乱世春秋
这是一个家庭的故事
是通过一位妻子和一位母亲的眼睛所看到的历史
她们的爱锤炼着人间的运气与灾难
1♥8♥9♥9年结束时
英国在南非与布尔人进行了一场战争
而且战况对英国非常不利
全国处于紧急状态中
除夕之夜 我们的伦敦家庭
在享受了长达四五十年的维多利亚繁荣期后
正在等待着二十世纪的世界到来
1908年
我知道
泰坦尼克号♥
哇 你看 伯雷里特飞越英吉利海峡 他成功了
Look! Bleriot flying the Channel. He’s done it!
幸福?
Has?
我们将在皇家咖啡馆用餐
We’ll dine at the Cafe Royal.
我们一起去吃饭
We’ll dine at the Cafe Royal.
谢谢 布里吉斯
Thank you, Bridges.
一切都准备好了? – 是的 先生
Everything ready, Bridges? – Yes, sir.
我以为你来不及赶回来呢
I thought we should never get here in time.
我看到马车夫一肚子不高兴 罗伯特
I’m sure that cabbie was tipsy, Robert.
是啊 他叫我是催命鬼
So am I. He called me his old cockalorum.
那你怎么说? – 先给他一个先令
Oh, what did you say? – Gave him another shilling.
你不介意我丢下士兵回家来吧?
You didn’t mind our leaving the others and coming on home’?
哦 真高兴 你老想着家
Why, darling, I loved you for thinking of it.
我希望你能高兴
I hoped you would.
哦 艾伦 这花真漂亮
Oh, Ellen, what lovely flowers.
这是布里吉斯和我送的
They’re from Bridges and me, ma’am,
表示我们美好的祝愿
with our very best wishes, I’m sure.
哦 艾伦 – 非常感谢你们俩
Oh, Ellen. – Thank you both, so much.
不 不用谢 先生 我们感到非常的荣幸
Not at all, sir. It’s a… It’s a pleasure, indeed.
她们真是太好了
How sweet of them
竟然会想到在除夕之夜送花给我们
to think of giving us flowers on New Year’s Eve.
确实很感人
Rather touching.
我被她们感动得都快掉眼泪了
So touching that I almost want to cry.
你想哭就哭吧
Well, if you must.
今晚本来就应该动点感情的
This evening was planned sentimentally.
动点感情 但不是眼泪汪汪
Sentimentally, but not tragically.
说得太好了
Splendid!
你动作快点 厨娘 我们还要看庆祝队伍呢
You’ll have to hurry up, cook, if you want to see them celebrations.
你别催我 布里吉斯先生
Now… Now, which would you wear, Mr. Bridges…
我戴着这帽子不太方便 这是夫人送给我的 真漂亮
This nice porkpie hat or the lovely picture hat the missus give me’?
你干嘛不♥穿♥戴整洁和夫人一起进晚餐呢?
Well, why not wear them both and go as Lady Godiva?
那倒是
You’re vulgar.
瞧你干这好事
Oh, look what you’re doing,
你想把别人眼睛都给弄瞎呀
squeezing that thing in people’s eyes nand blinding them.
你要是还不快点 准是眼睛有毛病啦
You’ll be blinding someone if you went as Lady Godiva.
哦 是吗?
Oh? Indeed?
欢庆的时候脚下留神一点 厨娘
Watch your step, cookie, when you’re celebratin’.
要不然你会不知东南西北的
You know what you’re like after you’ve had a couple of snifters.
你别讨人嫌 布里吉斯先生
Don’t be disgustin’, Mr. Bridges.
除夕之夜是不能出差错的
New Year’s Eve’s gone to her head and no mistake.
太太哭了一整天
She’s been queer all day.
她说相信一切美好的日子都已经结束了
Says she feels like as if it’s the end of everything.
哦 我也这么想
Oh, so do I, for that matter.
你别又来这一套
Oh, don’t start that all over again.
是吗 我们在这儿干得非常的好
Oh, Alf, we’ve been so happy here in service.
我简直就不敢想象
Can’t bear to think
你去前线以后我们会怎么样?
what it’s going to be like when you’ve gone to the war.
我们不去
Well, don’t.
你生来就不是当兵的料
You were never cut out for a soldier.
你别管我生来是什么料
Never mind what I was cut out for.
反正我现在是个兵 明白吗
I am a soldier now, see?
要是你有个三长两短 我和孩子怎么办?
What’s gonna happen to me and baby if anything happens to you?
你听我说 你嫁给我就要同甘共苦
Now, look here, old girl. You married me for better or for worse.
但不是这种苦难
Not for this kind of worse, I didn’t.
你去非洲潇洒 但是我们却挨饿
You gallivanting in Africa, and me stopping at home.
哦 绝对不会饿死的 相信我
Oh, you got a lot to take on about, I don’t think.
你想想夫人看
Look at the missus
她哥哥战争刚开始就去了玛斐津
and her brother out there in that there Mafeking,
从一开始就被布尔人包围
besieged by them there Boers right from the beginning.
