What about the 3rd. week of September…
九月份的第三个星期呢…
do you remember that?
你还记得吗?
You mean anything specific that might happened in September?
你的意思是九月份有没有任何特别的事情发生?
Yes, anything specific.
对 任何特别的事情
The kids were fighting a lot.
孩子们经常打架
The kids were fighting a lot?
孩子们经常打架?
My children and the neighbor children…
我的孩子和邻居的孩子…
were coming in, and fight with Sylvia…
进屋来 和西尔维娅打闹
My children fighting with other children, so on and so fort.
我的孩子和别的孩子打来打去 诸如此类
What did you do, when that was happening?
这个时候 你做了什么?
I did not see this, fighting then.
打闹的时候 我没看到
I was barely able to stay up at all.
我只是能勉强支撑而已
I did not even feel like getting up.
我甚至没感觉的发生了什么
Did you have any knowledge, of any mistreatment…
你对西尔维娅受到的虐待…
going on with Sylvia?
有所察觉吗?
No, Sir.
不知道 先生
Did you commit any indignity, making marks on that girls body?
你在那女孩的身上留下过任何侮辱性的标记吗?
No, Sir.
没有 先生
Do you know, how those wounds, got on her body?
你知道她身上的伤是怎么来的吗?
No, Sir.
不知道 先生
You’re telling the Jury, you don’t know who did it?
你这是在告诉陪审团 你不知道这是谁干的?
No.
不知道
Did you hear the testimony of Jennie?
你听到詹妮的证词了吗?
Yes, I did.
听到了
Did you hear, some of your children state…
你听到你的孩子们在陈述中所说的…
that before Sylvia died, you started branding this girl?
在西尔维娅死前 你在她身上烙下了记号♥吗?
Yes, I heard that.
是的 我听到了
Did they all lie?
他们在撒谎吗?
That is right.
是的
The fact is you’re lying, isn’t it?
事实是你在撒谎 不是吗?
No, Sir.
我没有 先生
Did you hear John Baniszewski state…
你听到约翰 巴尼泽夫斯基所陈述的…
that you burned her, with matches and cigarettes?
你用火柴和香烟烫她了吗?
Yes, I heard that statement.
是的 我听到了
Did he tell the truth?
他说的是实话吗?
He was not telling the truth.
他没说实话
No.
没有
You’re saying, you did not do it?
你是说 这不是你干的?
That’s right.

You were in bed, a great deal of the time…
你躺在床上 很长很长时间…
when the children were doing things, you did not know, they were doing.
当孩子们做这些事情的时候 你不知道他们正在做?
I imagine they were doing a great deal of things…
我猜想他们在做很多…
that I did not know.
我不知道的事情
Why did Johnny lie?
为什么约翰尼要撒谎?
I imagine, he is a pretty scared little boy.
我想 这个小男孩受到了惊吓
Are you scared?
你受惊吓了吗?
I’ve been scared by a lot of things, for a long time.
我已经被很多事情惊吓了很长时间
She sacrificed me, to protect her children…
她牺牲我 去保护她的孩子们…
and sacrificed them, to protect herself.
又牺牲他们 去保护她自己
Will the accused, please rise!
被告 请起立!
We, the Jury, find Gertrude Baniszewski…
陪审团裁定格特鲁德·巴尼泽夫斯基…
guilty of 1st. degree murder…
犯有一级谋杀罪…
sentencing her to life in prison.
判处终身监禁
The case got a lot of attention…
这个案子受到了很大关注…
it even made Time Magazine.
甚至登上了时代周刊
And most people started talking…
然后几乎所有人都开始议论…
about things, they used to ignore.
他们过去常常忽略的事情
Thank you.
谢谢
The others, were tried later.
其他人 稍后被审判
Paula was found guilty as an accomplice…
宝拉被判同谋
and served a couple of years.
几年的监禁
She had that Baby, and named it, Gertrude.
她生下了孩子 取名格特鲁德
Johnny was convicted too.
约翰尼也被判有罪
He was the youngest inmate…
他是印第安纳州…
in the history, of the Indiana State Reformatory.
少管所历史上最年轻的犯人
He would later become a real Minister.
他以后会成为一个真正的牧师
one way of telling the story, I guess.
一种讲述这个故事的方式 我想
Ricky Hobbs, was found guilty of man-slaughter…
瑞奇·胡布斯 被判过失杀人罪…
he served time at the reformatory.
他在少管所服刑
He died at age 21, of lung cancer.
他21岁时死于肺癌
Coy, also served a couple of years…
凯依 也服了几年刑期…
He went on with a life of crime…
在他出狱之后…
after he got released from prison.
又走上了犯罪道路
I don’t know, what happened, to any of the rest of them.
我不知道其他人怎样了
Mom und Dad, went back on Tour…
妈妈和爸爸 回去继续旅行…
and left Jennie, with the District Attorney and his Family.
把詹妮留在检察官家里照看
They helped her get back on her feet.
他们帮她治好了她的腿
Gertrude served 20 years of her life sentence.
格特鲁德服刑了20年
She was released on parole in 1985.
于1985年获假释
Before she died 5 years later…
在她死前5年不到的时候…
she took responsibility, for everything that had happened.
她对发生的一切付出了代价
I’m so sorry.
我很抱歉
And me?
我呢?
I returned to the carnival.
我回到嘉年华
The only place, I always felt save.
那唯一 我觉得安全的地方
Reverend Bill, used to say:
比尔神父 常常说
“For every situation, God always has a plan”.
“无论何时 上帝总有安排”
I guess, I’m still trying to figure out, what that plan was.
我想 我依然在寻找 那究竟是怎样的安排?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!