I was a lawyer. I still am, but I don’t practice.
我念哥伦比亚大学,你呢?佛罗里达州立大学
I went to Columbia. And you? – F.S.U.
好学校 我对这行很快就厌烦了
A good school. I got bored with it quick.
我想我的个性不适合
I didn’t have the temperament for it.
我想更快赚到钱
I wanted to make the money faster.
在这里当律师日子过得去吗?
Is there a living in it here?
我的衬衫可以送洗
I can afford to send out my shirts…
如果不点开胃菜,一个月可以来这里吃一顿
…and eat here once a month if I don’t order an appetizer.
我想通了,诚实的律师赚不了大钱 另外一种作风对我来说又太卑鄙
Honest lawyers don’t make much and the other kind are too slimy for me.
我宁可公开骗人
I’d rather be up-front about shafting somebody.
爱德蒙,拜托
Edmund, really!
这是罗辛先生的职业 没关系
It’s his profession. – That’s all right.
反正我也不喜欢
I don’t like it much.
请你叫我耐德好吗?
Call me Ned, will you?
有什么好喜欢的
What’s to like?
人就是这样 大部份人都讨厌自己的工作
It’s the way of the world. Most people despise their jobs.
你呢?
Do you?
不 我很喜欢
No, I love it.
不过那不算工作
But it’s not a job.
那是什么呢?
What is it exactly?
我做各种各样的事,一点这个
I do various things. This and that.
一点那个 你不用说得很清楚
Here and there. – You don’t have to be specific.
基本上是金融 投机资本、房♥地♥产♥、投资
Finance, basically. Venture capital, real estate…
我们从事好几种事业
…investments. We’re into a few things.
在这里?有一些
Around here? – Some.
我们在这里有一些东西
Some things here.
爱德蒙的公♥司♥,拥有“轧碎机房♥”
Edmund’s company owns The Breakers.
真的?其实没有那么简单
Really? – It’s not that simple, really.
我们对沿岸几个地方都有兴趣
We have an interest in a few places along the shore.
是土地,你知道的有一天…
For the land, someday.
不过不用跟她解释了
Don’t try explaining it to her.
我太笨了,女人,你知道的
I’m too dumb. A woman, you know.
我马上回来
I’ll be right back.
然后也许可以聊一聊丝♥袜♥ 或者其它有趣的事
Then maybe we can talk about pantyhose or something interesting.
她真厉害对吧
She’s something, isn’t she?
很漂亮的女人
She is a lovely lady.
是啊,没错
Yes, she is.
我爱她爱得发狂
And I’m crazy about her.
如果我想到她跟别的男人约会…
If I thought she was seeing another guy…
我不知道
I don’t know.
我可以理解为什么会那样
I could understand how it could happen, the way she is.
以她的脾气我可以理解,不过…
I could understand it, but…
我想我会亲手杀了那个男的
…I think I’d kill the guy with my bare hands.
这是可以理解的事
That’s understanding.
要吗?- 好
Please.
你绝不会相信我认识她的时候 她跟什么样的笨蛋在一起?
You’d never believe the dorkus she was with when I met her.
那个男的来找我们做生意
The guy came to us with a business proposition.
我们一直都在找机会
We’re always looking for opportunities.
我们愿意偶尔冒冒险
We’re willing to take a risk…
如果下降趋势不会太陡 如果条件可以的话
…if the downside’s not too steep, if conditions are right.
不过这个人… 他没有做功课
But this guy, he hadn’t done his homework.
他不知道帐本底线 所以我知道他一肚子草包
He didn’t know the bottom line. That’s how I knew he was full of shit.
你一定要知道底线 那是关键所在
Got to know the bottom line. That’s all that counts.
不过这个人没什么本事
But he didn’t have the goods, this guy.
就跟你碰过的很多人一样
Like lots of guys you run into…
想发财,想迅速致富,想一步登天
…they want to get rich, do it quick, be there with one score…
可是他们不愿意做该做的事 懂我的意思吗?
But they’re not willing to do what’s necessary. You know what I mean?
不太懂,你是说打基础?辛苦打拼?
I’m not sure. You mean do the groundwork? Earn it?
不是 我是说做该做的事
No, I mean, do what’s necessary.
不择手段
Whatever is necessary.

Yes-
我知道那种 我讨厌那种人,让我恶心人
I know that kind of guy. I hate that. It makes me sick.
我也是
Me too.
我就像那种人
I’m a lot like that.
桌上有你的留言 我一个小时以后回去
Some messages are on your desk. I’ll be back in an hour.
天哪,贝芙莉看到你没有
Jesus! Did Beverly see you?
