Find yourself a bunk!
Go on down the line!
艾伦
Allen!
邦巴
Bomber.
你怎么又到这个鬼地方来呀 伙计?
How did you get to this little bit of heaven?
说来话长
It’s a long story.
坐下 舒坦舒坦
Sit down. Make yourself at home…
尽量吧
If you can.
你知道带镣苦役队里的日子是不好过的
If you think those other chain gangs are tough, get a load of this joint.
这帮人是带镣苦役队都对付不了的家伙
These guys were too tough for the chain gangs.
现在告诉我们吧…他们是怎样把你抓回来的呢?
Give us the story. How did they snatch you?
他们没抓…是我自己回来的
They didn’t. I came back.
他感到寂寞
He just got lonesome.
他们答应 要是我回来九十天 就可以得到赦免
They promised me a pardon if I’d come back for 90 days.
什么叫”赦免”?
What’s a pardon?
这儿的人从来没有听说过这个词儿
These boys ain’t heard that word.
连监狱委员会也没有…
Neither has the prison commission.
为什么把你关押在这儿呢?邦巴
What did you do to get sent up here, bomber?
我决定逃跑 因此我用铁锤砸一个看守…
Hung it on the limb. I socked a guard with a sledge.
我砸那家伙的脑袋
I aimed at the rat’s head…
可是没打中…
But I missed.
我难以想象有谁会由于他们答应在九十天后赦免便自行回来的
I can’t figure a guy walking back into this because they promised to spring him in 90 days.
我猜想他们只是想整整我
They want to make it tough on me, I guess,
但我将会得到赦免的 没有关系…
but I’ll get the pardon, all right.
听我说 孩子 既然把你关在这儿 他们就不打算赦免
Listen, kid, they ain’t thinking of handing out pardons when you land in here.
这话错不了
This is the last word.
你尽可以说就是这么回事
You might say it’s it!
好啦 干活吧
Get to work down there!
Raise them high
Day after day
Raise them high
Day after day
Raise them high
Day after day
Working all the livelong day
Working all the livelong day
詹姆斯·艾伦案件 拉姆齐先生来了吗?
The case of James Allen. Is Mr. Ramsey present?
准备好了 阁下
Ready, your honor.
请讲得扼要些 今天下午我们有一大堆案子
Please be brief. We have many cases this afternoon.
我首先介绍犯人的哥哥 罗伯特·艾伦牧师
I should first like to introduce the convict’s brother, the reverend Robert Allen.
法官阁下
Your honor.
我把此案的法律技术问题留请拉姆齐先生处理
I shall leave the legal technicalities of the case to Mr. Ramsey
我要叙述一下作为一个人的詹姆斯·艾伦的经历
and shall present the story of James Allen as a human being,
他是一个本质善良 品格正直的人
a man of essential fineness and integrity of character,
一个在世界大战中英勇作战得过勋章的人
a man who was decorated for bravery in the world war,
一个只是由于受到手♥枪♥的威胁而犯罪的人
a man who committed a crime but only when forced to at the point of a gun,
这是他初次也是唯一的一次犯法
his first and only offense,
这个人从一无所有的境地挣脱出来
a man who showed his true character
成为一个杰出的 受尊敬的公民 证实了他的真实秉性
by rising from less than nothing to become a prominent and honored citizen.
Working all the livelong day
Working all the livelong day
Working all the livelong day
最后 我不用提醒诸位
And in conclusion, I need not remind you
詹姆斯·艾伦已经遵守他的协议
that James Allen has kept his part of the bargain.
他自愿回到这个州
He has returned voluntarily to this state
并缴清为他支出的钱
and has paid all the expenses demanded of him.
根据全部证据和以正义的名义
I cannot believe, in the light of all this evidence
我不能相信你们竟不考虑任何其他变通的办法
and in the name of justice, that you will bring yourselves even to consider any other alternative.
首先 我认为有责任
First, I feel it is my duty
回答下午所听取的
to answer the malicious and unwarranted attack
有关对带镣苦役制度的毫无证据的恶毒攻击
upon the chain gang system which we have heard here this afternoon.
罪行必须得到惩处
Crime must be punished,
犯罪的人是无情无义的 必须对他们严加惩罚
and men who commit crime are hard men, and their punishments must be hard,
他们所听到的所谓非人道行为是被严重地夸张了
but the brutality of which we hear is a gross exaggeration
纯属不明真♥相♥者的幻想
born of the fancy of the misinformed.
犯人在带镣苦役队里的生活是一种苦役
The life of a convict in the chain gang is one of hard labor.
