我想你也不知道你在做什么
and the hurt you’re causing.
不知道你伤害了我
But I need you to understand that my son is my life.
但我想让你知道 我儿子就是我的命根子
He’s all I have.
他是我的一切
And no matter what the police think, and no matter what the world thinks,
无论警方怎么想 无论别人怎么想
you and I,
你和我
we both know the truth, don’t we?
只有我们知道事实真相 不是吗?
We both know that you’re not Walter.
我们彼此心里清楚 你不是Walter
You just have to tell them that you’re not my son,
只要你告诉他们你不是我儿子
so they can find my son.
他们就会继续找我儿子
Please.
求你了
We can talk tomorrow.
我们明天再谈
Hello?
喂?
BRIEGLEB: Is this Mrs. Christine Collins?
是Christine Collins夫人吗?
Yes.
是的
My name is Gustav Briegleb.
我叫Gustav Briegleb
I’m the pastor over at St. Paul’s Presbyterian.
我是圣保罗长老教会的牧师
Oh, yes, I’ve heard your broadcasts.
哦 是的 我听过你的广播节目
I’m…

Thank you.
谢谢你
Have you read the Times this morning?
你看了今天早上的周刊了吗?
No.
没有
Well, maybe you should give it a gander and then come over here to the parish
好吧 或许你该看一眼 然后来教会
for breakfast, in, say, an hour. I think we should meet.
一起吃早餐 我们一个小时后见
Hello?
喂?
“Mysterious case of…
不可思议的案件
“Acting on the request of the Los Angeles Police Department,
受到洛杉矶警署的委托
“Dr. Earl W. Tarr, child specialist, examined Walter Collins
Earl W Tarr医生 儿童专家 为Walter Collins做了检查
“to determine the cause of his loss of weight,
解释了为何孩子会变瘦
“paleness, confusion, and rundown condition
显得苍白 困惑 而这些变化
“noticed since the return of the boy
在上周一 那孩子
“To his mother last Monday.”
回归母亲怀抱的一刻就被察觉了
Lovely bit of phrasing, isn’t it?
有趣的措辞 不是吗?
Noticed since the return of the boy to his mother.
回归母亲怀抱的一刻就被察觉了
Now, not only does that clearly state you’re the boy’s mother,
不仅明确指出你就是孩子的母亲
but one could infer from it that you’re somehow responsible for these changes.
但却可以听出来 你应接受这些改变
And that the police department is concerned
还有 警署十分关注
for the boy’s welfare while he’s in your charge.
孩子在你照顾期间的生活保障
You should try the eggs. They’re very nice.
尝尝这蛋 味道很不错
“‘I examined the boy quite thoroughly,’ Dr. Tarr said,
‘我彻底地检查过那孩子’ Tarr医生说
“‘And it’s clear that he has something to tell.
‘显然那孩子有话要说’
“‘I’m sure that in time…”‘
我坚信 给点时间
…time he will give his boyish story of the entire affair,
他就会讲出整件事情的来龙去脉
but not until he has faith in his listener.
但首先 他必须得信任倾听者
And that is what is lacking here, faith in the poor lad’s story.
而那正是现在所欠缺的 对这小朋友的信任
Course of my examination, I found nothing to dispute the findings
因为就我的调查而言 我没发现任何地方
of the LAPD.
可以来质疑洛杉矶警察局的结论
Why would they do this?
他们为什么这么做?
To avoid admitting they made a mistake
不必承认他们犯了错
when they brought back the wrong boy.
不必承认他们没有找对人
Of course, anyone reading the newspaper with half a brain
当然 任何有点脑子的人
would see through it instantly.
读报纸时都能立刻看透
Sadly, that would exclude about half the readership of the Times.
悲哀的是 的读者 至少有一半是没脑子的
Mrs. Collins, I have made it my mission in life to bring to light all the things
Collins夫人 我将以此为使命 将洛杉矶警察局
the LAPD wish none of us ever knew about.
不想为人所知的那些事 大白于天下
A department ruled by violence, abuse, murder, corruption and intimidation.
一个充斥着暴力谋杀 滥用职权 贪污腐败 威胁迫害的部门
When Chief Davis took over the force two years ago, he said…
两年前Davis局长接管时 他说
We will hold court against gunmen in the streets of Los Angeles.
我们将治理洛杉矶街头的暴徒
I want them brought in dead, not alive,
面对暴徒 可以当场击毙 不必留情
and I will reprimand any officer who shows the least mercy to a criminal.
任何警官 对罪犯稍有怜悯 我一旦得知 必将严惩
He picked 50 of the most violent cops on the force,
他在队里挑选了五十名彪悍的警察
gave them machine guns and permission to shoot anyone who got in their way.
给他们配了机关枪 并允许他们射杀任何挡路者
He called them the Gun Squad.
他称他们为 机枪班
No lawyers, no trials, no questions, no suspensions, no investigations.
没有律师审判 没有审问调查 更没有缓刑
Just piles of bodies.
只有成堆的死尸
Bodies in the morgues, bodies in the hospitals, bodies by the side of the road.
出现在太平间 医院 甚至暴尸街头
And not because the LAPD wanted to wipe out crime. No.
