I shall speak to Mr. E.
帮我们取信的人
The man who fetches our letters–
其中一位仆人 我忘记叫什么名字了
one of our men, I forget his name–
也可以帮你取信
shall inquire for yours, too.
你觉得奈特利先生可以
Do you suppose Mr. Knightley might extend us all
邀请我们大家去庄园吗 伍德豪斯小姐
an invitation to the abbey, Miss Woodhouse?
我很喜欢参观宏伟的庄园
I love to explore great houses,
但我怕给海布里带来太多麻烦
and I fear I have long exhausted Highbury.
恐怕奈特利先生关心的
I’m afraid Mr. Knightley’s concerns
都是他的佃户
are all for his tenants
而不是他的庄园 埃尔顿夫人
and none for his house, Mrs. Elton.
他的舞会厅和画廊基本都封闭了
His ballrooms and picture galleries are quite shut up.
我很乐意开放唐维尔庄园
I should be very glad to open Donwell
给你参观 埃尔顿夫人
for your exploration, Mrs. Elton.
我早就该邀请你了
The welcome is long overdue.
我真是太高兴了
I should like that of all things.
你定日子 我会去的
Name your day, and I will come.
我还没和委托
I cannot name a day until I have spoken
筹办宴会的人谈过 无法定下日子
to some others whom I would wish to form the party.
交给我吧 这是我的宴会
Leave that to me. It is my party.
我会替你邀请客人的
I will invite your guests.
我希望你带上埃尔顿
I hope you will bring Elton,
但就不麻烦你邀请其他人了
but I will not trouble you to give any other invitations.
你现在可就太狡猾了
Well, now you are looking very sly.
但是考虑一下 不必担心
But consider, you need not be afraid
把大权委托给我
of delegating power to me.
你可以放心交给已婚女士来办
Married women, you know, may be safely authorized.
我只允许世界上一位已婚妇女
There is but one married woman in all the world
按她的意愿
whom I can ever allow
邀请客人到唐维尔庄园来
to invite what guests she pleases to Donwell.
我猜是韦斯顿夫人
Mrs. Weston, I suppose?
不 是奈特利夫人
No. Mrs. Knightley.
在她出现之前 这种事还是我自己来吧
Until she is in being, I will manage such matters myself.

我的天啊
My heavens.
你不觉得飘飘欲仙吗
Do you not feel transported?
我简直不敢相信我们还在英国
I can hardly believe that we remain in England.
我本该陪伴他
And I was to accompany him,
但是他出发前一晚 我发烧病倒了
but the night before his going, I was struck down by a fever,
所以我没去
and so I did not go.
失陪了
Please excuse me.
请便
Of course.
南面的窗外
There is an excellent prospect
景色非常好 史密斯小姐
from the south window, Miss Smith.
我可以陪你去吗
May I escort you?
简的见识当然
Jane of course knows a great deal
远胜于我
more of the world than I.
她去过爱尔兰
She has been to Ireland.
能不能请你
Will you…
在我走后告诉他们
be so kind when I am missed
说我回家了
to say that I am gone home?
如果你希望的话
If you wish it.
但是你不能一个人走回海布里啊
But you’re not going to walk back to Highbury alone.
-你不舒服吗 -伍德豪斯小姐
– Are you unwell? – Miss Woodhouse…
我们都知道有时人会精神疲惫
We all know at times what it is to be wearied in spirits.
我承认 我已疲惫不堪
Mine, I confess, are exhausted.
我错过派对了吗
Have I missed the party?
才没有
Not at all.
我们正在参观这房♥子
We’re exploring the house.
我被舅妈耽搁了
I was detained by my aunt.
她神经痉挛了好几个小时
A nervous seizure which lasted some hours.
要是早知道旅途会这么热
Had I known how hot a ride I should have,
我想我根本就不会来
I believe I should not have come at all.
如果你坐下来 很快就会凉快些
You will soon be cooler if you sit down.
或者喝点冰啤酒
Some cold beer, perhaps.
