You can ask him yourself.
你打算邀请他来这吗
You intend to invite him here?
不 不 不
Well, no, no, no, no, no.
让他在马德拉斯的办公室终老不是更好吗
Much better, let him rot away in his office in Madras, hmm?
啊 拉马努金先生
Ah, Mr. Ramanujan.
好像有你的一封信
There seems to be a letter for you.
邮戳上是英国剑桥大学
Postmarked England. Cambridge, England.
来自G.H.哈代先生
From a Mr. G. H. Hardy.
我以前常来这边看船出海
I used to come here and watch the boats leaving.
我总是在想 成为其中一员会是什么样子
I always wondered what it would be like to be on one of them.
我都到这来了 你却说要出海
I’m finally here and you talk of crossing the sea?
我们是不允许出海的
It is forbidden for us.
我不明白
I don’t understand.
如果你走了 一切都会变的
If you go, it will never be the same.
这里不是加尔各答或孟买♥♥
This is not Calcutta or Bombay.
没人会娶我们的孩子 甚至没人会和我们说话
No one will marry our children. No one will even talk to us!
那我们就搬去加尔各答或孟买♥♥
Then we will move to Calcutta or Bombay.
再说 除了你 我不想和任何人说话
Besides, I don’t want to talk to anyone but you.
你答应我 只要你有能力了 就来接我
Do you promise to bring me as soon as you are able?
好的
Yes.
那我们就这么办吧
Then that is what we will do.
你确定想让我剪吗
Are you sure you want me to do it?
剪吧
Cut it.
你剪掉了头发
You cut your hair.
你做了什么
What have you done?
妈妈 我决定去英国
Amma, I’ve decided to go to England.
你自己想去
Did you?
还是她劝你去的
Or did she convince you?
所以你们要一起走吗
So that both of you could run away together? Huh?
这都是她干的好事吗
This is all her doing.
她想一个人霸占你
She wants you all to herself.
我走了之后 你们要互相照顾
Please look after each other while I’m gone.
别忘了祈祷
Never forget your prayers.
如果你还想回来的话
You cannot pollute yourself with their food,
就别被他们的食物玷污了
if you ever want to come back.
别忘了我
Don’t forget me.
我绝不会的
I could never.
我发誓
I promise.
好了 我们走吧
Well, off we go.
六千英里 你敢想吗
6,000 miles. Can you imagine?
我知道更大的数
I’ve known larger numbers.
别让这新闻毁了你和那个印度人见面的日子
Don’t let it ruin your big day with Gunga Din.
我知道这肯定不会爆发战争
I’m sure it won’t mean war.
到处都是这种破新闻
All this Din, Din, Din.
你是拉马努金吗 真巧啊
Are you Ramanujan, by chance?
非常巧
Very much by chance.
你好 不好意思
Hello. Sorry.
我是约翰·利特尔伍德 很荣幸见到你
John Littlewood. Such a pleasure.
我正准备去见你
I was just on my way to meet you.
要不一起吧
Well, shall we go together?
没错
Yes.
意料之中
The intended effect.
别被吓到了
Don’t be intimidated.
伟大的学识总是来源于微小的发现
Great knowledge often comes from the humblest of origins.
这边请
Come along.
你看到那棵树了吗
You see that sapling?
牛顿就是坐在那棵树下面
That’s the very tree under which Newton sat,
一个苹果掉在他的头上
when the apple dropped on his head
然后他发现了万有引力
and he invented gravity.
这边请 我们已经期待你好久了
This way. We’ve been anticipating your arrival for some time.
这简直就是犯罪
Well, I think it’s criminal.
我们花了很多钱
I mean, we bring these Indians over
请一个印度人过来 看看都发生了什么
at great expense and look what happens.
好吧 这个叫拉金还是什么的小伙子
Yeah, well, it’s not just that this chap is Ramjin,
和他是印度人没关系吧
whatever his name is, is Indian.
毕竟 我们有很多印度学生的
After all, we do have Indian students here.
没受过教育的还是第一个
Just not ones with no education to speak of.
真丢脸
It’s a disgrace.
拉马努金是一个特例
Ramanujan is a special case.
凭什么呢
Uh, why is that, exactly?
我们都读了他的信
We’ve all read his letter.
都没有证据
There are no proofs.
我们就要相信他说的话了吗
Are we just supposed to take him at his word?

No.
你要相信我的话
You’re to take him at mine.
先生们 改变
Change, gentlemen.
是一件美好的事 大胆面对吧
It’s a wonderful thing. Embrace it.
安静是尊重的标志
Take it as a sign of respect to quieten this lot.
哈代先生在这里吗
Is Mr. Hardy here?
能见到他真是太激动了
I’m most excited to meet him.
他一定是个善良的人 才会邀请我过来
He must be a very kind man to bring me all this way.
说曹操曹操就到
Ah. Speak of the devil.
你好
Hello.
我是哈代
I’m Hardy.
欢迎来到三一学院 拉马努金先生
Welcome to Trinity, Mr. Ramanujan.
我的发音正确吗
Am I pronouncing that properly?
可以的
Yes, sir.
很完美
Perfectly.
很荣幸 先生
It’s an honor, sir.
谢谢
Thank you.
我非常期待开始我们的工作
I very much look forward to beginning our work.
那么 明早十点 在我办公室 不见不散
So, tomorrow, 10:00, my rooms. I look forward to it.
我说错话了么
Did I say something wrong?
别担心
Don’t worry.
你跟着我就好了
I’ll look out for you.
前提是你得相信他真的存在
That’s if you believe he actually exists.
有人猜测 利特尔伍德先生是
You see, there’s speculation that Mr. Littlewood here
哈代凭空想象出来的
is merely a figment of Hardy’s imagination.
如果他出差错了 也会怪别人
If he ever makes a mistake, he’ll have someone else to blame.
拉马努金 伯特兰·罗素
Ramanujan, Bertrand Russell.
欢迎来到我们这小避难所
Welcome to our little asylum.
你好
Hello.
走吧
Come along, come along.
别踩草坪
Get off the grass!
只有院士才能踩
It’s for Fellows only!
不好意思 先生 你能告诉我怎么去新庭院吗
Excuse me, sir. Could you direct me to New Court?
– 找哈代先生 – 走那儿
– To Mr. Hardy – Through there.
你额头上有东西
You have something on your forehead.
谢谢
Oh. Thank you.
那种鞋子有些磨脚
The shoes, they hurt my feet.
抱歉我迟到了
Sorry I’m late.
你看 你确实存在
You see, you do exist.

Yes.
对了
Right.
拉马努金 我们决定为了大家着想
Ramanujan, we’ve decided that for the good of everybody
你应该去听些课
you should attend some lectures.
但我来这是为了公之于众的
But I’m here to publish.
对 等到合适的时间就行
Yes. All in good time, I hope.
但首先 我们需要你证明自己的成果
But first we need proofs of your work.
没什么好担心的
It’s really nothing to worry about.
这就是走个过场
It’s simply a question of
让大家更形式化地了解你
acquainting you with the more formal methods
这样有利于未来的合作
that will benefit our future work together.
我们需要用通用语言
I mean, we need a common language.
你不会希望我们用泰米尔语交谈吧
You wouldn’t expect us to converse with you in Tamil.
不 但你们希望我讲英语
No. But you expect me to speak English.
没错
Quite.
所以你会有充足的时间准备
So, there will be plenty of time for publishing.
抱歉 但恕我直言 别人怎么会知道呢
I’m sorry, but with all humility, how does anyone know that?
我不想要这些公式做我的陪葬品
I don’t want this to die with me.
我保证不会的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!