并非因为洛杉矶警察局想要消除犯罪
The LAPD wanted to wipe out the competition.
他们想要消除竞争
Mayor Cryer and half the force are on the take.
Cryer市长和军队的一半人伺机接受贿赂
Gambling, prostitution, bootlegging, you name it.
赌博卖淫 非法贩酒 包罗万象
Because once you give people the freedom to do whatever they want,
因为一旦你给人们自由 让他们为所欲为
as the Lord found in the Garden of Eden, they will do exactly that.
就像上帝在伊甸园那样 他们便会随心所欲
This police department does not tolerate dissent, or contradiction,
警察局不能容忍异议 反驳
or even embarrassment.
甚至是尴尬
And you are in a position to embarrass them and they do not like it.
你会让他们尴尬 他们不喜欢如此
They will do anything in their power to discredit you.
他们会不择手段地破坏你的名誉
I’ve seen that happen too many times to start going blind now.
这样的事 我见过太多次 都快麻木了
That’s why I wanted to meet you,
这也是为什么我想见你
to let you know what you’re getting yourself into
提醒你 你现在所陷入的困境
and to help you fight it, if you choose to.
如果你想要与之抗争 我将帮你
Reverend, I appreciate everything that you’re doing
牧师 我非常感激 你所做的一切
and everything that you said,
你所说的一切
but I’m not on a mission.
但我并非以此为使命
I just want my son home.
我只想要我的儿子回家
Mrs. Collins, a lot of mothers’ sons
Collins夫人 很多母亲的儿子
have been sacrificed to expediency around here.
已经为此失去了生命
Your son, unfortunately, would not be the first.
很不幸 你的儿子并非是第一个
But if you do it right, he may very well be the last.
但如果你作出正确的抉择 他很可能是最后一个
He had two cavities that needed filling.
他有两个牙洞需要补
He put up a fight, but I took care of it.
他打了一架 但是我处理过了
And?
所以?
Your son’s upper front teeth were separated by a small tissue, a diastema.
你儿子的前门牙被一小块组织分开了 造成了牙齿之间的空隙
It made them sit about an eighth of an inch apart.
大约有三毫米的缝隙
The boy in that room has no such gap.
房间里面那个男孩没有这样的齿隙
Can that change with age? Because that’s what they’re gonna say.
它会随着年龄而改变么? 他们会这样说的
In some cases, yes, it’s possible.
有时候 是的 有可能
But the tissue between Walter’s teeth prevents that from happening.
但Walter那样的牙组织是绝对不可能的
See, they can never come together without an operation to sever the tissue,
除非做手术来分离组织 否则齿隙不可能消失
and I can tell you right now that he has never had such an operation.
我现在就告诉你 他没有做过类似手术
Would you be willing to put that officially in writing?
你可以将这些以书面形式写下来么?
Pardon my language, but hell yes.
请原谅我语言粗俗 当然TMD可以
Sounds like the anesthetic’s wearing off.
听起来麻醉剂药效过了
On the other hand, maybe I’ll write that letter first.
不过 也许我可以先写书面材料
Give the little fella something to think about.
让这小家伙好好想想
Well, if it is, he’s changed enormously.
如果他是Walter 那他变化真大啊
Do you know who I am?
你知道我是谁么?
You’re a teacher.
你是老师
Yes, but even teachers have names. What’s mine?
是的 但老师也有名字的 我叫什么?
I don’t remember.
我忘了
I know you, but I don’t remember your name.
我认识你 但我忘了你的名字
Mrs. Fox. Now, take your seat.
Fox女士 现在 请回到你的座位吧
I didn’t say take a seat. I said take your seat, the one assigned you.
我没说请随便坐 我说回到你的座位 你指定的座位
You must know where it is, you’ve been sitting in it for over a year now.
你肯定知道它在哪儿 你已经坐了一年了
Mrs. Collins, if that’s your son, I’ll eat my yardstick.
Collins夫人 如果这是你儿子 我就吃了我的码尺
Not only will I put it in writing, I will testify to it in a court of law
我不仅可以书面证明 我可以出庭作证
or to the President Calvin Coolidge himself if I have to.
甚至可以去 凯文 柯立芝总统那里作证
Thank you.
多谢
I’ll see you tonight for the broadcast.
今晚广播时见
Good luck.
好运
REPORTER 1: Quick question, ma’am.
女士 问个小问题
REPORTER 2: Quick question!
问个小问题
REPORTER 3: Mrs. Collins.
Collins夫人
Hello. My name is Christine Collins.
大家好 我的名字是Christine Collins
Good morning. MAN: Good morning.
早上好 早上好
On March 10th, my nine year old son, Walter Collins, disappeared.
三月十日 我九岁的儿子 Walter Collins失踪了
And a five month investigation
五个月的调查之后
led to a boy being brought to Los Angeles from DeKalb, Illinois.
从伊利诺斯州的底卡普 带回到洛杉矶 一个男孩
They told me and all of you that this boy was my son.
他们告诉我和你们各位 这个男孩是我的儿子
He was not my son.
他不是我的儿子
The LAPD made a mistake,
洛杉矶警察局犯了个错误
and that is the reason for the supposed transformation.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!