纪律是严格的 但没有残暴
The discipline is strict, but there is no brutality.
再说 监狱的目的不仅在于惩罚罪行 而且使人再也不敢犯罪
The purpose of prison is not only to punish crime, but to discourage it,
按人口比例 本州的犯罪率低于美国其余四十个州
and there is less crime in this state in proportion to her population than in 40 other states in this union.
最后 作为带镣苦役队在培养品德方面的价值的证明
Finally, as evidence of the chain gang’s value as a character builder,
我只须提出你们今天对我们讲述的这个案例就行了
I have but to present to you the very case that has been presented to us here today,
那就是詹姆斯·艾伦案件
the case of James Allen,
他来带镣苦役队以前是一个一钱不值的流浪汉
who entered the chain gang as a worthless tramp
他离开这里之后 成为一个城市的最成功的 受尊敬的公民
and who left it to become one of a great city’s most worthy and respected citizens.
本委员会将对詹姆斯·艾伦案件进行研究
The commission will take the case of James Allen under consideration.
五分钟 艾伦
Five minutes, Allen.
他们拒绝赦免你 吉姆
Jim, they refused to pardon you.
他们拒绝
They refused?
州的诺言不起作用
The state’s promise didn’t mean anything?
全都是谎言
It was all lies!
他们只不过要把我弄回来
They just wanted to get me back
在这儿再关我九年
so they can have their revenge…
对我进行报复
To keep me here nine more years!
他们的罪恶比我严重
Why, their crimes are worse than mine,
比这里任何人都严重
worse than anybody’s here!
他们才是该关进监牢的人
They’re the ones that should be in chains,
不是我!
not we!
你不用再呆九年 吉姆
You don’t have to stay here nine years, Jim.
委员会决定
The commission voted
要是你在一年内能成为一个模范犯人
that if you were a model prisoner for one year,
州政♥府♥将会认为你已经完全偿清你的法律责任
they’d concede that you had paid your obligations.
只有九个月了 吉姆
It’s only nine months, Jim.
再受九个月的折磨?
Nine months of this torture?
我不干!
I won’t do it!
我不干!
I won’t do it, I tell you!
吉姆
Jim.
我要逃跑
I’ll get out of here!
吉姆
Jim.
要是他们把我杀了也比呆在这里强
Even if they kill me for it!
还是光明磊落地获得自♥由♥为好
Jim, it’s still better to be honorably free,
在这九个月里
and in those nine months,
我们会日以继夜地为你努力的
we’ll be working for you night and day.
你们已经昼夜为我努力了
But you’ve been working night and day.
可是一点也没有见效
It didn’t do any good!
全国都支持你 这个州会被迫释放你的
We’ll have the whole country behind you then. They’ll be forced to release you.
好吧
All right.
我再等九个月
I’ll wait nine more months.
我要做一个模范犯人
I’ll be a model prisoner…
死了算
If it kills me.
Day after day
Raise them high
Day after day
Working all the livelong day
Working all the livelong day
詹姆斯·艾伦最后不仅成为模范犯人
And finally, not only has James Allen been a model prisoner,
整整一年 忍♥耐和毫无怨言
patient and uncomplaining for a whole year,
而且我们向无数团体和知名人士递了信件
but we have presented letters from countless organizations and prominent individuals
恳请你们提出他的赦免问题
beseeching you to recommend his pardon.
阁下 我认为应当现在就给他自♥由♥
I think it only just, your honors, that he be given his freedom
他还来得及重获他过去的声望和受到普遍尊敬的社会地位
while there is still time for him to regain his former position in society of prominence and universal respect.
艾伦
Allen.
我们刚接到关于你的案子的最新审理报告
We just had a final report on your new hearing.
Well?
他们无限期地推迟判决
They’ve suspended decision indefinitely.
他们说的是哪一个?
Which one was it?
这个
This one.
起来 你这个懒猪
Get up, you lazy skunk! Get up!
嗨 司机
Hey, driver!
最好来瞧瞧这后面
Take a look back here!
我没有空 我赶着给采石场拉东西呢
I must make the quarry!
这辆车到不了采石场啦 你的弹簧坏了
You’ll never make it. Your spring’s broken!
弹簧坏了?
Spring broken?
哪里?
Where?
这里
There it is.
逃跑啦!逃跑啦!
Hey, escape! Escape!
我的车!有人逃跑啦!
My truck! Escape!
不要跑!
Stay where you are!
继续开
Keep driving, boy.
把箱子扔出去
Throw that box out!
别 这里面有我最爱吃的”糖果”

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!