I might do it anyway.
反正我原本也可能如此做
It’s not the way we thought it would be,
这婚姻 好像与我们原本想像 不一样,
is it?
不是吗?
But I like it that you’re honest with me.
但我喜欢你对我诚实
I like you, too.
我也喜欢你
Very much.
非常喜欢
I had a compass from Denys.
我有丹尼斯送的指南针
“To steer by,” he said.
他说可以引导我
But later it came to me…
但后来我发觉
that we navigated differently.
我们的航向并不同
Perhaps he knew, as I did not…
说不定他早知道 而我不知道
that the Earth was made round…
这地球是圆的…
so that we would not see too far down the road.
所以前方的路我们看不了太远
You’ve got syphilis.
你得了梅毒
That’s not possible.
这不可能的
Your husband is not ill?
你先生没发病?
No.
没有
Not the last time I saw him.
我上次见他时没有
That was three months ago.
那是三个月前了
He’s on the border with Delamere. He would have come home.
他与德拉米在边境 有的话他早该回家了
These cases vary.
每个病例都不一样
He may have just a touch.
他可能很轻微
But you are very ill.
但你很严重
Is he the only possibility?
他是唯一的可能性吧?
Yes.

You’ll have to go home to deal with it, you know?
你必须回家养病 知道吗?
The treatment’s difficult, but they have a thing called Salvarsan.
治疗是不容易 但有种药叫撒尔佛散
Arsenic.
含砒素的
And if I’m not cured then I will be insane, won’t I?
如果我没痊愈就会发疯 不是吗?
You ought to go soon.
你应尽快动身
I’ll have to see your husband.
我必须检查你先生
I will send for him.
我会请他来
These ought to help with the fever till you get home.
在你回到家之前 这有助退烧
And what are my chances? About even, I’m afraid.
我痊愈的机会有多大? 恐怕只有一半
It’s not what I thought would happen to me now.
我没想到现在会发生这事
Muthaiga? What?
慕迪加? 什么?
Your letters.
你的信
Excuse me.
失陪一下
I heard you had made it. I’d have paid anything to see their faces.
听说你安全抵达 我真想看看他们的脸色
Hello.
哈罗
Would you join us for a drink?
跟我们喝一杯?
I can’t. How is it that you are home?
我不能 你怎么回来了呢?
I brought Berkeley back.
我带伯克莱回来
Has he been wounded? No, fever.
他受伤了吗? 发烧
More than usual, but he’ll be all right as long as the gin holds out.
不寻常的 但只要有琴酒 他就会没事的
And you? How is it with the fighting?
你呢? 战争怎么样?
We’re taking a beating. It’s likely to last for a while.
我们居劣势 可能还要再撑一阵
I still have your compass. Why don’t you keep it?
你的指南针还在我这儿 你何不留着?
You’ve earned it.
宝剑配英雄
Besides, I don’t always want to know where I’m going anyway.
此外 我也不要老是晓得我的方向
Please don’t let me keep you.
别让我耽搁你了
Are you all right? Yes.
你没事吧? 没事
Take good care.
保重了
We’re behind a story or two. Yes.
我们得再来一些故事 没错
When I get back. Back? From where?
等我回来 回来? 从哪?
When you get back, I meant.
我是说 等你回来
I thought it was malaria. It wasn’t.
我以为是疟疾 不是
And you may be all right, but you have to be seen.
你可能无大碍 但得看医生
And the others, whoever they are, I hope they’ve got it.
至于其他人 不论是谁 我希望她们都染上
It’s my fault, no one else’s.
是我的错 不怪别人
I want to go with you.
我要跟你去
Someone has to stay here and run things, and the factory must be finished.
总得有人留下来经营农场 且工厂也得完成
Can you do that? That’s little enough.
你能胜任吗? 小事一桩
I’m sorry.
对不起
I’m sorry.
对不起
Where’s memsahib?
夫人呢?
She can come soon enough.
