音乐家们就位了吗 开始
Musicians are ready? And action!
起 起 起 起 起 起
Up. Up. Up. Up. Up. Up.
起 起
Up. Up.
摆 摆 摆 摆 摆 好多了
Bob. Bob. Bob. Bob. Bob. That’s better.
好好好 坎迪斯 非常好
Good. Good, good, Candace. Very good.
很齐 好多了 记住这种状态
Yeah, it’s coming together. This is much better. Remember that energy.

Cut!
好主意
Good idea.
美高梅制♥作♥ 全黑人团队
西德尼·帕尔默以及他的管弦乐队带来
《哈林区小跑曲》
曼纽尔·托雷斯
Manuel Torres.
最近怎么样
How have you been?
还不错 先生 您呢
Uh, well, sir. And you?
您是想找萨尔伯格先生吗
Y-You want to talk with Mr. Thalberg?
拍西德尼·帕尔默的音乐短片是你的主意吗
Were these Sid Palmer shorts your idea?
算是西德尼和我的共同合作
They’re more like a collaboration between Sidney and me.
嗯 你想不想离开美高梅
Uh-huh. How’d you like to leave MGM,
来做电影视域公♥司♥的音效总监
come be sound chief at Kinoscope?
什么
What?
我们需要做西班牙语的影片 我们在不断地创新
We need Spanish-language pictures. We’re taking new directions.
时代变了 曼尼 -我很荣幸 先生 但
It’s changing times, Manny. – I’m honored, sir, but…
我们也需要重新规划内莉·拉罗伊的未来
And we need to do something about Nellie LaRoy.
嗯 没错
Oh, yeah.
你认识她 对吧
You know her, don’t you?
新泽西女孩的那老一套已经不管用了
The Jersey thing doesn’t work anymore.
现在的观众只当她是艳星
Today’s audiences find her pornographic.
她像个傻子一样整天去吉姆·麦凯的赌场
She’s been hanging around Jim McKay’s casinos like a half-wit.
在全城欠了一屁♥股♥赌债
She owes gambling debts all over town.
而且她嗓子就跟驴叫一样
And she sounds like a donkey.
我是说
I mean…
不管怎样
Anyways…
考虑一下吧
think about it.
先生们 计划是这样的
Gentlemen, here’s the plan.
我们把内莉·拉罗伊打造成一个淑女
We turn Nellie LaRoy into a lady.
内莉·拉罗伊:含羞紫罗兰
改变她的角色 修复她的嗓子
We change her parts. We fix her voice.
戒毒 戒赌
No more drugs. No more gambling.
埃莉诺·圣约翰再写一篇关于她惊人转变的故事
Elinor St. John writes a story about her amazing transformation.
只要推广得力 再有埃莉诺加盟
With the right endorsements, and with Elinor as an ally,
我们就能把拉罗伊小姐重新打造成一名有涵养的女演员
we can remake Miss LaRoy into an actress of sophistication.
和美高梅的那些女演员一样
Like the ladies of MGM.
下一位 西德尼·帕尔默 如今白人观众
Next, Sidney Palmer. Today’s white audiences
西德尼·帕尔默以及他的管弦乐队:《松散小曲》
想要在影片里看到黑人角色
want Negroes in their pictures.
听到黑人音乐 黑人嗓音
Negro music, Negro voices.
所以我们电影视域要把西德尼挖过来 无论要花多少钱
So we bring Sidney to Kinoscope, whatever he costs.
稍等 先生们 稍等一下
One moment, gentlemen. One moment.
考虑下西德尼·帕尔默 好吗 西德尼·帕尔默
Um, Sidney Palmer, okay? Sidney Palmer.
我正想介绍你们认识呢
I was hoping I could introduce the two of you.
拉罗伊小姐 这位是托雷斯先生
Miss LaRoy, meet Mr. Torres.
托雷斯先生 这位是拉罗伊小姐
Mr. Torres, meet Miss LaRoy.
托雷斯先生马上就要加入电影视域了
Mr. Torres is gonna be working for us here at Kinoscope.
你好 托雷斯先生
Hi, Mr. Torres.
我就想跟你说我已经准备好改变了
Just want you to know that I’m ready to change,
你需要我怎样我都会照做
and I’ll do whatever you need.
叫我曼尼就好
Call me Manny.

Cut!
太美了 惊艳 非常惊艳
Beautiful. Bellísimo, bellísimo.
下一条再温柔一点 好吗
Next time, try softer, okay?
什么 我亲爱的皮埃尔 为什么呢
“But why, my darling Pierre? Why?”
沃尔特 嘿 沃尔特
Walt! Walt, hey!
把麦克风移♥动♥45度 好吗
Move that microphone 45 degrees, okay?
离她比较近的那个 好吗
That one near her, okay?
老兄 不不不 嘿 老兄
Amigo, no, no, no. Hey… … amigo!
不是曼纽尔 是曼尼 曼尼·托雷斯
It’s not “Manuel,” it’s “Manny.” Manny Torres.
不是曼纽尔 好吗 -先生 有你的电♥话♥
Not Manuel, okay? – Phone for you, sir!

