Don’t let Howard and his lot win.
所以 哈代 你也有一场仗要打
So, you see, Hardy, you, too, have a war to fight.
千万不要放弃拉马努金
Just don’t let it be with Ramanujan.
就这样
So, there you have it.
他把这个留个你自己看
He left this for you to see for yourself.
你对质数的理论是错的
Your theorem on primes is wrong.
我没错 这不可能
It’s not. It can’t be.
你的理论确实很有意思
It’s rather interesting, really.
如果你把质数的近似值
If you compare the prime number approximation
与质数个数对比
with the actual number of primes,
得出的结果是什么
the calculation tells us what?
结果会一直增长
It always moves higher.
即使数值高达一千 一百万
Even at a thousand? A million?
无穷大也对吗
A billion trillion?
是吗
Yes?
你怎么证明
Where is the proof?
我给你证明了 我证明了
I gave it to you. It proves it.
你没有 无论你感觉它有多么正确
No, because however intuitively obvious it may seem,
在实际计算中 它就是错的
when subject to calculation, it fails.
利特尔伍德先生代入了一个数字
Mr. Littlewood has calculated a number
结果显示 和实际质数的个数相比
and it shows that your theorem will sometimes predict less,
用你的理论个数会少 而不是多
not more, than the actual number of primes.
你的理论是错的
Your theorem is wrong.
这也是在你能相信我 并做好证明之前
And this is why we cannot publish anymore
我们不能随意公布的原因
until you finally trust me on this business of proofs.
直觉只能帮你到这里
Intuition can only carry you so far.
住口
Stop!
我听不下去了
I… I can’t hear this anymore.
直觉
Intuition?
你说这个词的语气 就好像它不值一提
You say this word as if it is nothing.
你觉得这一切都是直觉吗 我只凭直觉吗
Is that all it is to you? All that I am?
抱歉 我不太明白你的意思
Look, I’m sorry. Am I… I’m missing something.
你从来就没把我放在眼里
You’ve… You’ve never even seen me,
更不用说了解我
let alone know me.
你是一个没有信仰的人
You… You are a man of no faith!
你这里连照片都没有
I don’t see pictures of anyone here!
连家人都没有 你到底是谁 哈代先生
Not even family! Who are you, Mr. Hardy?
你怎么敢…
How dare you…
你居然对我这样品头论足
How dare you judge me?
但你就是这么对我的 你不觉得吗
But it is you who does of me! Don’t you see?

No.
说实话 我没这么觉得
Quite frankly, I don’t!
你知道我为来这 牺牲了多少吗
Don’t you know what I’ve given up to be here?
我一无所有了
I have nothing.
你都看不到我脸上的伤吗
Do you even see the bruises on my face?
我有一个妻子 哈代先生
I have a wife, Mr. Hardy.
终于
At last.
拉马努金 是你吗
Ramanujan? Is that you?
哈代先生
Mr. Hardy.
你生病了
You’re not well?
不严重
Nothing serious.
你确定
Sure?
我正准备去莱恩图书馆
I’m just off to the Wren.
信不信
Believe it or not,
如果你能想办法绕过那些病床
if you can find your way round the beds,
还是可以在那里找到书的
there are still some books there.
你留下的那些证明
Those proofs you left…
棒极了
Wonderful.
真的棒极了
Really wonderful.
所以我们可以再次开工了吗
So, we start work again?
明天早上
Tomorrow morning?
– 好的 先生 – 很好
– Yes, sir. – Good.
向您美丽的妻子表达我的敬意
My regards to your fine wife.
十分感谢
Thank you so much.
再见 先生们
Good day, gentlemen.
节哀 先生
I’m very sorry, sir.
他是个很棒的年轻人
He was a fine young man.
那一批中最优秀的
Best… best of his year.
牺牲的都是好小伙
They were all fine young men.
他们在这里学了那么多知识
All the knowledge they gained here.
却为了争一点土地而牺牲
Sacrificed for a few yards of land.
这就是胜利的代价 不是吗
They say it’s the price of victory. Hmm?
过来 伯蒂
Come, Bertie.
我很担心拉马努金
I’m worried about Ramanujan.
为什么
Why?
他不像平时的他
Well, he doesn’t seem quite himself.
你对平时的他又了解多少呢
What would you know about that?
我承认 非常少
Very little, I admit.
但是我认为他现在状态不好 似乎变了
But I don’t think he’s well. He seems to have changed.
前几天夜里 我们大吵了一架
We had a terrible row the other night
主要是谈到直觉时 他转头就走了
about intuition, of all things, and he stormed out.
第二天 他突然写出了一堆完美的证明
And then a day later he produces these wonderful proofs.
哈罗德 你成功了
Well, Harold, you’ve got your way.
你什么意思
How do you mean?
你和你那要了命的严谨
You and your damned rigor
终于把他的意志击垮了
has finally broken his spirits.
我警告过你 要给他自♥由♥
I warned you to let him run.
他又不是该死的赛马
Yeah, well, he’s not a bloody racehorse.
的确不是
No, he’s not.
但你根本就没把他当人看
But as you’ve hardly treated him as a human being, I suppose…
我想把他当成一匹马还更好点
Well, I suppose a horse isn’t a bad place to start.
主任 我能跟你谈谈吗
Major, can I have a word?
我没时间跟你说话
I don’t have time for you!
整数拆分
Partitions!
是关于拉马努金的
It’s Ramanujan.
那个毒瘤
The gall.
放肆的自大狂
The unbridled arrogance.
没有你 他是无法成功的
He won’t be able to do it without you.
有没有我他都不会成功的
He won’t be able to do it at all.
我看了你的整数拆分公式
I’ve been going over your work on partitions.
在我看来 你马上就要有巨大的突破了
Seems to me you’re on the verge of a major breakthrough.
现在你既然开始接受一些苛刻的条件
So now you’ve begun to embrace some proper rigor…
你应该见见麦克马洪主任
I think you should meet Major MacMahon.
他是学校中组合数学的先驱
He’s the leader in combinatorics at the University and…
碰巧也是你最高调的反对者之一
Also happens to be one of your most vocal opponents.
他说整数拆分不可能有公式
He says partitions can’t be done.
特别是不可能被你这样的人所发现
Especially by the likes of you.
那他就等着瞧吧
Then he better start counting very high.
进来之后 后果自负
Enter at your own risk!
我正等着你呢
I’ve been waiting for you.
58639的平方根 快说
Square root of 58,639? Now!
242.
后面呢
242 what?
点1549090
Point 1549090.
没错 小菜一碟 考考我
Yes, child’s play. Try me.
问吧
Go on.
同一个数字 求二次方
Same number squared.
3,438,532,321.
赢啦
Ha! Thrashed ya!
组合数学 我就是干这个的
Combinatorics, that’s what I do.
其实就是掷骰子
Glorified dice throwing.
你们俩真是大胆啊
Bloody nerve of you both.
你的质数理论错了
You fail on primes,
所以你想换个方向 来搞整数拆分吗
then you think you can just turn round and crack partitions?
我告诉你 不可能的
Can’t be done, I’m telling you.
特别是你 不可能
Especially not by you.
可以的
It can.
我会算出来
And I will.
不 是我会
No, I will.
用手算
By hand.
用漫长且痛苦的加法
By slow and painful addition,
到时候你们就会知道

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!