你打算去哪里
Where will you go?
一路奔向牛津
Oh, I’ll go down the road to Oxford.
我还会等着他们求我回来呢
And I’ll wait for them to beg to have me back here.
再见 哈罗德
Good-bye, Harold.
再见 伯蒂
Bye, Bertie.
他没能把哈代一起带走太可惜了
Too bad he couldn’t take Hardy with him.
我至今还不明白他有什么鬼贡献
I still don’t see what he bloody contributes.
我和麦克马洪主任谈过了
Yeah, I had words with Major MacMahon.
似乎拉马努金已经快有重大突破了
It seems that Ramanujan’s on the verge of a major breakthrough.
真的 整数拆分
That’s right. Partitions.
这不可能
Oh, that’s impossible.
等着瞧吧
Hmm. Remains to be seen.
上帝啊 这里真冷 你不冷吗
God, it’s freezing in here. Are you warm enough?
要想睡觉 我就得靠近那根管子才不觉得冷
Try sleeping. I have to go to that pipe just so I don’t freeze.
还不如让那辆火车撞死我呢
It would have been better for all had the train done its job.
对 那样你可能已经转世成鸽子屎了
Oh, yeah, you could have been reincarnated as a pigeon turd.
很抱歉 我没能成为你的
Sorry I’ve not been able to be a better friend
传统意义上的好朋友
to you in the traditional sense.
我知道你需要这样的朋友 但我并不擅长这个
I know you’ve needed one, but I’m not very good at all of that.
从来就不擅长
I never have been.
生命对我来说就是…
Life for me is…
永远就是数学
It’s always been mathematics.
你曾想知道我是如何才有这些灵感的
You wanted to know how I get my ideas.
我的神
My God.
纳马吉里
Namagiri.
是她对我说的
She speaks to me.
我熟睡时 她把那些公式放在我的舌头上
Puts formulas on my tongue when I sleep,
有时是在我祈祷时
sometimes when I pray.
你相信吗
Do you believe me?
如果你是我的朋友
Because if you are my friend,
你就会懂我说的都是真的
then you will know that I’m telling you the truth.
如果你真的是我的朋友
If you are truly my friend.
但我不信神
But I don’t believe in God.
我不信任何我无法证明的东西
I don’t believe in anything I can’t prove.
那你就不会相信我
Then you can’t believe in me.
难道你不知道吗
Don’t you see?
一个方程式对我来说毫无意义
An equation has no meaning to me
除非它表达了神的旨意
unless it expresses a thought of God.
也许我们还是回到过去要更好些
Maybe it is better that we just remain what we were.
我在上学时 记得一位牧师说
When I was at school, I remember one of my chaplains saying,
“上帝是存在的 因为他就像只风筝
“You know God exists because He’s like a kite,
你能感觉到
and you can feel the tug
线上的拉力 就会明白他高高在上”
on the string and know that He’s up there.”
而我说”要是没风 风筝还能飞吗”
I said, “What if there’s no wind and the kite can’t fly?”
不… 我不信上帝
No, I… I can’t believe in God.
我也不信什么东方古老智慧
I don’t believe in the immemorial wisdom of the East,
但我的确相信你
but I do believe in you.
谢谢
Thank you.
我很想尽快结束我们的工作
I very much want to finish what we started.
很好
Good.
我带了些计算来的
I brought some calculations
你精神好了的话 可以看看
in case you were feeling a bit better.
然后我想回家
And then I want to go home.
回家
Home?
越快越好
As soon as I am able.
如果我真的死了
Or if I should die,
你必须答应我 会送我回家
you have to promise that you will get me home.
你不会死的
You’re not going to die.
这是给你的
Oh, this came for you.
我不打扰你了
I’ll leave you in peace.
一定要听医生的话
Try and do what the doctors ask.
我知道你不喜欢听话
I know it’s not in your nature.
我永远也不会明白为什么你要抛弃我
I will never know why you have chosen to forsake me.