不够吃 就吃马肉和老鼠肉
Not enough to eat, only horses and rats.
现在又要去前线了
Yes, and now her husband’s going
她还要照顾两个孩子
and two growing boys to look after.
你要懂点事
Have some sense.
懂事?那么战争又有什么意义?
Sense? What’s the sense in the war?
谁也不想要战争
Nobody wanted to have a war.
我们时不时要打场战争来证明我们没有完蛋
We have to have wars now and then just to prove we’re top dog.
你别吵 我把饮料备好
Now, stop arguing and help me get out this punch
要不然他们没什么喝的了
or the bells will be ringing and they won’t have anything to drink.
你今晚漂亮极了
You look so beautiful tonight.
是吗 罗伯特? – 大概是衣服的缘故吧 很合身
Do I, Robert? – Only your dress, I suppose. Very deceiving.
是的 罗伯特
Yes, Robert.
还有你的发型 – 还有我的发型
And the star in your hair. – And the star in my hair.
要知道我是多么地爱你
And the fact that I love you so very, very much.
整整十年过去了 而且还有了两个孩子
After ten whole years and two enormous children,
你怎么还这样?
how can you?
也许你本来很乏味
Perhaps you’re hideous and ill-dispositioned
脾气又不好 而我又不知道
and tedious really, and I never knew.
也许吧 – 啊 现在太晚了
Perhaps. – Well, it’s too late now.
我已经深深地爱上你了
I’m set in the habit of loving you.
永远不想知道真♥相♥了
I shall never know the truth.
哦 我们的婚姻真幸福啊
Oh, how wonderful our marriage has been.
还有将来的岁月呢
Give the future a chance.
我们现在不知道是否还有将来
We don’t know if there is to be a future, now.
就是对新世纪的美好憧憬啊
That’s a cheerful thought for the new century.
你不在我的身边还怎么美好
About as cheerful as the thought of being without you.
哦 罗伯特 我亲爱的 我会很想念你的
Oh, Robert, my dear, I shall miss you so.
那战争真那么重要吗 对布尔人?
What does it matter about the war, about the Boers?
我看无所谓
It can’t matter, really.
你不关心在玛斐津的哥哥吗?
Aren’t you forgetting about your brother Jim in Mafeking,
被布尔人围困在那里 – 不 我没有忘记他
hemmed in by the Boers? – No, I’m not forgetting Jim.
可这一切都会令人绝望的 – 什么?
But it does seem so desperately hard. – What does?
没什么 我只是有些失态 – 你?
Nothing. I was merely behaving badly. – You?
你不会失态的
You couldn’t behave badly.
我想这场战争会结束吧 – 那当然
I suppose this war will end someday. – Why, of course.
只需要几个月 – 你还没赶到它就结束了
In a few months! – Perhaps it’ll be over before you get there.
也许吧
Perhaps.
你希望打仗是吧
I believe you’d hate that.
不知道吉姆是否还活着
I wonder if Jim’s still alive.
他当然活着 大家都活着哩
Of course he’s alive. They’re all alive.
玛斐津很快就会解围的
Mafeking’s bound to be relieved soon.
刚好准时 先生 快到午夜了
Just on time, sir. Nearly midnight.
放那儿吧
Put it down there, Bridges.
你们俩也留下吧
Stay and drink with us, won’t you?
谢谢 夫人
Thank you very much, ma’am.
谢谢 夫人 – 就这样
Thank you, ma’am. – That’s right.
妈妈 – 哦 孩子们
Mum! – Oh, the children.
是约少爷
Sounded like Master Joe.
这二十世纪一到就把孩子吵醒 真不懂礼貌
How very impolite of the 20th century to wake up the children.
妈妈
Mum.
哦 约 你这坏孩子
Oh, Joey, you awful child.
你怎么能大声嚷嚷呢
How dare you make such a noise.
哦 宝贝 你没什么地方不舒服吧?
Oh, darling, you haven’t got a pain, have you?
我要看新年的到来 – 那绝对不行
I want to see New Year. – Little boys mustn’t.
我送你上♥床♥的时候 你怎么对我说来着?
What would you say if I spanked you soundly and sent you to bed?
我说 老太太你不喜欢我
I would say, old woman that lived in the shoe.
哦 你居然叫妈妈老太太
And what would you say if I spanked you again
那我该怎么办?
for calling your mother an old woman?
那就随你了
I would say nothing.
妈妈 我们能明天迎接新年吗?
Mum, can we see New Year tomorrow instead?
嘘 别把爱德华吵醒了
Shh. You’ll wake up Edward.
我的天哪 让孩子们下来吧
By George, we ought to have the children down.
新世纪毕竟是新世纪
A new century is a new century.
艾伦 去拿点酒来庆祝一下
Ellen, go and get ’em some milk to drink good luck.
亲爱的 – 嘘 他睡着了
Darling… – Shh. They’re asleep.