你很不错 只要我不是你丈夫
I think you’re swell, so long as I’m not your husband.
给我滚
Get out of here. You bet I’ll get out of here, baby.
我一定会走 尽快离开
I’ll get out of here, but quick.
我跟她当面对质
So I let her have it straight between the eyes.
她骗不了我 至少今次
She didn’t fool me for a minute, not this time.
这是辣手东西
I knew I had hold of a red-hot poker…
要尽快脱手
and the time to drop it was before it burned my hand off.
我停在汽车餐厅
I stopped at a drive-in for a bottle of beer,
喝一杯啤酒
the one I had wanted all along…
想用啤酒
only I wanted it worse now,
抹去冰红茶味道
to get rid of the sour taste of her iced tea…
以及一切感觉…
and everything that went with it.
我不想
I didn’t want to go back to the office
回办公室
so I dropped by a bowling alley…
来到第三街与西街的保龄球场
at Third and Western and rolled a few lines…
打了几局 试图挥去那种感觉
to get my mind thinking about something else for a while.
离开时
I didn’t feel like eating dinner
我毫无胃口可言
when I left, and I didn’t feel like a show.
于是架车回家 泊车后回寓所
So, I drove home, put the car away and went up to my apartment.
外面开始下雨 天色渐黑
It had begun to rain outside and I watched it get dark…
我却没有开灯
and didn’t even turn on the light.
但我的心情毫无起色
That didn’t help me either.
我心如刀割
I was all twisted up inside…
未能放下心事
and I was still holding on to that red-hot poker.
当时我觉得
And right then it came over me
自己根本从没离开
that I hadn’t walked out on anything at all.
我和她之间的关系太强烈
That the hook was too strong…
而且没有结束
that this wasn’t the end between her and me.
那只是一个开端
It was only the beginning.
八时正 门铃响起
So at 8:00 the bell would ring
我不假思索就知道那人是谁
and I’d know who it was without even having to think.
好像这是自然不过的事
As if it was the most natural thing in the world.
嗨 你今天下午忘记拿帽子
Hello. You forgot your hat this afternoon.
是吗 你不想我帮你拿来
Did I? Don’t you want me to bring it in?

Sure.
放在桌上
Put it on the chair.
你怎知道我住在这里 在电♥话♥薄
How’d you know where I live? It’s in the phone book.
外面在下雨 对
It’s raining. Yeah.
脱下外衣坐下吧
Peel off your coat and sit down.
你丈夫出埠
Your husband out?
对 长滩 要建一座新井
Yes. Long Beach. They’re spudding in a new well.
他说会迟些回家 大约9 30
He phoned he’d be late. About 9:30.
你还未欢迎我
It’s about time you said you were glad to see me.
我知道你不会罢休
I knew you wouldn’t leave it like that.
什么 像今天下午
Like what? Like it was this afternoon.
我一定是说了
I must have said something
令你误会的话
that gave you a terribly wrong impression.
你不该这样误会我 华达
You must never think anything like that about me, Walter.
好的 这样不行
Okay. No, it’s not okay.
若你不相信我 你想我怎做
Not if you don’t believe me. What do you want me to do?
我想你对我好一些
I want you to be nice to me.
好像你第一次来我家
Like the first time you came to the house.
这不可能
It can’t be like the first time.
事情发生了 我知道
Something’s happened. I know it has.
事情发生了在我们身上
It’s happened to us.
我觉得他在看我 但是漠不关心
I feel as if he was watching me. Not that he cares. Not anymore.
他将我紧箍得快要窒息
He keeps me on a leash so tight I can’t breathe.
他不是在长滩吗 不用紧张
He’s in Long Beach, isn’t he? Relax.
也许我不该来
Maybe I oughtn’t to have come.
你说得对 你想我走
Maybe you oughtn’t. You want me to go?
若你想走 现在
If you want to. Right now?
当然 现在…
Sure, right now.
我为你疯狂 我也一样 华达
I’m crazy about you, baby. I’m crazy about you, Walter.
你头发的香水是什么牌子
That perfume on your hair. What’s the name of it?
我不知道 在爱珊达买♥♥的
I don’t know. I bought it in Ensenada.
我们应该和葡萄酒
You ought to have some of that pink wine to go with it.
起泡的那种 我只有波本酒
The kind that bubbles. All I got is bourbon.
波本酒没问题 华达
Bourbon is fine, Walter.
拿两个杯子
Get a couple of glasses, will you?