她马上就到
Later that day, I left for Mombasa…
那天下午我到蒙巴萨
and the voyage home to Denmark.
然后踏上回丹麦的旅程
It was a longer journey this time.
这次路程更漫长
The war went on.
战事漫延着
I fought my own war.
我也在打一场自己的战
Arsenic was my ally against an enemy I never saw.
砒素是我的盟友 对抗我看不见的敌人
I stayed in the room where I was born…
我住在伦特兰
in Rungstedlund…
我出生的房♥间…
and tried to remember the colors of Africa.
回忆非洲的颜色
There was only the medicine…
只有药剂…
and walks with my mother along a deserted stretch of beach…
与母亲在空荡荡的海滩散步…
and this room in my mother’s house.
及母亲屋子里的这房♥间
Denmark had become a stranger to me…
丹麦与我已经…
and I to her.
互为陌路
But my mother’s house, I came to know again.
但我再度认识我母亲的房♥子
And knew I would come back to it, sick or well…
而且我深知有一天 我会回到它怀抱…
sane or mad, someday.
不论健康与否 或醒或狂
And so I did…
在查佛后…
after Tsavo.
我终于回来
Almost everyone’s got them now.
现在几乎人人都有车了
I am cooking now. I have heard about this.
我在煮饭了 我听说了
Are you well?
你好吗?
I am well enough.
我够好
Then I am well enough also.
那我也够好了
What will you do?
你要做什么呢?
I have been thinking I’ll hunt. Safari sort of thing.
我想去打猎 像狩猎旅行之类的
They say it’ll be quite a business once the war is over.
听说战争一结束 这会是个热门行业
You wouldn’t want to teach?
你不想教学?
I would like these Kikuyu to have a school.
我要帮这些克库由人办个学校
There will be a fight about that.
这将会有争论的
Tanne.
坦妮
Are you all well?
你还好吗?
They say I’m cured.
他们说我痊愈了
I won’t have children.
我不能有小孩
Have you thought about us?
你考虑过我们吗?
Of course.
当然
Belknap says the coffee will flower after the next rains.
伯纳说再下次雨 咖啡就会开花了
If it does, you’ll have to start thinking about hiring for the harvest…
果真如此 你得开始筹划 雇用收成的帮手…
and how you’ll get to market.
及如何送到市场
Where would Berkeley be? He must be here.
伯克莱会在哪? 他一定在这里
Who won the match?
谁赢?
Have you got a story for me?
给我说个故事吧?
Finch Hatton.
芬齐哈顿
I’ve been demoted. I was Denys last time.
我被降级了 上次我还叫丹尼斯呢
Would you care for some champagne?
来点香槟吗?
They said you went home for a while. Yes.
听说你回去了一阵 对
Where’s Berkeley? It’s good to see you.
伯克莱呢? 很高兴看到你
He’s still down with fever. He’ll be all right. Who are all these people?
他发烧躺在床上 他会恢复的 这些人都是谁?
Bror says we’ll be a colony soon.
伯若说我们很快就会变成殖民地
They want it settled now.
他们现要屯垦了
They’ve got a lottery. “Buy a ticket, win a farm in Africa.”
他们发行一种彩券”买♥♥一张票 赢一座非洲农场”
Did you really think it would stay the way it was?
你真认为这里会像从前一样?
I thought it might.
我以为会的
Where is Kanuthia? He’s dead.
喀努侠呢? 他死了
Hello, Denys.
你好 丹尼斯
How are you? Would you join us for a drink?
你好吗? 要不要来喝一杯?
It’s time to find a pillow. Another night then?
该是睡觉的时候了 那就改天吧?
Have a good Christmas.
祝你圣诞节快乐
Christmas?
圣诞节?
So it is.
就要到了
This Chief says children higher than this…
酋长说超过这高度的孩子…
must not learn to read.
不得上学念书
Tell him that all the children must go to school.
告诉他所有的孩子都应该上学

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!