Yeah.
曼尼·托雷斯 -曼纽尔
Manny Torres. – Manuel.
你步步高升啊 -杰克 抱歉
Moving up fast. – Jack? I’m sorry.
我本来想给你打电♥话♥的 -红药丸让她放松
I meant to call you. – The reds chill her out.
蓝色的让她看起来苗条 -别说了 我为你感到高兴
Blues keep her skinny. – Don’t say a word. I’m happy for you.
这是你应得的 -你看我的试镜了吗 曼尼
You deserve this. – Did you see my screen test yet, Manny?
现在让那些死胖子看看电影该怎么拍
Now go show those fat fucks how it’s done.
好的 好的
Okay! Okay!
大家准备吧 来吧 第二次
Let’s roll, people! Let’s go! Take two!
皮埃尔和你说话的那个家伙是谁
“Pierre, who is the fella to whom you are speaking?”
那个小伙子是谁 小伙子
“Who is the fellow…” Fellow.
小伙子 他妈的 小伙子
Fellow. Fuck. Fellow.
西德尼·帕尔默与电影视域签下令人眼红的合同
帕尔默先生 欢迎来到你的新家
Welcome to your new home, Mr. Palmer.
还有你的车
And your car.
这是瓦拉赫先生送的礼物
A gift from Mr. Wallach.
五点半结束 你有足够的时间参加晚会
And that finishes at 5:30, leaving you enough time to make the gala.
即当时的报业巨头威廉·伦道夫·赫斯特
赫斯特那边想写一篇有关拉罗伊小姐的新闻报道
And a Hearst invite has come in for Miss LaRoy.
只有一个问题 我们该拿朱菲怎么办
Only question is, what do we do about Fay Zhu?
内莉和菲是女性♥伴♥侣♥?
内莉·拉罗伊不为人知的爱情故事
有她在 内莉的形象在赫斯特那群人眼中就不保了
It won’t help Nellie with the Hearst crowd.
听着 凯瑟琳 我不在乎他们能否找到我们
“Listen to me, Catherine. I don’t care if they find us.
他们可以夺去我的头衔 但不会改变我的感受
They could strip me of my rank and it wouldn’t change how I feel.”
最新的嗓音测试 康拉德·纳格尔 声调丰富
Latest voice tests: Conrad Nagel, rich tone.
威廉·海恩斯 辅音发音不错
William Haines, good consonants.
你在给内莉的事业添乱
You’re messing with Nellie’s career,
而我们正努力让它重回正轨
and we’re trying so hard to get it back on track.
现在的新风尚是
There’s a new sensibility now.
人们更在乎道德
People care about morals.
我深知失去的滋味 我明白痛苦的感觉 是你给了我生命
“I’ve known loss. I’ve known pain. You’re what gives me life.”
亲爱的 试着重强调一下”你”这个音
Try accenting “you” a little more, darling.
是你给了我生命
“You are what gives me life.”
只是个建议
Just a suggestion.
马里昂·戴维斯有点结巴 也许该让他现在开始演配角吗
Marion Davies stutters a bit. Maybe supporting roles from now on?
现在人们再也不能接受这种事了
This sort of thing is no longer acceptable.
是你给了我生命 也许可以试着慢一点说
“You are what gives me life.” Maybe try it slower.
雷蒙·诺瓦罗会弹吉他 但是有南方口音
Ramon Novarro can play guitar, but south-of-the-border accent.
我想说的是电影视域不能再雇佣你了
What I’m trying to say is Kinoscope can no longer employ you.
你的形象对我们没什么帮助 我们也不需要给电影配插卡字幕了
Your image is not helpful, and we don’t need titles anymore.
就这样
That’s it.
我很抱歉
I’m sorry.
杰克·康拉德嗓音很好 他是我们最值钱的演员
Jack Conrad has a good voice, is our biggest asset.
也是最花钱的演员
Also the most expensive.
什么 -是你给了我生命
Yeah? – “You are what gives me life.
我爱你
I love you.”
那我的建议就是
Then what I’d suggest there would be to–
喂 杰克 我是欧文
Hello? Jack, it’s Irv.
听着 不知道该怎么说这件事
Listen, there’s no good way to say this–
今天早上他们在乔治家里发现了他的尸体
They found George in his home this morning.
看起来一个和他交往的女孩把他甩了
Looks like he struck out with a girl he was seeing.
他开枪自杀了
He shot himself.
杰克
Jack?
谢谢
Thank you.
我建议最好把潜台词表达出来而不是
So, what I would suggest there would be to play subtext rather than–
亲爱的
Honey?
你还好吗
Are you okay?
他是第一个说我有天赋的人
He was the first one to say I have talent.
他拯救了我
He saved my life.

Who?
电影不是低端艺术
It’s not a low art, you know.
我希望你知道
I want you to know that.
我所做的事对于数百万人来说意义重大
What I do means something to millions of people.
我的父母既没有钱 也没受过教育 进不了剧院
My folks didn’t have the money or the education to go to the theater,
所以他们去杂耍场 然后是五分钱戏院
so they went to the vaudeville houses, and then the nickelodeons.
你知道吗 那些事物也有迷人之处
And you know what? There’s beauty there.
银幕上上演的事情是有意义的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!