If you must know, I’m just out of jail.
如果你想知道 我是刚刚出狱
What were you in for? What’s the difference?
你为什么会入狱?
Larceny, they called it. Larceny?
盗窃 他们这么说
Pawning a rented typewriter.
典当了一个租来的打字机
Couldn’t you do better than that?
你就不能做得更好一点?
What did you get? Three months.
多久?
This is your first day out of jail?
今天是你第一天出狱?
Yes.

I see.
我懂了
Poor dear. Oh, well.
可怜的人 哦 那好吧
Nothing is permanent in this world, not even our troubles.
这个世界没有永恒的东西
Are you hungry? Frankly, yes.
你饿吗?
Then while I tend to the culinary operations,
那当我在做饭的时候
you can help to bring in a few things.
你能帮我做些事情
Come.
跟我来
Can I adopt your little kitten? Please do.
能让我来照顾你的小猫咪吗?
We’ll set the table for one.
我们要拼一张桌子
Aren’t you having any? No.
你没有桌子吗?
Oh, then all we need is a knife, fork and napkin.
哦 这样的话我们只需要一把刀 一把叉
Here they are.
在这里
Well, you will take them in there,
你能帮忙把他们带到房♥子里去吗
make yourself at home.
然后尽量让你自己感觉就像在你家里一样
Merci. Merci.
谢谢
I don’t know whether this will appeal. Eggs, toast and red wine.
我不知道这些东西能不能引起
Wonderful! Be seated.
太好了
Thank you.
谢谢
You’re tired. So right after supper, I shall take you to your hotel.
你应该很累了 所以晚饭以后
You’re kind. I don’t understand why you’re doing all this.
你太客气了 我不明白你
Why not? Is a little kindness such a rare thing?
为什么不呢?这个世界这点
I was beginning to think it was.
我刚才差点就这么想了
The toast! Pardon me. Can I help you?
吐司 请原谅
No, no, stay where you are. I can manage.
不 不 你就待在那里
Voil? You’re funny.

Am I? Why? I don’t know.
我吗?为什么?
However, you’re hungry. Please go ahead.
不管怎么样 你饿了
What book is that? Schopenhauer.
那是什么书?
Do you like him? So, so.
你喜欢他?
Have you read his treatise on suicide?
你读过他关于自杀的论文吗?
Wouldn’t interest me. Not if the end was simple?
我不感兴趣
Say you went to sleep,
就是说你睡着了
and there was a sudden stoppage.
在毫无知觉的情况下
Wouldn’t you prefer it to this drab existence?
与灰暗的现实相比 你为什么不喜欢他呢?
I wonder. The approach of death terrifies.
我不知道
I suppose if the unborn knew of the approach of life,
我猜想如果那些尚未出生
they’d be just as terrified.
他们也会感到害怕
Yet life is wonderful. What’s wonderful about it?
然而生活是美好的
Everything, a spring morning, a summer’s night, music, art, love –
任何地方 春天的早晨
Love? There is such a thing.
爱情?
How do you know? I was in love once.
你怎么知道?
Physically attracted by someone? It was more than that.
生理上被某人所吸引了?
Women are capable of something more.
女人总是会有更多的东西
You don’t like women?
你不喜欢女人?
On the contrary, I love but don’t admire them.
恰恰相反 我爱她们但并不敬仰她们
Why?
为什么?
Women are of the earth, realistic, dominated by physical facts.
女人们世俗 现实 而且被物欲所奴役
What nonsense.
无稽之谈
Once a woman betrays a man, she despises him.
当一个女人背叛一个男人时 她还鄙视他
In spite of his goodness, she will give him up for someone inferior,
看不到他的优点
if that someone is more, shall we say, attractive.
我是说如果她感觉那个替代
How little you know about women.
你对女人了解得太少了
You’d be surprised.
你会大吃一惊的
That isn’t love.
那不是爱
What is love? Giving, sacrificing.
那什么是爱?
What a mother feels for her child.
就像一个母亲对她的孩子似的
Did you love that way? Yes.
