嗨,我不只是在吹嘘我和我弟
Hey, I wasn’t just flapping my lips about my kid brother and me.
我想说的是,如果你和杰西…
What I figured was if you and Jesse could gauge our courage and our daring…
能看清我们的胆识和勇气…
你就该把我们收做固定搭档
…you might just make us your regular sidekicks.
你们的勇气和胆识
Your courage and your daring.
关于搭档我听得够多了
I about heard all I want to about sidekicks. You sound like your damn brother.
你这口气跟你那该死的弟弟一样
跟你直说吧
Yeah. Well, I’ll be square with you, it’s Bob who put me up to it. He’s…
是我弟让我来跟你说这些的,他…
他有本事加入詹姆斯兄弟的队伍
He’s got plans for the James boys I can’t even get the hang of.
但我却完全做不好
– They’re that complicated. – Yeah?
这活太复杂了 是吗?
你们可以打消这个念头了
Well, you can just get shed of that idea.
因为今晚之后,我们就金盆洗手
Because after tonight, there’ll be no more shenanigans.
你可以在日记上记下来
You can jot that down in your little diary.
1881年9月7日,詹姆斯一伙…
September 7th, 1881, the James Gang robbed one last train at Blue Cut…
在蓝切地抢劫了最后一辆火车…
从此弃恶从善
…and gave up their nightriding for good.
等等
Wait.
那你以后准备靠什么吃饭?
Well, how are you gonna make your living?
也许我会去卖♥♥鞋
Maybe I’ll sell shoes.
真不敢想象,早上起来…
I can’t believe I woke up this morning…
我还在想父亲是否会借我大衣穿…
…wondering if my daddy would loan me his overcoat…
而现在才过午夜…
…and here it is just past midnight…
我已经抢了一列火车,坐在摇椅上…
…l’ve already robbed a railroad train and I’m sitting in a rocking chair…
和独一无二的杰西·詹姆斯聊天了
…chatting with none other than Jesse James.
是啊,世界真奇妙
Yeah, it’s a wonderful world.
这是什么?
What’s this?
哦,对了
Oh, yeah.
今天早上我真的很激动
I was real agitated this morning, so I was wondering if I would know you or Frank
我在想是否能认出你或者弗兰克…
分清楚你俩谁是谁
…tell you all apart, and so I had this clipping that described you both.
所以我带了描述你们的剪报
想听听吗?
Want me to read it?
念吧
Go on.
嗯…我找一下,等等
Well… I gotta find it. Hold on.
在这里,找到了
Here. Here.
杰西·詹姆斯,家里最小的孩子
“Jesse James, the youngest, has a face as smooth and innocent as a schoolgirl.
一张脸像小姑娘一样光滑又无辜
蓝色的眼睛清澈而又明锐
The blue eyes, very clear and penetrating, are never at rest.
而且总是十分警觉
他外表高大,举止得体,善于忍♥耐…
His form is tall and graceful and capable of great endurance…
…和进取
…and great effort.
杰西快乐而鲁莽,随遇而安
Jesse is lighthearted, reckless, and devil-may-care.
他嘴上总是挂着一丝微笑…
– There’s always a smile on his lips…” – All right, all right, all right.
够了,够了…
Well, yeah, then it just… Frank, Frank, Frank. That’s nothing. And then…
然后是…弗兰克,弗兰克…
然后没了,然后…
你知道我床边放着什么吗?
You know what I got right next to my bed?
《火车劫匪》或R·W·史蒂文斯写的
Is The Train Robbers, or, A Story of the James Boys by R.W. Stevens.
《詹姆斯家小伙子的故事》
多少个夜里,在空无一人的图书馆…
I mean, many’s the night I stayed up…
我两眼通红,张着嘴巴…
…with my eyes open and my mouth open…
读着你们的故事
…just reading about your escapades in the Wide Awake Library.
那些都是扯蛋,你应该知道
They’re all lies, you know.
是,当然是
Yeah, of course they are.
如果觉得难受,就没必要一直抽烟
You don’t have to keep smoking that if it’s making you bungey.
亚历山大·富兰克林·詹姆斯
Alexander Franklin James would be in Baltimore…
听说杰西·詹姆斯被暗♥杀♥的时候…
…when he would read of the assassination of Jesse James.
应该人在巴尔的摩市
他觉得弟弟性情古怪,喜怒无常
He had spurned his younger brother for being peculiar and temperamental.
所以离开了他
但如果觉得自己再也不会见到杰西…
But once he perceived that he would never see Jesse again…
弗兰克会感到着急,丧气,不知所措
…Frank would be wrought-up, perplexed, despondent.
我哥哥已经不和我谈那档子事了
My brother and me are hardly on speaking terms these days.
我也没打算说
Well, I wasn’t gonna mention it.
你怕了吗?
Are you scared?
没有,只是有点惊讶
No, I’m just surprised a little.
