和我对她的印象不一样 这让我很震惊
unlike my image of who she was. It just stunned me.
所有这些相互矛盾的故事都出现在我的脑海中 我感觉
All these conflicting stories came to me and I’d always sensed that…
她一定有过一个非常艰难的童年 嗯
…she must have had a really hard childhood. And, um…
所以在律师的帮助下 我拿到了她的医疗记录
so with the help of a lawyer, I got her medical records
从她自杀的机构和
from the institution where she killed herself, and…

um…
我从她的医疗记录中发现
I found, from her medical records
她患有躁狂抑郁症
that she suffered from manic depression, that’s what they called it.
今天被称为双相障碍
It’s today called bipolar.
她有一本小自传
And there was this little autobiography,
他们肯定是逼迫她写她的人生故事
they must have asked her to write her life story.
真是一份礼物
What a gift.
突然之间
Suddenly it’s like,
我一点都不了解她
it had nothing to do with me!
这并不是说我不可爱
It wasn’t that I was not lovable.
她身上发生了许多事情 她有一个非常非常非常
It’s that things would happen to her, she had a very, very
艰难的童年 嗯
hard childhood, and, um,
在某种程度上 这摧毁了她 这让她崩溃了
it broke her, in some way on some fundamental way, it broke her.
我认为我母亲一生中最重要的时刻
I think the most defining moment in my mother’s life
是她母亲的死
was the death of her mother.
我母亲在1950年去世
My mother died in 1950,
我从来没有想过要来这里
and I never had an inclination to come here.
在那个时候 是我来的正是时候
And at the time, it’s the right time for me to come and…
去参观她的坟墓
and visit her grave.
我完成了她的人生故事
I finished her life story.
我想做的就是把她抱在怀里
And all I wanted to do was take her in my arms
然后说 “我很抱歉
and just say, “I’m so sorry.
“我很抱歉 我很抱歉我没有”
“I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry that I wasn’t…
“更加爱你 我不知道 我很抱歉你必须经历这一切 ”
“more loving to you, I didn’t know. I’m so sorry you had to go through that.
请原谅我 ”
Please forgive me.”
他们没有能力去爱 不是因为你不
Their incapacity to love wasn’t because you weren’t…
值得去爱 但那是因为他们也受了伤
worthy of love, but it was because they, too, had been wounded.
然后你可以原谅他们
And then you can forgive.
它可能会被代代相传
It goes from one generation to another, and…
但有人必须打破这个循环
somebody’s got to break the cycle.
我想写这本书的原因之一是
One of the reasons that I wanted to write my book was
我想让我女儿知道
because I wanted my daughter to know
为什么我作为母亲做的不够好
why I wasn’t a better parent to her
这与她毫无关系
and that it had nothing to do with her.
我很伤心
I get so sad…
当我想到我女儿不需要我的时候
when I think of what I wasn’t for my daughter that she needed.
很难接受 因为这太痛苦了
And it’s hard to take that in ’cause it’s so painful,
但我想 永远不会太迟
but it’s never too late, I think.
现在我们之间有一些事情
There are things between us now that…
已经和原来有所不同 我想我们都能感觉到
didn’t used to be there, and I think we both feel it.
在内心深处 我们彼此相爱
Deep down, we love each other.
我希望她能原谅我
I hope that she’ll be able to forgive me.
我很幸运 我有我的家人 还有我的大家庭
And I feel lucky that I have my family, and my extended family.
我们现在的关系更加民♥主♥
I’m now having relationships that are much more democratic.
但当我和我的女性朋友在一起时 我能更加真实
But I am most myself when I’m with my women friends.
像很多人一样 我认为我会
Like a lot of people, I sort of thought that I would
在某时 退休
at some point, you know, kind of retire, and…
但这是不可能的
but that’s not gonna happen.
女演员简·方达来到坚石
Actress Jane Fonda traveled to Standing Rock
向示♥威♥者提供感恩节大餐
to serve Thanksgiving meals to demonstrators.
这是一场战斗 不仅仅是为了坚石 而是为了每个人
This is a battle for, not just Standing Rock, but for everyone.
如果你的生活没有意义 你很难真正快乐
It’s hard to be really happy if your life doesn’t have meaning.
人们信教是因为宗教赋予他们活下去的意义
People turn to religion because it gives them some meaning,
但我是一个积极分子
but I am an activist.
嘿 嘿 嘿 唐纳德·特朗普得滚蛋了
Hey, hey! Ho, ho! Donald Trump has got to go!
但我们正处在一个全新的时代
But we’re in a whole new era.
当发生灾难的时候 我们必须在街上游♥行♥
When there’s a catastrophe that’s happened, we have to be out in the streets.
我们不需要在环境和经济之间做出选择 这是错误的做法
We don’t have to choose between the environment and the economy. That is a false choice.
女演员简方达和莉莉·汤姆林
Actresses Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin
参加抗♥议♥的几位名人
among several celebrities joining the protest,
与示♥威♥者一起游♥行♥
and marching with the demonstrators.
跟我说:
Say it with me:
我发誓要反抗
I pledge to resist!
我发誓要反抗
I pledge to resist!
她不是一个不可靠的活动家
She is not a fly-by-night activist.
但她的灵魂深处
It is deep in her soul.
她的那一部分会永不停息 为她提供生活的力量
There is no stopping that part of herself ’cause it feeds everything.
他们不让我们进去
They wouldn’t let us in,
但我们还是可以把钱取出来的
but we can still take our money out!
就是这种活跃的能量
There’s this kinetic energy.
她不会停止的
She won’t stop.
她在做她手头的事情
She’s on a mission.
期望把一切做好
This intent to do well
让她的阴暗面远离
keeps her demons at bay.
有时我想说 “你不需要向任何人证明任何东西 ”
Sometimes I want to say, “You don’t need to prove anything else to anyone.
“你不需要一直把自己逼这么紧 不断地 ”
“You don’t need to push… so hard, constantly.”
但是
But…
她就是她 而且
she is who she is and…
我 坦白地说 我不会改变她的任何事情
I… I, quite honestly, I wouldn’t change anything about her.
我花了这么多的时间在意如果我不完美 没有人会爱我
I had spent so much of my life feeling if I’m not perfect, no one can love me.
然后
And then…
我意识到 想要变得完美是人生旅途中的毒瘤
I realized that trying to be perfect is a toxic journey.
我们并不完美
We’re not perfect.
我们必须爱我们的不完美
We have to love our shadow,
我们必须拥抱并接受我们的不完美
we have to embrace and accept our shadows.
有时候 足够好就已经够了
And sometimes, good enough is good enough.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!