and he wouldn’t hear of it.
他根本不肯听
It’s not what they do.
他们不做那种事
It’s not a good way to go, apparently.
很显然 那不是什么安详的死法
It’s several minutes of agony.
会痛苦挣扎好几分钟
No. No, I don’t want that.
不行 我不想那样
No, of course not.
不 当然不行
You do have a life, too, you know.
你要知道 你也有自己的人生
You are allowed to think of yourself.
为自己考虑一下 不是什么罪过
Chin up. We’re doing very well.
抬起下巴 非常好
Well, Mrs. Cavendish, we do have some progress to report.
卡文迪许太太 我们有些新进展
Progress?
进展
We’re learning to swallow again.
我们已经重新学会了吞咽
We are?
是吗
It’s more significant than it sounds.
听起来可能微不足道 但实际上意义重大
At present, we have an inflated cuff round our tracheotomy tube
现在我们的呼吸管上 有一个充气的套环
to stop food and drink going down our windpipe.
用来阻止食物和水进到呼吸管里
If we can swallow again,
如果可以重新吞咽
the cuff can be removed, and air can get to the larynx.
套环就可以拿走 气流可以接触到喉咙
Then we’ll be able to talk again.
我们就可以重新说话了
Might there be other progress, too?
还有什么其他进展吗
This is about as good as it’s going to get, I’m afraid.
恐怕目前就是这样了
How are we this morning?
今天早上我们感觉怎么样
We wish we were dead. Good, good.
我们想去死呢 很好 很好
Good morning to you, Paddy.
早上好 派迪
He couldn’t go on having no name,
孩子不能一直没有名字
so I decided to call him Jonathan.
所以我决定叫他乔纳森
I hope that’s all right.
希望这个名字还可以
He never even looks at him.
他从来都不看孩子
He can’t bear to even look at him.
他连看一眼都无法忍♥受
You don’t know that.
你又不知道
Yes, I do.
我知道
I do. I know everything he’s thinking.
我知道 他想什么我都知道
Every time I come here, I hope he’ll have changed.
每次我到了那里 都希望他能有所改变
Nearly there.
马上就好
But he can’t bear to look at his own son.
但他连自己的亲生儿子都没法看
Well done.
非常棒
An old priest I knew once, a very holy man,
我曾认识一位老神父 是个非常高尚的人
he used to say,
他曾说
“Those that God loves most,
“上帝对人爱得越深沉
He allows to suffer most.”
就会让他遭受越多苦难”
We can’t know the mind of God,
我们无从知晓上帝的思想
but we can be sure that whatever happens to us
但我们可以肯定 无论发生什么
is somehow part of His plan.
都是上帝的安排
I’m sorry. I didn’t get that.
抱歉 我没听清
Move closer.
凑近点
Closer. Yes, of course.
近点 好的 当然
Yes, well… I’ll be on my way.
好吧 我这就走
I’m thinking you’re not a believer.
看来你不是个信徒
Believer in what?
什么的信徒
God’s a joke.
上帝就是个笑话
Hmm. No, pal.
不是的 老兄
God’s a joker.
上帝是个小丑
Look at the pig’s mickey he’s made of you and me.
看那个混♥蛋♥把我们捉弄成什么样了
How do you live like this?
这种日子你是怎么活下来的
Ah… You get used to it.
你会习惯的
What if I don’t?
我要是习惯不了呢
Well, there’s always a way out.
总会解脱的
Like Pete there got out.
像那边的彼得 他就解脱了
In his own private box.
去了他自己的小匣子里
Robin.
罗宾
Robin.
罗宾
Robin.
罗宾
Why do you keep on coming here?
你为什么总来这里
I don’t really know.
我也不知道
I’m no use to you.
我对你毫无用处
You really must leave me here to rot now.
你应该把我留在这里 让我自生自灭
Well, it wouldn’t look very good.
那可不怎么好看
And apparently, I love you.
而且很显然 我爱你
You don’t love this. You can’t love this.
你不爱这样的我 你不可能爱这样的我
Apparently, I can.
很显然 我能
Well, I don’t want you to.
我不想让你爱我
Don’t you understand that?
你还不明白吗
Makes it harder for me.
这会让我更难受
Yes, I can see that.
我能看出来
You’d rather just pack it in, I know.
我知道 你巴不得就此放弃
And bloody machine
可这个该死的机器
that keeps on breathing for me.
还一直在帮我呼吸
So it looks
所以看起来
as if you’re going to
你可能得
have to stick around for a while, doesn’t it?
多活一阵子了 对吗
I’m sorry to say.
看来是这样了 抱歉
I’m not sorry.
我不觉得抱歉
I want Jonathan to know you.
我希望乔纳森能认识你
And maybe… Maybe I can make life a little better for you.
如果可能的话 我也希望能让你好过一些
Don’t want your duty.
我不需要你负什么责任
Yes, all right.
行 好吧
All right. All right. We know all about that.
好吧 好吧 我们都心知肚明
Everything’s as bad as it could possibly be.
所有这一切都糟透了
But I can’t go on coming in here
但我受不了每次一来这里
and have you say that you wish you were dead.
就听你说你想去死
Because you’re not dead, and that’s that.
因为你还没有死 事实就是这样了
Robin.
罗宾
Robin.
罗宾
Come on, there must be something I can do
肯定有什么我力所及的事
to make things more bearable.
能让你好过一点
Get me out of here.
让我离开这里
I’m afraid it’s out of the question. I’m sorry.
这恐怕是不可能的 抱歉
Well, has anyone ever tried?
以前有人试过吗
No one with your husband’s degree of disability
像你丈夫这种瘫痪等级
anywhere in the world
世界上还没有任何
exists outside a hospital.
离开医院的先例
But I’ve watched what the nurses do,
但我观察过护士是怎么做的
and if we had a ventilator at home,
只要我们在家装一台呼吸机就行了
I just don’t see why it wouldn’t work.
我不知道为什么行不通
Allow me to explain.
让我来解释一下
Your husband is only alive
你丈夫之所以能活着
because a machine is breathing for him.
全靠那台机器维持他的呼吸
If that machine should fail,
机器一旦发生故障
in under two minutes, your husband would be dead.
两分钟之内 你的丈夫就会死掉
Forgive me if I speak plainly.
原谅我的直白
Do I make myself clear?
我说得够清楚了吗
I’ll be sad to go, of course, after all these years.
我也很舍不得这里 毕竟生活了这么多年
But since Muriel died, I can’t seem to get on top of things.
但穆里尔去世后 我真的没法留在这里了
Things can run away from you, you know.
物是人非了 你懂的
Yes.
我懂
It’s a lot of work. Is the roof sound?
这里需要好好翻修一下 屋顶还好吗
Some of it.
一部分还行
Why are so many of the windows bricked up?
为什么很多窗户都封起来了
Ah. Oh, yes, those are my rooms.
噢 对 那些都是我的房♥间
Muriel said it saved such a lot on the heating bills.
穆里尔说这样可以节省暖气费
Did she?
是吗
Well, it’s a lot of work, but it might do.
这里需要好好翻修 但也还说得过去
The thing is, I haven’t got £12,000,
问题是 我没有一万两千英镑
or anywhere near that, really.
远远不够
I’d take 11, or even 10.
我可以降到一万一 或者一万
All I can manage is seven.
我只付得起七千
Seven? Cash.
七千吗 现金
And then you’d be rid of the place forever.
然后你就可以彻底摆脱这里了
And Muriel.
还有穆里尔
Yes. Really?
行 真的吗

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!