我等到看到她走才进来
I waited until I saw her leave.
请你不要生气
Please, don’t be angry.
我没有生气,你是怎么进来的?
Angry? I’m not angry. How did you get in?
门没锁
It didn’t lock.
耐德,抱住我
Ned, hold me.
拜托
Please.
抱住我
Just hold me.
天哪,我爱你
God, I love you!
今天早上他走了
He left this morning.
我一定要见见你 我知道
I had to see you.
我不能打电♥话♥
I couldn’t call.
我怕 我怕你不让我来
I was afraid to. I was afraid you wouldn’t let me come.
没错,你不能打电♥话♥,绝对不能打
You mustn’t call. Never call.
打电♥话♥要小心,电♥话♥公♥司♥会有记录
Be careful. The phone company keeps records.
我很小心
I am careful.
耐德,我好恨
Ned, I hated it.
我好恨跟你们两个坐着,我觉得我快尖叫了
I hated sitting there with you two. I thought I’d scream.
你做得很对 你从家里打到我家去过
You called my apartment from the house.
从来没有 – 那两次呢?
No, never. – Those two times?
我到电♥话♥亭打的
I went to phone booths.
我怕他,我一直很怕他
I’m afraid of him…
很好,现在打电♥话♥一定要小心
That’s good. Be very careful now about the phones.
为什么现在要这么说?两通电♥话♥可以解释得过去
Why say this now? – We can account for some calls.
我们连络过,这说得通
We’ve had some contact.
为什么,耐德,怎么回事?
Why? What’s happened?
因为我们要杀他
Because we’re going to kill him.
我们俩心里都有数
We both know that.
这是你的心愿对不对?
It’s what you want, isn’t it?
我们知道会这样
We knew it was coming.
只有这样我们才能得到我们要的一切对吗?
It’s the only way we can have everything we want.
他会死
That man is going to die…
没什么理由,反正我们要他死
…for no reason but we want him dead.
千万别说他不该死
He doesn’t deserve it. Let’s not ever say that.
我们是为了我们才动手的 你继承他名下一半的财产 遗嘱是那么写的对吧
We’ll do it for us. You get half of all he owns, that’s what the will says.
就这样了
That’s it, then.
我们要杀他
We’re going to kill him.
我知道该怎么做
And I think I know how.
真的要动手?真的要动手
It’s real, then? – It’s real, all right.
如果不小心我们就完了
And if we’re not careful, it’ll be the last real thing we do.
(轧碎机房♥)
海泽的妈妈想尽办法 让爱德蒙心里惦记着海泽
Her mother works plenty hard to keep Heather on Edmund’s mind.
老是带她来玩 报告她在学校里做的每一件事
Always bringing her around, reporting on what she does in school.
那个罗丝精得很
That Roz is a smart one.
你要知道海泽继承的东西 全部都归罗丝 海泽连一眼都看不到
And anything Heather inherits goes to Roz. Heather won’t even see it.
我就是受不了这一点 一半财产归她是不对的
That’s what seems so wrong, that half of it should go to her.
事情就是这样,我们一点办法也没有
There’s nothing we can do about it.
你确定?
Are you sure?
我在想也许有办法
I was thinking that maybe there is.
我知道遗嘱摆在迈阿密爱德蒙的律师那里
The will is with Edmund’s lawyer in Miami. I know that.
如果我叫他把遗嘱拿回来呢?
What if I got him to bring it home?
我们可不可以改写一下变更遗嘱
And couldn’t we rewrite it? Change it?
稍微改变一下对我们来说就是一大笔钱
Every change would mean a lot for us.
你是律师,你知道该怎么写
You’re a lawyer. You know how to write it.
不会很奇怪的
It wouldn’t seem so odd.
我可以说,他把遗嘱拿回来 我们讨论以后决定在这里做一点修改
I’d say he brought it home and we decided to make some changes up here.
我已经认识你了 – 不行
And I knew you already… – No!
绝对不行
Forget it.
我不懂为什么海泽要分一半 听我说,马蒂
Why should Heather take half?
现在他的生活不能发生什么怪事
Nothing strange can happen in his life now.
不能有一点反常的事
Not one thing out of the ordinary.
这很重要,这是最要紧的事
That’s the most important thing.
如果有的话,我们失手的机率会加倍
If it does, the chances double that we get caught.
你可以得到他一半的财产,很多了
You’ll get half of everything.
不管是什么我们都会满意,我们不能贪心
It’ll be plenty, not matter what. We won’t get greedy.
如果贪心就会倒霉
If we do, we’ll get burned.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!