题
Everything you didn’t solve,
所有你走过的捷径
every shortcut you made,
你的余生都将面对他们
you will look at it the rest of your life.
就像是你所未完成的事情的记录
So, it’s like a record of the things that you didn’t finish basically.
你周围的人
People in your life can be threatened
会因为你对工作高度的专注
by your intense concentration,
和极度的沉迷而惊吓不已
your complete immersion in what you’re doing.
电影才是我的妻子 你不是
My true wife is my movie, not you.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!