要苏打水吗 白开水就可以
Club soda? Plain water, please.
半年前有人
You know, about six months ago
在浴缸被肥皂滑倒
a guy slipped on a cake of soap in his bathtub…
不省人事被淹死
and knocked himself cold and was drowned.
但他买♥♥了意外保险
Only he had accident insurance.
他们要求验尸 结果她被拘捕
So they had an autopsy and she didn’t get away with it.
谁 他妻子
Who didn’t? His wife.
另一宗个案是一个男子中枪
Then there was a case of a guy who was found shot.
妻子说他在清洁枪管
His wife said he was cleaning a gun
不慎走火
and his stomach got in the way.
她结果只得到3尺乘10尺的闹房♥
All she collected was a three-to-ten stretch in Tehachapi.
也许她觉得值得
Perhaps it was worth it to her.
拿杯子到客厅
See if you can carry that as far as the living room.
这里很雅致 谁替你打扫
It’s nice here, Walter. Who takes care of it for you?
一个黑人妇女每周过来打扫两次
A colored woman comes in a couple of times a week.
你自己煮早餐 间中自己榨葡萄汁
Cook your own breakfast? Squeeze a grapefruit once in a while.
其余的在街角的杂货店购买♥♥ 听起来不错
Get the rest down at the corner drugstore. Sounds wonderful.
只有陌生人
Just strangers beside you.
你不认识他们 也不憎恨他们
You don’t know them and you don’t hate them.
你不用每天早上坐在桌子对面
You don’t have to sit across the table…
向着他和他的女儿
and smile at him and
微笑
that daughter of his every morning of your life.
什么女儿 钢琴上的女孩
What daughter? You mean the little girl on the piano?
露娜 她跟我们同住
Lola. She lives with us.
在他心目中她的地位比我高
He thinks a lot more of her than he does of me.
你想过离婚吗 他不肯离婚
You ever think of a divorce? He wouldn’t give me a divorce.
大概因为涉及太多金钱
I suppose because it’d cost him too much money.
他没有钱 自从做油田生意
He hasn’t got any money. Not since he went into the oil business.
但你嫁给他时他很富有
But he had when you married him?
是的 而我只想要一个家 有何问题
Yes, he had. And I wanted a home. Why not?
但那不是唯一原因 我是他妻子的看护
But that’s not the only reason. I was his wife’s nurse.
她长♥期♥卧病
She was sick a long time.
她死去时 他很绝望
When she died, he was terribly broken up.
我对他由怜生爱 现在却恨他
I pitied him so. And now you hate him.
是 他对我很刻薄
Yes, Walter. He’s so mean to me.
每次我买♥♥东西
Every time I buy a dress or a pair of shoes
他就会斥责我
he yells his head off.
他从不让我离家 要我闭嘴
He never lets me go anywhere. He keeps me shut up.
咄咄逼人
He’s always been mean to me.
连保单受益人也是他女儿露娜
Even his life insurance all goes to that daughter of his.
完全没有你的份儿
That Lola. Nothing for you at all?
不 我对他来说毫无价值
No. And nothing is just what I’m worth to him.
你在黑暗中
So you lie awake in the dark
听他打鼻鼾时心生一计
and listen to him snore and get ideas.
我不想杀他 我从来不想
Walter, I don’t want to kill him. I never did.
就算他喝醉酒掌掴我
Not even when he gets drunk and slaps my face.
但有时你想他死去 或者
Only sometimes you wish he was dead. Perhaps I do.
你希望那是意外
Then you wish it was an accident,
而你手握那份五万元的人寿保险
and you had that policy for $50,000.
那个也是
Is that it? Perhaps that, too.
有一晚从派对架车回家 他又喝醉
The other night we drove home from a party. He was drunk again.
回到车房♥时他坐着不动
When we drove into the garage,
头部栽栽方向盘
he just sat there with his head on the steering wheel…
引擎仍然在动
and the motor still running.
我当时在想 若我不关掉引擎
And I thought what it would be like if I didn’t switch it off…
关掉车房♥门口 让他留在车上
just closed the garage doors and left him there.
我来告诉你
I’ll tell you what it’d be like.
若买♥♥下意外保险
If you had that accident policy
而那人死于一氧化碳
and tried to pull a monoxide job…
我们公♥司♥有个叫祈巴顿的人
We’ve got a guy in our office named Keyes.
对他来说
For him a setup like

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!