不明白为何总是放在上面
I don’t know why they always put what I want on the top shelf.
继续说 我在听
Go ahead. I’m listening.
他从油井掉下 跌断腿打石膏
He had a fall-down at the well. Broke his leg. It’s in a cast.
跌断腿 现在怎办
Broke his leg? What do we do now, Walter?
只有等待 等待什么
Nothing. We just wait. Wait for what?
直至他能再搭火车
Until he can take the train.
我说过一定要搭火车
I told you it’s got to be the train.
我们不能等 我再也受不了
But we can’t wait. I can’t go on like this.
我们不能
Look, we’re not gonna grab a hammer
拿起追子杀人
and do it quick, just to get it over with.
还有其他办法 不可以用其他方法
There are other ways. We’re not gonna do it other ways.
但不可以就此作罢
But we can’t leave it like this.
若他发现
What do you suppose would happen
意外保险怎么办
if he found out about the accident policy?
我明白 但总好过被判死刑
Plenty. But not as bad as sitting in that death house.
别说这种话
Don’t ever talk like that.
我们要冷静
Don’t let’s start losing our heads, that’s all.
我快要失去耐性
It’s not our heads. It’s our nerve we’re losing.
借过
Excuse me.
我们一定要做得正确
We’re gonna do it right. That’s all I said.
最难忍♥受就是等待
It’s the waiting that’s getting me.
我很难过
It’s getting me just as bad, baby.
但是我们一定要等 你说得对
But we’ve got to wait. Maybe we have, Walter, only…
没有你日子很难过 好像我们之间有一道墙壁
it’s so tough without you. It’s like a wall between us.
我要走了 我无时无刻想念你
I better go, baby. I’m thinking of you every minute.
整整一个星期 我都没有找她
After that, a full week went by and I didn’t see her once.
我试图忘记她及整项计划
I tried to keep my mind off her and off the whole idea.
可能命运
I kept telling myself
在幕后操纵
that maybe those Fates they say watch over you…
弄断他的腿 让我抽身而退
had gotten together and broken his leg to give me a way out.
那天是6月15日 你或者记得 巴顿
Then it was the 15th of June. You may remember that date, Keyes.
你在下午三时来我的办公室
You came into my office around 3:00 in the afternoon.
嗨 巴顿
Hello, Keyes.
我刚从卢顿的办公室回来
I just came from Norton’s office.
半年度营业报告公布了
The semiannual sales records are out.
你是最佳销♥售♥员
You’re high man, Walter.
连续第二次 恭喜
That’s twice in a row. Congratulations.
谢谢 想喝一杯吗
Thanks. How would you like a cheap drink?
你有兴趣减薪五十元吗
How would you like a $50 cut in salary?
我应该现在就笑吗 我说真的
Do I laugh now or wait till it gets funny? No, I’m serious.
我刚跟卢敦谈过
I’ve just been talking to Norton.
我的文件堆积如山
Too much stuff piling up on my desk.
压力太大
Too much pressure on my nerves.
整晚无法入睡
I spend half the night walking up and down in my bed.
需要一位助手 我即时想到你
I’ve got to have an assistant and I thought of you.
我 为什么找我
Me? Why pick on me?
因为我觉得你会很称职
Well, because I’ve got a crazy idea you might be good at the job.
太荒谬了 我是销♥售♥员
That’s crazy, all right. I’m a salesman.
对 你长袖善舞 能文能武
Yeah. A peddler, a gladhander, a backslapper.
做销♥售♥员实在太浪费
You’re too good to be a salesman.
人人都配得上做销♥售♥员
Nobody’s too good to be a salesman. Phooey!
你们只是按门钟
All you guys do is just ring doorbells
说一番无聊话
and dish out a smooth line of monkey talk.
你最不满意是减薪五十元吧
What’s troubling you is that $50 cut, isn’t it?
人人都会觉得不满意
Well, that’d trouble anybody. Now look, Walter.
听着 这工作需要头脑与正义感
The job I’m talking about takes brains and integrity.
所需得胆量超过五十元得价值
It takes more guts than there is in 50 salesmen.
在保险业中最炙手可热得职位
It’s the hottest job in the business.
对 但那是办公室工作
Yeah, but it’s still a desk job.
我不想锁在办公室 办公室工作
I don’t want to be nailed to a desk. Desk job?
这是你的想法
Is that all you can see in it?
朝九晚五 文风不动
Just a hard chair to park your pants on from 9:00 to 5:00, huh?
大堆文件
Just a pile of papers to shuffle around,
飞来飘去
and five sharp pencils…
五支铅笔和便条纸
and a scratch pad to make figures on,
心不在焉地乱涂
maybe a little doodling on the side.
