他正值壮年…
He was growing into middle age…
住在森林大道的一座平房♥里
…and was living then in a bungalow on Woodland Avenue.
他坐在摇椅上…
He installed himself in a rocking chair…
在暮色里抽着雪茄…
…and smoked a cigar down in the evenings…
他妻子在围裙上擦着粉红的双手…
…as his wife wiped her pink hands on an apron…
和他们的两个孩子说着什么
…and reported happily on their two children.
孩子们熟悉父亲的双腿…
His children knew his legs…
还有他的胡子扎在自己脸上的感觉
…the sting of his mustache against their cheeks.
但他们不知道父亲如何谋生
They didn’t know how their father made his living or why they so often moved.
也不知道为什么经常要搬家
他们甚至不知道父亲的名字
They didn’t even know their father’s name.
在市政♥府♥的名录上
He was listed in the city directory as Thomas Howard.
他叫做托马斯·霍华德
走在街上没人认得他…
And he went everywhere unrecognized…
他时常与堪萨斯城的店主和商人吃午饭…
…and lunched with Kansas City shopkeepers and merchants…
自称是牧人或者投资商人…
…calling himself a cattleman or a commodities investor…
一个平易近人,有钱而又悠闲的人
…someone rich and leisured who had the common touch.
他的胸口有两处未能痊愈的弹痕…
He had two incompletely healed bullet holes in his chest…
大腿上也有一处
…and another in his thigh.
他左手中指少了两节…
He was missing the nub of his left middle finger…
对此他很是小心,唯恐被人看见
…and was cautious, lest that mutilation be seen.
他还有一种称为“粒状眼睑”的症状…
He also had a condition that was referred to as “granulated eyelids”…
这使得他比常人更频繁的眨眼…
…and it caused him to blink more than usual…
好像在他看来
…as if he found creation slightly more than he could accept.
周围的人们让他有点难以接受
他在的时候,房♥间似乎更加炎热
Rooms seemed hotter when he was in them.
雨似乎下得更频繁
Rains fell straighter.
时间似乎过得更慢
Clocks slowed.
声音被放得更大
Sounds were amplified.
他认为自己是永无终结的内战中…
He considered himself a Southern loyalist and guerrilla…
忠于南方的游击队员
…in a Civil War that never ended.
对于他做过的抢劫案…
He regretted neither his robberies, nor the 17 murders that he laid claim to.
以及被控诉的17起谋杀案毫不悔过
在密苏里州的堪萨斯城
He had seen another summer under in Kansas City, Missouri…
他又迎来了一个新的夏天
1881年9月5日…
…and on September 5th in the year 1881…
他34岁
…he was 34 years old.
你只要把东西滑进这里…到你袖子里…
You just… You just slide them things right in there, right in your sleeve…
然后等准备好了,就甩出来
…and then, when you get ready, you just shake it out.
像那样,看,甩出来
Like that, right there. You shake it out.
(蓝切地,密苏里州,1881年9月7日)
玛丽·托德·林肯,暴君的妻子…
Mary Todd Lincoln, tyrant’s wife, fall into hysterics when the moon was full.
在月圆时发疯了
President’s men would tie her up with hay-baling wire…
总统的手下会用干草绳把她捆起来
以免她丈夫的耳朵被她咬掉
…keep her from ripping her husband’s ears off.
你从没听别人说过
You never heard word one about the wife of the Confederacy’s Jefferson Davis, did you?
杰弗逊·戴维斯的老婆的闲话吧?
没有 对,没有
– I didn’t. – No, you didn’t.
她可是她丈夫的贤内助
He did his duty by her.
噢,天哪,忘了你是小孩子了
– Oh, my God, I’m speaking to children. – No, I get it, I get it, I get it.
不,我听懂了…
联邦总统明白妻子的需要
The president of the Confederacy discerned his wife’s needs and satisfied them…
他用高超的技巧和礼节…
…满足了她
…with the utmost skill and the utmost courtesy.
查理,你喷得我满鞋子都是
– Charley, you spit all over my boot. – Sorry. Sorry, sorry, Jesse.
对不起,对不起,杰西
这里,弄干净
– Here, get it off. – I’ll wipe it… I’ll wipe it off.
我来擦…我会擦干净的
但亚伯拉罕·林肯
But Abraham Lincoln probably sent his wife on a shopping expedition.
也许让他老婆去疯狂购物了
一场三幕的戏
– A three-act play. – With money stole from us.
花的是从我们这偷去的钱
开饭!
Chow!
我看林肯家双方都有病
I think insanity run on both sides of that Lincoln family.
你说的没错
You’re right about that.
那河…你跳进去
The river… You jump in the river.
开饭! 别害羞,迪克
– Chow! – Don’t be shy now, Dick.
再来一块肉 你骗人多了以后…
– One more piece of meat. – When you diddle a lot…
给他留了一块又好又肥的培根
There’s a good piece of bacon fat in there for him.
打扰了
Excuse me.
