to cast some supplemental light on the story of the jack.
古老的大教堂往往有令人惊叹的艺术杰作
The old cathedrals often have sublime artworks hidden away
藏在最深的角落里 只有神能看见
in the darkest corners for only God to see
或是叫上背后的建筑师才能得以一见
or whatever one feels like calling the great architect behind it all.
杀人亦如此
The same goes for murder.
我提到大教堂时
When I say cathedrals
它首先就是指我们崇尚的哥特式建筑
it is first and foremost the gothic buildings we admire.
在这里 优雅的尖形拱顶代替了之前
Here elegant, pointed arches have replaced the earlier
更加原始的圆形拱顶
more primitive rounded arches.
工程的艺术首先就是静力学
The art of engineering is first and foremost about statics
因此建筑才能在各种力的作用下
that is so things remain standing in spite of
屹立不倒
the various forces that impact the buildings.
用这种方式 尖形拱顶创造出一种可能性
In this way, the pointed arch created a possibility to build
使建筑更高 能更好地采光
much higher and with much more light
但最重要的就是需要更少的材料
but most importantly with less use of material.
我经常说 材料造就伟业
I often say that the material does the work.
换句话说 材料有自己的性子
In other words it has a kind of will of its own
遵循它 便能产生
and by following it, the result will be
最精巧的作品
the most exquisite.
所以这里的材料就是千斤顶
So the material was the jack
而它自己跳到了女人的脸上
and it jumped into the lady’s face on its own.
艺术是各种各样的
Art is many things.
在一堆蹩脚的借口中
Very convenient and unusual
非常方便 也不同寻常
in the pile of bad excuses.
不过这些无论如何都没什么价值
But all of that is of no interest whatsoever
除非你是个工程师
unless you’re an engineer.
我是个工程师
I am an engineer.
我母亲一直觉得成为一个工程师
My mother was of the opinion that becoming an engineer
能挣到更多的钱
was the more financially viable choice
但我真正的伟大梦想是成为一个建筑师
but my really big dream was to become an architect.
就在女人和千斤顶出现之前
Right before the lady and the jack
我买♥♥了一批建筑工具
I purchased a building lot
鉴于收到一笔可观的遗产
and since I was my own developer
我自己就是开放商
due to a substantial inheritance
没有人能阻止我
no one could keep me from drawing up
画属于我自己的房♥子的蓝图
my own plans for my own house.
工程师还是建筑师
Engineer or architect
我看到的是一个前程似锦的强迫症患者
what I see is an OCD patient in full bloom.
强迫症者 杰克
Ordnungszwang Jack
用了合适的德语词汇说
to use a good German word.
是 或许这怎样都是事实
Yes, perhaps, it is in any case true
我自小就容易冲动
that I suffered from compulsions as a child.
我对于整洁完全是歇斯底里
I was completely hysterical about cleaning
我难以忍♥受一间屋子
and could never leave a room that wasn’t
不在完美整齐的状态
perfectly neat and clean.
这条标准在小型冷冻间
A standard that was difficult to maintain
是很难维持的
in the walk-in freezer.
小型冷冻间
The walk-in freezer?
前景大道上的冷冻间
The walk-in freezer on Prospect Avenue.
路标已经彻底坏了
The sign has been broken for forever
所以没人知道那条街到底叫什么
so no one really knew what the name of the street was.
我从冷冻间的
I bought the pizzas from the former owner
前主人那儿买♥♥过披萨
of the walk-in freezer.
他一直声称这是个划算的买♥♥卖♥♥
He claimed it was a great deal
不过当然了 我从来没卖♥♥掉过它们
but of course I never managed to sell them
所以对我而言有点多
so it all became too much for me.
我只吃了一块那难吃的披萨
I only ate one of those shitty pizzas.
披萨 披萨
Pizza, pizza!
这里有扇通往另外一个房♥间的门
And then there was a door to another room
我从没打开来过
which I never managed to open.
一个神经质 有强迫症
A fucking neurotic riddled with obsessive compulsions
还有可悲的远大理想
and a pathetic dream of something greater.
