The state banking charges have all been dropped.
但联邦政♥府♥并没撤销指控
The federal charges, however, are all still in place.
依我看来 这是个政♥治♥问题
Now, it’s my feeling that we’re in a political space here.
如果我们处理得当
So if we play our cards right,
搞不好也能撤销这些指控
we’ll be able to get those charges dropped as well.
政♥治♥?怎么说?
Political how?
阿肯色州参议员约翰麦克莱伦
Well, Senator John McClellan of Arkansas
正在为几家联邦政♥府♥资助的银行 举办听证会
is holding a set of hearings on federally funded banks.
目的似乎是抨击美国财政部
The goal seems to be to shit all over the so-called “lax oversight”
疏于监督
that our Treasury provides,
以合理地扩大其委员会的管辖范围
so as to justify his committee expanding its jurisdiction.
如此一来 就能确保银行业
Thereby ensuring a steady stream of campaign donations
为政♥治♥宣传活动提供稳定的赞助金
and favors from the banking industry.
跟我有什么关系?
So, what does that have to do with me?
你要听明说的还是暗示的?
You want the stated or the unstated version?
暗示
Unstated.
“我们要改变法律
“We need to change these laws.
刻不容缓!
And I mean quick!
不然这些黑人就会买♥♥下银行 向其他黑人放贷”
Or niggers like these can own banks and loan money to other niggers.”
没错
That.
伯纳德 往好处看
On the bright side, Bernard,
因为我们的事 刚好对麦克莱伦争权夺利有好处
’cause we fit so neatly into McClellan’s power grab,
整个国家都在谈论 两个黑人买♥♥下了两家银行
the whole country’s talkin’ about how two Negroes managed to buy two banks
里面存的全是白人的钱 他们再把这些钱借给其他黑人
full of white folks’ money in Texas and loan it to other Negroes.
我还以为约翰麦克莱伦 是第一批谴责麦卡锡主义的人之一
I thought McClellan was one of the first people to stand up to McCarthyism.
他的确是
He was.
那他肯定是个好人了
So he must be a decent man, right?
伯纳德 我不懂得怎么看透人心
You know, Bernard, I don’t have the ability to look into a man’s soul.
但我可以告诉你
But I will tell you this…
这个人想要透过听证会 重申白人至上的立场
he means to make a point with these hearings.
如果你能在这方面助他一臂之力
And if you want to help him make that point,
我有理由相信你不会被控任何罪名
I highly doubt that you’re gonna have any problem with any kind of criminal charges.
那马修在这件事上是什么立场?
So, where’s Matt in all this?
问得好
Now, that is a good question.
我的律师不让我来这里
My lawyer doesn’t want me here.
这说明他不是真正关心你
Then your lawyer doesn’t have your best interests at heart, Matt.
我们大可达成一个协议 救你一命
Because we can make a deal here that could save your life.
怎么救?
How does that work exactly?
你能…
You’re gonna…
你能把钱和房♥子还给我吗?
give me back my money? My house?
不能
Hardly.
但我可以让你免罪
But I can give you immunity.
你甚至可以避免以下责任
And you might avoid being called to account
比如在23个不同场合中
for lying to the public on 23 separate occasions
就大♥陆♥银行和马林银行 真正持有人问题说谎
about the true ownership of the Mainland and Marlin banks.
伪造银行贷款估值
Fraudulently valuing loans in these banks.
在这两家银行之间非法转移上述贷款
Illegally transferring said loans between the banks in question.
这个故事不难编
It’s an easy story to tell,
就说这两个人操纵你
how these two men manipulated you,
利用你去误导老百姓 让他们以为你是老板 然后从中渔利
used you to make money by duping everyday citizens into thinking you were the boss,
真♥相♥是 这两个黑人才是幕后主脑
when really it was two Negroes pulling the strings.
但他们并没有逼我去做出这些事
But they didn’t force me to do the things I did.
他们步步为营、奉公守法
They were careful to follow the law.
你没有任何证据将他们治罪
You won’t find any evidence that they committed a crime.
这就是银行业罪案的关键之处
See, that’s the thing about banking crime,
总有个主观因素
there’s always a subjective element to it.
你听我说
Now,
这两个黑人赚了…
these two Negroes earned…
他们靠九十七万一千的抵押贷款 赚了十八万九千美元
1♥8♥9♥,000 between the two of them,
那些抵押贷款只值六十六万三千美元
off a $971,000 purchase of mortgages that in fact were worth 663,000.
在我看来 这就是滥用银行资金
See, that is a misuse of bank funds in my book.
滥用银行资金是一宗罪
And a misuse of bank funds is a crime.
事实比你想的更复杂
It’s more complicated than that.
斯坦纳先生 我倒不认为
I don’t think it is, Mr. Steiner.
除非你说他们没有逼你 去买♥♥下这些烂抵押贷款
Unless you’re telling me they didn’t force you to buy these dog-shit mortgages…
以骗取银行十八万九千美元的佣金
so they could bilk the bank of $1♥8♥9♥,000 of commission.