它的肉不是我喜欢的那种多汁的
They ain’t as succulent as I like, the devil to clean…
但如果剥了皮,用大蒜和油来烤…
…but if a man skins them and fries them in garlic and oil…
老天,那是相当好吃
…mercy, them’s good eating.
这个,我还没饿到那个地步
Well, I never been that hungry.
我给它们取了名字
I give them names.
比如说?
Such as?
比如敌人
Such as enemies.
我给它们取了敌人的名字
I give them names of enemies.
告诉伍德和查理准备好行李
Go tell Wood and Charley to get their gatherings together.
好的
All right.
我也是吗?
Me too?
你可以留下
You can stay.
好吧
All right.

Hey.
你想要什么,啄木鸟? 没什么
– What do you want, peckerwood? – Nothing.
只是杰西让我叫你俩收拾好东西…
Except to say Jesse wants you two to gather your parts…
然后上马离开镇子
…get on your horses and get out of town.
而我留下来
And me to stick around.
喔,我可是他的表弟…
Well, whoa, I’m his cousin…
我告诉你
…l’ll have you know.
我妈妈是他爸爸的妹妹
My mama’s his daddy’s sister.
他们就是这么告诉你的,伍德?
Is that how they described it to you, Wood?
你说话最好注意点,小子
You better watch your tongue, young sapling.
凭什么就该是我出去而不是你?
Why is it me who’s gotta rattle his hocks out of town and not you, Bunny?
别激动,要我说…
Put your horns away. If I know Jess…
一定是有一些又脏又累的活…
…there’s some real nasty sad-suzie work’s gotta be done…
等着鲍勃这个呆子去干
…and Bob’s the ninny that has to do it.
是啊,肯定是这样,查理
Oh, yeah, I’m sure that’s it, Charley.
你12个小时前才认识他
You only met him 12 hours ago. He doesn’t even know your name.
他甚至连你的名字都不知道
伍德!告诉你♥爸♥,我十月会在肯塔基
Wood! You tell your daddy I’ll be in Kentucky in October.
我们可以一起去打鸟
We can hunt some birds together.
好吧
All right.
那为什么是鲍勃留下来?
So how come it’s Bob who gets to stay?
鲍勃要把我的马具搬到…
Bob’s gonna move my gear to a house down the street.
这条街前面的一座房♥子里去
看到没?
See?
我无所谓 嗯,好吧
– I don’t mind. – Yeah, well.
听起来像是冒险行动
Sounds like an adventure.
他们夜间搬到杜鲁斯特大道1017号♥…
They moved to 1017 Troost Avenue at night…
这样他们的邻居就不能看清他们
…so that the neighborhood couldn’t get a good look at them or their belongings.
或他们带来的东西
之后,鲍勃以为杰西会让他睡八小时…
Then Bob thought Jesse would give him eight hours’ sleep…
然后一大早让他走
…and a daydreaming goodbye.
但在托马斯·霍华德的房♥子里…
But with a second day in the Thomas Howard house…
住了两天后…
…Bob thought he might never go…
鲍勃觉得也许他永远都不会离开了…
也许他会成为小男孩的好脾气表哥…
…but might be brought in as a good-natured cousin to the boy…
还有芝的好帮手
…and a gentleman helper to Zee.
杰西到哪里他都跟着
He went everywhere with Jesse.
他们去了托皮卡交易所酒吧…
They made trips to the Topeka Exchange Saloon…
在那里杰西会花上60分钟细品啤酒…
…where Jesse could spend nearly 60 minutes sipping one glass of beer…
并仍然抱怨感到醉意
…and still complain about feeling tipsy.
交谈时,鲍勃几乎不发表看法
Bob would rarely vouchsafe his opinions as they talked.
如果被问到,他通常会不安和微笑
If spoken to, he would fidget and grin.
如果杰西在和别人商谈
If Jesse palavered with another person, Bob secretaried their dialogue…
鲍勃会在一旁仔细观察…
注意他声调的变化,每个手势
…getting each inflection, reading every gesture and tic…
以及面部肌肉的抽搐…
好像是在为一个逃犯撰写传记…
…as if he wanted to compose a biography of the outlaw…
又好像只在为模仿他做准备
…or as if he were preparing an impersonation.
走开
Go away.
过去没人能悄悄靠近杰西·詹姆斯
Used to be couldn’t no one sneak up on Jesse James.
你觉得现在呢?
Now you think otherwise?
我也从没见过你不带枪
I ain’t never seen you without your guns, neither.
我想不通
I can’t figure it out.
你是想变得像我…
Do you wanna be like me…
还是想取代我?
…or do you wanna be me?
我只是开玩笑,没别的意思
I’m just making fun, is all.
第二天鲍勃就被热忱的送走了…
Bob was sent away cordially the next day…
杰西向他告了别…
…with a goodbye from Jesse…
但芝却没有礼节性的同他告别
…but nothing from Zee beyond what good manners demanded.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!