No, this is a Chief. You are not a Chief.
这是酋长而你不是酋长
That’s absurd.
太荒谬了
It is not good for tall people to know more than this Chief.
大人懂得比酋长还多 不是件好事
When these children are tall, then this Chief can be dead.
当这些小孩长高时 酋长可能已经死了
Bror, yes. But Denys hired out to tourists, I can’t imagine.
伯若 还可能 但没想到丹尼斯会受聘陪游客打猎
He’s got no other trade and we’ve got no choice.
他没有其他事业 且我们也没选择
The government’s put a stop to the ivory.
政♥府♥禁止象牙贸易
What will you do then? I’ll concentrate on the farm.
那你要做什么? 我会专注在农场
Hello, the house!
房♥子你好
Felicity!
菲莉熙
How is it you’re home?
怎么回家了?
I’m out. Look. I didn’t learn a thing, but I’m wonderfully clean.
我毕业了没学到任何东西 倒是十分纯洁
I’ll come and see you. You save me a dance, Berkeley.
我会去拜访你 你留支舞给我
What’s this nonsense I hear about a school?
那个关于学校的无聊事是怎么回事?
I’ve taken on a young missionary.
我找到个年轻的传教士
He’s promised me to do the alphabet first, and save God for later.
他答应我先教字母 上帝留到以后
Wogs can’t even count their goats.
瓦戈人连自己的羊都不会数
It’s none of your bloody business anyway!
这反正也与你无关
Who the devil are you?
你又是谁?
I wonder if you’d dance with me?
你愿跟我跳舞吗?
I think you are about to apologize.
我想你最好马上道歉
You do stir things up.
你真会挑起事端
When they said they’d like to read, how did they put that exactly?
当他们说喜欢念书 他们到底是怎么说的
Do they know they’d like Dickens?
是他们说喜欢狄更斯吗?
You don’t think they should learn to read?
你不认为他们应该念书吗?
I think you might have asked them.
你问过他们是否喜欢吗?
Did you ask to learn when you were a child?
你小时候曾要求学习吗?
How can stories possibly harm them?
故事会对他们造成伤害吗?
They have their own stories, just not in writing.
他们有自己的故事 只是没写下来
Why would you rather keep them ignorant?
你为何要他们维持无知?
They’re not ignorant.
他们并不是无知
I just don’t think they should be turned into little Englishmen.
我只是不认为 他们应该被变成一群小英国人
You do like to change things, don’t you?
你喜欢改变 不是吗?
For the better, I hope.
我希望 朝好的方向
I want my Kikuyu to learn to read.
我要我的克库由人学念书
My Kikuyu. My Limoges. My farm.
我的克库由人 我的瓷器 我的农场
It’s an awful lot to own, isn’t it? I’ve paid a price for all I own.
你拥有的太多了吧? 我付了代价才拥有的
What is it exactly that’s yours?
到底什么才真正是你的?
We’re not owners here, we’re just passing through.
在此我们不是主人 只是过客
Is life really so damn simple for you?
生命对你真的这么单纯吗?
Perhaps I ask less of it than you do.
或许我对它较无所求
I don’t believe that at all.
我一点都不相信
Happy New Year!
新年快乐
Happy New Year.
新年快乐
And for you, too.
也祝福你
Someone has left her underclothes in the back.
有人将她的内衣留在后座
I want you to take a place in town.
我要你搬到城里去
Are you sure?
你确定吗?
Eats.

Eats.

Eats.

He eats.
他吃
Elephant.
大象
Give me work.
给我工作
We’ve got peace, where is the prosperity?
我们有了和平 但繁荣在哪?
Why should the prices fall now just because they’re not killing anybody?
为何就因为他们不再杀人 而价格下跌?
Tea’s down just as bad.
茶叶也一样惨
Do they always have to whip them so?
他们一定要鞭打它们吗?
They finally made a machine that’s really useful. Listen.
他们总算造了个真正有用的机器 你听
It’s for you.
送给你
I can’t accept it. Why not?
我不能接受 为什么?
Bror’s moved to town.
伯若已经搬到城里去
That’s a private matter, I imagine.
我想那是私人的事
Did you think you would spend the night?
你愿意留下来过夜吗?
Can’t, thanks. I have to go down to the Mara.
不行 我必须去玛喇
I’ve taken up safari work and I’ve gotta find a camp.
我开始了狩猎旅行的工作 而我必须找个营地
No.