我随便散步,没想到打扰你了
I see I’ve traipsed right on in and interrupted you.
那么你是谁?
Who are you, then?
鲍勃·福特
Bob Ford.
查理的弟弟?
Charley’s brother?

Yeah.
我刚才说谎了,我不是偶尔路过
I was lying when I said I just happened down here.
我在找你,我一开始没说实话
I’ve been looking for you. I feel lousy I didn’t say so at the outset.
是不是很让人讨厌
因为我给人的第一印象常常很不好…
Folks take me for a nincompoop…
别人都当我是傻子,但我觉得自己…
…on account of the shabby first impression I make, whereas I think of myself…
只比詹姆斯兄弟差一点
…as being just a rung down from the James brothers.
我希望如果我避开那些啄木鸟来见你…
I was hoping if I ran into you aside from those peckerwoods…
我就能向你展示我的特别之处
…I could show you how special I am.
我坚信,我注定要干一番大事业
I honestly believe I’m destined for great things, Mr. James.
詹姆斯先生
I got qualities that don’t come shining through right at the outset.
我的特别之处一开始并不引人注目
给我一个机会,我能把活干好
You give me a chance, I’ll get the job done. I guarantee you that.
我向你保证
嗨,迪克,听说你骗了个印第安女人?
Hey, Dick, is it true you diddled a squaw?
快告诉我,我一直想上红皮肤女人
Come on, you can tell me. I’ve always wanted to lay down with a redskin.
这个,查理…
Well, Charley…
你会有这样一种感觉…
…there’s a feeling that comes over you…
这个女人的手割了一个教士的头皮
…getting inside a woman whose hands has scalped a congregation.
而你进入了她的身体…
There’s this thunderous sound that comes from their cooch…
她们的阴♥道♥里有雷鸣般的声音…
因为她们站着生孩子…
…on account of the fact that they birth a child standing upright…
像野兽那样 什么样的声音?
…like a wild animal. – What’s it sound like?
雷鸣般的阴♥道♥就是…查理,我不知道
Whatever a thunderous cooch sounds like there, Charley. I don’t know.
不对
No.
她们的阴♥道♥很吵,是因为…
They got a noisy quim on account of the fact that…
她们在平原上穿行时用它来装杂货
…they use their cunnis as a saddlebag to carry sundries across the plains.
少来了,到底什么感觉?爽吗?
Come on, what’d it really feel like? Did it feel good?
快点坦白,快
Come on, fess up, now.
我喜欢你,查理
I like you, Charley.
我也喜欢你,查理
I like you too, Charley.
这个…
Well…
你并不特别,福特先生
You’re not so special, Mr. Ford.
你就像其他新手一样,爱自我吹嘘
You’re just like any other tyro who’s prinked himself up for an escapade.
想得到一显身手的机会
希望成为江湖小说里面的神枪手
Hoping to be a gunslinger like them nickel books are about.
你可以歇歇了…
You may as well quench your mind of it…
因为你不是那块料,孩子
…because you don’t have the ingredients, son.
很遗憾,我的话影响了你的判断…
Well, I’m sorry to hear you feel that way…
让你这么看我
…as I put such stock in your opinions.
作为一个枪手
As for me being a gunslinger, I’ve just got this one granddaddy Paterson Colt…
我只有一把古董级的左轮手♥枪♥…
还借了一条皮带来固定它
…and a borrowed belt to stick it in.
但我也的确有雄心壮志
But I also got an appetite for greater things.
我希望借加入的机会,能更进一步
I hoped by joining up with you, it’d put me that much closer to getting them.
让我怎么说你好呢?
Well, what am I supposed to say to that?
今晚我当你的拍档
Let me be your sidekick tonight.
拍档?
Sidekick?
这样你能看到我的不足和闪光点
So you can examine my grit and intelligence.
我不知道你这人到底怎样…
I don’t know what it is about you…
但你说得越多,就越让我感到不安
…but the more you talk, the more you give me the willies.
我想我今晚不想看到你,好吗?
Now, I don’t believe I want you anywhere within earshot this evening, okay?
明白吗?
You understand?
我很遗憾… 你还不走?快点
– Well, I’m sorry… – Why don’t you just get now? Scat.
好吧
All right.
我曾和一个女孩在一起,她不是印第安人
I was with a girl once, wasn’t a squaw.
但她很漂亮
But she was pretty.
她金黄的头发就像…
She had yellow hair like a…
噢,就是像什么东西
Oh, like something.
像一缕灿烂的阳光?
Like hair bobbed from a ray of sunlight?
对,对,就像那样
Yeah. Yeah, like that.
哥们,你…说话真好听
Boy, you… You talk good.
华丽的词藻能表达感情
You can hide things in vocabulary.
也许你能帮我写个纸条给她,寄过去?
Maybe you and me could write her a note, send it by post?
跟你说吧,艾德,你要做的…
See, all you gotta do, Ed…
就是琢磨她的心思,然后一举搞定
…is predict her needs and beat her to the punch.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!