乔治来找我 他说:”星战6的片名…
George came to me, and he said, ”The title of Episode…

VI…
“绝地归来”
is Return of the Jedi. ”
我觉得这标题有点弱
And I said, ”I think it’s a weak title.”
一两天后他回来了 他说…
And he came back one or two days later, and he says…
我们叫它”绝地复仇”
”We’re calling it Revenge of the Jedi.”
选择电影的名字只是一个开始
Choosing the film’s title was just the beginning.
“绝地归来”需要成千上万的决策…
Jedi would require thousands of production decisions…
在地球的两端
on both sides of the globe.
实际上 我们在加州的两个地方建造…
We were constructing, really, in two places in California…
在工业光魔拍摄星战第三部
shooting at ILM–that’s three–
同时在伦敦工作和拍摄
and of course working and shooting in London at the same time.
卢卡斯发现 独♥立♥是一把双刃剑
As Lucas discovered, independence was a double-edged sword.
退出导演协会…
Quitting the Directors Guild…
让他无法雇佣自己的首选导演
made it impossible for him to hire his first choice…
史蒂芬•斯皮尔伯格
Steven Spielberg.
卢卡斯选择了威尔士人理查德•马昆德…
Instead Lucas chose Welshman Richard Marquand…
最著名的是二战惊悚片”刀锋冷”
best known for the World War II thriller, Eye of the Needle.
两人与劳伦斯•卡斯丹会面讨论绝地归来的剧本时…
As the two met with Lawrence Kasdan to discuss Jedi’s script…
一个关键问题是哈里森•福特…
a key issue was whether Harrison Ford…
现在因出演印第安纳•琼斯一角出名
who was now equally famous for the role of Indiana Jones…
是否会以汉•索罗的身份回归
would return as Han Solo.
“星战”之后的其他演员已经签约再拍…
The other actors after Star Wars had signed on to do two more…
因为我想把整件事做完
’cause I wanted to finish the whole thing.
哈里森觉得可以在剧本里把角色写死
Harrison did not. He had the idea, ”Why don’t you kill him off?.”
我认为汉•索罗应该死
I thought Han Solo should die.
我认为他应该为另外两个角色牺牲自己
I thought he ought to sacrifice himself for the other two characters.
我也觉得必须有人牺牲
I also felt someone had to go.
战争总得有人死
I felt someone had to die.
我说:”他没有妈妈 没有爸爸 没有未来…
I said, ”He’s got no mama, he’s got no papa, he’s got no future…
他没必要在故事中继续下去
he has no story responsibilities at this point…
所以让我们允许他做出自我牺牲”
so let’s allow him to commit self-sacrifice. ”
我觉得应该在电影的一开始就发生…
And I thought it should happen very early in the last act…
这样你就会开始担心每个人的命运
so that you would begin to worry about everybody.
我们应该牺牲一些人
We should sacrifice somebody.
乔治反对…
And George was against it…
乔治知道他想要什么 他也如愿以偿
and George knew what he wanted, and he got what he wanted.
嘿 是我
Hey, it’s me.
制♥作♥一开始 卢卡斯就决定…
Once production began, Lucas was determined…
不要让预算像”帝国反击战”那样激增
not to let the budget escalate as it had on Empire.
祝你好运 你会需要的
Good luck. You’re gonna need it.
这并不容易 因为世界上其他国家都认为钱不是问题
It wasn’t easy, given that the rest of the world assumed money was no object.
当你想协商拍摄道具价格的时候…
Anytime you would try and negotiate for production facilities…
人们说 “这要花两美元” 而通常是一美元
people said, ”That’ll cost two dollars,” when it normally cost a dollar.
我建议把电影的名字改一下
I suggested we change the name of the picture.
叫阴冷猎手 副标题是”超乎想象的恐怖”
It was called Blue Harvest, and the sub line was ”Horror Beyond Imagination.”
副摄影
B camera.
这是为了创造一种假象 让别人…
The idea behind it was to come up with a title that would…
对你正在做的事情完全不感兴趣
instill absolutely no interest whatsoever in what you were doing.
就像”阴冷猎手是什么?” “谁在乎?”
It was like, ”What is Blue Harvest?” ”Who cares?”
一直到汉 卢克和莱娅来上班…
It worked until Han and Luke and Leia showed up to come to work…
每个人都说 我想这真的不是”超越想象的恐怖”
and everybody went, ”I guess this really isn’t ‘Horror Beyond Imagination. ‘
我想这真的是下一部星球大战电影
I guess this is really the next Star Wars movie.”
“绝地复仇”将再次让”星战”的演员和工作人员重聚…
Revenge of the Jedi would again reunite the Star Wars cast and crew…
在历经六年和两部破纪录的电影后…
who after six years and two record-breaking motion pictures…
形成了一种持久的纽带关系
had formed a lasting bond.
在这三部电影中 我们大部分都是同一个剧组…
We were the same crew for all three films, for the most part…
所以 你知道 这是一个家庭
so it was, you know, a family.
我独自走着排练着…
I’m walking along by myself rehearsing…
会这样…
going something like…
兰多•卡瑞辛再也没从这个鬼地方回来等等
”Lando Calrissian never returned from this awful place” and so on and so on.
兰多和可怜的楚巴卡再也能从这可怕的地方回来
Lando Calrissian and poor Chewbacca never returned from this awful place.
突然我听到
Suddenly I hear–
我转过身…
and I turn around…
乔治现在正蹲在我后面 一瘸一拐地走着 说
and George is now crouched behind me, waddling along on his haunches, going–
那是一个快乐的时刻
It was a joyous moment.