那你就是这么爱的?
Whom? My husband.
爱谁?
You’re married?
你结婚了?
I was. He died while I was in jail.
我结过婚 他在我坐牢的时候死了
I see. Tell me about him.
懂了 那就跟我说说他吧
That’s a long story.
说来话长
He was wounded in the war, an invalid.
他在战争中受了伤 是残疾
An invalid?
一个残废?
That’s why I loved him. He needed me, depended on me.
那就是我之所以爱他的原因
He was like a child.
就像一个孩子似的
But he was more than a child to me.
但他对我来说不仅仅是一个孩子
He was a religion. My very breath.
他是我的信仰 我的呼吸
I’d have killed for him.
我愿意为他去死
No, love is something very real and deep.
不 爱情是一种现实而又深奥的东西
I know that.
我知道这点
However. Pardon me.
但是
I believe there’s a little cork in that wine.
我相信这酒里面有点软木塞的碎屑
Let me get you another glass.
请让我为你另拿一杯
A penny for your thoughts.
怎么了
Oh, no.
啊 不
More wine? Thank you, no more.
还要酒吗?
Come, it’s very late and you’re tired.
来 现在很晚了 而你也很累了
Here.
这里
This will tide you over for a day or so.
够你花几天了
Good luck. Thank you.
祝你好运
Oh, this is too much.
哦 这些太多了
Silly, carrying on this way.
这样做很傻
I was beginning to lose faith.
我都快要失去信念了
Then this happens and you want to believe all over again.
但今天所发生的一切 还有你
This is a ruthless world and one must be ruthless to cope with it.
你相信的太多了 这是一个无情的世界
That isn’t true.
那不对
It’s a blundering world and a very sad one,
这是一个伤感而有错误的世界
yet kindness can make it beautiful.
但是爱心能将它变得美丽
You’d better go before your philosophy corrupts me.
你还是走吧 在你的哲学腐蚀我之前
You can go out this way.
你可以从这里出去
Goodnight and thank you.
谢谢 晚安
Good morning. Do I have a message? Not yet.
早上好 有我的消息吗?
How many orders has Madame received?
请问夫人已经收到多少单了?
Two. One every three days. Good. There’s still a week to go?
两单 每三天一单
Oui, Monsieur. I see. Oh, well.
对 先生
We must hope for the best. Oui.
我们得往最好的地方想
Good morning. Good morning.
再见
M. Verdoux? Oui.
凡尔杜先生?
I’m Detective Morrow from Police Headquarters.
我是莫洛侦探 警♥察♥厅的
I’d like to talk to you. Won’t you come in?
我想跟你谈谈
This way, please. Nice pieces you have here.
这边请
Quite a collector, eh? In a modest way.
你是一个收藏家吗?
This is amusing. An old galleon figurehead.
这个很有意思
What’s that? From the bow of a boat.
那是什么?
Very nice. Pardon me.
很不错 啊 对不起
What’s that? I don’t know where that came from.
那是什么?
Be seated, Monsieur. Merci.
请坐 先生
A drink, Monsieur? No, no, merci.
喝一杯 先生?
Then you’ll pardon me?
那请你原谅
Well?
好了
I want to ask you a few questions. Oui, Monsieur.
我想问你几个问题
How long have you sold furniture? Approximately three years.
你卖♥♥家具卖♥♥了多久了?
Do you know a Mme Thelma Varnay? I beg your pardon?
你认识一个名叫茜尔玛·瓦奈的女人吗?
Thelma Varnay.
茜尔玛·瓦奈
I do not, Monsieur.
我不认识 先生
Or Lydia Floray?
那么莉迪亚·弗洛蕾呢?
Floray. Floray?
弗洛蕾 弗洛蕾?
Oui, Monsieur. Lydia Floray from the City of Corbell.
是的 先生 莉迪亚·弗洛蕾
I’m afraid I don’t, Monsieur.
我恐怕不认识 先生
You’re married? Yes.
你结婚了吗?
You have a wife and child? Quite so.
你有一个妻子还有孩子?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!