我可不是这样认为
Well, that’s not the way I look at it, Walter.
对我来说 索偿专员是外科医生
To me, a claims man is a surgeon,
办公桌是手术台
that desk is an operating table…
铅笔是手术刀及骨盘
and those pencils are scalpels and bone chisels.
纸张不只是
And those papers are not just
索偿表格及数据
forms and statistics and claims for compensation.
他们是活生生 充满戏剧感
They’re alive. They’re packed with drama…
包含峰回路转地希望与梦想
with twisted hopes and crooked dreams.
索偿专员是医生 侦探…
A claims man, Walter, is a doctor and a bloodhound and a…
谁 好 等一下
Who? Okay, hold on a minute.
索偿医生是医生
A claims man is a doctor
侦探 警♥察♥及法官
and a bloodhound and a cop and a judge and a jury…
陪审团 告解神父 集于一身
and a father confessor, all in one.
你居然说没有兴趣
And you want to tell me you’re not interested?
你不想用脑袋工作
You don’t want to work with your brains?
你只想用手指按门钟
All you want to work is with your finger on the doorbell…
每星期多赚几块 有女人找你
for a few bucks more a week. There’s a dame on your phone.
我是黎华达 我要打给你
Walter Neff speaking. I had to call you, Walter.
事关紧急 有人在旁边吗
It’s very urgent. Are you with somebody?
是 我可以再回电 玛琪
Yes, I am. Can’t I call you back, Margie?
不可以 很快就说完
No, you can’t. I’ve only got a minute. It can’t wait.
他今晚要出发 坐火车 你在听吗
Listen. He’s going tonight. On the train. Are you listening?
华达 我在听 玛琪
Walter? Yeah. I’m listening, Margie.
有话快说 他要那拐杖
Only, make it snappy, will you? He’s on crutches.
医生说
The doctor says
若他小心就可以出发
he can go if he’s careful. The change will do him good.
实在太好了 如你所愿 他会坐火车
It’s wonderful, Walter. Just the way you wanted it, on a train.
他拿着拐杖不是更好吗
Only with the crutches it makes it much better, doesn’t it?
对 非常好
Yeah. Yeah, that’s 100% better.
稍等一下
Hold the line a minute, will you?
巴顿 我去办公室找你
Keyes, suppose I join you in your office?
没关系 我等你
That’s all right. I’ll wait.
叫她不要说一整天
Only tell her not to take all day.
继续说
Go ahead.
是格兰岱的10时15分火车 我开车送他
It’s the 10:15 from Glendale. I’m driving him.
仍然是那条黑暗的街道
It’s still the same dark street, isn’t it?
讯号♥是三下响号♥ 好 还有别的
And the signal is three honks on the horn. Okay. Anything else?
没有
No.
哦…
Oh, uh…
你挑选了什么颜色
what color did you pick?
蓝色 海军蓝色 左边打石膏
Blue. Navy blue. And the cast is on his left leg.

Mmm-hmm.
好 没问题
Yeah, that suits me fine.
对了 华达 我在打冷战
This is it, Walter. I’m shaking like a leaf.
但我们会彻头彻尾
But it’s straight down the line for both of us.
我爱你 华达 再见
I love you, Walter. Goodbye.
对不起 巴顿
Sorry, Keyes. What’s the matter?
又有女孩追求你 可能这与我无关
Dames chasing you again? Or still? Or is it none of my business?
若我说那是客人…
If I told you it was a customer…
玛琪 她大概用酒瓶子喝酒
Margie. I bet she drinks from the bottle.
你为什么还不成家立正室
Why don’t you settle down and get married, Walter?
你又为什么呢 我几乎结婚 很多年前的事
Why don’t you, for instance? I almost did, once. Long time ago.
巴顿 我要打电♥话♥给客人
Now look, Keyes, I’ve got to call on a prospect.
连教堂也挑选了
Even had the church picked out, the dame and I.
她有一件荷边装饰的缎裙
She had a white satin dress with flounces on it.
我正走去珠宝店买♥♥戒指
I was on my way to the jewelry store to buy the ring.
突然有个不祥预兆
And then suddenly that little man in here started working on me.
于是折返找她
So you went back and had her investigated?
对 事情终于水落石出
Yeah. And the stuff that came out…
她自从16岁就开始染发
She’d been dyeing her hair ever since she was 16.
她有家族遗传的兴奋忧郁症 是母系遗传病
There was a manic depressive in her family, on her mother’s side.
她已经有丈夫
She already had one husband.
他是巴尔的摩职业桌球手…
He was a professional pool player in Baltimore.
我大致明白
And as for her brother… I get the general idea.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!