像它的前身…
Like its predecessor
在”星战”系列中 “绝地归来”继续扩大角色阵容
Jedi continued to expand the cast of characters in the Star Wars saga.
那是什么声音?
What’s that?
其中最大的一个是星际黑帮
One of the biggest was intergalactic gangster–
我听过这个笑声
I know that laugh.
赫特人贾巴
Jabba the Hutt.
乔治说 我需要一些奇异的元素加入 就像…
George said, ”I need something that’s alien and grotesque that’s like…
西德尼•格林斯垂特
Sydney Greenstreet. ”
我说:”哦 好吧”
I went, ”Oh, okay. ”
当我想到这个大鼻涕虫一样的东西的时候…
When I had kind of gotten this idea down to this big slug-like thing…
仅是一大块会跳动的肉
that is just this big pulsating mass of flesh.
有一次 我给西德尼•格林斯特里特戴了一顶毡帽
At one point, I had a fez on one of the characters, like Sidney Greenstreet.
斯图尔特•弗里伯恩在英格兰的工作就是实现构想
And then Stuart Freeborn in England’s job was to fabricate the thing.
每只手都由一个木偶师来操作
And that was operated with one puppeteer for each arm–
两个木偶师做手臂 另一个人做头部…
two puppeteers for the arms, another guy doing the head…
另一个无线电控制的人做眼睛
another radio control guy doing the eyes.
车里有几个人在拉绳 让它的尾巴动起来
There was a couple oflittle people in it pulling things to make the tail move.
这是一件了不起的事
It was quite a thing.
我让小矮人坐在里面
I had my little dwarf sittin’inside.
我在车尾给他做了个小座位…
I had a little seat made for him in the tail here…
他操作了这一切
and he operated it all.
他在那里坐了好几天操纵这个
And he was sitting there for quite a few days doing this.
熟练成功后
And if he operated the first one…
不管他怎么弄 尾巴要么向上 要么走旁边…
whichever way he pulled it, it would either lift it upwards or sideways…
他都可以朝任何方向移♥动♥
so as he could make that move in any direction.
开拍
And action.
终于! 卢克主人来救我了
At last! Master Luke’s come to rescue me.
我必须要和你谈谈
I must be allowed to speak.
你会把索罗船长和楚巴卡带来给我
You will bring Captain Solo and the Wookiee to me.
卢克主人 你正站在…
Master Luke, you’re standing on–
贾巴把卢克脚下的地毯拉出来 他掉进了坑里…
Jabba has to pull the rug out from under Luke and he falls into the pit…
这里有个巨大的深坑怪物
and there’s this big rancor pit monster.
乔治坚持要制♥作♥怪物制♥服♥道具 来演员操控
George was really adamant that we were going to do it as a man in a suit.
就像一个很酷的哥斯拉
It was gonna be like a really cool Godzilla.
托尼•麦克维 原型师 塑造了这个巨型怪物…
Tony McVey, one of the sculptors, fabricated this big rancor suit…
根据我的设计
based on my design.
他设计了这个东西 我称之为熊和土豆的杂交物
He designed this thing I call kind of a cross between a bear and a potato.
一个愚蠢的大怪物
It was just this big dumb thing.
但不管我们怎么做 它看起来效果都不好
But it never looked that great, no matter what we did.
所以乔治说 “让我们换种方式”
So at some point, George said, ”Let’s do it some other way. ”
所以丹尼斯想 好吧 不如试着做一个高速木偶
And so Dennis thought, well, let’s try and do it as a high-speed puppet.
我们设计骷髅是为了泄愤
We designed the skeleton for rancor.
汤姆 戴夫和我♥操♥纵了这怪物
Tom St. Amand and Dave Sosalla and I puppeteered the thing.
这工作很疯狂…
It was a crazy way of working…
因为这怪物必须走入深坑 然后转身咆哮…
because this thing has to walk into a room and turn around and roar…
这就像一个四秒的镜头 而你在以每秒90帧的速度拍摄
and it’s like a four-second shot and you’re shooting at 90 frames a second.
只有一秒钟的镜头
You’ve got a second to shoot it.
工业光魔的生物可能只是傀儡…
ILM’s creatures might have been puppets…
但它们仍然可以引起人类演员的情感反应
but they could still elicit an emotional reaction from their human costars.
甚至其中一个演员恐慌症发作
One even triggered a panic attack.
我有过幽闭恐惧症 我都没穿整套制♥服♥
I’d got claustrophobia once. I didn’t even have the whole suit on.
我躺在地板上 摄像机离我只有那么远
I was lying on the floor, the camera’s about that far away from me.
可口面包屑 美味的面包屑
Salacious Crumb–the wonderful Salacious Crumb–
被蒂姆•罗斯控制的玩偶…
animated by Tim Rose…
要挖出我的眼睛
is pulling out my eye.
场景34 第2次
34-A, take two.
开拍
Action.
我脑子很乱 害得我喘不过气来
And something went in my mind. I didn’t catch a breath or something.
突然间 我感到前所未有的恐慌
And I suddenly could feel panic just absorbing into my body.
别咬我的眼睛! R2 救命!
Not my eyes! R2, help!
我在想 “把我弄出去! 让我出去!”
And I was thinking, ”Get me out! Get me out!”
我不停地重复 直到他们把我的头盔打飞
And I just kept repeating it, until they managed to whiz the head off.

And cut.
丹尼尔斯操纵3PO失去了理智…
Daniels may have lost his head as 3PO…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!