There’s country there you ought to see. It won’t last long now.
你必须看看这原野 这不会持久的
No.

I would be wasting your time.
我只会浪费你的时间
Why don’t you get your things?
你去收拾你的东西
If you like me at all…
如果你喜欢我
don’t ask me to do this.
就别要我做这事
What’s your word?
你要说什么?
Shoo?
嘘?
Is that it? Shoo?
是不是? 嘘?
That’s a fine word you’ve got there.
你那个字可真好用
Crank it again, please.
请再转一次
Almost. Crank it again.
差一点 再转一次
Again.
再来
Once more.
再一次
Well done. We’re off.
转得好 我们可以上路了
I don’t know the scientific basis for it, but I know you can see further…
我不晓得科学根据 但我知道在非洲的夜晚…
in the African night than any other place.
你可以看得比其他地方来的远
And the stars are brighter.
而且星星也比较亮
It’s about the tents.
至于帐篷
When I’m out with Kanuthia…
当我和喀努侠出去…
Used to be, we didn’t use them.
以前 我们没用过
I remember him.
我记得他
There was something… Masai.
有点… 马塞
He was half Masai, that’s what you remember about him.
他是半个马塞人 那是你记得关于他的事
They’re like nobody else.
他们非常的独特
We think we’ll tame them, but we won’t.
我们认为我们驯服了他们 其实没有
If you put them in prison, they die.
如果你将他们关入牢里 他们会死
Why?
为什么?
Because they live now. They don’t think about the future.
因为他们只活在现在 不会想到未来
They can’t grasp the idea that they’ll be let out one day.
他们无法了解有一天会被释放出来
They think it’s permanent, so they die.
他们以为这是永久的 所以他们会死亡
They’re the only ones here that don’t care about us…
他们也是唯一不在乎我们的族…
and that is what will finish them.
而这也是他们会灭亡的原因
What did the two of you ever find to talk about?
你们俩有找到个话题吗?
Nothing.
没有
So you knew I would come.
所以你确定我会来
It’s an early day tomorrow. Why don’t you get some sleep?
明天要起个大早 你去睡点觉罢
What happens tomorrow? I have no idea.
明天干什么? 我不知道
Good night.
晚安
You would think they would run off. You didn’t.
你想它们应该会跑掉 你没有
Think of that. Never a man-made sound, and then Mozart.
想想看从来没听过人造声 还有莫札特
Have you clients already?
你已经有顾客了?
In a week. A man from Belgium and his daughters.
下星期 一个比利时人及他女儿们会来
His letter said, “We’d like three of everything.”
他信上说 “我们每个东西都要三份”
It’ll be an interesting trip.
这会是个有趣的旅行
I’ll be gone a month, or an hour and a half.
我会离开一个月或是一个半钟头
Why are you doing this?
你为何要做这工作?
I don’t know how to sow.
我不会缝衣
Do you know what they’re made of? Cloth.
你知道那什么做的? 布
Where will he land? Trick is not to.
它要在哪着陆? 还是不着陆的好
It must feel amazing.
那感觉一定很棒
It’s how I imagined America to be.
这才是我想像中的美国
Have you been to America? No, but my father was there…
你去过美国吗? 不 但我父亲去过…
and he always told me stories about it when I was a little girl.
在我是个小女孩时 他总是给我讲故事
Are you still close?
你们还亲近吗?
He died. He killed himself when I was 10 years old.
他过世了 我十岁时他自杀了
I can fix that, I think.
我想 我能解决那
“Laugh’d loud and long, and all the while
他豪迈的笑声又高又远…
“His eyes went to and fro
他的眼光不时来回瞧
“‘Ha! Ha! ‘ quoth he, ‘full plain I see
他说 “哈哈 我看清了
“‘The Devil knows how to row’
魔鬼知晓如何划
“Farewell, farewell! …”
别了 别了…”
You’re skipping verses. I leave out the dull parts.
你漏掉句子了 我跳过单调的部份

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!