那警♥察♥呢
And what about the police?
我想他们经常会来转转
I imagine they started coming around a lot.
不 算我幸运吧
No, call it luck if you will.
我试过把她的车藏起来
I had attempted to hide her car..
不过让我很生气的是
…but to my great annoyance
从主路上你还是可以瞥见它
you could still catch a glimpse of it from the main road.
我都没意识到 停车的地点
You know, without realizing where I had parked the car
选的实在是太天才了
was a stroke of genius.
你看 小溪划分了州界
You see, the small brook defines the state border
而州界两边的当地警♥察♥
and the local police, per definition
永远不往州界另一边看
can’t see across state lines.
那儿不是他们的辖区
It’s not their jurisdiction.
所以我从没被警♥察♥传讯过
So I had no inquiries from the police.
顺便一说 我都不知道
And by the way, I don’t even know if Sonny
桑尼有没有跟警♥察♥说起过我
had told them about me.
我们之后碰过几次面
We met up quite a few times since
但是谁都没提起过这事
but never spoke of it.
2号♥事件
等一下
Hang on.
你好
Hi.
您是哪位
Who are you?
警♥察♥
Police.
发生什么事了吗
Did something happen?
不 不 没有
Oh, no, no, no
所幸还没发生什么事
luckily nothing exactly has happened as of yet.
我知道您喜欢
I understand that you are fond of
在卡尔森超♥市♥购物
shopping at Carlson’s Supermarket.
怎么了 超♥市♥发生了什么事了吗
Why? Did something happen at Carlson’s?
没有 但是我们想 防止
No, uh, however we’d like to, uh, prevent
不好的事情发生在超♥市♥附近
things from happening to businesses in the vicinity
比如卡尔森超♥市♥
like Carlson’s Supermarket.
好吧 那我 我能进去吗
Yeah, may… may, may I come in?
能给我看看警徽吗
I’d like to see a police badge.
我要是有早就给你看了
So would I.
不幸的是
Unfortunately, that today
今天出了点问题
is going to be a bit of a problem.
现在 咳
Now, ahem..
我从你的表情能感觉到
…I can tell by your expression
你觉得事情不太妙
that you think it’s a bad thing
因为我身上没有警徽
that I don’t have my police badge on me.
可不是吗
Right.
其实 我就是到这来告诉你
Well, I’m here to tell you that
对于警局来说
it’s a, it’s a good thing..
这不是什么坏事
…for the police department
我也不想跟你说谎 好吧
and I’m not going to lie to you, okay?
我个人正好也觉得
It also happens to be a good thing for me
不是什么坏事
on a personal level. Yeah.
你看啊
You see my… my badge
我的警徽在工匠那里
it’s, uh, at the silversmith.
嗯对 在工匠那里
Yeah, it’s at the, the silversmith.
他们正在给它抛光
They’re… they’re shining it up and, ah..
顺便多加几条印♥章♥
…adding a few additional citations to it.
我升职了
I’ve been promoted.
– 这样啊 – 是的
– Okay. – Right.
所以现在你是
So now you’re..
那所以你现在是什么
Now… now what are you?
就是 是什么职位
Like, what’s your, what’s your rank now?
我们不准随意谈这个
We’re not at liberty to discuss that.
呃 这关系到机密信息
Ah, that’s considered classified information.
不过我倒可以很负责任地说
However, I think this is safe to say that
升的职位
it’s a considerable..
还不小
…leap up the ladder.
– 呃 那可以让我 – 不行
– Uh, ahem, now may I… – No.
没警徽怎么都不行
Not without a badge.
棒极了 棒极了 太棒了
Bravo, bravo, bravo, that’s excellent.
我们就是想听到这样的回答
That’s exactly just the type of response we like to see.
– 你说不给进 那我就完成任务了 – 好吧
– You say no, that makes my day. – Right.
当然了 每个人都在担心安全问题
Of course, everybody’s always talking about security
但实际上又有多少人做出任何举措呢
but what… what is actually anybody doing about it?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!