是罗伯特·马丁
It is Robert Martin.
乖孩子
Good boy.
-史密斯小姐 -马丁先生
– Miss Smith. – Mr. Martin.
-幸会 史密斯小姐 -再见
– Lovely to see you, Miss Smith. – Goodbye.
想想我们碰巧就遇到了他
Only think of our happening to meet him.
伍德豪斯小姐
Well, Miss Woodhouse?
他符合你的期望吗
Is he like what you expected?
你觉得他怎么样
What do you think of him?
我没理由去期望太多
I had no right to expect much,
事实上 我也没期望太多 但是
and indeed, I did not expect much, but
我承认 我猜测过
I had imagined him, I confess,
他多少应该有点
a degree or two nearer…
绅士风度
gentility.
当然
To be sure…
他并没有正统绅士般的文雅
he’s not so genteel as to a real gentleman.
我真心希望伍德豪斯先生身体无恙
I do hope Mr. Woodhouse is not ill.

Oh, no.
爸爸每天都会见佩里先生
Oh, Papa sees Mr. Perry every day.
我知道我令他大失所望
I know I disappoint him awfully.
我几乎没出现过身体不适
I’m so seldom indisposed.
他要是不给我捏造一种病
If he does not invent an illness for me,
我都不会出现在他的信里
I hardly figure in his letters.
确实
Truly…
你就是身体健康的写照 伍德豪斯小姐
you are the very picture of good health, Miss Woodhouse.
马丁夫人认为你是整个海布里
Mrs. Martin thinks you the most handsome woman
最俊俏的女士
in all of Highbury.
哈丽特 你可千万别在奈特利先生面前奉承我
You must never flatter me in front of Mr. Knightley, Harriet.
他觉得我已经够虚荣了
He thinks me vain enough already.
我个人并不觉得你虚荣
I do not think you personally vain.
想到你是多么地俊俏
Considering how very handsome you are,
你好像都有些不能自拔了
you seem little occupied with it.
你的虚荣比较另类
Your vanity lies a different way.
我有没跟你讲埃尔顿先生几天前是怎么说你的
Did I tell you what Mr. Elton said of you the other day?
他把你称作
He called you…
“美的化身”
“loveliness itself.”
我觉得他的举止和以往相比
It-it seems to me his manners
变得温和多了
are rather softer than they used to be,
我颇为好奇他
and I rather wonder whether he means
是不是在讨好你
to ingratiate himself with you.
早上好 戈达德夫人
Morning, Mrs. Goddard.
-早上好 埃尔顿先生 -姑娘们
– Good morning, Mr. Elton. – Girls.
快点
Quickly now.
这些作品非常精美 伍德豪斯小姐
These are exquisitely done, Miss Woodhouse.
你真是才华横溢啊
You have a charming talent.
我敢说确实有可取之处
I dare say there is merit in them,
或许完成度最低的最值得称赞
in the least finished perhaps the most.
所以奈特利先生告诉我
So Mr. Knightley tells me,
凡是我做事他都会挑毛病
he finds fault in everything I do.
哈丽特 有人给你画过像吗
Did you ever have your likeness taken, Harriet?
没有
No.
拥有一张她的画像该是多么精美的珍藏啊
What an exquisite possession a good picture of her would be.
确实如此
It would indeed.
确实如此
It would indeed.
那就劳烦你了 伍德豪斯小姐
Let me entreat you, Miss Woodhouse.
现在就画
Now, at once.
你画的史密斯小姐
You have given Miss Smith…
真是出神入化
all that she requires.
她在你面前已是美丽无比
She was a beautiful creature when she came to you,
但是为了你为她增添的魅力
but the attractions you have added are
远胜于自然予她的…馈赠
infinitely superior to what she received from… nature.
-非得我来处理让我很烦闷 -不
– It’s depressing for me to have to take care of it, you know? – No.
-是啊 -接手
– Well, quite. – Take over.
伍德豪斯先生 你女儿的天赋真是无与伦比
Mr. Woodhouse, your daughter’s gifts are without compare.
眼见为实
Bear witness.
你把她画的太高了 艾玛
You’ve made her too tall, Emma.
