Only imagine it is with colors you cannot see.
那有什么用呢
What good is that?
对你来说可能不好看 但对我来说这就是一切
Not much for you, I’m afraid. But for me it is everything.
也许会有其他人 他们也能看到
Maybe there is someone else who can
并理解它们
see and understand it as well.
对他们来说 这个会很重要
And for them it will be important.
你遇到他们了吗
Have you met them?
没 还没有
No. Not yet.
除了看不到的颜色 我还想了解更多
I want to understand more than just colors I can’t see.
你看到了什么
What do you see?
– 沙 – 是的
– Sand. – Yes.
想像下 如果凑近看 可以看到每颗砂砾
Imagine, if we could look so closely, we could see each grain,
一颗一颗
each particle.
想想看 万事万物都有规可循
You see, there are… There are patterns in everything.
光里的颜色
The color in light.
水面的反射
The reflections on water.
在数学中 这些规律以不可思议的
In maths, these patterns reveal themselves
形式展现出来
in the most incredible form.
真的非常美
It’s quite beautiful.
你该到床上来睡
You should sleep in the bed.

Amma.
我和老板成了好朋友
I have made a friend in my boss.
他想在马德拉斯市以外
He’s going to find somebody
找到能看懂那些数字的人
to understand my work outside Madras.
在印度以外
Outside India.
真是荣幸
That is an honor.
你在胡说什么
What nonsense are you talking?
妈 他看到了我的价值
Amma, he sees something in me.
他肯定看得够多的 你都不回家
He surely sees enough of you. You’re never here at home.
坎纳 我们是婆罗门
Kanna, we are Brahmins.
是不允许横越大海的
It is forbidden to cross the seas.
拉马努金
Ramanujan?
拉马努金 听我说
Ramanujan, listen to me.
这些成果非常重要 不该就这样埋没
This work is too important to die with you.
它必须被公之于众
It must be published.
如果你一个印度人
If you, an Indian,
利用这些数学公式走到了顶峰
are at the pinnacle with these formulas,
那即便是征服了我们的英国人
then the British, even while they subjugate us,
也必须承认 我们的智慧能与他们匹敌
must recognize that our brightest matches theirs.
安娜 求你了
Anna, please.
我去不了
I can’t.
你这些成果 活到现在只有你自己明白
You have been alone in your mind your whole life.
现在人们有机会了解你了
Now other people have the chance to understand you.
不是只有你的纳马吉里
Not just your Namagiri.
想想吧
Imagine.
我做的一切都是想象
All I do is imagine.
首先的两封信给…
These first two letters…
贝克
Baker.
霍布森
Hobson.
这是谁
And who’s this?
那个是哈代 他是真的很厉害
Oh, that’s, er… That’s Hardy. He’s a real pot stirrer.
他凭一己之力改革了
You know, he single-handedly reformed
剑桥荣誉学位考核制度
the entire Tripos examination system.
改写了持续百年的历史
Turned over hundreds of years of history.
他是你们要找的人
He’s your man.
三一学院啊
Trinity, eh?
校友都是国王啊 首相啊
Kings, prime ministers.
艾萨克·牛顿 拜伦
Isaac Newton. Byron.
现在还可能是你
Now perhaps even you.
欧洲大♥陆♥这边有什么新闻吗
Trouble on the Continent?
就快有了
There will be.
我们在特威克纳姆以一分之差战胜了法国佬
We beat the Frogs by a goal at Twickenham.
我是指巴尔干半岛
I meant in the Balkans.
啊 巴尔干半岛啊
Ah, the Balkans.
你好像收到了一封从那寄来的信
You’ve got one there seems particularly well traveled.
你觉得这又是一场恶作剧吗
Do you think it’s another hoax?
“请允许我介绍一下自己
“I beg to introduce myself
我是一名会计部的职员”
as a clerk in the Accounts Department.”
– 这次又是什么 – 真是令人印象深刻
– What this time? – Quite impressive, really.
