I assure you it won’t.
谢谢 先生 我还有更多的发现和您分享
Thank you, sir. But I have much more to share with you.
如我所说
As I told you,
这封信只包含了一小部分
the letter only contained a small sampling of my discoveries.
我甚至建立了一个函数
You’ll see I have even found a function
恰好代表了 以无穷级数的形式代表的
which exactly represents the number of prime numbers less than X
小于X的质数
in the form of an infinite series.
– 是吗 – 是的
– Exactly? – Yes.
我想如果我们公布了
I thought if we were going to publish,
应该是里程碑式的发现
it should be something, uh, ground-breaking.

This is
完全没有料到
most unexpected.
哈代 这会耗尽一生啊
Hardy. This will take a lifetime.
或许两生
Maybe two.
看到你如此自鸣得意
It’s quite alarming to
真是令人发怵啊
see you so thoroughly pleased with yourself.
跟这些笔记本没关系 对吧
Can’t have anything to do with these notebooks, can it?
你大可花余生去证明这里面一半的公式
You could spend the rest of your life trying to prove half of it
那样你就不会有任何独创性发现了
and never have another original idea of your own.
伯蒂
Bertie.
如果用逻辑我能证明
If I could prove, by logic,
你将在五分钟内死去
that you are gonna die in five minutes,
我会很遗憾
I’d be sorry,
但在证明中得到的快乐
but my sorrow would be very much mitigated
会使我的悲伤减轻
by the pleasure in the proof.
也许你能得偿所愿 把半个欧洲搞得天翻地覆
Might get your wish granted with half the Continent up in flames
而老一派还是喜欢掌控一切
and old men like that running the show.

No.
不 你就是因为担心他会比你
No, you’re just a bit sore because
先出现在上面 有点嫉妒罢了
you’re worried he’ll be up there before you are.
我感觉有个黑面孔将永远挂在墙上
Hmm, I doubt a dark face will ever grace these walls,
更别说成为院士了
let alone become a Fellow.
拉马努金 这里
Ramanujan! Over here!
来吧 坐我们旁边
Come over, sit with us.
欢迎来到食堂
Welcome to Hall.
– 我是钱德拉·马哈拉诺比斯 – 你好
– I’m Chandra Mahalanobis. – Hello.
这是安德鲁·哈特利
And this is Andrew Hartley.
我是拉马努金
I am Ramanujan.
大家都知道你的大名 伙计
Well, everyone knows who you are, mate.
听说你解出了素数定理
Word’s out you’ve taken on the prime number theorem.
像他们邀请你来这种事 是很特殊的
It is quite extraordinary, them bringing you here like this.
是一种荣誉
Such an honor.
这有别的印度人么
There are other Indians?
有几个 你是来自南部的吗
A few. You’re from the South?
我来自加尔各答
Calcutta myself.
让你吓了一跳吧
This must be quite a shock for you.
其实 你和他有很多共同点
Truth is, you’ve more in common than you think.
他父亲是老师 和三一学院没有一点关系
His father was a schoolteacher. Not exactly Trinity stock.
哈代完全是靠自己的努力
Hardy’s earned it on his own merits.
或许这是他看好你的原因
It’s probably why he’s taken to you.
他有妻子吗
Does he have a wife?
没有
No.
用别人的话说 他娶了工作为妻
He’s married to his work, as they say.
那现在等于你嫁给他了
I suppose that means you now.
别 他是素食者
Stop. He’s a vegetarian.
很抱歉
Very sorry.
马铃薯 先生
Potatoes, sir.
有什么区别吗 是用猪油做的
How’s that any better? The potatoes are cooked in lard.
– 我很抱歉 – 没事
– I’m so sorry. – Not at all.
但… 我该走了
But… But I think I will go.
不久之后见
I hope to see you soon.
拉马努金
Ramanujan.
你晚餐吃得好吗
Did you have a good dinner?
羊肉味道很好
They make a fine mutton.
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
很美味
Delicious.
那你的房♥间呢
And your… Your rooms?
满意吗
Satisfactory?
我希望你一切都好
I want everything to be to your advantage
这样我们的效率就能更高
so that we can be as productive as possible.
谢谢您 先生
Thank you, sir.
非常棒的论文
Very nice paper.
好…
Well…
好好利用
Use it wisely.
那就晚安了
Well, I’ll say good night, then.
好了 现在
All right. Now…
你在听讲么
You. Are you following this?
是的 先生 很激动
Yes, sir. Most excitedly.
但你什么笔记都没做
But you don’t appear to be taking any notes.
你有什么想法要提的吗
Is there something you’d like to contribute?
那好 你来
Well, come on, then.
上来
Come on!
给你粉笔
You’ll need the chalk.
但我还没有完全证明
But I… I hadn’t completed that proof.
那你怎么知道的
How do you know?
我不知道 就这么写下来了
I don’t know. I just do.
先生们 我们的时间到了
Well, gentlemen, it appears that our time is up.
谢谢你们的专注
Thank you for your attention.
除了你
Not you.
印度佬 你给我记住
Little wog, let me tell you something.
别在我的课上耍花招
You don’t pull a stunt like that in my class.
你不属于这里 你可以去和哈代老师告状
You don’t belong here and you can tell your Master Hardy
这话是我说的 现在 滚出去
I said as much! Now, get out!
我的圣神之绳
My sacred thread.
用来驱除邪恶的灵魂
It’s to help ward off evil spirits.
和霍华德先生相处得怎么样
How did it work with Mr. Howard?
抱歉 先生
I’m sorry, sir.
我太激动了
I got too excited.
他的课上你别说话就行了
Not a word often associated with his lectures.
你是怎么知道这些定理的
How did you know that theorem?
就在我脑子里的
It came to me.
哈代先生 我不太明白为什么
Mr. Hardy, I don’t understand why we waste our time
我们要浪费时间去证明
doing all these proofs.
我有这些公式
I have the formulas.
我能理解你的公式
It’s not that I can’t see what you’ve claimed.
只是不确定 你是如何得到这些结果
It’s that I’m not sure that you know how you got there
换句话说 这些公式都是对的
or, indeed, that your claims are correct.
还有一些细节…
There are subtleties which…
但这些都是对的 先生
But they are right, sir.
我还有更多的新想法
I have more important new ideas.
是 但光有直觉是不够的 必须做出解释
Yes, but intuition is not enough. It has to be held accountable.
谦虚一点对你会很有帮助
And a little humility would go a long way.
你觉得为什么他们不想我们成功呢
Why do you think they want us to fail?
因为我是印度人
Because I am Indian.
对 有这方面的原因
Well, yeah, there is that.
但还因为 我们和他们唱反调
But also because of what we represent.
欧拉和雅克比 他们是谁
Now, Euler and Jacobi. Who are they?
数学家
Mathematicians.
对你来说只是两个名字
Just names to you.
欧拉是十八世纪最高产的数学家
Euler was the most productive mathematician of the 18th century.
他的大部分成就都是失明后完成的
Most of his work done after he was blind.
雅克比 像你一样 出生卑微
Jacobi, like you, was snatched from obscurity,
却几乎和欧拉一样成就非凡
and was almost as impressive as Euler.
现在 我认为你和他们是一个层次的
Now, I think you are in their class.
他们和你有共同之处 有一种构建之爱
What they had in common, what I see in you, is a love of form.
透过你的笔记散发出来
It’s all through your notebooks.
那我问问你
Let me ask you something.
你为什么要写这个
Why do you do it, any of this?
因为我看见它了 我必须写
Because I have to. I see it.
和欧拉一样 为了自己而构建
Like Euler. Form for its own sake.
为自己而造的艺术品

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!