没有
No.
不 肯定不会太高
No, certainly not too tall.
一点都不高
Not in the least too tall.
嗯…确实很漂亮
Yes. It is very… pretty.
等画好了你得把它裱起来
When it is finished, you must have it framed.
请让我来
Allow me.
这事就放心地交给我吧 伍德豪斯小姐
Trust me with this commission, Miss Woodhouse,
到时候叫我 我立刻骑马去伦敦
and I will ride to London the moment I am asked.
我将不胜荣幸
It would be my great honor.
我一刻都没怀疑
I cannot have a moment’s doubt.
一切都正如我的安排
It is exactly as I planned.
他爱上你了
He’s in love with you.
我不知道你会有什么想法
I do not know what your opinion may be,
韦斯顿夫人 依我看来
Mrs. Weston, of this great…
爱玛和哈丽特·史密斯两人如此亲密
intimacy between Emma and Harriet Smith,
恐怕是件坏事
but I think it a bad thing.
我俩对此看法相左
How differently we feel.
史密斯小姐对自己一无所知
Miss Smith knows nothing about herself
认为艾玛无所不知
and looks upon Emma as knowing everything.
她的无知总是带来奉承
Her ignorance is hourly flattery.
教育哈丽特将会促使
But educating Harriet will be an inducement
爱玛教育她自己
for Emma to educate herself.
她们会一起读书
They will read together.
从十二岁开始
Emma has been meaning to read more
爱玛就想着要多读些书
ever since she was 12 years old.
她从不屈从于
She never would submit to anything
任何需要勤奋和耐心的事情
requiring industry and patience.
我不能让你
I cannot allow you to be
来左右这件事情 奈特利先生
a judge in this matter, Mr. Knightley.
你习惯了独居
You are so used to live alone,
你不了解有个伴的好处
you do not know the value of a companion.
她总是声称她永远不会结婚
Well, she always declares that she will never marry,
当然 这一点意义都没有
which, of course, means just nothing at all.
我希望看到爱玛坠入爱河
I should like to see Emma in love
虽然不一定能结成正果
and in some doubt of a return.
但对她有好处
It would do her good.
♪ 根基稳固 ♪
♪ How firm a foundation ♪
How firm a foundation
♪ 主的门徒 ♪
♪ Ye saints of the Lord… ♪
罗伯特
Robert!
奈特利老爷来了
Master Knightley is here.
♪ 福音垂教训 ♪
♪ Your faith in his excellent word ♪
别浪费时间 马丁先生 来吧
The day is wasting, Mr. Martin. Come along.
♪ 主对你所言 有何可加增 ♪
♪ What more can he say than to you he hath said ♪
♪ 你投入主怀 ♪
♪ You who unto Jesus ♪
♪ 求主作庇荫 ♪
♪ For refuge have fled. ♪
不胜感激
I’m really most obliged to you, sir.
我本以为会等到春天
I’d expected to wait until the spring.
马丁先生 只要有机会 就要淡季买♥♥入
Always buy out of season, Mr. Martin, whenever you can.
奈特利先生 请允许我冒昧地
Mr. Knightley, sir, forgive my liberty,
大胆寻求您的高见
but may I be so bold as to seek your advice?
但说无妨
Of course.
伍德豪斯小姐
Miss Woodhouse!
你绝对猜不到发生了什么事
You will never guess what has happened.
罗伯特·马丁向我求婚了
Robert Martin has offered me his hand.
他在信中似乎对我满是爱意
He writes as if he really loves me very much.
信写的好不好
Is it a good letter?
还是写的太短
Or too short?
信写的非常好
It is a very good letter.
好到我都觉得肯定是他的姐妹帮他写的
So good I think one of his sisters must have helped him.
但我该如何回复
But what shall I say?
亲爱的伍德豪斯小姐 一定要帮我出主意啊
Dear Miss Woodhouse, do advise me.
不 不 不
Oh, no, no, no.
必须得是你自己的回复
The words must be your own.
你觉得我应该拒绝他
You think I ought to refuse him.
哈丽特 我把这个作为一般性法则

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!