有人真是不怕麻烦啊
Someone’s gone to a lot of trouble.
一个印度职员
A Hindu clerk!
声称自己可以证明
And who claims he can give meaning
伽玛函数的负值有意义
to the negative values of the gamma function.
– 又是利特尔伍德吗 – 肯定啊
– Littlewood? – Without doubt.
你知道吗 利特尔伍德
You know, Littlewood,
单单这一年 我就收到过
this year alone, I’ve received correspondence
很多信件
from those who profess
声称证明了金字塔寓言之谜
to prove the prophetic wisdom of the Pyramids,
犹太人贤士议定书的启示
the revelations of the Elders of Zion,
以及培根可能是
and the cryptograms, which Bacon supposedly buried
莎士比亚的枪手之谜
within the plays of the so-called Shakespeare.
可一位来自马德拉斯 没接受过教育的印度职工
But a letter from an ill-educated Indian clerk in Madras,
写信挑战我对连续级数的见解
challenging assertions I made in the tracts series,
真令人吃惊
really takes the biscuit.
这我得插一句 我有过相同的见解
Well, I have to say, I’ve made similar assertions myself.
那你就是承认了吗
So you admit it?
但这都是三年前的事了
But this was three years ago.
不 不 不 我是在说那封信
No, no, no. I’m talking about the letter.
写得真精彩啊
Bloody brilliant, I thought.
我不知道你怎么搞到邮戳的
I don’t know where you got the postmark.
差点就骗到我了
Almost had me fooled.
我不知道你在说什么
I simply don’t know what you’re talking about.
别这样 我又不傻
Oh, come on. I’m not a complete idiot.
我不知道怎么和你这个蠢货说清楚
I don’t know how to get this into your thick skull,
但无论你在说什么
but whatever it is you’re talking about,
都和我没关系
I’m simply not involved.
打球
Play.
先生
Sir.
你错过了晚餐
You’ve missed Hall.
不饿
Not hungry.
我要告诉你们 战争肯定要来临了
I tell you, there is a war coming, no doubt about it.
因为我们的领导者愚蠢 懦弱 胆小
Because we are being led like mindless, spineless sheep
而且没有人愿意提出这一点来
and no one bothers to question any of it.
战争就要来了 真的 一触即发
It’s coming, all right. You can smell it.
你和哈迪一样偏执
You’re as paranoid as Hardy.
恕我直言 伯蒂 你都没法和我们比
With all due respect, Bertie, you couldn’t hold a candle.
利特尔伍德 能借一步说话吗
Littlewood, could I have a word?
当然可以
Yes, of course.
积分
Integrals.
无穷级数
Infinite series.
上帝才知道还有什么
God knows what else.
不好意思
Oh, excuse me.
我老忘记你是无神论者
I always forget you don’t believe in a supreme being.
没错
Right.
如果这个小伙子的证明是正确的
If this chap turns out to be genuine,
你可能得重新思考了
you might have to reconsider.
他肯定是对的
He must be genuine.
谁会有发现这些的想象力呢
Who would have the imagination to invent all that?
你之前觉得是我 真让我受宠若惊
Well, I’m rather flattered you thought I did.
这两个无穷级数更有趣
These two infinite series are the more intriguing.
没错 他们完全战胜了我
Yeah. They defeated me completely.
我从来没见过这些
I’ve never seen anything like them.
这很让人困惑
Well, it’s deceptive.
我倒是会压这个超几何级数
I’ll wager the hypergeometric series.
我们伟大的利特尔伍德被难住了
Our great Littlewood, stumped.
他可是霍布斯级的
He’s Hobbs class, I’d say.
“因为毫无经验
“Being inexperienced,
我非常重视您给我的意见
I would very highly value any advice you give me.
此致 S.拉马努金”
Yours truly, S. Ramanujan.”
这个S代表什么
What does the “S” Stand for?
你可以亲自问他

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!