那他们也许真是无辜的
Then maybe they are innocent
也许该坐牢的另有其人
and maybe someone else needs to go to prison.
抱歉我把他带进这个圈子
I’m really sorry I ever brought him in.
你没逼我聘用他啊
You didn’t force me to hire him.
乔尔警告过我很多次了
Joe warned me a dozen times as well.
也许我当初只是想相信他一回吧
Just wanted to believe in him, I guess.
希望那个这间房♥子的主人 会付清你的装♥修♥费
I hope whoever owns this place is taking good care of you for the renovation.
那是一定的
He is…
因为我就是屋主
’cause it’s me.
好样的
Yeah.
好样的
Yeah.
你的证词中称 你从头到尾都是受到
So, it’s your testimony that you’ve always been under the direction
伯纳德盖瑞特和乔尔莫瑞斯指使
of Bernard Garrett and Joe Morris.
对吧?
Is that correct?
对 没错
It is. Yes.
你曾违抗过盖瑞特或莫瑞斯的命令吗?
You ever refuse an order from Garrett or Morris?
例如马林银行第一次买♥♥下抵押贷款
For example, the initial purchase of mortgages by the Marlin bank,
盖瑞特和莫瑞斯因此 得到了十八万九千美元的佣金
for which Garrett and Morris were compensated $1♥8♥9♥,000,
或是后来大♥陆♥银行以不合理的高价
or Mainland Bank’s subsequent purchase at grossly inflated prices
从马林银行购得有问题的抵押贷款
of problem mortgages from Marlin?
他们是我的雇主 我只是遵照他们的指示办事
They were my employers. I carried out their wishes to the letter.
(现值 年金)
马文 没想到你会安排这个面谈
I’m surprised you requested this meeting, Melvin.
似乎我的提议只需简单的回应 同意还是不同意
It seemed my offer required a simple answer, yes or no.
(麦克莱伦参议员)
Especially given how solid Steiner was today.
尤其当斯坦纳今天做出有力的证供后
约翰 伯纳德不是那种没了解过所有细节
Well, John, Bernard’s not the kind of man
就贸然同意成交的人
to make a deal without checking all the details.
但他所受到的指控显示
It seems to me that a large part of his purported defense
他似乎就是这种人
is that he did just that.
你要我在接受审讯时 把银行法纳入供词里
You want me to put the banking rules on trial in my testimony.
我只是要你说出真♥相♥
I want you to tell the truth.
是 应该会有你说的效果
Which should have that result, yes.
银行法允许你们不公开持有人身份
The rules allowed you to hide your identity from the public
做出一连串动作 进而导致两家国内银行破产
and take the successive actions that led to two national banks becoming insolvent,
害得成千上万无辜存户的存款承担风险
risking the savings of thousands of innocent depositors.
你我对真♥相♥的看法很不同
You and I see the truth very differently.
小子 我来自阿肯色州
Son, I’m from Arkansas.
我知道黑人有时难免遭受不公平的待遇
You don’t have to tell me that Negroes sometimes get the short end of the stick.
“有时”
“Sometimes.”
这种状况在这里是改不了的
We’re not gonna change that here.
真♥相♥是 无论他们给你制♥造♥了什么障碍
The truth is, whatever obstacles they put in your way,
你都专心做事
you kept your head down, did your business,
成了国内最有钱的黑人之一
became one of the richest Negroes in the country.
你其实已经实现美国梦了
You were living the American dream
只是后来你决定去扰乱德州的社会秩序 才会沦落到这个地步
before you decided to go mucking around with the social order in Texas.
算是一个教训吧
Might be a lesson there.
如今你有得选择
You have a choice now.
选择免罪协议
Take the immunity deal.
上庭确认斯坦纳的供证无误
Go in there and confirm what Steiner just told us,
说你透过钻法律漏洞致富
that you took advantage of lax rules in order to enrich yourself.
让国会去修补这些法律漏洞 事后你就是个自♥由♥人了
And let Congress fix those rules, and you’ll be a free man.
你也可以选择拒绝这项协议
Or you can refuse the deal…
在法庭上畅所欲言
and say whatever you want.
别说我没提醒你
But just know,
等你在庭上发表过 反种族歧视和黑人遭受不公待遇的言论后
after you’re done saying your piece about racism and the plight of the Negro,
法庭就会仔细把你的每一条供词
we’re gonna compare your testimony point for point
跟斯坦纳、弗洛伦斯
with what we heard from Steiner and Florance,
以及一大群白人的供词作对比
and a whole bunch of other white people.
幸好美国宪法不论肤色
Well, thank God the Constitution doesn’t make those types of distinctions.
但到最后
Well, at the end of all that,
法庭会做出最终裁决
a determination will be made by a court of law
判定谁说实话
to decide who’s telling the truth…
谁说谎
and who’s lying.
说谎的人自然要坐牢
And the liars are going to prison.
从外面看去确实很漂亮

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!