给你寄了那么多信
Just a letter in response
我本指望你能回一封也就够了
to the multitude I have sent you would have been enough.
我已去了我哥哥那里
I have gone to be with my brother
和他们家住在了一起
and his family where I will remain.
这是最后一封信 和你道个别
This last letter is to say good-bye.
出了什么事
What happened?
不知道 他是个很糟的病人
I don’t know. He’s a terrible patient.
不相信药物 不吃任何东西
Doesn’t believe in medicine. Won’t eat anything.
只会向纳马吉里祈祷
Just prays to his Namagiri.
如果你是我的医生 我也会祈祷的
Well, I’d be praying too if you were my doctor.
而且我还是个无神论者
And I’m a bloody atheist.
这是我的错
This is my fault.
也许是吧
Yes, maybe.
在0.004以内了
We are within.004.
它不能和我一起死 哈代先生
This can’t die with me, Mr. Hardy.
你不会死的
You’re not going to die.
如果这是正确的
If this is correct,
你就创造了历史
you’ll make a difference.
我证明了
I have the proofs.
我的天哪
My God.
他成功了 真的成功了
He did it. He really did it.
现在必须让他成为院士
Now he must be a Fellow.
现实点 哈代
Oh, be practical, Hardy.
他还是没法通过的
He’ll only fail again.
没有你的帮助 是难以通过
Not with your help, he won’t.
此外还有个办法
Besides, there is another way.
如果他是个…
If he was a…
如果他得了皇家奖学金…
If he had a Royal Fellowship…
皇家学会院士
An FRS?
可他是印度人啊
He’s Indian!
麦克马洪 听我说
MacMahon, listen to me.
他真的很需要这头衔
He really needs this.
一定要把这个转交给利特尔伍德中尉
See that this gets to Lieutenant Littlewood.
利特尔伍德 他在哪里
Littlewood? Where?
霍布森先生 贝克先生 有人
Mr. Hobson, Mr. Baker, I have someone
想和你们谈谈拉马努金先生的事
who wishes to talk to you about Mr. Ramanujan.
先生们
Gentlemen.
三一学院不接纳他
Trinity denied him.
我只想要一次争取的机会
I just want the opportunity to make the case.
用他的成果来争取
Try him on his merits.
那随便你 但我认为
Suit yourself. But I think
结果还是一样的
you’ll find the result will be the same.
– 哈代 – 早上好
– Hardy. – Morning.
你又在捣鼓什么事啊
Now what have you got yourself involved with?
约翰
John.
你来了 真棒
Good of you to come.
我可不愿错过这一刻
Wouldn’t have missed it for the world.
这就是我们对整数拆分的研究
So, now we see the work on partitions
以及取得的重大突破
and the enormous breakthrough that has been achieved.
请注意 所有这一切
All this, mind you,
是出自一个人 在我初遇他时 他知识的局限
by a man whose limitations of knowledge when I met him
和他智慧的深奥一样让我感到震惊
were as startling as was its profundity.
对于拉马努金这项成果的重要性
Opinions may differ as to the importance of Ramanujan’s work
以及对未来数学可能带来的影响
and the influence it may or may not
投票可能会见仁见智
have on the mathematics of the future,
但这个成果展现了
but one gift it does show
一种深刻无比的独创性
is its profound and invincible originality.
利特尔伍德先生曾和我说过
Mr. Littlewood once told me
“每一个正整数
that “Every positive integer
都是拉马努金的一个好朋友”
is one of Ramanujan’s personal friends.”
对此我深信不疑
I believe this to be true.
他曾告诉我 一个方程对他来说毫无意义
He told me that an equation for him had no meaning
除非它表达了神的旨意
unless it expressed a thought of God.
虽然我本人对此完全不能同意
Well, despite everything in my being set to the contrary,
但也许他是对的
perhaps he is right.
因为这不正是我们追求纯数学所要证明的吗
For is this not exactly our justification for pure mathematics?
我们只是在追求绝对完美过程中
We are merely explorers of infinity

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!