等我舅妈身体一恢复 我就出国去
As soon as my aunt gets well again, I shall go abroad.
我厌倦了无所事事
I’m tired of doing nothing.
我想要改变
I want a change.
我是认真的 伍德豪斯小姐
I’m serious, Miss Woodhouse,
不管你敏锐的眼睛怎么想
whatever your penetrating eyes may fancy.
我厌倦了英格兰
I’m sick of England.
你厌倦的是富足和放纵
You are sick of prosperity and indulgence.
难道你不能为自己制♥造♥一些困难
Cannot you invent a few hardships for yourself
然后满足于留下来吗
and be contented to stay?
你完全错了 我认为自己
You are quite mistaken. I do not look upon myself
既不富裕 也不放纵
as either prosperous or indulged.
我们明天要去博克斯山
We’re going to Box Hill tomorrow.
这不是一次盛大的旅行 但它对于
It is not the grand tour, but it will be something
迫切想要改变的年轻人来说 会有意义的
for a young man so much in want of change.
如果你希望我留下来参加
Well, if you wish me to stay and join the party,
我就不走了
I will.
非常感谢你告诉我今天要来
How much I am obliged to you for telling me to come today.
我本来下定决心离开
I had quite determined to go away again.
是啊 你如此反复无常
Yes, you were very cross.
我们的同伴太愚蠢了
Our companions are excessively stupid.
我们应该做点什么来唤醒他们
What shall we do to rouse them?
做什么傻事都行
Any nonsense will serve.
女士们 先生们
Ladies and gentlemen,
伍德豪斯小姐要我告诉大家
I am ordered by Miss Woodhouse to say that
她想知道你们大家都在想什么
she desires to know what you’re all thinking of.
天呐 我们在想什么
Dear. What we are thinking of?
伍德豪斯小姐确定她想知道
Is Miss Woodhouse sure that she would like to know
我们大家在想什么吗
what we are all thinking of?
不 不 子虚乌有的事
No, no. Upon no account in the world.
这是我现在
It is the very last thing
最不想知道的事
I would stand the brunt of just now.
作为派对的负责人
It is the sort of thing which I should not
我认为我没有权利
have thought myself privileged to inquire into, as…
打探这种事
chaperon of the party.
非常对 亲爱的
Very true, my love.
非常对
Very true.
但有些女士什么都会说
But some ladies will say anything.
最好把它当作一个笑话
Best to pass it off as a joke.
每个人都知道你的职责是什么
Everybody knows what is due to you.
他们大多数人都被冒犯了
They are most of them affronted.
我多发表点言论来激一激他们
I will attack them with more address.
女士们 先生们
Ladies and gentlemen,
伍德豪斯小姐要我告诉大家
I am ordered by Miss Woodhouse
她放弃了
to say that she waives her right
她不想知道你们在想什么
of knowing what you may be thinking of
只要求你们每个人讲点有趣的事
and only requires something entertaining from each of you.
讲一件事的话 得是非常有意思的
She demands either one thing very clever
两件事的话 要比较有意思
or two things moderately clever
或者三件非常无聊的事
or three things very dull indeed.
她会笑得很开心的
And she engages to laugh heartily at them all.
那非常好
V-Very well, then.
我不需要感到不安了
I need not be uneasy.
“三件非常无聊的事”
“Three things very dull indeed.”
这个适合我
That will do just for me.
我一张嘴
I shall be sure to say three dull things
肯定能说出三件无聊的事
as soon as I open my mouth.
夫人 问题就在这里
Ma’am, but there is the difficulty.
你什么时候只说三件事就住嘴过
When have you ever stopped at three?
不 我明白她的意思
No. I see what she-she means.
我会尽量保持沉默
I shall try to hold my tongue.
我喜欢这个游戏
I-I like this plan.
同意 同意 同意
Agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed.
我得尽最大的努力
I shall do my best.
我要说谜语
I’m making a conundrum.
谜语怎么样
How will a conundrum reckon?
恐怕不怎么样 先生
Low, I am afraid, sir,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!